BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea V Rovers Preview

colin

Have you got the lottery numbers as well? I heard and saw nothing of the game. I read The Observer in which The Expert roundly blamed the players for this defeat. I see Philip thinks we have a chance at Old Trafford. I hope so because despite swearing never to go to another Big Four away game under Allardyce I've got tickets!! sad.gif

see you in Manchester then Paul, I am dreading it!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

see you in Manchester then Paul, I am dreading it!

OK. It's half term and Tom is home so he'll have a great time, which is why we are going but I have to say taking him is the only reason I'm going.

According to mirror online Dunn and Samba have confirmed swine flu and other squad members are showing symptoms. May help to understand the lack of performance in the second half. Although a poor 20mins cost us, you just can't afford to let your heads drop against teams like Chelsea and Arsenal.

I think a lot of people are missing what's going on here.

Forget the debate about big Sam or the tactics, because neither of those are the fundamental reasons behind the current Arsenal/Chelsea results. Some of the fans on here have expressed views that the way forward for us, as a club, is to sell at the top and buy cheap.That's what we have done and this is where we are. People seemed happy to take the cash believing that we could replace with better and move forwards. Taking on the likes of Arsenal - or any of the big four - is difficult, even with the likes of the Bellamy's, Bentley's, Santa Cruz's or Warnocks. Without them it's impossible. Now maybe the player sales were inevitable - maybe they weren't, but those of us watching rovers, or football in general, know there's only one direction selling your best players takes you.

All of that misses the point though doesn't it? It was always sell and buy cheap while using the rest for other positions but that never happened. So why complain against what others said when it did not come to pass? They did not suggest to simply replace a top quality player with a cheap one and pocket the rest. It was always about the good of the squad as a whole.

Nobody said sell high and buy cheap and leave a huge gap in between. Yet that is what has happened. We sold Santa Cruz and brought in Kalinic. We sold Warnock and brought in Chimbonda. Fine but the thing is we are supposed to kick on from there and buy some other players too. We now know that will not happen anymore.

Blackburn Rovers are a selling club alas. We obviously need to make more money each season from transfers out than transfers in. Bemoaning selling our players is a bit like bemoaning that we are not top of the league. It changes nothing.

If you stand still you go backwards they say. We are actually going backwards a little bit each summer on our own to compound that some more.

That was a totally unacceptable performance by a Rovers side. Those players were not fit to wear the shirt.

Under Mark Hughes we had grit, determination and a fighting spirit. We may not have won but they would have known they'd been in a game.

We lost 6-2 at Arsenal and 4-0 at Chelsea under Hughes.

Allardyce alone is not the problem here. It runs deeper than that. Money talks...and we don't say too much these days...

That's too easy of an excuse and it totally ignores how many upsets there have already been this season. The fact is that since he has taken charge Allardyce has got his tactics wrong in every encounter with the big four. Now this isn't a huge problem, but if we continue to pick up nothing from the bigger sides it adds even more importance to the matches against clubs around us. A tactic against better sides has to be found, if it isn't then the manager isn't doing his job properly. A manager who can only get his team to win against equal or inferior clubs isn't really doing a great job. We've only had one slightly surprising result this season and even that wasn't a real shock (Villa game).

According to mirror online Dunn and Samba have confirmed swine flu and other squad members are showing symptoms. May help to understand the lack of performance in the second half. Although a poor 20mins cost us, you just can't afford to let your heads drop against teams like Chelsea and Arsenal.

If that is true I can understand the reason for such a heavy loss, I had it a couple of months back now and couldn't get out of bed for four days.

That's too easy of an excuse and it totally ignores how many upsets there have already been this season. The fact is that since he has taken charge Allardyce has got his tactics wrong in every encounter with the big four. . . .

I don't know whether its true that Sam has got the tactics wrong in every encounter. 4-4-1-1 and his variants are very flexible formations. 4-4-2 is not the end all, be all.

Sam is an above average coach, and may be excellent. We've a rough opening schedule. Let's take a breath and wait until Christmas before we judge how the season is going.

And we now know that key players had/have swine flu. Others that were on the pitch are apparently now showing symptoms. It would explain the disconnect on the field, if true. Chelsea's victory may not be to Sam's "bad" tactics, but a team that was playing while under the weather. If so, they're fighters just for showing up (though they should have reported sick and seen a doctor, being sensible about things).

