BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2010

Iceman

Which 7 would you trim from the england squad?

To start with I'd have Robbo in place of David James.

My staring eleven would be:

Hart

Johnson Rio Terry Cole

Milner Gerrard

Lennon Johnson

Lampard

Rooney

Impact subs (Plan B) - Crouch, Defoe, Walcott.. etc

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may sound odd, but I dont like watching England, I used to do if Rovers players were involved but I would much sooner watch Rovers, cant get motivated and too many of the present England squad I simply dont like as people, I cant get motivated about the World Cup at all, would rather watch Rovers v Burnley :D

This may sound odd, but I dont like watching England, I used to do if Rovers players were involved but I would much sooner watch Rovers, cant get motivated and too many of the present England squad I simply dont like as people, I cant get motivated about the World Cup at all, would rather watch Rovers v Burnley :D

I'm with you Kelbo. I've been like that since the late 90's. I enjoyed following England during Euro '96 as I was only 22 but since then I have left international football well alone.

I can't stand on the BBE during the domestic season abusing Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Green, Gerrard & Defoe then spend the summer supporting them. I just could never see myself celebrating a Defoe goal, I can't stand the fella.

Well I'll be watching every game, its that or no football at all.

Still haven't decided which team to support though as yet, but may follow Spain since I love their style. Can't say I fancy Englands chances again this summer although the training camp in Austria should allow the players to acclimatize to playing in SA, which will be important.

Argies have a good shout if Maradonna lets Messi lose and lets him play as at Barca, but he's picked one or two dud's for me. Brazil don't seem to play with the same flair anymore and perhaps are a bit negative at times. France could well be dark horses, but I guess it will all come down to Mars location in the stars or some such ######. I would also not be shocked to see Italy progress well.

I think its a difficult one to call this time round and I don't really see a clear favourite, but believe that managers will play a big role this year. Capello is as good as they come and has a pretty good cup record, so you never know. Anyway I've hedged my bets and pumped for England to win with Crouch being top scorer, Spain with Villa, Argies with Messi, hopefully one of them comes in.

I'm the opposite. I get more excited by England than I ever will for Rovers. Maybe it's living abroad? Maybe it's the familiarity with Rovers lower expectations? I really enjoy the World Cup. The USA game is going to be a good one as the Yanks are actually paying attention.

I'm the opposite. I get more excited by England than I ever will for Rovers. Maybe it's living abroad? Maybe it's the familiarity with Rovers lower expectations? I really enjoy the World Cup. The USA game is going to be a good one as the Yanks are actually paying attention.

I've a few friends stateside and they're fired up for the England v USA game. None of them are really into 'football' but it seems the world cup is being marketed well this time round.

Well I'll be watching every game, its that or no football at all.

Still haven't decided which team to support though as yet, but may follow Spain since I love their style. Can't say I fancy Englands chances again this summer although the training camp in Austria should allow the players to acclimatize to playing in SA, which will be important.

Argies have a good shout if Maradonna lets Messi lose and lets him play as at Barca, but he's picked one or two dud's for me. Brazil don't seem to play with the same flair anymore and perhaps are a bit negative at times. France could well be dark horses, but I guess it will all come down to Mars location in the stars or some such ######. I would also not be shocked to see Italy progress well.

I think its a difficult one to call this time round and I don't really see a clear favourite, but believe that managers will play a big role this year. Capello is as good as they come and has a pretty good cup record, so you never know. Anyway I've hedged my bets and pumped for England to win with Crouch being top scorer, Spain with Villa, Argies with Messi, hopefully one of them comes in.

A scotsman backing England with his own cash. Good god!

I will be amazed if Spain don't win it. If it is not them then Brazil and Argentina are in the next bracket. After that it gets pretty muddled, but I would still put Italy, Portugal and Germany slightly ahead of England in terms of the quality available to them.

We have two world class players for england at the moment - Rooney (best player by a margin), and Ashley Cole. Ferdiand and Terry have worryingly suffered lapses in form this season, Gerrard is increasingly incosistent for Liverpool let alone England (who he has rarely turned in on for), Joe Cole is coming back from a massive injury. Arguably our most reliable if unspectacular player - Barry - is on the edge of being ruled out. This side is much weaker, I feel, that the 2004 iteration.

We are relying on Rooney having an exceptional world cup and some of the fringe names - Crouch, Adam Johnson, Milner, Defoe - stepping up in a pretty extrardinary way.

Not going to happen sadly. Quarter finals again I think at best.

ESPN and ABC are hyping up the WC like nothing I've ever seen before. Forcing Premier League and La Liga highlights int their Top 10 segments and including the three big leagues on the bottom line. I'm sure we'll see more USA v England hype directly as the game approaches.

