BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull Preview

colin

The win is the most important thing and it was well earnt. We made sure it was difficult for us with the misses. Although we shouldnt have let them back into the game. After they moved to two strikers, we shouldve reacted faster and thrown on Junior to hurt them with his pace.

The longer the game went, the more dangerous they became.

I thought Diouf and Salgado were both immense today. Kalinic worked very hard, magnificent effort, but he had 2-3 half chances which he shouldve done better with. I felt a bit more relaxed when Roberts came on.

Looking at the results, had we failed to win, that was us back into it with West Ham and Wolves both winning.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see some of the dummy spitting hysterics from before the game come on and eat humble pie but I suspect that won't happen. Happy to take 3 points either way.

I certainly wasnt a dummy spitting hysteric before the game and im certainly not one after, that kind of performance may well see us stay safe this season with the bad teams that are in the prem but it doesnt do my confidence much good for next season.

Good news. 9 points from safety. 13 games to collect the 9 points. We are looking very good.

I still think we'll get north of 40 (for you sceptics, we can get to 46 points) but the important thing is that we are positioned for a decent mid-table finish.

I certainly wasnt a dummy spitting hysteric before the game and im certainly not one after, that kind of performance may well see us stay safe this season with the bad teams that are in the prem but it doesnt do my confidence much good for next season.

I have said this before but we have dunn and grella to come back with basturk too to add steel and skill in midfield, if reid and mgp leave we then have nearly 100k in wages saved for next season with money from benni sale too, I am very optomistic about next season!

You going to sit in the corner miles away from your friends and fight 2 bouncers on your own?! That's brave :D hehe

I have a liking for him too, I think it's because he reminds me so much of Matty Jansen, the way he moves and traps the ball?

That'll probably be the scenario. Although, I'll nick the most beautiful girl of the night at the end, inside of the post, on pure quality. Amen.

On: 1 away victory and 1 shock win and we're there.

I would like to see some of the dummy spitting hysterics from before the game come on and eat humble pie but I suspect that won't happen. Happy to take 3 points either way.

I still thought we'd win, because Hull are lightweight, esp away from home.

Still, 3pts in the bag and another cushion against the threat of relegation.

Just got back. We were very average, but Hull were worse. Awful game, best thing to say about it was we won, got the three points and are only 9 from the 40 mark.

It is truly diabolical to watch though .... oh for one player with a bit of creativity, and a more positive manager. The end of the season can't come soon enough.

Despite winning, we were poor and only beat a 10-man Hull City team 1-0. No improvement on the football we played, same old hoofball. We could still go down, and if we don't then I'm not very confident for next season because our finishing is so poor, surely our luck won't hold up. Olsson's goal was very lucky, despite the great run, the ball managed to deflect from the keeper into the net. Unfair red card, we would've struggled if it wasn't given and could've lost... so that's a bit of a relief for Sam, but his job is still on the line and if we lose our next game we'll be in trouble again.

............... sorry, the above wasn't serious. That's just my weak attempt at being one of the cynics on here, I wanted to see how easy it was to put down a good performance and a good win. Surprisingly, not too hard. Although I don't quite have the witty remarks of waggy or the caps lock induced rants of abbey :D

Very happy for Olsson, the boy is on fire. He has proven that he can play well both at left back and on the wing, which is very important for us. I have a good feeling about the team, with Grella, Dunn and Basturk coming in ... we could be much stronger. I just hope we can bring in some quality reinforcements for next season as well.

Just got back. We were very average, but Hull were worse. Awful game, best thing to say about it was we won, got the three points and are only 9 from the 40 mark.

It is truly diabolical to watch though .... oh for one player with a bit of creativity, and a more positive manager. The end of the season can't come soon enough.

Damn, you beat my cynical post just by a couple of minutes :(

• Backroom

Well the points are whats important right now but that was God awful at times. Painful to watch. The most annoying thing is when we play football we score some great goals, then resort back to hoofball for no reason.

- Olsson was great, all over the place especially in the first half, shame the goal is deemed as an OG

- Kalinic worked really hard but lacks a killer instinct at present

- Diouf did well at times but seems more interested in winning a free kick than using the ball

- Emerton again was poor on the ball but works well off it. His back pass to Myhill was abysmal

- The red was harsh but McShane should have gone

- Roberts is never ever good enough, all he had to do in injury time was watch his line and he had a 1-1 of course he couldn't do that

- Salgado did well

- nice to see Tugay sat with Basturk in the box in the BBE

- Rather less nice hearing the nob shout in the minutes silence and the Owen Coyle chant in the BBE

The win is massive but I feel down after that, if we are condemned to this kind of football from now on I fear for my own sanity.

