SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2010

Iceman

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing advert

And I should apologise to Super Arran ... I've just seen he posted it 6 hours earlier ... although quite why it went in the "Other PL Happenings" thread I've no idea - I checked all the threads it might have been logically posted in!!

I have a feeling that this World Cup will be a disaster, the terrorist groups could ensure that this will be the last one for quite some time, the deranged followers of Dustbin Laden etc are set to do real damage and supporters will be sitting ducks!!

However, it could, if the terrorists get it wrong, be the end for the lot of them as all the World will be against them!!

I have a feeling that this World Cup will be a disaster, the terrorist groups could ensure that this will be the last one for quite some time, the deranged followers of Dustbin Laden etc are set to do real damage and supporters will be sitting ducks!!

However, it could, if the terrorists get it wrong, be the end for the lot of them as all the World will be against them!!

I have my fears too...wouldn't trust the South African police to organise a pish up in a brewery!

:unsure:

Here we go again, with the negative comments re South Africa.

I think that it will be a good WC once I get there, just it has been such an arse to try and organise everything, and with 3 weeks to go I still don't have everything sorted. All I want to know is that I can definitely get to the games that I have got tickets yet, but as yet I am still unsure of this.

Its crazy, world cup cricket, world cup rugby, t20 cricket, ipl cricket, 2 oceans marathon, comrades marathon, iaaf athletics, super 14 rugby, sun city golf challenge etc etc. understandably, those events are not as big as the world cup football, but hosted without any problems. Its just the English media, that are constantly writing negative views about our country.

Its crazy, world cup cricket, world cup rugby, t20 cricket, ipl cricket, 2 oceans marathon, comrades marathon, iaaf athletics, super 14 rugby, sun city golf challenge etc etc. understandably, those events are not as big as the world cup football, but hosted without any problems. Its just the English media, that are constantly writing negative views about our country.

Actually Iceman your own citizens are doing that too...Plenty of reports especially from white South Africans telling fans not to go. There may be some political undertones but there also must be some truth in what they say. I would be going but I'm just getting another mortgage and can't afford to go..

I think that it will be a good WC once I get there, just it has been such an arse to try and organise everything, and with 3 weeks to go I still don't have everything sorted. All I want to know is that I can definitely get to the games that I have got tickets yet, but as yet I am still unsure of this.

Claire - just a question - how much is everything costing you? We ruled it out as being too expensive orginally, so just want to see if the prices have dropped alot!?

One of the lads I know sets off tomorrow until the end of the Finals. Lucky git!!

Claire - just a question - how much is everything costing you? We ruled it out as being too expensive orginally, so just want to see if the prices have dropped alot!?

One of the lads I know sets off tomorrow until the end of the Finals. Lucky git!!

A lot!! Last time around we were in Germany for 28 days, and I've already spent over double I did then for my 2 weeks in SA not including transport/spending money.

The accomodation has been the biggest expense. We are paying £130/night to stop in the uni halls of residence, which is by far the cheapest thing I could find in Johannesburg. If you look on the fifa website, you'll see hotel rooms going for $4-500/night.

The flights have come down a little, but not considerably. I just checked and it is probably about £50-100 cheaper to book them now, than when I did last year.

Actually Iceman your own citizens are doing that too...Plenty of reports especially from white South Africans telling fans not to go. There may be some political undertones but there also must be some truth in what they say. I would be going but I'm just getting another mortgage and can't afford to go..

:rover: everything on the news has been negative about sud africa,i'm there 4 six weeks and plan to do wheat i do every world cup,mixing with the locals is part of the deal.i'm looking forward to it,meeting mates from round the world,and hoping to make a few new one's :wacko::brfc:

Thanks for the info Claire - Yeah knew it was expensive....we had accomodation set up for part of our stay through family but due to the flight costs etc we decided against it - instead save for the 2012 which should be miles cheaper and should have MANY more England fans thier!

Waggy - Spot on, enjoy it - get merry, meet new friends and enjoy the party atmosphere which im sure will be there!

I couldn't give a monkey's about England at the WC, but here's what I think is the strongest line-up:

HART

JOHNSON — TERRY — FERDINAND — COLE

LENNON — LAMPARD — CARRICK — MILNER

ROONEY — CROUCH

* Hart is the sturdiest keeper we have. James has the experience but can lose his head, and Green has had a struggling season.

* Gerrard has been out of sorts all season. Never clicks with Lampard when it matters most.

* Lennon would give us invaluable pace and could alternate flanks with Milner to shake things up.

* Crouch is the perfect target man for Rooney, and unlike Heskey he can score.

I couldn't give a monkey's about England at the WC, but here's what I think is the strongest line-up:

HART

LENNON — LAMPARD — CARRICK — MILNER

ROONEY — CROUCH

* Hart is the sturdiest keeper we have. James has the experience but can lose his head, and Green has had a struggling season.

* Gerrard has been out of sorts all season. Never clicks with Lampard when it matters most.

* Lennon would give us invaluable pace and could alternate flanks with Milner to shake things up.

* Crouch is the perfect target man for Rooney, and unlike Heskey he can score.

I'd go with exactly the same, but change the shape and have Gerrard instead of Crouch. Gerrard has played in Alonso's old role for Liverpool recently and looked great, just what we need in Barry's absence too. Also, Lampard is world class for Chelsea when playing an advanced midfield role rather than a flat 4-4-2.

Primarily though, it puts Rooney in the formation that he has been outstanding in this year. You've mentioned Crouch being a perfect target man for him, but he's shown beyond doubt that he doesn't need one (like Owen did). In fact, more than not needing one, he's better without one.

To borrow your formatting, that would mean:

HART

GERRARD - CARRICK

LENNON ----— LAMPARD ------ MILNER

ROONEY

Kiwi's one up at H/T.

Grella with a horrendous challenge that should have been a red.

Admiral is having a steady game.

This text from Rovers official pages tells all about Grella..

Ryan Nelsen's All Whites side were much the better side in the first half, taking a deserved lead on 16 minutes through Middlesbrough's Chris Killen.

Vince Grella played the first half for the Socceroos

Here's mine today. It will change 15 times before the first game. When do the aqwuad numbers come out? June 1st? That ususlly tells us what the starting 11 will be.

HART

G JOHNSON KING FERDINAND COLE

GERRARD - MILNER

LENNON ---- LAMPARD ------ A JOHNSON

ROONEY

This text from Rovers official pages tells all about Grella..

Ryan Nelsen's All Whites side were much the better side in the first half, taking a deserved lead on 16 minutes through Middlesbrough's Chris Killen.

Vince Grella played the first half for the Socceroos

Grella off, they win 2-1. ;)

Archived