A mate of mine who interned there in Bristol earlier on this past fall said their number one goal that spring was to market and sell the world cup and they're doing a great (though borderline overbearing) job of it.

I'm not English so perhaps that impacts my view, but the English squad is a collection of self-absorbed, spoiled brats. One of the many reasons I decided to support the Rovers is that the Rovers' players seem, in general, to be better human beings than those coming out of your typical top 6 team.

It's just a perception, so I could well be wrong, but I have a hard time getting behind any collection of "superstars" for the same reason.

Yes, we are. :)

I think the USA could actually upset England this year.

I've a few friends stateside and they're fired up for the England v USA game. None of them are really into 'football' but it seems the world cup is being marketed well this time round.

Ditto. We're having a BBQ. Been saving a bottle of 18+ year old Glen Morangie for the match, which I liberated from Scotland.

I'd be SHOCKED if England don't muller USA. Absolutely shocked.

A Claude Rains (Casablanca) shocked or truly shocked?

I personally think the USA provsional squad is very strong. It is squad that's more than capable of upsetting England.

http://theglobalherald.com/fifa-world-cup-2010-usa-provisional-squad-announced/3561/

And unlike some of the players tying their laces for England, I think Team USA will have a more down to earth, nose to the grind stone, can do team attitude.

I'm also glad to see Stuart Holden (to whom we were briefly linked to before he was collected by Coyle for Bolton) make the squad. He only played a couple of games for Bolton before breaking a bone, but he did well by all accounts and he's since recovered.

And though he's American now, he was born Scots, so you Scotland types will have at least one player to root for. :)

Truly shocked. The England team is much stronger than the USA team, and with Capello in charge there's really not going to be any issue about the work rate or the tactics.

Oh and the Scots don't need any additional reason to root against England. Bitter, bitter people.

Oh and the Scots don't need any additional reason to root against England. Bitter, bitter people.

I was in Scotland in March. At a very nice whiskey bar (Abernachs?- there was a lot of whiskey involved so memory is dim) a Scotsman (who made some very good recommendatation was to what to try) told me that they didn't hate the English anymore. It's apparently against the rules. So they just charge you more.

• Backroom

I'm similar, I love the World Cup and hope we win but wont shed a tear if we get knocked out, I'll always be club before country and when friendlies come around I always care more about the games in which Rovers players are involved. In fact I have often enjoyed tournaments more as a spectavle when England aren't involved.

I remember France 98 paying Scotland attention due to Hendry and Gallacher playing.

One thing I hate is the hysteria that comes when England are in a big tournament, you can guarantee now if Terry bags an important goal all the stuff the press lambasted him for will be forgotten.

I'd be SHOCKED if England don't muller USA. Absolutely shocked.

Think you've got an extremely overvalued opinion on England and its players, a close hard fought win maybe, but to win emphatically, definitely not.

A scotsman backing England with his own cash. Good god!

Its not about supporting England.

Its about "

"

And though he's American now, he was born Scots, so you Scotland types will have at least one player to root for. :)

Scotland types???? :blink:

No offence meant smoss, but I'll support the England types, before I support the American types.

Said before, it's all one way. The majority of English people couldn't give a toss.

Neither could we anymore, Brown has exacted our planned revenge!!! :lol:

Truly shocked. The England team is much stronger than the USA team, and with Capello in charge there's really not going to be any issue about the work rate or the tactics.

you mean the guy that continuously ignores England' best goalkeeper and starts with Emile Heskey in attack?

Ill be at match 56 at the Cape Town Stadium, will anybody be at that game? I think its the winner of group H against the Runner up in Group G... That could potentialy be Spain against Portugal, if ive worked that out correctly. Or could be Brazil against Spain, if Portugal somehow overcome Brazil. :tu:

As well you should. But I'll still try to drum about support for Team USA, if I can. :tu:

At least your teams there chap.

I won't follow any team in particular since Scotland aren't there, I'm a big enough fan of football just to be happy with having a whole month of extra football this summer.

The USA will get out of the group and the England match will set the tone a win against them and you'll be flying high (on confidence). I've always been very skeptical about football and America, especially if eventually it does take off. You do well at sports and pump serious money into the bigger ones, so the potential to become a top world team is there, it just needs to take off a bit more. And if I'm being honest should that happen, well it gives me the willies.

you mean the guy that continuously ignores England' best goalkeeper and starts with Emile Heskey in attack?

I do hope you're not talking about Robinson. He's shocking at coming for crosses. Capello has him spot on, he's too much of a liability to be taken to the World Cup.

I do hope you're not talking about Robinson. He's shocking at coming for crosses. Capello has him spot on, he's too much of a liability to be taken to the World Cup.

So whats the excuse for taking 'Calamlity' James??

Why didnt he take Kirkland instead?!

Archived