BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Racist Chanting By "Rovers Supporters"

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just googled it ... it seems likely that EDL = English Defence League, which styles itself as an anti-Muslim militancy organisation. I think it sprung out of Luton - may be wrong tho'.

Cheers Bryan,

That leads to

1) is it a banned organisation?

and 2) are British citizens allowed to be anti Muslim?

To be honest it doesn't bother me. I heard it a little bit at Forest away and Everton but haven't had chance to go to other away games since then.

When I've heard it, it goes in one ear and out the other. It's not right and it shouldn't happen but none of us are going to stop them or ban them from going to Rovers, it's the club. If I had kids with me, I probably would say something and risk a black eye and stop taking my kids.

However I don't and it doesn't bother me. I chant songs, support my team and always will but will never sing about religion, racism etc.

As I stated earlier in this thread at least 2 people complained to the club about the chant at Hull (I was one of them) and I was promised by Tom Finn that the club would take it very seriously. Clearly they have been true to their word. Given that it's illegal it's difficult to see that they would do any different. I'm delighted that the club sent their won stewards to Wigan to identify and take action against fans.

It would take a lot to stop me supporting Rovers and I'm certainly nowhere near stopping on the grounds of a few poor performances like some on here. But if that chant was allowed to continue for any length of time I would be walking away.

As I stated earlier in this thread at least 2 people complained to the club about the chant at Hull (I was one of them) and I was promised by Tom Finn that the club would take it very seriously. Clearly they have been true to their word. Given that it's illegal it's difficult to see that they would do any different. I'm delighted that the club sent their won stewards to Wigan to identify and take action against fans.

It would take a lot to stop me supporting Rovers and I'm certainly nowhere near stopping on the grounds of a few poor performances like some on here. But if that chant was allowed to continue for any length of time I would be walking away.

So you would stop going to Ewood because a few people were making idiots of themselves at away games????

Bizarre.

So you would stop going to Ewood because a few people were making idiots of themselves at away games????

Bizarre.

Making idiots of themselves? No, thats different. People can be idiots without being racist. These people are racists, not just idiots. Big difference. How is this hard to comprehend? You dont have to be asian to be offended by the racist terms that were being used.

If i went to a game and they started to sing abusive songs about my family I wouldnt stand for it and likewise when people use racist terms it shouldnt be tolerated. How anyone can defend these people, or protest about their treatment is beyond me.

Bizarre.

There's a world of difference between making an idiot of yourself and being racist and deeply offensive. The guy in the lime green mankini at Wigan was making an idiot of himself - funny though. The ones singing the Coyle song are racists and I want them no where near my club. If it was to become clear that the singing of songs like that was to be tolerated I couldn't continue to support Rovers. Thankfully the club seem to agree with me. If you think that is bizarre behaviour that's up to you.

I had thought that the chant was less prevalent at Wigan - I heard it a couple of times in the first half but it was a lot less obvious that at Hull. That might be because at Hull there were a group of lads right behind me singing it and at Wigan they were further away. I didn't hear anything at half time but I only went for a wee and spent so much time laughing at the bloke with the lime green mankini on I didn't take much notice of anything else.

The club are aware of the problem - at least two fans reported it after the Hull game - and want to do what they can to deal with it. They recognise that it's difficult at away games, but there may well be some obvious action taken if it comes up at home games.

It was sung at Wigan before the game in the concourse - I was also told in the blues bar on Monday, that some of those who sung were pulled out and arrested. Some of the ewood stewards were at the wigan game for that purpose. As to whether this is true I do not know - because I was also told they appeared in court the day before the Sunderland game - but that was a sunday so!!!! True or not I do not know.

............. I dont attend football matches insulting strangers out loud due to their racial background and I dont think anyone who does should be afforded any sympathy.

'Burnley fans eat bananas with their feet, banana's with their feet.....' :D

btw magicmorton living so far away in Brighton how many matches do you attend?

I take it that you are in favour of the death penalty for them then? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure by arguments such as this whether you're so fixed on sticking up for your racist brethren that you'll stoop to any old argument, or whether you're simply borderline retarded and can't form logical thoughts in your head.

If I was being kind I'd say the second.

I said ban them from football matches. Death penalty? Not quite the same.

Have i ever done anything wrong in my younger life? yes. But no one accidently becomes a racist at a football game. People make mistakes but you cant equate that to people singing racist chants during a match. Thats not a mistake. If you sing a racist chant at a football game then you're a racist. Everyone knows how offensive racism is, and if you dont then you're nearly as bad as they are.

i disagree, people can get caught up in the moment of things and do things they wouldnt normally.

'Burnley fans eat bananas with their feet, banana's with their feet.....' :D

btw magicmorton living so far away in Brighton how many matches do you attend?

I attend as many as i can manage, ie. all london/southern away games and several at ewood over the year. why? does this somehow validate your argument? am i not a proper fan for not living in blackburn?

i disagree, people can get caught up in the moment of things and do things they wouldnt normally.

People can get caught in the moment and accidently do something they'd later regret, i agree. but that doesnt include racism. I dont think anyone accidently sings a racist chant. Those who sing along, with the knowledge of the content of the chant, are an embarrassment to the club and should be banned.

I attend as many as i can manage, ie. all london/southern away games and several at ewood over the year. why? does this somehow validate your argument? am i not a proper fan for not living in blackburn?