Despite winning, we were poor and only beat a 10-man Hull City team 1-0. No improvement on the football we played, same old hoofball. We could still go down, and if we don't then I'm not very confident for next season because our finishing is so poor, surely our luck won't hold up. Olsson's goal was very lucky, despite the great run, the ball managed to deflect from the keeper into the net. Unfair red card, we would've struggled if it wasn't given and could've lost... so that's a bit of a relief for Sam, but his job is still on the line and if we lose our next game we'll be in trouble again.

............... sorry, the above wasn't serious. That's just my weak attempt at being one of the cynics on here, I wanted to see how easy it was to put down a good performance and a good win. Surprisingly, not too hard. Although I don't quite have the witty remarks of waggy or the caps lock induced rants of abbey :D

Very happy for Olsson, the boy is on fire. He has proven that he can play well both at left back and on the wing, which is very important for us. I have a good feeling about the team, with Grella, Dunn and Basturk coming in ... we could be much stronger. I just hope we can bring in some quality reinforcements for next season as well.

Easy not to be a cynic when your not spending your hard earned money watching that Miker

My feelings same as Mark, absolutely shocking performance from us against ten men, didn't enjoy it one bit but we got 3 points so what more can you say?

Thank god for a bit of spirit and ingenuity from Olsson as yet again the one up front lark failed with Kalinic left looking isolated and in need of support up front.

Miker, you have some very weird views indeed.

It's quite obvious you're more anti-Sam than pro-Rovers.

We weren't amazing but we created plenty of chances and looked well in control before the sending off. Although there were hoofball moments, we also played the ball nicely along the floor, looked good on both wings and won most of the 50-50s.

The main issue was our performance in the final third but to call us truly diabolical to watch tonight is so horribly biased you might aswell be wearing claret and blue.

Has any manager polarised fans' opinions (did I get the apostrophe right?) as much as Sam Allardyce?

No I wouldnt say he's polarising opinions, a lot of us don't think he's a brilliant manager or doing a brilliant job but we think he's doing a decent job under difficult circumstances.

The rest are happy to call a peformance where we could easily have scored three or four given better finishing "shocking" and "diabolical". Sure Hull aren't a great side but we were in control the entire game.

Guest Kamy100

Just got back. By god it was freezing tonight.

The most important thing was that we got the three points tonight. The performance was ok, we did well in the first half against a very poor Hull side. Second half we dominated for 20 minutes or so and really should have buried Hull, we didn't and the last 15 minutes we got nervous, although Hull didn't really create any chances. If I am honest the football on show was awful, our lack of technical ability in midfield was exposed when Hull were reduced to 10 men. Also lost count of the times that Niko was left isolated upfront.

But the key thing was to get the three points, we got that and can now move on to the Bolton game.

Miker, I know for some reason you're hopelessly in love with Sam, so I don't expect my post - which is my opinion based on what I SAW, actually AT the game (which gives you a far better perspective than watching it on NO STREAMING LINKS THANKS or whatever) to change your mind. After all, don't they say 'love is blind?'

Despite the fact it was largely a dire spectacle, I agree Olsson played very well (although it was a cross!), and Salgado showed he should be picked at right-back over Chimbonda on current form.

Just back from the game, bloody freezing, frustrated but happy none the less for the three points. I say happy but the reality is, and ind all seriousness, that performance was utter dire, what should have been a solemn occasion following the untimely death of John Taylor, we really should have seen more from this Rovers team against a very very poor Hull team who played most of the game with 10 players.

The worst thing about going to the game was thinking about JT even though I never knew him. Sad as I felt about his death (being a football fan) I was looking forward to the game and hopefully the 3 points. After Stoke, Rovers owed their fans big time. When I heard the team selection, talk about deflated. I was absolutley gutted to see 1 up front, the inclusion of Andrews and Diouf as well as Salgado at right back. All the talk pre match was about taking the points and remembering our lost supporter.

The team clearly set up 4-3-3 and not 4-5-1. For 15 minutes, they huffed and puffed. Rovers made the most of the running and Hull were barely in the game. You could sense it wasnt going to be an easy night. Step forward hero in the making in Martin Ollson. A bright light amongst the dimmed and he managed to get the ball in t he back of the net from a Craig Short type of angle. He then led from the back and was our most prominent of attackers with two furhte refforts on the Hull goal. In between Boeteng committed suicide and got himself a straight red for an elbow led challenge. Surely, Rovers could take out the 10 men with ease.

Half time called again (at the wrong time for Rovers) and the Hull players gnaged amass ont he ref as he walked off the pitch. How he didnt book altidore is simply astounding. His show of petulance was amazing yet the ref stood and took it.

