BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Racist Chanting By "Rovers Supporters"

According to some reports it was quite a common occurence at Wigan and never was sung at home games (and hardly anything at all was sang today), if anything I'd say it was picking up more

Well I was sat on Row E at wigan and you could hardly hear our support for most of the game - that 1 chant was never once heard on the terraces as far as the front end of our own stand.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was sat on Row E at wigan and you could hardly hear our support for most of the game - that 1 chant was never once heard on the terraces as far as the front end of our own stand.

You must be deaf, because it was sung at least 5 times in the stand and was the loudest chant sung in the concourse at halftime (it was sung several times there). I was in the upper corner, but you could hear it from multiple areas.

I heard it 3-4 times near me down the bottom left corner (if looking from the pitch) havn't heard it before but it was definately the same song. A copper did come up at half time asking some people questions but I am not sure if its related or not. My cousin heard it on the concourse as well whilst queing up.

I heard it 3-4 times near me down the bottom left corner (if looking from the pitch) havn't heard it before but it was definately the same song. A copper did come up at half time asking some people questions but I am not sure if its related or not. My cousin heard it on the concourse as well whilst queing up.

Yes it was started a couple of times but on the terraces at least did appear to be hushed. One young lad thrown out early in the 2nd half for what I can only assume was chanting said song as I saw him and his mate singing it in the concourse before the game. Hope he wasn't too cold outside the stadium in his shorts and t-shirt! Mind you when you don't have any brain cells I suppose you can't register the cold.

Yes it was started a couple of times but on the terraces at least did appear to be hushed. One young lad thrown out early in the 2nd half for what I can only assume was chanting said song as I saw him and his mate singing it in the concourse before the game. Hope he wasn't too cold outside the stadium in his shorts and t-shirt! Mind you when you don't have any brain cells I suppose you can't register the cold.

actually anyone suspected of singing the song was arrested. a friend of mine was arrested for it mid way through the first half (though i will say he sang the song minus the last line as he is completely anti racist) and said people are facing a lifetime ban from ewood.

actually anyone suspected of singing the song was arrested. a friend of mine was arrested for it mid way through the first half (though i will say he sang the song minus the last line as he is completely anti racist) and said people are facing a lifetime ban from ewood.

If that really is the case, that is harsh, very harsh.

Yes it is not something that should be heard at a football match, but life bans? a lot of these lads are in their teens/early 20s, they just need a fright and they will soon knock the stupidity on the head, 6 month/12 month bans and a severe dressing down I would certainly agree with but life???

Think some persepctive is needed.

Agreed, 6 month bans should suffice. I've always said most people genuinely aren't racist, more ignorant and naive, especially teenagers and young adults. A ban would teach them a lesson no doubt and would serve them better in the future but to ban them for life does seem a tad harsh. This said however, if Rovers are taking a no tolerance policy I'm not going to complain.

Agreed, 6 month bans should suffice. I've always said most people genuinely aren't racist, more ignorant and naive, especially teenagers and young adults. A ban would teach them a lesson no doubt and would serve them better in the future but to ban them for life does seem a tad harsh. This said however, if Rovers are taking a no tolerance policy I'm not going to complain.

from what i am informed, BRFC are taking a zero tolerence on any racist behaviour and all found guilty will be banned for life from ewood park, BUT (and i may be wrong) away games are excuded (unless a actual banning order is put in place) (but i may be wrong with that last but)

it is harsh, seeing as its looking like the club are pointing out certain people without sufficent (sp) evidence. its probs more than likely to make a example of people to prevent others doing it.

reminds me was anyone on here sat near row R seat 9?

At half time a Police Sargeant came to the rows of seats just behind me looking for some kids singing it in the first half (one of whom who had been already thrown out) - he said that some Rovers stewards had travelled and were looking for people singing the song.

It wasn't just kids singing it though.

Having read through some of the pages on here iam honestly digusted with some of the comments. Its truely horrifying to see some of the arguments which are being made to justify the racist language used in these chants.

