BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brett Emerton

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct. Problem is that Bert doesn't really know what he's supposed to do when he gets in the opposition box. :rolleyes:

Your right, he's a bit clueless when it comes to the final ball. But if you want a player who'll run all day and get from box to box he's your man. He's decent at full back, certainly a good stand in, but he's not crafty enough for the wing. Centre midfield is his best position for me, I remember him playing there for Australia against England a few years back and he gave us a chasing.

Your right, he's a bit clueless when it comes to the final ball. But if you want a player who'll run all day and get from box to box he's your man. He's decent at full back, certainly a good stand in, but he's not crafty enough for the wing. Centre midfield is his best position for me, I remember him playing there for Australia against England a few years back and he gave us a chasing.

I think we are both being a bit harsh on Bert when one considers his main rival for a place in the team. In that comparison he's like Zidane. :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but I believe this is the most recent thread for Brett...

I just wanted to gauge peoples current opinion on him - does he still have a future here?

Doesn't seem like he has recovered from his awful injury for me - I'm not sure he will either, I don't think BFS seems convinced?

He's been a good servant, but time to get rid?

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but I believe this is the most recent thread for Brett...

I just wanted to gauge peoples current opinion on him - does he still have a future here?

Doesn't seem like he has recovered from his awful injury for me - I'm not sure he will either, I don't think BFS seems convinced?

He's been a good servant, but time to get rid?

He's never got over not playing right back where he was superb.

Berts had a few poor spells over the years, but always comes back into the team. He's a seasoned professional and does a very good job for the team wherever he plays. Never moans and whinges, just gets on with the job.

Hands off Gillian.

Regarding Brett, he's been pretty woeful from what I've seen and heard this season but he's a good squaddie for us to have - for now.

How much did we pay for him? £2.5m? It almost makes up for Kevin Davies.

I think Bert is great. You never know when he is going to explode in a rage.

Useful and doesn't winge.

A bit like K*ith Andr*ws.

I spelt Bert's name wrong in my previous post. Sorry for any confusion, readers!

Harsh, he's not long back from a terrible injury and hasn't got a run in the team. Whereas Andrews is just crap. If you're not going to play N'Zonzi then Bert can do a decent job in the middle of the field and he's always got endless energy.

Can't help but feel that Emerton has really suffered from the numerous changes of managers over recent years. Obviously his last injury has played a major part in him suffering for form. However, the guy was really excelling when playing right back under hughes.

I would like to see him given another chance at right-back to see a bit of a resurgence. Maybe next season, when (hopefully) Salgado will be deemed too old for a contract renewal Brett will get a chance there.

If not, I fear it may be time for the glue factory.

Brett Emerton is a model professional and a few of our more 'high profile' staff could take a few lessons from him in professionalism and humility ... hope he gets 10 years in and a testimonial, not for the money but because the guy seems a grounded individual who gets on with his job, doesn't court the media and keeps out of trouble.

When Jimmy Armfield was talking recently about different reaction of players to serious injury, Emerton came to mind. JA said players who play with intelligence get back to their level more quickly and surely then the athlete-type footballer. As Emerton is very much an athlete and almost brain-dead as a passer it's easy to see why he's struggled in his comeback

Diouf-Emerton-N'Zonzi-Ollsen

Roberts(when fit)or M.Diouf

Niko

would be my midfield and attack until jan comes around. He seems quite composed as a player on the ball and i thought he looked good as a center mid in the past, still got a pivotal role at the club for me.

Hell how pedersen gets picked week in week out ahead of him is staggering, i would pick Dunn ahead of him possibly but he seems to be made of glass on not too reliable. Everything just looks better without pedersen and grella, not sure if there is a direct correlation between grella getting more games and our results dipping but it feels that way. Grella and jones is way too negative Emerton could be our poor mans lampard.

Diouf-Emerton-N'Zonzi-Ollsen

Roberts(when fit)or M.Diouf

Niko

would be my midfield and attack until jan comes around. He seems quite composed as a player on the ball and i thought he looked good as a center mid in the past, still got a pivotal role at the club for me.

Hell how pedersen gets picked week in week out ahead of him is staggering, i would pick Dunn ahead of him possibly but he seems to be made of glass on not too reliable. Everything just looks better without pedersen and grella, not sure if there is a direct correlation between grella getting more games and our results dipping but it feels that way. Grella and jones is way too negative Emerton could be our poor mans lampard.

Who's gonna play the creative passes in that midfield? Not that we have a lot of those players anyways, but none of those are known for their ability to pick out the killer pass. N'Zonzi is good at holding and playing the easy pass while Emerton is a decent box-to-box player with a good engine, but he doesn't really look up too often to see if there's a run into an open space. If he did see the run I wouldn't put money on him making the pass either.

By the way, if you have given up on us doing anything other than playing it long from the defence, that midfield isn't so bad. At least they have good engines and a chance to pick up the second ball.

Pedersen gets picked because he CAN make some good passes. Not saying he does all the time, but at least he's got the ability to do so..

Superb athlete but just comes up short when it comes to having an instinctive footballer's brain.

Brett Emerton summed up in one sentence. Which shows just how one dimensional he is.

It's quite depressing that someone so average has spent so long at our football club.

Brett Emerton summed up in one sentence. Which shows just how one dimensional he is.

It's quite depressing that someone so average has spent so long at our football club.

Brett is a true pro, and his versatility makes him a handy player to have around the squad.

Archived