BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Di santo will come good. Confidence, arrogance strength and nous can develop at different speeds in players. But how long that will be in the future or whether he will still be here or not I cannot say.

Anybody need an example look at the best in the world. Didier Drogba was crap in his first season but he is absolutely awesome now. Thierry Henry too took time before his career came to the fore. Midfield granted but Vierra too was plucked from Juve's ressies to dominate the Prem with Arsenal whilst Tugay was playing second fiddle to Barry bloody Ferguson ffs!

The key is having enough talent for the manager to have enough confidence to mould a style of play and team around it. KMD did exactly that with Shearer. Our entire game plan was built around supplying him with the type of service that he thrived on.

Vieira came from Milan, but decent points nonetheless.

When Drogba was Di Santo's age he was playing part time for Le Mans in Ligue 2. I would be disappointed if we let him go, if anything we've a chance to hammer Chelsea right down on the price.

When Drogba was Di Santo's age he was playing part time for Le Mans in Ligue 2. I would be disappointed if we let him go, if anything we've a chance to hammer Chelsea right down on the price.

Absolutely. Di Santo is not setting the League on fire but he's hardly falling flat on his face. Considering his age, that's a portent that great things may well come in time.

Rooney was playing in the Premiership at 16. The comparisons to other players are pointless. The fact remains that Di Santo hasn't shown any ability at this level, hence all Chelsea fans I know rubbing their hands at the thought of us buying him. Anyway this debate is somewhat pointless as he will be going back come Summer.

All the Chelsea fans you know rubbing their hands together at a £2m fee? That doesn't even pay Terry's wages.

£2m for Di Santo is easy money for the trustees thats providing they have the right guys in place to develop him further. :)

He may be slightly better at holding up the ball but Kalinic is far better up front on his own and the goals show that.

For now they may do, BUT when did Kalinic last score ?

I think Di santo will come good. Confidence, arrogance strength and nous can develop at different speeds in players. But how long that will be in the future or whether he will still be here or not I cannot say.

Anybody need an example look at the best in the world. Didier Drogba was crap in his first season but he is absolutely awesome now. Thierry Henry too took time before his career came to the fore. Midfield granted but Vierra too was plucked from Juve's ressies to dominate the Prem with Arsenal whilst Tugay was playing second fiddle to Barry bloody Ferguson ffs!

The key is having enough talent for the manager to have enough confidence to mould a style of play and team around it. KMD did exactly that with Shearer. Our entire game plan was built around supplying him with the type of service that he thrived on.

Is this a change of tune here thenodrog ?

I just hate getting rid of these players so early, so much potential if they make the right career decisions. I still hold hope though for Carlos Villanueva and Maceo Rigters so you never know.

"Why do you want to sign Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood?"

All the Chelsea fans you know rubbing their hands together at a £2m fee? That doesn't even pay Terry's wages.

Perhaps rubbing their hands was not the correct phrase. What I can say is that the Chelsea fans I know have no desire to see him return.

How did he do for the ressies last night?

At 20 he is still very young.....he will be a better player next season, it just depends how much they want for him.

£5m - No Thanks

£2m - Yes

I'm in danger of repeating myself here so sorry about this:

I just fail to see why people want us to sign him. He hasn't shown any reasons for us to possess any interest. Our budget is so tight! It now seems that we are only getting the Benni money if we finish 11th! Do people really think that two million is a small amount to us? Unless the Walker family want to set up a 'risk fund' on unproven players then I think the thought of signing him is madness.

Wouldn't it be great if Franco scored the winner against Burnley in March. Comes on loan for a season, manages a pathetic 2 goals, both enough to secure wins agains Burnley and then he returns to Chelsea never to be seen again. He'd be a hero in my eyes.

or you could see it as £2 million for a 21yr old striker with great potential.

it's whether your glass is half full or half empty I suppose.

If he'd managed to score even 5 or 6 goals in well over half a season and not fluff so many chances, I'd see the potential.

The only reason why you think he's got great potential is because he's been on Chelsea's books and he's Argentinian.

If he'd managed to score even 5 or 6 goals in well over half a season and not fluff so many chances, I'd see the potential.

The only reason why you think he's got great potential is because he's been on Chelsea's books and he's Argentinian.

How many goals has Kalinic scored, more importantly what type of goals were they, seem to remember a few 'tap ins'.

The reason I think he's got potential is because I've watched him play live and he seems decent. I'm not fickle enough to think because he's played for Chelsea he's the bee's.

So many chances? I struggle to think of more than 2 clear cut chances that Franco has missed for us.

Did you see kalinics first few games for us? Especially against Sunderland? He missed about 4 clear chances. Did you see the potential? Because someone did.

So many chances? I struggle to think of more than 2 clear cut chances that Franco has missed for us.

Did you see kalinics first few games for us? Especially against Sunderland? He missed about 4 clear chances. Did you see the potential? Because someone did.

Therein lies the rub. Kalinic had more chances in that one game than Franco has had this season. They both work hard on their own which can limit chances per game but crucially Nico has a striker's instinct and still gets in the right positions, even if he misses. Di Santo has games where he looks like he'll never get a chance if he plays all night.

Franco may well become a decent player but I can't imagine in a million years he'll ever be a real goalscorer.

You have to be a VERY good player to survive in this league if you play up front and don't score goals. Can Di Santo link up play that well and create enough chances for others? He seems a decent worker but he's nowhere near that good now and I have my doubts whether he will be even in a couple of years.

He missed a really good chance at Bolton away, missed a one-on-one early at Fulham, missed a one-on-one at home to Stoke, missed a simple header away at Stoke - there is four of the top of my head. He should watch Jason Roberts 'finishing' video on the BBC website.

Archived