BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Racist Chanting By "Rovers Supporters"

Have a read of this then...

and a little bit of the article...

"To put it politely, anyone who thinks that the word Paki is acceptable is unaware of this sordid history or unable to understand its significance. Put another way, if you think that it's all right to call someone a Paki you're ignorant or stupid. See how using words in a certain way can come across as insulting or cruel? That's the point. Words are powerful, and we should take care how we use them."

Written by someone called Murad Ahmed is unlikely to be even handed is it eddie? :rolleyes:

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Complete rubbish theno. Paki is used indiscriminately to everyone of South Asian descent and has been in this country for at least the last 25-30 years. So yes, it is used towards a race as people from the subcontinent are most definitely a race of their own.

With that in mind, what would be your views if our fans started calling players "niggers"? Surely in your mind it'd be okay? As I referenced in my earlier post, it was originally used a long time ago as a neutral term to simply say "black skinned", so since language seem to evolve and context doesnt appear to change in your book then maybe the next time I get frustrated with Benni Mac I'll use that word to describe him?

That would be OK would it?

Complete rubbish theno. Paki is used indiscriminately to everyone of South Asian descent and has been in this country for at least the last 25-30 years. So yes, it is used towards a race as people from the subcontinent are most definitely a race of their own.

With that in mind, what would be your views if our fans started calling players "niggers"? Surely in your mind it'd be okay? As I referenced in my earlier post, it was originally used a long time ago as a neutral term to simply say "black skinned", so since language seem to evolve and context doesnt appear to change in your book then maybe the next time I get frustrated with Benni Mac I'll use that word to describe him?

That would be OK would it?

Suit yourself but you'd be wrong. Benny Mac is from South Africa not the area surrounding the river Niger in West Africa where the original slaves were taken from.

Suit yourself but you'd be wrong. Benny Mac is from South Africa not the area surrounding the river Niger in West Africa where the original slaves were taken from.

It must be very destressing to find yourself embroiled in a race controversy like this. Why you?

Keep going Theno.

If I call you a ginger minger will you stop your silly assault on the English language?

Stop your semantics. You know, like the rest of us, when a word becomes an insult.

Please stop your silly innocence. You know that "Paki" is an insult.

Please stop your silly innocence. You know that "Paki" is an insult.

Deeming it an insult should itself provide insult to people from that country. How demeaning to have the name of your homeland virtually deleted from the major international language on the planet. Suprised how few can see that.

btw I'm hoping to make that my parting comment on this thread. Some people have too much of an agenda to accept the logic of common sense.

The words have different meanings, it's simple. If you can't understand that then I don't really know how you've managed to switch on your computer and get this far. At the root of things paki isn't offensive, but it's evolved into an offensive word. It somewhat depends on context, but it is rarely used when it isn't intended as a negative or to hurt.

Absolutely bang on, the word paki has become racist as it is used in a context of insulting people, the word is used in the chant to insult so how anyone can say its not racist is beyond me. I am an asian who is not of Pakistani descent but Ive been called paki, in a way to insult me. However I do completely believe that racism in society is overplayed. I think the whole 'poppadom' incident involving Jade Goody wasnt racist, she was just ignorant and naive.

Deeming it an insult should itself provide insult to people from that country. How demeaning to have the name of your homeland virtually deleted from the major international language on the planet. Suprised how few can see that.

btw I'm hoping to make that my parting comment on this thread. Some people have too much of an agenda to accept the logic of common sense.

You Sir, are the most obnoxious, ignorant, condescending turd I have ever come across in my life.

That anyone could be so pig-headed to come up with such an absurd argument is some accomplishment. I doff my cap to you, old boy. :wstu:

thenodrog:

Do I believe in Allah? Yes. Do I believe in Christ, God or the Holy Spirit? Yes. While I'm not especially religious I believe these images, beings, deities or however we describe them exist / existed for millions of people and played an important role in defining how our societies developed and grew to what we have today.

YEAH OK PAUL...... AND DOES THAT EXTEND TO FAIRIES, ELVES AND TROLLS TOO?

So the world's major religions are another of your targets? Is there anything you find acceptable in the modern world?

You say you've stopped posting this thread which is hardly surprising. Your arguements always revert to insults as a last resort when you have finally run out of ways to defend your views.

I had thought that the chant was less prevalent at Wigan - I heard it a couple of times in the first half but it was a lot less obvious that at Hull. That might be because at Hull there were a group of lads right behind me singing it and at Wigan they were further away. I didn't hear anything at half time but I only went for a wee and spent so much time laughing at the bloke with the lime green mankini on I didn't take much notice of anything else.

