BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2010

Iceman

He's decent....but I think his lack of pace will get sorely exposed if he faces a quick team in the world cup.

Think we can safely say the same about Terry, Ferdinand and Carragher-if he goes.

England reaching the semi-fnal stages will be a major, major, achievement, probably the best we could possibly hope for.

I'll be watching out for that Milito fellow from Inter, still drooling over that first goal he created and finished in the champions league final, he looks absolutely top class.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few people in the squad that I'd have had instead of certain others but based on the squad that was picked, here is how I would lineup for the majority of games.

GK - James?? (Why Hart wasn't given 90 minutes last night I have no idea)

DR - Johnson

DC - Ferdinand

DC - Terry

DC - A. Cole

RM - Lennon

LM - Gerrard

DM - Barry

CM - Lampard

AM - J.Cole

ST - Rooney

Haven't a clue who to stick in goal, opted for James experience in the end over the inexperienced Hart and the over rated Green.

I really struggled to pick that midfield to be honest, I don't really know who to play where. We'll miss Hargreaves a huge amount playing the defensive midfield role, Carrick isn't good enough, only really leaves Barry so I hope he's fit, otherwise I haven't a clue.

No idea who to really put on either flank, Lennon and Walcott can change games at times but they often drift out of games for long periods, Wright Phillips just doesn't seem to quite be good enough for my liking at the highest level and Milner may be a bit out of his depth, I was hoping he'd make the step up but I have my doubts about him now from the start.

Joe Cole is wasted anywhere else than playing off the striker so I've stuck him there, Gerrard has been useless lately but there's no one else so I've plonked him out on the left.

Against the weaker teams I'd be happy to see Crouch play up top with one of the midfielders rested.

I'm usually one of those hopeless optomists when it comes to England but this year I just see too many weaknesses in our team to have a chance of going all the way. We lack a great goalkeeper and as mentioned Hargreaves is a huge huge loss, no idea who to stick on the flanks as nobody seems to have made the spot their own, who knows what might happen. I don't think I'm the only one who isn't as positive as usual when it comes to England's chances in a tournament, perhaps the pressure is off a little this year with the likes of Spain and Brazil as clear favourites, maybe it'll end up being our year. :rock:

Joe Cole is wasted anywhere else than playing off the striker

Not sure about that. By far his best form so far in his career came as a left winger under Jose Mourinho - in fact his career was going nowhere until Mourinho converted him into a wide player.

I'd rather have Lampard or Gerrard there, they both have far better scoring records than Cole.

Going to revise that based on tonight.

HART

JOHNSON TERRY FERDINAND COLE

GERRARD - PARKER

LENNON ---- LAMPARD ------ J. COLE

ROONEY

I definitely agree with that formation against the big boys. However, I would replace Hart with Green and Parker with Barry, if fit, or otherwise Carrick.

But, against the lesser teams, I'd play a 4-4-2 with Crouch alongside Rooney. The midfield four would be:

Lennon / Lampard / Barry or Carrick / J. Cole.

Lampard and Gerrard don't work together in the middle and I think Gerrard isn't at all suited to the left midfield position. Lampard has been considerably better than Gerrard this season, so he'd get the nod.

You should not at all be upset about the way england played so far back yesterday, It actually proves FC did his homework. Mexico cannot handle a team that plays a defensive game like that. They are an excellent side against the south american teams that like to dance around, but they cannot figure out how to beat a counter attacking team. further more they make excuses every time they lose and claim they deserved to win... well if you deserved to win most of these games you should have won one or two of them right?

As for my Yanks against your Lions, The biggest reason you need to worry about the US is that every player on this team will be playing like its the last game of their careers. That said you guys match up with us a bit better than Spain did as the gap in athleticism wont be as vast. The game has a bit of the 1980 ice hockey feel to it, For England's players its just another match... its a wc match but still just another match... but for each and every one of our players its the most important game of their lives.

You should not at all be upset about the way england played so far back yesterday, It actually proves FC did his homework. Mexico cannot handle a team that plays a defensive game like that. They are an excellent side against the south american teams that like to dance around, but they cannot figure out how to beat a counter attacking team. further more they make excuses every time they lose and claim they deserved to win... well if you deserved to win most of these games you should have won one or two of them right?

I think you're being kind in making out it was a Fabio masterplan to sit back. It was just how the game turned out - we couldn't get a kick and had Mexico not squandered their chances they could have had 4 or 5 goals in the first half.

I think you're being kind in making out it was a Fabio masterplan to sit back. It was just how the game turned out - we couldn't get a kick and had Mexico not squandered their chances they could have had 4 or 5 goals in the first half.

True, true. If Mexico pinged it front of England without any breakthroughs, I'd accept that point. But they clearly had enough chances to win the game.

Not sure about that. By far his best form so far in his career came as a left winger under Jose Mourinho - in fact his career was going nowhere until Mourinho converted him into a wide player.

I'd rather have Lampard or Gerrard there, they both have far better scoring records than Cole.

Perhaps wasted wasn't the right phrase, he can certainly do a job on the left for us, I just think it's not his best position and against top defences he can be predictable out there as he always cuts inside.

Technically he's probably our best player and in my opinion the best at linking the midfield and attack which Gerrard and Lampard seem unable to do for England.

His best form undoubtedly was for Chelsea under Mourinho but to be honest although I think it's his best position he's barely played off the striker, probably since his early West Ham days. I want to see him in an advanced role, like the old 'Italian Number 10' position.

