BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

When the lad smashes in his first proper goal, he'll score a few. It's a confidence thing I'm sure.

I'd be happy playing him and McCarthy with Kalinic coming on as a sub more often than not. Roberts can do one. He couldn't shoot before but at least had some other redeeming qualities. These have now disappeared.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesss!!!! I think this will settle the lad more and we will start to see some goals. I actually feel like we can score when he is on the pitch but as has been pointed out a lack of decent service means he doesn't. Want to see more of him and Kalinic against teams we can beat, Benni and him against the tougher teams with Kalinic subbing Benni when he tires.

When the lad smashes in his first proper goal, he'll score a few. It's a confidence thing I'm sure.

Pretty much how I see it for both him & Kalinic.

I think its time to unleash Kalinic and Di Santo together - maybe this saturday to see how they work together....

I think both players have a big future, and hopefully they can be our 1st choice strike partnership for a number of years!

I think its time to unleash Kalinic and Di Santo together - maybe this saturday to see how they work together....

I think both players have a big future, and hopefully they can be our 1st choice strike partnership for a number of years!

I agree 100%

• Backroom

Glad to see Di Santo's loan deal extended. Some people on here seem to have some serious delusions of grandeur, from slagging off Di Santo to suggesting we can just nip in and grab Luca Toni :rolleyes:

Di Santo's a good player, and with a better supply line he would easily have bagged more than one goal by now. His job for long periods of the season has been to play with his back to goal, winning headers and linking up play with midfield. Yes, he's missed a few sitters, but all strikers do. The only reason his are magnified is because we have so few of them, and that's down to our lack of creativity as much as his awkwardness in front of goal.

We usually agree on football matters, Theno, but I can't agree here. I think Di Santo is a quality player, but like most strikers he needs service. If he had Bentley whipping in crosses for him like Santa Cruz had he'd have bagged quite a few more goals this season.

I disagree. He's doesn't have the ability or timing to head the ball from a cross. Kalinic does, Benny does but Di santo and MBE :rolleyes: don't. Di Santo can only 'glance' a header from the top of his head not his forehead.

I agree, I see potential in both, Di Santo may not have come up with the goals we hoped but all that pressure could have been taken off if some of the more experienced players had come up with a few more at times, I think this lad has all the potential in the world and just needs to get a few goals.

Very happy with him signing until the end of the season, I'm a little surprised Chelsea didn't want him, I think in a better team he'd be a pretty good asset.

Saturday is the perfect opportunity - its a game we are probably not expected to win - and what have we got to lose?!

Get on with it 4-4-2, headed by Kalinic & Di Santo

Totally agree 100% hughesy.

If we give both of them 90 mins aswell, because of the workrate, effort & sheer graft they put in, it would give O'neill something to think about for the 2 semi-finals.

Im confused have people got Di Santo (the 6 foot 2 paul dickov) for some player who is capable at scoring goals in the premiership?

I wonder if Keith Andrews had a fancy foreign name he would be given so much praise? He is average at best, he does alot of running about and has a half decent touch but has no ability to score or head a ball in an attacking manner.

Im confused have people got Di Santo (the 6 foot 2 paul dickov) for some player who is capable at scoring goals in the premiership?

I wonder if Keith Andrews had a fancy foreign name he would be given so much praise? He is average at best, he does alot of running about and has a half decent touch but has no ability to score or head a ball in an attacking manner.

Big difference,one is a 27year old never was,the other is a 20 year old gonna be.... :rover:

Gona be what exactly?

Looking at his career so far he has never been a goalscorer and sadly, scoring goals is the strikers main job.

This is his first proper season in the toughest league in the world,just what are you expecting from a 20 year old in a struggling team? Everybody can see this guy is going to be the bees knees in a couple of seasons time,in my view he is a very similar player to Santa cruz in how he plays.

The coaches at Chelsea rate this guy very highly and given Chelseas resources and ability to attract any young player in the world,that is high praise indeed.