People can get caught in the moment and accidently do something they'd later regret, i agree. but that doesnt include racism. I dont think anyone accidently sings a racist chant. Those who sing along, with the knowledge of the content of the chant, are an embarrassment to the club and should be banned.

Maybe these people who sing the offending chant actually want to chant it? Race is a hot topic in Blackburn. There`s a lot of bad feeling between the white & asian communities in the town. It`s been simmering for years.

I`m not condoning the singing (i don`t sing the song myself), but i`m realistic enough to realise there is a problem in most northern mill towns, not just Blackburn. Bumley, Oldham & Bradford etc have all witnessed race riots of the last decade. Blackburn hasn`t.

Blackburn Rovers, the football club are completely right to state a "NOT AT OUR CLUB" policy, but the problems within the town itself are still there.

Maybe these people who sing the offending chant actually want to chant it? Race is a hot topic in Blackburn. There`s a lot of bad feeling between the white & asian communities in the town. It`s been simmering for years.

I`m not condoning the singing (i don`t sing the song myself), but i`m realistic enough to realise there is a problem in most northern mill towns, not just Blackburn. Bumley, Oldham & Bradford etc have all witnessed race riots of the last decade. Blackburn hasn`t.

Blackburn Rovers, the football club are completely right to state a "NOT AT OUR CLUB" policy, but the problems within the town itself are still there.

Bang on cletus, the transformation of Blackburn has created a hell of a lot of resentment, two communities are becoming further polarised, those in the liberal realms of Brighton and towns without a large ethnic population have little idea about what goes on in towns like Blackburn yet feel the need to shout 'ignorant' at any opinion that differs from their own.

Less posting common sense cletus. There are lots on here who simply don't have the intellect to understand the concept. ;)

Bang on cletus, the transformation of Blackburn has created a hell of a lot of resentment, two communities are becoming further polarised, those in the liberal realms of Brighton and towns without a large ethnic population have little idea about what goes on in towns like Blackburn yet feel the need to shout 'ignorant' at any opinion that differs from their own.

Im assuming you refer to me by mentioning Brighton. All my family come from Blackburn/Bolton and Iam well aware of the racial tension which is apparent in the area. Im not calling people ignorant for simply having a different opinion, I just think that anyone who uses racist terminology is a racist and racists are almost by definition, ignorant.

I absolutely concur with the post you cited which said that there are deep racial tensions within Blackburn which are far more underlying then anything that is going on at Ewood park. I understand that there is deep resentment from the white working class areas towards the asian population which has seen the rise in votes for such parties as the BNP. But that doesnt mean that there should be any degree of tolerance to those people who use racist language at a football match.

The chant has arisen because of the obvious racial tension in Blackburn, and the term 'Paki' is used relatively loosely, by both Asians and white people. Racism works both ways... you look around Blackburn town centre and you see why people feel the resentment towards the Asian people - whether that is wrong or right.

I don't have a particular problem with the chant - 'white boy' is used enough by Asians as is 'white trash' etc. It's stupid and I'd never sing it inside the ground, but I am not in the slightest bit offended.

The chant has arisen because of the obvious racial tension in Blackburn, and the term 'Paki' is used relatively loosely, by both Asians and white people. Racism works both ways... you look around Blackburn town centre and you see why people feel the resentment towards the Asian people - whether that is wrong or right.

I don't have a particular problem with the chant - 'white boy' is used enough by Asians as is 'white trash' etc. It's stupid and I'd never sing it inside the ground, but I am not in the slightest bit offended.

A quick question: I've heard a few people in the concourse at Ewood say the word 'Stanleys' in clear reference to asian people.....should this be considered racism and should I report them for it? Although it isn't exactly a racist term, it is used in an aggressive way towards asian due to their skin colour. I have only heard this in the last couple of weeks, so just enquiring.

A quick question: I've heard a few people in the concourse at Ewood say the word 'Stanleys' in clear reference to asian people.....should this be considered racism and should I report them for it? Although it isn't exactly a racist term, it is used in an aggressive way towards asian due to their skin colour. I have only heard this in the last couple of weeks, so just enquiring.

I'm gonna be honest - I have never heard of that term!

A quick and brutal citizen's arrest should do the trick.

I heard a guy say 'c u n t', I reckon a quick arm up the back is in order mellison.

I take it you have never been to London then - or Brighton - or Hastings. London, yes not a small town but a city, has many people of all colours / religions etc and hardly a problem because of race.

Maybe if towns learn to accept that today, like it or not, there are people from all countries living in the uk and learn to just get on with life and each other - no matter the race of another person then there would not be a problem.

People have to accept that immigration has and will continue to happen and the clock will not be turned back. But when people have attitudes such as, we don't want them here etc - there will always be tensions.

If we or a family member was seriously ill and a coloured doctor turned up to give medical treatment, would anybody turn them away?

I'm gonna be honest - I have never heard of that term!

Nor me until the last couple of weeks.

A quick and brutal citizen's arrest should do the trick.

I heard a guy say 'c u n t', I reckon a quick arm up the back is in order mellison.

Christ, I was just asking. No need for mockery.....even if justified :P

Is there a 'reason' for racial tension in Blackburn from either community. If so what is the reason.

Archived