BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull Preview

colin

No you're not. You've made up your mind about Allardyce and attack him at every opportunity.

I don't have the statistics but Rovers must have one of the best home records in the league.

The only ways Allardyce could "do alot better for us" is improve our away form.

If our away form were as good as our home form, we'd be in the top six.

Is that what you're expecting of Allardyce ?

According to the bbc report

It was back to business as usual for Blackburn, who have been woeful away from Ewood Park this season - never more so than in a 3-0 weekend defeat at Stoke - but bettered in their Pennines stronghold only by Manchester City and Tottenham

:)

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot better than 11th and 8 points clear of relegation in mid February despite the lowest budget in the league?

Add to that the simple fact that only 10 teams are better than us in the league and 9 teams are worse. Only one team (Stoke) can go above us with games in hand, and although we have a tough run in the pressure is on other teams to capitalise on where we may lose points.

Big things were expected of Steve Bruce at Sunderland and they are 5 points behind us, admittedly with a game in hand but that is against Bolton so whatever the result it doesn't matter to us! Look at West Ham with Zola at the helm, a big club in big trouble going nowhere at all. At least we are stable with a excellent board and what I think is our ideal management team.

I'd rather be grinding out results than doing a West Brom and playing pretty football every week and going nowhere. Although I disagree with the formations and team selection more now than I ever have done, we are getting results and that's what matters.

Miner, I don't mind that much that Sam the manager pisses me off or some other fans, or even some players. My discomfort increases when I consider that Sam has rightly or wrongly driven three of my favourite players of the past decade out of the club and get seriously narked when I hear that there is serious doubt about Sam being voiced by a majority of the first team squad.

Sam either has to get his act together or go.

Can you back up your're ridiculous comments? Please name the first team members who have voiced their doubt about Sam. Or have you just 'heard' about this in your local?

Also, who are you're favourite three players that Sam has driven out? I don't recall Sam driving any players out, in fact out of all players who have left the club under Sam's reign none of them have expressed their desire to stay.

Second, when we play the cautious 5 in midfield keep-it-tight-and-nick a goal we are slow, predictable and rely on lucky breaks in the box. And we are usually incapable of keeping it tight. The trouble with Allardyce for me is that he won't mix it up. It's rigid, one style, and predictable.

I think this is where our problems stem from away from home. He aims to keep it tight and as soon as we concede (usually within ten minutes) there is no plan B - certainly none with one striker on the pitch.

I am still to be convinced that, even with the difficult financial circumstanced we are in, we can't play some better football.

I'm sure fans will vote with their season tickets this summer.

I think you're right Paul. Allardyce has proved to be excellent at producing consistent and winning home form but surely there is scope to play better football? Some of our goals - and I'm largely thinking of Olsson's two - have been excellent. When we play it on the deck we look a decent footballing team. I'm not asking for Arsenal or Barcelona but simply to mix our play up a bit. I just feel that Allardyce is too stubborn in his ways to give our players the freedom to do this.

If our away form were as good as our home form, we'd be in the top six.

Is that what you're expecting of Allardyce ?

Jim I don't think anybody's expecting us to win week in week out away from home, but there is no fight or pride in our away performances and that hurts. As soon as the first goal goes in, our heads drop and we give up.

I'd rather be grinding out results than doing a West Brom and playing pretty football every week

My Baggies-supporting chum was pulling what little is left of his hair out last season.

The question is, is it possible to stay in the Premier League without the money to buy top-class players or the wages to pay them, and play attractive football at the same time ? Is there a club in the Prem currently managing to achieve this ?

I don't think it is possible, which is why fans have to accept that in the current financial climate the manager has to be pragmatic and try to grind out the points and the results when they are most achieveable.

Instead of knocking the club let's celebrate that Rovers under Allardyce are once again fighting far above their weight.

The worst thing is that we dont have CB's who are good enough to distribute the ball or bring it forward. They only hoof whether they are told to or not, but distribution is poor!

Not sure this is true. I don't think they hoof it because they're not good enough to do anything else, it's often because it's the only option available to them. More often than not, whenever one of our back 4 has the ball (and a bit of time) our midfield all turn and start sprinting upfield. No one turns and looks for a short ball in to feet. I guess it must be tactical - the players must have been told that's what to do, if not then Sam needs to tell them to stop doing it.