If it is true that we are targetting games to keep our best players fit then why not play the reserve squad against the top 4/6? That would completely avoid injuries/ fatigue to key players, would give the young 'uns a run out and most importantly be a team willing to COMPETE (for 1st team places, recognition, pride etc.) It would make it a cup tie for the kids and we all know what can happen in cup ties against "lesser" sides. It would also be a cynical slap in the face to the Big Teams - who play reserve sides in the League Cup which they don't care about until the later stages. Well if we don't care about games against the Big 4/6 why waste 1st teamers on them?

I reckon a team of Bunn/Kean, Gunning, Jones, Doran, Judge, Blackman, Rigters mixed in with a few experienced reserves/ fringe 1st teamers like Reid, Van Heerden, Salgado, Zurab, Hoilett, Olsson (yes I know a lot of them are on loan before anyone points it out) would make far more of a go of it than the overpayed wasters who turned up on Saturday.

That's too easy of an excuse and it totally ignores how many upsets there have already been this season. The fact is that since he has taken charge Allardyce has got his tactics wrong in every encounter with the big four. Now this isn't a huge problem, but if we continue to pick up nothing from the bigger sides it adds even more importance to the matches against clubs around us. A tactic against better sides has to be found, if it isn't then the manager isn't doing his job properly. A manager who can only get his team to win against equal or inferior clubs isn't really doing a great job. We've only had one slightly surprising result this season and even that wasn't a real shock (Villa game).

We've outperformed every side this season except for Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea. Arsenal and Chelsea were vastly superior to us and we could do little about it. The Arsenal tactics were spot on, we were just undone by near perfection from the entire Arsenal team. People can complain that we don't close down enough against teams, but there's no evidence that if we closed down the scores would have been different. There's ways to get around heavy closing down and teams like Arsenal and Chelsea certainly have the players to do that. You restrict teams to long shots and that makes the game easier for you. Unfortunately, all the long shots they take seem to be top notch or Robinson's positioning should come under question. If you watched the Spurs vs Stoke game, you would've seen Stoke do the same thing against Spurs, but Spurs were just incredibly unlucky throughout the entire game. They probably had more chances than Arsenal did against us, but still managed to lose 1-0, so that's that.

It's no excuse to perform poorly and Sam has indentified that, but to call these an "upset" or panic about the abysmal state of the team is pretty ridiculous. We're on exactly the amount of points I predicted we would be by this time in the season and there have been absolutely no surprises so far.

If it is true that we are targetting games to keep our best players fit then why not play the reserve squad against the top 4/6? That would completely avoid injuries/ fatigue to key players, would give the young 'uns a run out and most importantly be a team willing to COMPETE (for 1st team places, recognition, pride etc.) It would make it a cup tie for the kids and we all know what can happen in cup ties against "lesser" sides. It would also be a cynical slap in the face to the Big Teams - who play reserve sides in the League Cup which they don't care about until the later stages. Well if we don't care about games against the Big 4/6 why waste 1st teamers on them?

I reckon a team of Bunn/Kean, Gunning, Jones, Doran, Judge, Blackman, Rigters mixed in with a few experienced reserves/ fringe 1st teamers like Reid, Van Heerden, Salgado, Zurab, Hoilett, Olsson (yes I know a lot of them are on loan before anyone points it out) would make far more of a go of it than the overpayed wasters who turned up on Saturday.

Fielding a weakened team will be in contravention of Prem League rules. Basically we'd get done.

All of that misses the point though doesn't it? It was always sell and buy cheap while using the rest for other positions but that never happened. So why complain against what others said when it did not come to pass? They did not suggest to simply replace a top quality player with a cheap one and pocket the rest. It was always about the good of the squad as a whole.

Nobody said sell high and buy cheap and leave a huge gap in between. Yet that is what has happened. We sold Santa Cruz and brought in Kalinic. We sold Warnock and brought in Chimbonda. Fine but the thing is we are supposed to kick on from there and buy some other players too. We now know that will not happen anymore.

Blackburn Rovers are a selling club alas. We obviously need to make more money each season from transfers out than transfers in. Bemoaning selling our players is a bit like bemoaning that we are not top of the league. It changes nothing.

