BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

The lad has talent and works hard, as a striker though you must be scoring goals and he is not, having said that and todays news about Benni, can we afford to lose two strikers???

What is todays news about Bennie?

I wouldn't mind Rovers going for klasnic currently at Bolton. Get rid of Roberts as well.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A striker with one (gimme) goal in half a season?!? We should be docking his bloody wages not upping em FFS! How cheeky is that? Stay or go laddie we don't really care. Flatters to deceive. Thankfully we have a month plus to replace him.

But it's yet another chip off the block of supporters patience and loyalty. football mercenaries will get the game done away with.

We usually agree on football matters, Theno, but I can't agree here. I think Di Santo is a quality player, but like most strikers (except for the exceptional ones like Torres - based on last night at least!) he needs service. If he had Bentley whipping in crosses for him like Santa Cruz had he'd have bagged quite a few more goals this season.

As it is we have no wingers to speak of and no fit creative midfielders (and even when fit we only have the one and his legs have gone). It's a nightmarish situation for a young striker and quite frankly I'm impressed that he continues to work his socks off for a lost cause.

For mine he should be partnered with Kalinic for the rest of the season. They seem to have an understanding, but more to the point the fact they're both big, strong (ish), quick, skillfull and enthusiastic means they'd provide many more options for this team than Benni (who don't get me wrong is talented, but if the ball isn't played to his feet he's useless) and Roberts (who is useless).

If we can aqcuire his services permanently for a smallish fee we'll reap the benefits in the long run. It's one of those signings you're always harping on about - a player that we take in young and cheap, turn their career around and flog them for three times as much (Santa Cruz, Warnock, Bentley etc).

I like this lad – I think he's a genuine bloke that really wants to succeed.

Just watched his interview on Rovers Player and he signs off by saying: "thank you very much and I will try to do my best for the supporters and the team."

Can't imagine many of our players saying something like that.

I think he has developed quite a liking for Rovers since he's been here and I hope his luck changes for the better in front of goal.

Go on Franco!

Guest Kamy100

Good news. He may not have scored that many goals but in my mind this lad has talent, his hold up and link up play are of the highest order, also has superb work rate. Hopefully he can now add some goals to this.

I do think that this lad will prove a few of his critics wrong and bag a few goals from now on in.

Yes he has fluffed a few one on one's but the service he receives from our so-called wingers(apologies to David Wagstaffe, Stuart Ripley, Jason Wilcox and Noel Brotherston) and creative midfielders (apologies to Tugay etc..)has been pitiful.

Deal signed sealed and delivered

6 month extension agreed and announced by the club.

Excellent. I'm glad to see that his agent has finally exercised some common sense.

When do we want the next 6 monthly goal to come? Burnley again?

If he's only allowed one goal in the next 6 months, then that would be the one to score.

Strange that no fee has been agreed at this point as we could have probably negotiated a low fee based on his current showings

I was thinking the same, now would have been the ideal time to negotiate a future fee.

I think the only reason we won't have done so is because we'd have to pay a lump sum up front to have first refusal(probably about £500k if other similar deals can be used as a yard stick), and we're probably going to need that money to address the midfield problem.

I'm not sure about extending this loan, unless Benni does end up leaving.. I would like to see Kalinic get more playing time and having Di Santo hinders that... having said that we need 4 strikers

we just need 1 that is'nt hopeless, i'd happily swap 4 misfiring shot shy strikers for 1 half decent striker.

I'm not sure about extending this loan, unless Benni does end up leaving.. I would like to see Kalinic get more playing time and having Di Santo hinders that... having said that we need 4 strikers

From what I can determine (in my non-expert opinion), Sam's plan is to:

1. keep Di Santo and Kalinic.

2. motivate Benni to perform as a starter or replace him.

3. motivate Roberts to perform as an impact sub or replace him.[1]

Either way, I think that Kalinic will be getting a lot more starts. Which is a very good thing.

Going one step further, I suspect/hope that Kalinic and Di Santo will both start this Saturday. If Roberts and Benni need to be sold to make needed purchases, exposing either Benni or Roberts to unnecessary risk of injury is counter-productive. Also, at least at present, the FA Cup can't be treated with the same importance as the League Cup, so it is an ideal opportunity to give Di Santo and Kalinic a run out together.

[1] Looking at the club website, Roberts, a first team striker, does not have a sponsor. Even newbies such as Kalinic and Di Santo have sponsors. Demonstrates the lack of support Roberts has in the community, if you ask me. A good clue that we need to replace him with someone who inspires more confidence.

Archived