It's a tricky one, I'm a bit lost on who to put where in midfield as I mentioned above. Gerrard has been poor this year but surely has to play somewhere, Cole himself has been injured for large parts and inconsistent at best while the likes of Lennon have also been injured long term and is very inconsistent for England. Add in Carrick being woeful at international level, Barry doubtful and Milner untested I'm beginning to think our hopes almost lie solely on the Defence, Lampard and Rooney.

Good point, mexico did have alot of chances, while normally they have plenty of possession but few chances, however I still think it's the right way to play against Mexico.

Remember Greece winning the Euro's with a team that wasn't the best going into the Championship, you do need some luck and decisions to go your way, I'm more confident this time around because I think we have a better coach who is more tactically aware.

Very disappointing to hear that England are hanging on in the hope that Gareth Barry will be fit to go to South Africa.

England should be a big enough footballing country to have the younger fitter replacement already there rather than waiting on a handicapped player in Barry. How is he going to be mobile enough to give England any kind of chance in the coming games, he just aint, is he, if your honest enough.

Im worried about Mexico, because SA is not a great defensive team. Going forward, we have lots of potential and this is where Mexico might take advantage. Il be happy with a draw in the 1st game, delighted if we win. A few players to watch, Katlego Mphela(striker), Morgan Gould(defender), Tsepo Masilela(left back) and Simpiwe Tshabalala(left wing). In fact Tshabalala would easily replace MGP in the Rovers team. He has a very good delivery at free kicks and corners, and loves running at the opposition.

Im worried about Mexico, because SA is not a great defensive team. Going forward, we have lots of potential and this is where Mexico might take advantage. Il be happy with a draw in the 1st game, delighted if we win. A few players to watch, Katlego Mphela(striker), Morgan Gould(defender), Tsepo Masilela(left back) and Simpiwe Tshabalala(left wing). In fact Tshabalala would easily replace MGP in the Rovers team. He has a very good delivery at free kicks and corners, and loves running at the opposition.

USA 23.

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolves), Tim Howard (Everton), Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Oguchi Onyewu, Jonathan Spector (West Ham), DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Michael Bradley (Borussia Monchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Edson Buddle, Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Pachuca).

There are a few people in the squad that I'd have had instead of certain others but based on the squad that was picked, here is how I would lineup for the majority of games.

GK - James?? (Why Hart wasn't given 90 minutes last night I have no idea)

DR - Johnson

DC - Ferdinand

DC - Terry

DC - A. Cole

RM - Lennon

LM - Gerrard

DM - Barry

CM - Lampard

AM - J.Cole

ST - Rooney

Haven't a clue who to stick in goal, opted for James experience in the end over the inexperienced Hart and the over rated Green.

I really struggled to pick that midfield to be honest, I don't really know who to play where. We'll miss Hargreaves a huge amount playing the defensive midfield role, Carrick isn't good enough, only really leaves Barry so I hope he's fit, otherwise I haven't a clue.

No idea who to really put on either flank, Lennon and Walcott can change games at times but they often drift out of games for long periods, Wright Phillips just doesn't seem to quite be good enough for my liking at the highest level and Milner may be a bit out of his depth, I was hoping he'd make the step up but I have my doubts about him now from the start.

Joe Cole is wasted anywhere else than playing off the striker so I've stuck him there, Gerrard has been useless lately but there's no one else so I've plonked him out on the left.

Against the weaker teams I'd be happy to see Crouch play up top with one of the midfielders rested.

Similar to what I'd select:

---------------------Green/Hart----------------------

Johnson-----------Terry--Ferdinand-----------------A.Cole

Lennon-----------Lampard------Barry------------Gerrard---

-----------------Crouch-------Rooney---------------------

Depending on the situation and the need for width I'd be tempted to take either Barry off and throw on Adam Johnson or Walcott. In my book Englands biggest weapon is Walcott...he gets bashed continously for no end product on a consistent basis but in the past for Arsenal (particularly in Europe) he has come on and made a huge impact.He is the type of player you want either playing or on the bench so he would be a definite in the squad.

Gareth Barrys fitness is of major importance to Englands hopes. Primarily he maybe a boring and not particularly mobile player but at the end of the day thats what the midfield requires. There is enough attacking talent surrounding him to create plenty of chances. Secondly his replacement for that position Michael Carrick is well out of form and was very poor against Mexico on Monday.

Players I'd drop from the 30 are:

SWP

Dawson

Baines/Warnock (Depends how Warnock may fare on Saturday)

Parker (I'd select him if Barry wasn't fit)

Huddlestone

Bent

Joe Cole

I'd drop Joe Cole over Adam Johnson because Johnson is on form whereas Joe Cole hasn't been playing regularly.

Squad of:

GK: Hart, Green, James

DF: Carragher, King, Terry, Ferdinand, A Cole, Upson, Warnock, King

MF: Lennon, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Carrick, A Johnson, Walcott, Milner

FWD: Crouch, Heskey, Defoe, Rooney

Best hope England have of winning a World Cup in a long time. Many so called "top" teams there with average quality such as Italy, Brazil and talented teams such as Argentina with an absolute madman in charge. The obvious choice is Spain but can they live up to the hype again? I'm not so sure. As an outsider looking in I fancy England to win it (might even dabble a few pounds on it)

I was quite surprised by the USA v Czech Rep scoreline. I didn't see the game so did the scoreline reflect how USA played or did you play well but were just unlucky? What is the general feeling USA fans have when playing England? Do you expect to get a draw or got a good chance to get the win or do you think you haven't got a chance in getting anything from that game?

Archived