If you stand still you go backwards they say. We are actually going backwards a little bit each summer on our own to compound that some more.

I'm not sure what you're saying here FLB. I was merely trying to point out that continually selling your best players will see us in the position we are now. Look at the broader picture, rather than the Chelsea game in isolation.

If you think differently, I must say the proof is in the league table.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Not sure we have the players for it though, particularly in midfield.

Julie Andrews

Mortified Aghast Pedestrian

Al Hedge

Steven Inval-eid

Cindergrella

Nice Guy Nelsen

Nicki Kalinic

Benni Mac

They ain't bullying anybody. Panto perhaps? But where's Steven N'zonzi? (He's behind you!)

Ha ha brilliant! Got another one for you though -

Betty Emerton

The fact is that since he has taken charge Allardyce has got his tactics wrong in every encounter with the big four.

That's not a fact, that's your opinion, and it's wrong as usual. We were brilliant at Old Trafford last season and definitely deserved something from that game. Hopefully we can put in a similar performance on Saturday.

That's not a fact, that's your opinion, and it's wrong as usual. We were brilliant at Old Trafford last season and definitely deserved something from that game. Hopefully we can put in a similar performance on Saturday.

They've just lost to their rivals Pool, Fergie will have them chomping at the bit on Saturday and we're the bit. We will have to all be at the top of our game for the full 90 minutes if we are to stand a chance. Trouble is I don't remember the last time we've done that for a full 90, so lets hope we start on Saturday.

At the end of the day I'm going to take a diiferent approach and attitude to this game. I was hopeful of nicking something against Chelsea until the second half started, so for United I'm expecting a 6-0 thumping hopefully I'm wrong again.

i hope we go to stamford bridge with the attitude we went to the emirates,we will have our centre backs back,hopefully we will not play roberts,i would rather see benni and junior up front.all we must do is close players down,forgot it twice on sunday,and 6 times at the arse :rolleyes:

:rover: i dont pretend to be the EXPERT,but what was that all about lardarse :blush::brfcsmilie:

The confirmation of the swine flu may go some way to force the change of verdict by some including myself.

However short of what's been said, it was all so very similar to the previous away games - and what can you expect when the team that shuts up shop against the sworn enemy at home in game that they where totally in control of.

No doubt about it, despite the 'flu', the approach and attitude to these games by the 'expert ' is transpiring itself onto the players , in addition, every 10 men and his dog who went to mow , know Roberts can't play up front on his own and if you insist on trying to nick something from a game you do not go with only x1 forward especially one who cannot hit a cow's arse when in form.

Sam will escspe the full wrathe on this one due to very significance of the virus 'outbreak' - but something has to change - quickly.

Have been in London all weekend so this is the first time I've had a read of the mb since the game.

What an utterly pathetic day all round. The only one good thing from the game was Robbo's save late in the first half but that is about it. Was pretty lucky to be just 1-0 down at half time, but then we had our increasingly expected collapse in the second half. Bit of closing down and tackling wouldn't go amiss now and again - you could see Essien's goal coming a mile off. The substitutions were pointless - what was Hoilett going to do at 5-0 down? I can't work out what is worse the tactics or the players performance. Either way something needs to change as we cannot keep leaking in goals like that.

I've just seen on the news about the swine flu, which is fair enough if players were ill. But it isn't as if we've caught swine flu and were just crap for this game as a one off - this is about the same as many other away games over the past few months.

Was also probably one of the worst atmospheres of any game I've been to - most sat around us were just football tourists and obviously not Rovers fans. Was just horrid.

:angry2::angry:

Thnaks to Sentanta Canada, I've just watched our '96 demolition of Sheff Weds 7-2, and it has depressed me immensely.

Firstly, two forwards - TWO - chasing everything, giving the centre halves no time on the ball. Two wingers - real wingers - who run, at pace, past players and crtoss into dangerous areas; something Spit and MGP haven't done all season. Every corner from Rippers and Jase has been far better than ANY corner from MGP and Spit. Two central mids who harry, tackle, get into both boxes and can pick a pass to runners off the ball.

The contrsat to Saturday could not be greater. And it wasn't that great a team either: no Shearer or Sherwood.

IT isn't a difficult game if you work harder than the guy you are up against, something we have only done once so far this season.

Archived