BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2010

Iceman

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the WC kicks off this topic is going to be jumping from one game to another, with comments all hitting the mixing bowl at the same time.

I was thinking it may be a more enjoyable and easier to follow, if it was broken up into Group topics.

As the WC kicks off this topic is going to be jumping from one game to another, with comments all hitting the mixing bowl at the same time.

I was thinking it may be a more enjoyable and easier to follow, if it was broken up into Group topics.

Perhaps a World Cup sub-section, like the ICINF section?

Perhaps a World Cup sub-section, like the ICINF section?

A general WC topic for all none game related posts (like the weather is great on Joburg) and the the groups for matches, bit like a match day topic, could also add polls for MOM, Etc.

No, you're not the only one, SG.

England football team leave me completely cold.

And their football is lousy.

In my opinion, of course.

Still *cheering up* there are plenty of other teams in the World Cup.

• Backroom

To be honest I'm more interested for the tournament as a spectacle and the random games on every night than I am for our involvement.

Someone raised a point earlier in this thread about this group of players becoming national heroes would be very bittersweet and taint a win for me.

I'm getting excited now. I managed to get another set of tickets yesterday, for Spain v Honduras, taking my total back up to 5. I'll get to see Argentina, Germany and Spain now, so quite happy with that :)

No, you're not the only one, SG.

England football team leave me completely cold.

And their football is lousy.

In my opinion, of course.

Still *cheering up* there are plenty of other teams in the World Cup.

I'll be watching the games that look like they could be good games on paper, couldn't give a toss about England to be honest. Haven't really followed an England side since 1996, too many ###### in the current side.

To be honest I'm more interested for the tournament as a spectacle and the random games on every night than I am for our involvement.

Someone raised a point earlier in this thread about this group of players becoming national heroes would be very bittersweet and taint a win for me.

Had a conversation with some friends the other day about who we would see as being an "acceptable" scorer of the winning goal/penalty in the World Cup final and I really can't see a long list of Englishman I'd like to get it.

Rooney certainly.

Beckham would have been fine.

Lampard I'd be ok with.

Gerrard I'd be ok with.

Terry/Ferdinand are probably passable.

Neville.

That's it really for me. I really wouldn't want to live in a world in which Crouch or Lennon had scored England's winning goal.

Honestly I don't think it should be about the individuals. For national teams especially. Yes guys like Ashley Cole aren't exactly shining examples of good morals, but when they're out there with the England shirt, they should be simply one piece that makes up the team. Whatever they do outside the pitch stays behind, all that matters is their full commitment to the team.

Or at least that's how I like/would like to see it.

What about the national feeling guys? As Mr E says its not about the individuals, but more about the country.

I cheer for Norway when it is summer olympics, winter olympics, handball whatever.

Its all about the national feeling!

South Africa squad announced today

FINAL SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs), Moeneeb Josephs (Orlando Pirates), Shuaib Walters (Maritzburg United)

Defenders: Siboniso Gaxa (Sundowns), Anele Ngcongca (KRC Genk, Belgium), Aaron Mokoena (Portsmouth), Matthew Booth (Sundowns), Bongani Khumalo (SuperSport United), Siyabonga Sangweni (Golden Arrows), Tsepo Masilela (Maccabi Haifa, Israel), Lucas Thwala (Orlando Pirates)

Midfielders: Teko Modise (Orlando Pirates), Lance Davids (Ajax Cape Town), Reneilwe Letsholonyane (Kaizer Chiefs), MacBeth Sibaya (Rubin Kazan, Russia), Thanduyise Khuboni (Golden Arrows), Kagiso Dikgacoi (Fulham, England), Steven Pienaar (Everton, England), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs)

Strikers: Surprise Moriri (Sundowns), Bernard Parker (FC Twente, Holland), Katlego Mphela (Sundowns), Siyabonga Nomvethe (Moroka Swallows)

No Benni, and lots of locally based players. Im all for that, as most of the overseas based players are not doing well at the moment

No Walcott in the squad? Very surprised by that, I rate him well above Wright-Phillips.

I'm guessing Gerrard will be playing on the left as Johnson isn't in either.

Edit: Forgot about Joe Cole. A 4-5-1 with those interchanging between centre/left could be successful.

Grella still rattling a few cages. :lol:

6.5: Made a few crunching challenges in midfield and did his best to break up play in central areas, even if he was pulled up for dangerous play on occasion. Slightly sharper than he was against New Zealand.

Had a conversation with some friends the other day about who we would see as being an "acceptable" scorer of the winning goal/penalty in the World Cup final.

That was obviously a hypothetical conversation!

Elsewhere, I see that Miroslav Karhan is out of the World Cup for Slovakia through injury. He's been a loyal and consistent player for them and at 33, this would have been his last chance to play at the World Cup. Why is it that the smallest nations, who don't have the biggest pool of players, always lose their best players before the World Cup? Essien is out for Ghana, Dragutinovic is out for Serbia and Karhan is now out for Slovakia. It doesn't seem fair.

Archived