Whatever it is - it's depressing to watch, especially as at least 50% of the time (if not more) it comes straight back

The match report on the BBc website refers to Ewood as a "Pennine Stronghold"

:wstu:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8502171.stm

Les Roopanarine obviously wasn't listening in Geography

Muppet

Thought 'Pennine Lancashire' was what urban renewal types gave to this area now?!

Anyways, as 47er notes, we can't even grind out wins and be happy. If ever a fanbase needed a reality check and to take a long, hard look around the wider game in this country, it's ours.

If you've ever played football for any sort of club, then you will know that playing it in the air is the most challenging thing for a player. Anyone can kick a ball, it takes a lot more skill and effort to send accurate high balls in and win them.

Sorry but I've heard some tripe in my time but that is up there with the best of them..

More effort?? Nope... It's the easy option esp with a lone striker facing you giving you an out. Making space for yourself to recieve the ball in a good position is hard work.

More Skill???? Putting your laces through the ball into channels and areas? The long ball is effective for crap players as the time the ball is the air gives you time to set yourself under it and challenge for it and hope the ball drops for you..If it's a harder skill why don't the top teams with the better players do it? Remember Wimbledon? Effective team but lacking in quality. Played the way they did as they had to. We're better than that. Or maybe you played for wimbledon hence your defence of these tactics?

Anyway a good needed 3 points and my first home game in 18months due to being in oz. Went to Stoke but the less said about that the better.

Thought Nelson, Ollson, Diouf and Kalinic had great games. Nelson was key tonight. Looked strong and solid.

Dissapointed in Nzonzi after all I'd read on here about his potential. Struck me as a poor player. The right size but seems to have no awareness of space and when to travel with the ball. Andrews very quiet. Both seemed to drop very deep when Hull had the ball. Would have liked at least one of them to press instead of standing a yard in front of our centre backs.

Salgado - Can't for the life of me understand that people thought he looked good. He was clearly targeted as our weak link from the start. Prior to the sending off everything when down his side and he really struggled. You could also see Hunt screaming for the ball everytime as he knew he'd beat him. Also when in possesion just seems to open his foot out and put in straight up in the air. So far from what I expected.

Kalinic - Looks a quality player and completely horrible to mark. Great touch, strong and puts his marker in two minds. The guy marking him was never sure if he should ccommit to the challenge and risk being turned or sit off and allow him to bring it down. Looked isolated at times but carried out a tough and vital task very well. Pleased with the signing as has a lot of quality.

So a win next monday against Bolton would be massive and take the pressure off. Maybe then we can get the ball down and maybe try to introduce our new Turkish playmaker in the team.

Was nice to see Rovers fans back in the Darwin as well. PLenty of noise coming from that area of the ground

Not sure this is true. I don't think they hoof it because they're not good enough to do anything else, it's often because it's the only option available to them. More often than not, whenever one of our back 4 has the ball (and a bit of time) our midfield all turn and start sprinting upfield. No one turns and looks for a short ball in to feet. I guess it must be tactical - the players must have been told that's what to do, if not then Sam needs to tell them to stop doing it.

Whatever it is - it's depressing to watch, especially as at least 50% of the time (if not more) it comes straight back

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but we won and kept another clean sheet. Can we not embrace the fact that we are not in Bolton's position?

Open your eye's people! Small town, no money, big league and mid table.

I think you're right Paul. Allardyce has proved to be excellent at producing consistent and winning home form but surely there is scope to play better football?

There is always scope for improvement, even if you are Man Utd.

I do feel though, that Allardyce has, or is getting as much as possible out of this group of players. This isn't the most talented bunch of players we've ever had in our time in the PL is it? In fact, it's the worst we've ever had. Coming off the ground last night, I said to Paul "how on earth have we got to 31 points"? The truth, as much as some wont admit, is that the guy has done remarkably well to reach that figure, with this set of players.

Now I'm not happy with what I'm watching - although it's not always as bad as some make out - but honestly, changing managers at this point would be a big gamble. Should we take that gamble at this moment in time? That would be Russian Roulette. JW wouldn't play that with our club.

The question is, is it possible to stay in the Premier League without the money to buy top-class players or the wages to pay them, and play attractive football at the same time ? Is there a club in the Prem currently managing to achieve this ?

