BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull Preview

colin

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryan, thanks for your positive outlook(chuck us over some of that ale you've been supping please, I need some morale boosting!) Givet is at CB because Samba is out and Olsson is at left back, which he isn't great at. Though your points are completely correct, it seems the only things he is doing right are things that have been forced upon him!

Bit of yoga, that's what you need Dan! I'm just hacked off to the back teeth with being depressed about it, then i was apathetic, now I've moved on to trying to be positive.

I agree about Olsson being poor at left-back.

There are some severe constraints (a team peppered with gash players), but I would like to think a better team could be picked than that.

My questions;-

- Wouldn't Reid be a better pick over Andrews? Or maybe we could play him at right-back, and play Salgado centre-mid instead of right-back?

- Olsson seems to be better utilised as a winger, great pace, could we not have re-shuffled the defence in a way that allowed him to play as a winger and not a left-back? Because otherwise he may be more of a liability than an asset.

- Is Diouf really a better option than Hoilett to start? Even if hoilett's mind is not right because he wants away, surely he's better than that prat?

- If you're going to play Pedersen then surely the way forward has already been seen to be to play him central?

- EDIT - could we not have thought about using Roberts up front with Kalinic, telling him to win the knock-downs for Niko? (I know he can't shoot and he's moody and un-motivated.)

I can't really see the logic, it's the lack of consistency that is baffling me, and I'm wondering if he picks the side courtesy of Mrs Allardyce picking names out of a tombola?

I agree with OsloRover - Chimbonda was also rubbish against Stoke and looked totally uniterested. He was at fault for at least one goal.

When anyone is talking about Olsson being poor defensively they are probably thinking about Tottenham away last season under Ince. Olsson has proven to be a decent left-back this season and he might be a good choice to stop Chris Fagan who has decent pace.

I am happy with the team selection except Salgado being RB. He is as slow as a turtle.

I'd like you to explain who you would put in your lineup given the players available.

I wouldn't have Andrews or Diouf anywhere near the first 11 to be honest. They haven't showed any premiership quality attributes in any game I've seen. Diouf especially, there is no outlet when he is in midfield. He gets the ball, then turns back into trouble and loses the ball everytime. If Reid is on the bench then he must be match fit, otherwise it's bad management. What if he needed to come on for an injury in the first 5 minutes?

1 up front hasn't worked all season, if we had an attacking midfield to support Niko, then it may work. You can see what is going to happen already, lump it to Niko and it will not work, we've seen it all before. . Olsson at left back hasn't worked, he is great at left wing however.

Sam hasn't learnt from previous matches, we all, well most of us, know what couldvwirk and what won't. Unfortunately Sam doesn't. He seems to have short term memory loss.

Haha it's hard to tell because everyone's played in so many different positions this season!

Yep, and I think it's a reasonable point that if you want to get any sort of reasonable run going you need some sort of stability with team selections/ formations.

Granted sometimes you have injuries/ suspensions/ and yes some players do need a rest now and then if they're jaded. Sometimes you might need to adopt a specific formation as a one-off.

But there generally needs to be some sort of general consistency.

Bit of yoga, that's what you need Dan! I'm just hacked off to the back teeth with being depressed about it, then i was apathetic, now I've moved on to trying to be positive.

I agree about Olsson being poor at left-back.

There are some severe constraints (a team peppered with gash players), but I would like to think a better team could be picked than that.

My questions;-

- Wouldn't Reid be a better pick over Andrews? Or maybe we could play him at right-back, and play Salgado centre-mid instead of right-back?

- Olsson seems to be better utilised as a winger, great pace, could we not have re-shuffled the defence in a way that allowed him to play as a winger and not a left-back? Because otherwise he may be more of a liability than an asset.

- Is Diouf really a better option than Hoilett to start? Even if hoilett's mind is not right because he wants away, surely he's better than that prat?

- If you're going to play Pedersen then surely the way forward has already been seen to be to play him central?

- EDIT - could we not have thought about using Roberts up front with Kalinic, telling him to win the knock-downs for Niko? (I know he can't shoot and he's moody and un-motivated.)

I can't really see the logic, it's the lack of consistency that is baffling me, and I'm wondering if he picks the side courtesy of Mrs Allardyce picking names out of a tombola?

I agree with everything you posted, except the yoga! I'm not flexible enough these days!

The tombola theory sounds right to me. That starting 11 isn't the best team available, so why pick it? We aren't resting players for anything and have the weekend off! This is a must win game, a 6 pointer! I just don't understand. Even the tea lady could pick a 442 with our strongest players.

The tombola theory sounds right to me. That starting 11 isn't the best team available, so why pick it? We aren't resting players for anything and have the weekend off! This is a must win game, a 6 pointer! I just don't understand. Even the tea lady could pick a 442 with our strongest players.

I can see neither rhyme nor reason to it, it seems to change with the wind.

Maybe if the logic could be explained to me, I'd stop being so distemperate (word of the day).

I wouldn't have Andrews or Diouf anywhere near the first 11 to be honest. They haven't showed any premiership quality attributes in any game I've seen. Diouf especially, there is no outlet when he is in midfield. He gets the ball, then turns back into trouble and loses the ball everytime. If Reid is on the bench then he must be match fit, otherwise it's bad management. What if he needed to come on for an injury in the first 5 minutes?

1 up front hasn't worked all season, if we had an attacking midfield to support Niko, then it may work. You can see what is going to happen already, lump it to Niko and it will not work, we've seen it all before. . Olsson at left back hasn't worked, he is great at left wing however.

Sam hasn't learnt from previous matches, we all, well most of us, know what couldvwirk and what won't. Unfortunately Sam doesn't. He seems to have short term memory loss.

Ok so you would replace Diouf and Andrews with Reid? As I said myself, I don't want Diouf anywhere near the team, but I'm not sure we have a realistic other choice. Reid is on the bench because, as sad as it is, he appears to be our fittest midfielder out of Dunn, Grella, Basturk and him.

It will be lumping it forward, but given Hull has managed to beat Man City and draw with Chelsea trying to play good football, maybe that's just what we need.

Ok so you would replace Diouf and Andrews with Reid? As I said myself, I don't want Diouf anywhere near the team, but I'm not sure we have a realistic other choice. Reid is on the bench because, as sad as it is, he appears to be our fittest midfielder out of Dunn, Grella, Basturk and him.

It will be lumping it forward, but given Hull has managed to beat Man City and draw with Chelsea trying to play good football, maybe that's just what we need.

Of course I wouldn't replace 2 players with 1 player, though you could argue with them two in the team we are down to 9 players before we start. Hoilett and Reid in for Diouf and Andrews, failing that play Doran, he can't possibly be worse than Andrews or Diouf. We need Basturk and Dunn fit ASAP!

Archived