As Rovers took the pitch at the start of half 2, you sensed again it wasnt the same Rovers 11 in the first half. Player wise it was but effort wise it was nowhere near the same 11. The midfield disintegrated, the defence wobbled, the support for Kalinic wasnt there, Diouf stuttered, Andrews disappeared. You get the picture ?

Rovers simply couldnt get the ball to feet. No passing, no control and no tactics. The easy passing was replaced by erratic football, panic football and wastefullness.

I wondered what Andrews was playing at then I fremembered, he once played for Hull City and must have suffered flashback of some sort. The hole he left in our middle was as wide as the proverbial Mersey tunnel. Yes he pointed well, he even drew some circles with his hands but he also created mayhem in our middle part of the park.

A couple of changes had to be made yet Sam took off Emerton. On came Roberts, followed by Reid at the end as Hull tried to get the equaliser.

Tonight saw Rovers break the 30 point mark, its a major step towards safety and puts us 9 points ahead of the dingles, 15 points ahead of pompy and I reckon, only 6 more points are needed for safety this season.

Robinson - 6 - flapped at the end but a good save in the first half.

Salgado - 5 - all over like the headless chicken.

Nelsen and Givet - 7 both had good games and really should have scored a goal apeice.

Ollson - 8 - my MOTM

MGP - 6 - worked hard but disappeared for part of the second half.

Diouf - 6 - in and out, more out.

Andrews - 3 - I cant be any more generous than that. Crap IMO.

Emerton -6- missed a sitter.

NZonzi - 6 - good in the air but left exposed by Andrews lack of basic football nouse.

Kalinic - 8 - solid workrate throughout just needs a little luck in the area and a playing partner and oh yes, some supply line !

For me, Sam got the make up of the team wrong. Andrews should have been left out for Reid, Hoilett should have been on for Diouf and Rovers should really have opted for a 4-4-2 formation. With that team/line up/formation we would have destroyed Hull and made inroads into the goal difference. 4 goals tonight would have done nicely instead we saw our team struggle versus 10 men.

maybe I am acting like a spoilt brat but please Sam you nearly cost us the game and that would have been unforgiveable on tonight of ALL occasions.

rest assured, Bolton Winkers wont be so accomodating and we really do need to beat them !

Finally, the ref was a wuss.

Allardyce is really starting to irritate me. He got the tactics all wrong again and was lucky Hull were reduced to 10 men. We created two clear cut chances and scored from a half chance (not even that really), yet he bleats on about creating all these chances and not finishing them. He must be watching a different game to me. Seeing Kalinic get mugged for 80 mins as the ball is hoofed up to him is not what I pay my money to see.

It's a big 3 points and we're probably safe, but nobody can honestly say they're happy with the performances this season.

In a way, I look at the table and can't really believe it. if you'd been in a coma from the beginning of August, woke up now and straight away looked at the table, you'd think that he was doing a fantastic job.

Every year, we sell a bit more of the family silver and give only part of it to the manager to replace. On paper, that is not sustainable.

I do think he's a divisive personality. OK, pro- and anti-Allardyce parties may not be poles apart, but it can seem like it at times.

It's quite obvious you're more anti-Sam than pro-Rovers.

We weren't amazing but we created plenty of chances and looked well in control before the sending off. Although there were hoofball moments, we also played the ball nicely along the floor, looked good on both wings and won most of the 50-50s.

The main issue was our performance in the final third but to call us truly diabolical to watch tonight is so horribly biased you might aswell be wearing claret and blue.

And it's quite obvious you are so pro-Sam that you will never agree with me - football's a game of opinions and ours are poles apart. OK, we created chances - almost exclusively from free-kicks, corners, long-throws or just lumping it in. Call me a purist, but that's not the type of football that I would class as enjoyable to watch. Against 10 men we had what, 2 shots on target?

An yeah, I must not be pro-Rovers, seeing as I've had a season ticket since 1982. :wacko:

Allardyce is really starting to irritate me. He got the tactics all wrong again and was lucky Hull were reduced to 10 men. We created two clear cut chances and scored from a half chance (not even that really), yet he bleats on about creating all these chances and not finishing them.

FFS.

Lucky?! We were controlling the game before the sending off just as much as we controlled it after the sending off. Not vintage stuff and not a great opposition but to say we were lucky is utter tripe. Had Hull been overunning us and seriously threatening to equalise then you mightve had half a point.

Two clear cut chances?! We had Givet's header against Myhill/the bar, Nelsen's header tipped over the bar, the ball flashed across goal that both Kalinic and Nelsen couldnt somehow get a touch on, Emerton shooting straight at Myhill when clean through...and several other moments when we looked like we could have easily scored but the final ball was lacking.

Archived