Fulham. Birmingham. Maybe even Burnley (doing well at home, terrible away - sound familiar?)

I don't understand this argument that says you can either stay up or play decent football. When did the two become mutually exclusive?

People keep using West Brom as an example, but since Hull, who play a very similar style to ourselves if last night was anything to go by, may well go down this season, what does that tell us? Maybe ######, long-ball football isn't guaranteed to keep us up after all?

Wasn't one of the problems last night that we were too comfortable. We took our foot off the gas as soon as they had a player sent off and no doubt felt that the goals were going to come eventually. This allowed them to get forward more and then their confidnce grew and it was us on the back foot and them looking more likely to score. The last few mins and particularly the time added on then became extremely tense as they pushed for an equaliser and we just tried to contain them. Had they kept 11 men on the pitch we might have played better because we had to.

I also find the difference between the first half at home and the second very worrying. I think perhaps Allardyce should not go into the dressing room at half time if we are in the lead because he seems to make the team more nervous. they go in with their tails up and come out looking to protect a lead. Now they need reminding that they need to concentrate but they do not need to be put off the better play that has got them a lead in the first place. We look a lot better when we play on the front foot (even the longer ball stuff works better) and try to play in the opposition half. We're in a good position and looking like we might well have done enouigh to stay up (even the bookies don't think we'll go down and they are usually right about most things as they don't like to lose cash) but all the talk and the atmosphere is too negative still. Last night was a strange atmosphere in view of events at the weekend and the players almost seemed to be trying too hard to get that win and somehow getting over anxious about it.

We had 20 shots and goal last night. If we were more clinical we would have hammered them; Givet, Emerton, Nelsen and Kalinic all should have scored, whilst Diouf, Olsson (again) and N'Zonzi had good chances.

What more do people want? That was a good game to watch. Once we settle players like Basturk into the team we might be able to get some more flair in the final third, but that was still at least equal to what Hughes was serving up in this time here.

The prejudice against Allardyce is amazing. I'm not a huge fan of his and won't be gutted when he leaves like I was with Hughes, but he is doing a good job.

Fulham. Birmingham. Maybe even Burnley (doing well at home, terrible away - sound familiar?)

I don't understand this argument that says you can either stay up or play decent football. When did the two become mutually exclusive?

People keep using West Brom as an example, but since Hull, who play a very similar style to ourselves if last night was anything to go by, may well go down this season, what does that tell us? Maybe ######, long-ball football isn't guaranteed to keep us up after all?

Ince tried to make us play 'good football'. We would have been playing championship football if he had stayed. Playing decent football and staying up is not easy. Not many teams in the bottom half could be described as 'good footballing' sides. You look at our players and its clear that we dont have the talent to play smooth passing football effectively enough to win us games. There is a medium between the two obviously. Hughes managed to find it with a vastly superior squad. Allardyce doesnt have the funds or playing personell to try and get there now.

Id say we're a midtable team with a midtable squad, which is exactly where we are. And that is why all the critics of Allardyce need to take a step back before slamming him yet again. There are always reasons to dislike any manager if you look hard enough and are desperate to find them. As one poster said on a previous page, it seems that when we win its down to luck but when we lose its down to Sam poor management. You cant have it both ways.

Wasn't one of the problems last night that we were too comfortable. We took our foot off the gas as soon as they had a player sent off and no doubt felt that the goals were going to come eventually. This allowed them to get forward more and then their confidnce grew and it was us on the back foot and them looking more likely to score. The last few mins and particularly the time added on then became extremely tense as they pushed for an equaliser and we just tried to contain them. Had they kept 11 men on the pitch we might have played better because we had to.

I also find the difference between the first half at home and the second very worrying. I think perhaps Allardyce should not go into the dressing room at half time if we are in the lead because he seems to make the team more nervous. they go in with their tails up and come out looking to protect a lead. Now they need reminding that they need to concentrate but they do not need to be put off the better play that has got them a lead in the first place. We look a lot better when we play on the front foot (even the longer ball stuff works better) and try to play in the opposition half. We're in a good position and looking like we might well have done enouigh to stay up (even the bookies don't think we'll go down and they are usually right about most things as they don't like to lose cash) but all the talk and the atmosphere is too negative still. Last night was a strange atmosphere in view of events at the weekend and the players almost seemed to be trying too hard to get that win and somehow getting over anxious about it.