The argument that clamping down on racist phrases is symbolic of political correctness, or that if they personally dont find the word insulting it is therefore not insulting to anyone else, is painful to read. The sheer level of ignorance displayed by the minority on this thread is shameful.

These people, and the other posters who are arguing on their behalf are an embarrassment to football supporters and an insult to this football club.

from what i am informed, BRFC are taking a zero tolerence on any racist behaviour and all found guilty will be banned for life from ewood park, BUT (and i may be wrong) away games are excuded (unless a actual banning order is put in place) (but i may be wrong with that last but)

Thats too harsh a punishment even for the simpletons. Also is it really enforceable? If not it's pointless and nothing more than a sop for the masses in the press / media / FA etc.

Thats too harsh a punishment even for the simpletons. Also is it really enforceable? If not it's pointless and nothing more than a sop for the masses in the press / media / FA etc.

How can you disagree with it? its blatant racism. Anyone caught should be banned for life, its not something which you accidently get caught up in. Its not a trivial issue. Whether it can be enforced is a different issue which obviously can be debated but it shouldnt detract from the fact that racism is one of the few things which shouldnt be tolerated at all on any level.

If racists are the ones who feel hard done by with this ban then great. I dont quite understand why anyone would sympathise with them.

How can you disagree with it? its blatant racism. Anyone caught should be banned for life, its not something which you accidently get caught up in. Its not a trivial issue. Whether it can be enforced is a different issue which obviously can be debated but it shouldnt detract from the fact that racism is one of the few things which shouldnt be tolerated at all on any level.

If racists are the ones who feel hard done by with this ban then great. I dont quite understand why anyone would sympathise with them.

I take it that you are in favour of the death penalty for them then? :rolleyes:

btw have you never done anything in your adolescemce that you now regret and would not have done it if you could turn the clock back?

I take it that you are in favour of the death penalty for them then? :rolleyes:

btw have you never done anything in your adolescemce that you now regret and would not have done it if you could turn the clock back?

I said ban them from football matches. Death penalty? Not quite the same.

Have i ever done anything wrong in my younger life? yes. But no one accidently becomes a racist at a football game. People make mistakes but you cant equate that to people singing racist chants during a match. Thats not a mistake. If you sing a racist chant at a football game then you're a racist. Everyone knows how offensive racism is, and if you dont then you're nearly as bad as they are.

Just because some people join in with a song at a football match doesn't make them racists, just naive.

Yes but how can you differentiate from those who begin the chant and those who just 'join in'? I dont think you can say that those who sing racist chants or who use racist phrases are simply naive. Its deeper then that. At best its just shockingly ignorant. I understand your point but its difficult to excuse anyone who joins in with these chants. I dont attend football matches insulting strangers out loud due to their racial background and I dont think anyone who does should be afforded any sympathy.

Yes but how can you differentiate from those who begin the chant and those who just 'join in'? I dont think you can say that those who sing racist chants or who use racist phrases are simply naive. Its deeper then that. At best its just shockingly ignorant. I understand your point but its difficult to excuse anyone who joins in with these chants. I dont attend football matches insulting strangers out loud due to their racial background and I dont think anyone who does should be afforded any sympathy.

Ok, lets say they're shockingly ignorant.

I don't think that deserves a lifetime ban, an ejection with a warning of a ban would suffice.

Ok, lets say they're shockingly ignorant.

I don't think that deserves a lifetime ban, an ejection with a warning of a ban would suffice.

I dont think its really possible to distinguish between the people who are ignorant and those who are just racist. There probably are people who wouldnt classify themselves as 'racist' who join in and those people, as you say should probably recieve a lesser banning order. but i dont think itd be possible to identify those people.

Id much rather the club operate an absolute no tolerance policy and wipe racism from football instead of being harsh on some and lenient with others. If someone is ignorant enough to not find those terms offensive then they're as bad as the racists.

Archived