The club are aware of the problem - at least two fans reported it after the Hull game - and want to do what they can to deal with it. They recognise that it's difficult at away games, but there may well be some obvious action taken if it comes up at home games.

The fact that I'm right as usual but simply can't be bothered with all this anymore has only incensed the chasing pack it seems. There'll be more to come now, all puffed up with Dutch courage now they are safe.

'When the seagulls follow the trawler........' :rolleyes:

btw whose the babyhouse thats clicked every post that has critised me? Could it be you gunner by any chance? :rolleyes:

The fact that I'm right as usual but simply can't be bothered with all this anymore has only incensed the chasing pack it seems. There'll be more to come now, all puffed up with Dutch courage now they are safe.

'When the seagulls follow the trawler........' :rolleyes:

Right as in far right?

I am sure you will be very happy to exclude 20% of Blackburn's population from Ewood.

Football is supposed to be about entertainment and shared experiences, who would blame any right-minded asian lad from saying stuff Rovers if they believed that people like you were the norm amongst the fans. That is not the case in my opinion.

There is one common aspect for people who use racist language, it is directly connected with a torrent of foul-mouthed, moronic abuse. If you choose to claim you are protecting the middle-ground then you are sadly deluded, I need binoculars to see your view of the middle-ground .......

Was planning on taking my girlfriend to her 1st ever game on Saturday against Villa. Is it going to put her off forever. Haven`t seen the Rovers for a couple of years and not liking the sound of all this. Meant to be buying tickets tomorrow morning.??????????????

bloody hell where did i say it was ok? im fed up of people on here twisting my words and your old enough to know better.

but if i saw someone taking my pic in the crowd without my permission(police aside) then i would do something...and im asuming so would the people being photographed....

he's got a good point though!

It's interesting how the term "white trash" is deemed to be acceptable these days in our liberal happy-clappy society.

I don't watch Big Brother, but I gather from reading the reports a couple of years ago that when the late Jade Goody referred to the Asian actress Shilpa Shetty as "Shilpa Poppadom" there was a hysterical outcry in the liberal media and yet on the same programme when Jermaine Jackson referred to certain housemates as "white trash", people barely blinked an eyelid at the terminology used by Jackson.

Please explain how this has anything to do with racist chanting by Rovers fans?

Do you think it's acceptable regardless of what one of the Jackson 5 said? Two wrongs never make a right, AESF. ;)

With regard to the "racist chanting" at recent Rovers games, I suspect that if I were to take my elderly grandfather, now in his late 80s, to football matches, that he'd be more offended by the four-letter 'C' word used in the chant rather than the word 'Paki'. My grandfather's mobility isn't good now after a hip operation and so he doesn't travel to games at the moment. He comes from a previous generation where the four-letter 'C' word is regarded as offensive and it shouldn't be used in public where children and elderly people are present.

Ah, the old "during the war" argument. 'C***' is a rotten word, but it doesn't discriminate against an entire ethnicity of people. When our fans resort to such primitive language, they're setting our club and society back decades. They're not simply making a villain of an opposing player or manager, but they're branding Asian people as a pejorative because it makes the chant more biting.

C**t is a very old word too and has been in good usage for centuries...I'm sorry but are you naive enough to think nobody swore at all before the war?...P**i used as a chant is unaccecptable...C**t used is not blinked at and describes any mananger of Burnley to a tee...Imagine if you were at a match and Asian people called you a white b******* or similar...Mind you it will come a time when we will be offending the Welsh, Scottish, the fat and down right stupid as well...But surely we can be more creative with the chants and use more that are Rovers based rather than just hating Burnley..All my mates go on about all our chants are about hating Burnley...But then again most of them, unlike me, never go to live matches..So I hope those with a more creative side than me can come up with some new chants that are not racist...

Right as in far right?

I am sure you will be very happy to exclude 20% of Blackburn's population from Ewood.

Football is supposed to be about entertainment and shared experiences, who would blame any right-minded asian lad from saying stuff Rovers if they believed that people like you were the norm amongst the fans. That is not the case in my opinion.

There is one common aspect for people who use racist language, it is directly connected with a torrent of foul-mouthed, moronic abuse. If you choose to claim you are protecting the middle-ground then you are sadly deluded, I need binoculars to see your view of the middle-ground .......

20%? Wait for the next census.

The Asian population of Blackburn have been saying 'stuff Rovers' for 40 years, though in my 20 years going down Ewood I have never heard racist chanting. As I have said time and again, the vast majority 'support' Man United/Liverpool. Any Asian Roverite on here would certainly back me up on that point.

And AlanK get a grip!

• Backroom

According to some reports it was quite a common occurence at Wigan and never was sung at home games (and hardly anything at all was sang today), if anything I'd say it was picking up more

Archived