BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull Preview

colin

Salgado was excellent last night. It was by far the best performance by a right back this season. Chimbonda's best games have been at left back...

Overall, I can't really find fault with anyone apart from maybe Emerton who should have taken his chance and looked tired in the second half.

£6m doesn't buy you a finished artical any more, it buy's you a kid with talent to mould into a good striker. Sadly this doesn't happen over night.

Nicko is looking a great signing, along with N'Zonzi & Givet.

Strong?

I've never seen a rovers striker fall over so easily. Horrible to mark - yes, because he's a complete pain to the defenders, but has to show a lot more for me to be convinced.

We'll get the team of '95 back for you den, you obviously won't be happy with anything else.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you've ever played football for any sort of club, then you will know that playing it in the air is the most challenging thing for a player. Anyone can kick a ball, it takes a lot more skill and effort to send accurate high balls in and win them. If our players have those skills then let them use it to their advantage. As it stands though, we are now getting quite a few players into the team who can effectively play along the ground and dribble with the ball, but that part of the team is not complete yet. By next season I fully expect us to be mixing it up effectively. You can quote me on that next year as well if you need.

I don't agree with much of what you post, especially in this thread, but that's a different point. The quote above is complete nonsense though. IF we sent accurate high balls in and won them there would be a considerable amount of skill involved - the difficulty is we don't send in accurate balls. The defenders simply belt it up field and hope someone connects. There is an enormous difference between a penetrating 50 yard pass, at whatever height, and a kick upfield. That you can't differentiate, or see what Rovers do, tends to put the rest of your arguements in perspective. Football on TV is very different from the real thing.

As Den said we wondered how we have got to 31 points? I expect we will get another 9-11 and finish quite comfortably on 40-42 which in terms of PL survival and a decent place is OK. I felt we played quite well at times last night but was very worried by our inability to finish - 3,4 or 5 great chances from which we should have scored - and how we failed to dominate a Hull side down to ten men. At times we played so deep even Allardyce was screaming at the team to push up!!

I don't like the style of football, it doesn't make me look forward to games, it doesn't get me off my seat much but we are winning and I won't complain about that. Sam Allardyce has done his job and kept us in the PL on a shoe-string for which he deserves real credit. I can't though get excited about what I'm watching which is especially frustrating when the team have shown they can play better football than this.

My original prediction for the season was 15/16th, I now think we may finish around 12/13th which all in all is reasonable.

Still not sure Allardyce will stay at Ewood, I can see him retiring on genuine health grounds. Lets face it how many of us at 58 with, I presume, a decent bank balance, would carry on working in an extremely high presssure job with a dodgy heart? My wife would nail my feet to the floor.

What I like about Big Sam is that he generally pulls out results when needed.A recent stat on Sky football Saturday showed that Rovers had only lost once to a side who were below them in the table at the time and that was Sunderland (this was before the stoke game). He prepares thoroughly and knows the opposition strenghts and weaknesses. He gives me the confidence that we will stay up and hopefully prosper. The football is not what some of us have been brought up on but if it keeps this club in the highest division, then who are we to criticise.

Possibly the nature of the game is changing anyway in so far as players get rested, constant changing of the side, yellow cards for tackles that in the past would have gone unnoticed and the huge influx of money which has made clubs totally alter their targets in favour survival at any cost.

He will keep us up and a win against Bolton would virtually guarantee Prem football next season.

This is why football is such a great game as so many people have different expectations and perceptions of a game. Im my opinion last night Sam got it completely wrong and was lucky that Hull were reduced to ten men.

Hull set up 4-4-2 away from home while a team above them at home set up 4-3-3 but pretty much played as 4-5-1 in my opinion. Why we took so long to go with two upfront was beyond me and those sat around me. Also, was Emerton injured? Why didn’t he just make a straight stop with Toillett and not play a left winger (or inward left) on the right hand side.

Robinson had a decent game, made a decent save to his left but wasn’t really tested that much.

Salgado is a headless chicken. Seems to have learnt the HOOOOOFFFF tactics quickly.

Givet had a decent game. Should have scored and needs to sort his distribution out.

Nelsen again had a decent game but is the king of the big boot boys!

Ollson had a good game and really is the only glimmer of skill and guile in the whole team. He bursts forward and tries to create something.

Diouf had a decent first half and kept the ball well but really needs to know when to pass.

Pedersen did okay.

Andrews runs around a lot and points things out really well. He had an okay first half but was lost in the second.

N’Zonzi was my man of the match. Never gave the ball away and plays simple passes to our midfield which then pass it to the opposing player

Emerton didn’t do much and should have scored the one on one

Kalanic had an awful game in my opinion. Couldn’t turn his man, was on his ass all the time, looked tired in my opinion. Roberts came on and turned the same defender within two minutes. I blame the tactics as to why he had such a poor game!

Instead of knocking the club let's celebrate that Rovers under Allardyce are once again fighting far above their weight.

Positive spin Jim, but won't wash for much longer I fear.

How long are you going to ‘celebrate’ punching above our weight and playing mediocre football at home and not bothering away from home?

Survival is the key for Blackburn Rovers granted, but you have to be entertained at some point or why bother going?

Friend of mine sent this to me this morning:

I was watching them warm up before the game last night and it showed me the reason why I won't be renewing my season ticket next season.

