BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

He missed a really good chance at Bolton away, missed a one-on-one early at Fulham, missed a one-on-one at home to Stoke, missed a simple header away at Stoke - there is four of the top of my head. He should watch Jason Roberts 'finishing' video on the BBC website.

Didnt he get his feet all in a mess when confronted a very good chance against Liverpool?

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His finishing is abject. Worse even than big Jase. However on the other hand most of the rest of his game is very good. Good touch, pace, workrate, strength, height.

If Sam feels he can get goals out of him he could be a very good singing.

However I can hardly see the value for Chelsea in selling him for the pittance we are willing to spend. They may as well hold on and see if he improves and then sell for more.

Gut feeling is he will be at Ewood on loan again next season.

Wouldn't it be great if Franco scored the winner against Burnley in March. Comes on loan for a season, manages a pathetic 2 goals, both enough to secure wins agains Burnley and then he returns to Chelsea never to be seen again. He'd be a hero in my eyes.

you've pretty much described the comet know as Johnny Stead!!! :blush:

• 2 months later...

Di Santo takes swipe at Rovers

Chelsea striker Franco Di Santo has taken a parting shot at Blackburn Rovers after he spent a season on loan here at Ewood Park.

Di Santo was a hit at first in East Lancashire, but after a poor run of not scoring was left floundering on the bench/in the reserves.

At first, Di Santo was full of praise for Rovers - even at one time suggesting he would like them to beat Chelsea.

But after his spell of being out of the first team, he has reversed like a Ford Focus and complained about Rovers being a mid-table club and about being a lone striker.

Franco, speaking to an Argentine press conference said - "People at Chelsea were angered by the fact that I wasn`t playing regularly."

"When you do not have a chance to score when playing at the front of a one-man attack, and you fight and fight, it is difficult for any striker."

"We can not compare Blackburn, which is just a mid-table club, to a Chelsea side that has the best players in the world."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think this is just sour grapes from Di Santo.

Nice to see he hasn't took it too personally, shame he couldn't get a game at the end of the season in our mid-table side, lets face it he would have spent the entire season in the reserves had he stayed at Chelsea.

Chelsea striker Franco Di Santo has taken a parting shot at Blackburn Rovers after he spent a season on loan here at Ewood Park.

Di Santo was a hit at first in East Lancashire, but after a poor run of not scoring was left floundering on the bench/in the reserves.

At first, Di Santo was full of praise for Rovers - even at one time suggesting he would like them to beat Chelsea.

But after his spell of being out of the first team, he has reversed like a Ford Focus and complained about Rovers being a mid-table club and about being a lone striker.

Franco, speaking to an Argentine press conference said - "People at Chelsea were angered by the fact that I wasn`t playing regularly."

"When you do not have a chance to score when playing at the front of a one-man attack, and you fight and fight, it is difficult for any striker."

"We can not compare Blackburn, which is just a mid-table club, to a Chelsea side that has the best players in the world."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think this is just sour grapes from Di Santo.

Nice to see he hasn't took it too personally, shame he couldn't get a game at the end of the season in our mid-table side, lets face it he would have spent the entire season in the reserves had he stayed at Chelsea.

He's a hurt kid at the moment. Perhaps we should send the Argentine press a dvd of the one on ones he missed.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt and say a lot that is frustration and not vitriol. To an extent, I sympathize, because playing up front for Rovers is a thankless task these days.

He's a hurt kid at the moment. Perhaps we should send the Argentine press a dvd of the one on ones he missed.

Exactly which part of that statement is not valid?

Just how much more mid-table could we possibly get ?

To be fair to him, all he's really said is that it's difficult playing as a lone striker when you have to fight for everything and don't have many chances to score, I don't think the likes of Niko, Roberts or Benni would disagree with him.

He then referred to us as a mid table club, hardly an insult really.

I wish him all the best in the future, it never quite worked out for him and he did miss a few chances but he seemed to work hard and at least publicly didn't make a big deal about finding himself on the bench. He was a young inexperienced striker who was part of a struggling team when he was a regular feature in the side, when our form changed it was always difficult to put him back into the side.

I'm delighted with the season as a whole but one of the things I would have liked to have seen a few more times was Niko and Franco as a partnership. Franco was a long way off being a hit here but I think he has time on his side and the talent to make it as a premiership striker, only time will tell I guess.

Exactly which part of that statement is not valid?

Just how much more mid-table could we possibly get ?

There is no part of those comments that I would define as a swipe. It's all true, isn't it?

Journo looking to spice up a nothing story with a poor headline. People never voice mild discontent anymore, they 'slam' etc.

I read the article and kept looking for the parting swipe... there doesn't appear to be one. We are a mid table team, he was up front on his own fighting for the ball, quite often with very little support.

Think he is stating facts to be fair.

i agree with him. i also don't believe it is a parting shot, just stating some facts. rovers playing one up front is depressing for the striker when we resort to big boot. usually means we get some creativity from midfield instead at other parts of the games when we aren't launching it, but it's been painful to watch kalinic and di santo up front on their own at times, knowing that they belong in a team that play less of the long ball stuff. we really didn't utilise either of them how they should have been.

di santo missed some bad chances but most strikers get a few chances a game laid on for them. di santo ended up with one good chance every two games. it's little wonder he was rusty at times, especially considering his age.

hopefully it'll be two up next year. for the majority of home games at least

Whilst it's hard being a lone striker, he missed plenty of chances so he should keep his mouth shut.

If he goes back to Chelsea and complains about being a lone striker then he'll be out of that club straight away. Both Drogba and Anelka have played as lone front men to great effect, so if Di Santo can't hack it then he's obviously not good enough.

Whilst it's hard being a lone striker, he missed plenty of chances so he should keep his mouth shut.

If he goes back to Chelsea and complains about being a lone striker then he'll be out of that club straight away. Both Drogba and Anelka have played as lone front men to great effect, so if Di Santo can't hack it then he's obviously not good enough.

I don't read it as a 'sideswipe' he's simply saying it as it is.

Archived