It was the old adage that it's often harder to play against 10 than 11. We were very comfortable once we went ahead and Hull hardly saw the ball for 15 minutes or so.

For the poster above who thought Salgado was poor ask yourself how much danger Hunt had last night compared to other games Hull have played recently. It was not a great performance by Salgado but he was head and shoulders better than Chimbonda has been the last few weeks, especially last Saturday.

Salgado - Can't for the life of me understand that people thought he looked good. He was clearly targeted as our weak link from the start. Prior to the sending off everything when down his side and he really struggled. You could also see Hunt screaming for the ball everytime as he knew he'd beat him. Also when in possesion just seems to open his foot out and put in straight up in the air. So far from what I expected.

Andy, great post. Agree with everything you say except for the above. I thought Salgado had a great game. He looked strong in his position and made a number of strong runs and played through a good amount of creative balls through. He never stopped running and looking to get into space. I've not been a supporter of his this season but last night I was geniunely impressed and would much prefer him over Chimbonda in the future providing that he keeps to that level.

Its time we as fans face up to some facts. When we employed Sam he was the best man we could get at the time. We all knew the brand of football he would bring with him- he is many ways similar to Arsene Wenger, in the fact that have an ethos that they will not diversify away from it.

Critics such as PhilipL need to be realistic and look at the cold hard-facts, whilst the beloved trust still own the club, tippy-tappy successful football is a none starter. Ince tried and failed. If fans wish to apportion blame for Rovers, results and style of play -try levelling it at the money men who believe you can sustain a premier league club on negative transfer balance.

I will be the first to admit, that the games I have attended ( mostly away) have been extremely in terms of performance & results, but this trend set in under the latter of Hughes’s tenure and has continued upon until this point. To play attractive winning football is a none starter whilst we have the current owners, therefore it leaves us with two options.

Play attractive open football- with an extremely big chance of being relegated

Or play dull, effective football- which will possibly lead to a midway finish.

I know which option I prefer.

I also thought Salgado had a good game, and seemed to have the beating of Hunt on every occasion and managed to do well against Zaki The Whale when he came on too.

Win is a win. Wasn't pretty, but I get the feeling we could sneak 10th at the end of the campaign. Ewood really is a fortress these days and long may it continue! Let's hope we can pick up more points away from home as the season draws to a close!

We had 20 shots and goal last night. If we were more clinical we would have hammered them; Givet, Emerton, Nelsen and Kalinic all should have scored, whilst Diouf, Olsson (again) and N'Zonzi had good chances.

What more do people want? That was a good game to watch. Once we settle players like Basturk into the team we might be able to get some more flair in the final third, but that was still at least equal to what Hughes was serving up in this time here.

Those were my thoughts after the game, we battered them for good spells but failed to find the second goal to kill them off.

The game was pretty good to watch, and we played some football, even though most choose to ignore it.

Den, if its so bad, why do you keep going? Nobody forces you through the turnstiles do they?

You're right, it's not guaranteed to keep us up, there are no guarantee's. Yet we are 11th.

Fulham, not too far from us but have spent a lot more, pay more in salaries, have a multi millionaire owner and also have the lure of London to attract players, Birmingham have got where they are (only 6points ahead of us) mostly through consistency and few injuries & suspensions, Burnley doing well? Are you mad? They are in the bottom 3 for god's sake!!!

Open your eye's Dave, thing's aren't as bad as you and the doom and gloom brigade make out.

Salgado was excellent last night. It was by far the best performance by a right back this season. Chimbonda's best games have been at left back...

Overall, I can't really find fault with anyone apart from maybe Emerton who should have taken his chance and looked tired in the second half.

Kalinic - Looks a quality player and completely horrible to mark. Great touch, strong and puts his marker in two minds.

Strong?

I've never seen a rovers striker fall over so easily. Horrible to mark - yes, because he's a complete pain to the defenders, but has to show a lot more for me to be convinced.

Big things were expected of Steve Bruce at Sunderland and they are 5 points behind us, admittedly with a game in hand but that is against Bolton so whatever the result it doesn't matter to us! Look at West Ham with Zola at the helm, a big club in big trouble going nowhere at all. At least we are stable with a excellent board and what I think is our ideal management team.

This is very true! Well said.

Archived