Pity we can`t have a poll to see how many people rate him and how many don`t...

Glad to see Di Santo's loan deal extended. Some people on here seem to have some serious delusions of grandeur, from slagging off Di Santo to suggesting we can just nip in and grab Luca Toni :rolleyes:

We don't need to sign Luca Toni, we can just play 10 players and still end up with more goals scored than Di Santo has mustered.

Jason Roberts MBE is constantly hounded by Rovers fans for not scoring enough goals, yet Franco makes him look like bloody Pele in front of goal :blink:

I think we need to look at things in perspective imo, the lad is 20 years old in a struggling team with no creativity and next to no width. Over the past five years we have been spoilt in having wide players and again we have been spoilt in terms of talent upfront...Bellamy, Santa Cruz, (a fit and hungry Benni) and to an extent even Nonda. We no longer have that sort of talent or pace that we had in Bellamy and as such we are suffering for it. I believe that Di Santo would be a quality player if he had the service, how can anybody new to the league be expected to turn constant long balls over head height into goals with his back to goal. An amazing and experienced target man would struggle to do much with the crap we hurl towards our centre forwards.

I'm at the point now where I accept that we are a team in transition and I'd much rather see Di Santo trying his hardest upfront than seeing Jason Roberts back his fat ass into the crotch of the visiting centre half for 90mins and then whinge when he cannot control a ball coming his way.

We've been spoilt of late with signing and strikers that were pretty much too good for us, now we seem to be back at a level nearer where we really deserve to be at the moment. We are not going to get Champions League winners wanting to play for us (without offering them good money in case of Salgado...yes i know he.is career is at the back end) at the peak of their careers so taking gambles on young but talented players is most likely going to be our future for many years to come.

This is his first proper season in the toughest league in the world,just what are you expecting from a 20 year old in a struggling team? Everybody can see this guy is going to be the bees knees in a couple of seasons time,in my view he is a very similar player to Santa cruz in how he plays.

The coaches at Chelsea rate this guy very highly and given Chelseas resources and ability to attract any young player in the world,that is high praise indeed.

A 20 year old supposed future star who is playing most weeks, one would hope he'd bagged four or five in the league by now. That's not so unreasonable.

And if it takes him as long in his career to start finding the net as it took Santa Cruz, then I sure as hell hope we dont take him in summer.

Not averse to giving him another look over the next 6 months but so far he's been a disappointment.

• Backroom

I wonder if Keith Andrews had a fancy foreign name he would be given so much praise?

Your right I mean just look at Aaron Mokoena, no wait thats not right he was treat with the same disdain (although unfarily at times imo)

Like, for example, Steven N'Zonzi?

Sadly, I am of the same opinion on both counts.

A 20 year old supposed future star who is playing most weeks, one would hope he'd bagged four or five in the league by now. That's not so unreasonable.

And if it takes him as long in his career to start finding the net as it took Santa Cruz, then I sure as hell hope we dont take him in summer.

Not averse to giving him another look over the next 6 months but so far he's been a disappointment.

Ask any striker, or most anyway, they dont want the ball delivered with their backs to goal, Di Santo has a great technique, holds the ball up well and his link up play is good, if we get the ball in the right areas, the lad will score!!

This is his first proper season in the toughest league in the world,just what are you expecting from a 20 year old in a struggling team?

To score more than one goal and show some slight composure infront of goal?

Everybody can see this guy is going to be the bees knees in a couple of seasons time,in my view he is a very similar player to Santa cruz in how he plays.

Everyone with rose tinted specs can see he is going to be the bee's knee's. He is a half decent target man at the moment, but he is no wonderkid like some are making out.

That highly regarded half of their strikeforce is off to africa for a months and they don't want Di Santo back? And if Mr Nixon is to believed could be let go? Very high praise yeh... :blink:

I rate him, he has some decent qualities but he doesn't score and never looks like he is a threat.

Archived