I think that Di Santo would be a great signing because:

He has shown a natural goal scoring ability

He hits the target most of the time

He creates chances

His natural ability shines through

He scored against Burnley

He speaks highly of Blackburn

He supported us when we played Chelsea.

I think it is fair to say that there is quite a large amount of sentiment present on this thread.

Actually there is a lot of it on the board as a whole. Remember a few weeks back... "Let's replace Sam with Newell & Shearer!!!"

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's useless.

Can't understand why we extended his loan.

Get rid.

I think he's a victim of the system and tactics, lumping the ball to him to try and control with his shoulder, isn't going to help the lad develop.

That said he doesn't look at natural goal scorer and is way over priced at 6m.

He's useless.

Can't understand why we extended his loan.

Get rid.

Useless?

How do you explain the constant running?

The overall enthusiasm?

The touch for dunny to score against burnley?

The overhead kick attempt that won us the penalty against villa?

His overall work rate?

I agree his shooting hasn't been up to much. But he is far from useless.

Useless?

How do you explain the constant running?

The overall enthusiasm?

The touch for dunny to score against burnley?

The overhead kick attempt that won us the penalty against villa?

His overall work rate?

I agree his shooting hasn't been up to much. But he is far from useless.

To be fair, if you're singling out running, enthusiasm and isolated nice touches here and there then you're proving the point really. Useless is a little harsh maybe but I would be dead against signing him up unless he starts showing big signs of improvement.

Useless simon ?

Come off it mate, surely your confusing Andrews with di Santo. Andrews is useless at least with Frank we see effort, tackling and heading whereas with good old KA it a simple pointing action that he cant cock up !!

I reckon both di Santo and Niko will be quality once the midfield is addressed.

Ruud van Nistelrooy would struggle for goals with our midfield.

Bit of a misconception blaming the midfield entirely for the "strikers" goal drought. The guys up front have to be able to carve out their own openings as well ya no.

Yep, I know you didn't say entirely, but a lot of posters put the lack of goals completely down to the midfield.

Bit of a misconception blaming the midfield entirely for the "strikers" goal drought. The guys up front have to be able to carve out their own openings as well ya no.

Yep, I know you didn't say entirely, but a lot of posters put the lack of goals completely down to the midfield.

Exactly, and when our two main strikers have been given the chance theyve either been unlucky (Kalinic, with his multiple woodwork strikes and wrongly disallowed goals), or had poor finishing (Di Santo).

Its the midfields fault he has missed how many sitters this season? :glare:

Runs around alot, has a half decent touch on him and thats about it really. From what we have seen his shooting and composure is pathetic and his heading is wayward at best.

Id be willing to take a punt on him for peanuts (1 to 2 million) but the 4 to 6 million Chelsea have apparently stuck on his head is beyond a joke really. :blink:

Runs around alot, has a half decent touch on him and thats about it really. From what we have seen his shooting and composure is pathetic and his heading is wayward at best.

Id be willing to take a punt on him for peanuts (1 to 2 million) but the 4 to 6 million Chelsea have apparently stuck on his head is beyond a joke really. :blink:

Totally agree. However 1 or 2 million is not peanuts to us. You will probably find that it is a sizeable percentage of our budget! Get rid, nothing lost.

He lacks composure which comes with experience, confidence, and a bit of luck. Playing him out on the right or as a striker in a 4-5-1 formation will never allow him to have enough chances to develop composure. From what I've seen in the games I wouldn't advocate signing him unless it was on the cheap. However, if Sam sees it differently in training and believes that eventually he will become a good player and will be able to partner kalinic I wouldn't be disappointed if he does sign.

You tell us. I don't think he's missed that many. I think the situation was epitomized against Stoke. It wasn't exactly an easy chance, but it was one of the rare few we created therefore he received the pressure for missing it.

As it's been said, if Di Santo took every first chance he wouldn't be here. He's not the finished article, but if we had a midfield we could cross on a regular basis and play it behind defences, it would give him the chance to build his technique and composure. Because of the way we play, he has to labour chances by himself. Hardly confidence building.

I didn't think my question was that difficult to answer...

Given the chances and the position he has found himself in, how is the midfield to blame for him failing to notch up more than one goal? And even then that goal was a free header from all of 1 yard out?

Im not denying the midfield has about as much creativity as a beige wall but blame cannot be fired at them when Di Santo totally fluffs guilt edged chances.

I didn't think my question was that difficult to answer...

Given the chances and the position he has found himself in, how is the midfield to blame for him failing to notch up more than one goal? And even then that goal was a free header from all of 1 yard out?

He hasn't had many sitters to miss, to be honest. Unfortunately, strikers who take every half-chance are hard to find. I think you're being overly critical, because it's obvious that he's here to develop his goalscoring as he's not the finished article.

Again is it the midfields fault for him fluffing chances? Im not asking if the midfield creates enough chances for him...

He's young and feeling the pressure that comes with perhaps having one chance a game to score (if that). He's worth signing as a foil for Kalinic is the price is right. He's also better than Kalinic at playing as a lone striker.

Archived