Robinson - practising hoofing long balls of the ground.

Nelson + Givet - one on halfway line other on the by-line line hitting long balls to each other.

Midfield 5 - passing the ball in circles

But the best was Kalinic being warmed up by the coach. Kalinic was stood in the area whilst the coach launched the ball up in the air for him to try and control.

Not happy

Sort of sums up how many people are feeling I think.

diouf impressed me last night - worked hard , decent crossing, and was willing to attacking players - he does need to up his game because he knows he will be dropped if he aint performing ...

olsson again i was impressed with - speed , got stuck in , and hes improving in each game ..

givet - soo much better at centre half then left back - but do we drop nelsen or samba ?? i dont know :/

andrews - if only he could play the game on how he talked it - constantly telling people what to do , where to go - as for his performace - ran around in circles - he offers us nothing

How long are you going to ‘celebrate’ punching above our weight and playing mediocre football at home and not bothering away from home?

Survival is the key for Blackburn Rovers granted, but you have to be entertained at some point or why bother going?

I was watching them warm up before the game last night and it showed me the reason why I won't be renewing my season ticket next season.

Nelson + Givet - one on halfway line other on the by-line line hitting long balls to each other.

But the best was Kalinic being warmed up by the coach. Kalinic was stood in the area whilst the coach launched the ball up in the air for him to try and control.

Not happy

See, I thought supporting the team was giving them support no matter what?

Your mate seems to be a football fan first, then a Rovers fan second.

There seems to be a lot of people (not you Gav, just in general) that mistake clearing your lines for hoof ball.

People going on about how Salgado and Nelsen were just booting it whenever they got the ball. As I saw it, they were "getting rid" when they were in a dangerous area with no other outlet. What do you want them to do? Take the player on?

p.s. of course Robinson would practise "hoofing long balls" thats part of every keepers game. Remember Schmeichel's kicks? the guy could nearly score with them he hit them that long.

How long are you going to ‘celebrate’ punching above our weight and playing mediocre football at home and not bothering away from home? Forever if need be, it beats being back around the bottom of division 2. However the away form will improve as the rebuilding programme progresses.

Survival is the key for Blackburn Rovers granted, but you have to be entertained at some point or why bother going? I was entertained a few times last night, around 20 shots on goal, Diouf's best game for us yet, even Robert's was better than his normal self.

I was watching them warm up before the game last night and it showed me the reason why I won't be renewing my season ticket next season. Reason or excuse?

Robinson - practising hoofing long balls of the ground. Always been part of a keepers job

Nelson + Givet - one on halfway line other on the by-line line hitting long balls to each other. :blink:

Midfield 5 - passing the ball in circles Ridiculous how our midfield can be passing the ball around instead of 'hoofing' it about.

Not happy

Ewood will be a better place without the fickle fans and doom and gloom brigade. Talk about following your team through thick and thin, we won and people still are not happy! "We won but I don't like the way we won" :lol:

I don't understand the doom and gloom to be honest. I thought we played well, battled hard, certainly showed more in terms of effort than previous games. A bit more clinical and it could have been a lot more. We're 11th, yet have one of the smallest budgets in the whole league, and always sell more than we buy. Hopefully same again against Bolton and keep improving.

Not happy

Needs must I'm afraid, you cannot keep selling your best players, then expect to play "decent" football. We tried it with Ince!

We were missing Dunn and Grella last night and their replacements? A left winger and a 20 year old French bloke from the French Ligue 2.

We have also replaced the following players:

Brad- Robbo

Warnock- Chimbonda

Bentley- EHD

RSC- Kalinic

Bellamy- Roberts

What we have purchased is not on the same level as what we have sold, however on a positive note we have seen the emergence of Olsson, Kalinic and Nzonzi in the first 11, these are players for the future and may be even better than what we have sold but the interim period will be a tough one to digest.

Hull set up 4-4-2 away from home while a team above them at home set up 4-3-3 but pretty much played as 4-5-1 in my opinion. Why we took so long to go with two upfront was beyond me and those sat around me. Also, was Emerton injured? Why didn’t he just make a straight stop with Toillett and not play a left winger (or inward left) on the right hand side.

Bringing on Roberts to play alongside Kalinic was a direct response to Brown putting two strikers on again with Zaki and going 3 at the back. It was designed to force someone to help out their back 3 and therefore ease the pressure on the defence. As it worked out it forced Hunt to play as a left back frequently and took his pace away from attacking us.

3 more points in the bag. Last nights game was a scrappy one, but it was always going to be one, considering were Hull are in the league, they never gave in. We should of won by more goals, with Emerton missing a sitter and Givet hitting the bar when he should of scored. Overall though i thought we were easy winners on the night. Keep up the good work Sam, another season in the prem is getting closer and closer.

BIG SAM'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY

There were a number of occasions when players had the option to pass the ball, but chose instead to hoof it up.

We were playing 10 men, but didn't use the width of the pitch as well as we should.

The argument here is the players choose (or are ordered) to play the easy first time hoof up field, rather than a more measured passing game.

This does not make for a great spectator treat, simple.

The ball can still end up in the box, just via the wings and a bit of passing between players, rather than route one.

Oh, and Andrews, I've supported the lad up to now as limited, but honest. But, last night he was truly dreadful. In a midfield 5 against 10 men he barely touched the ball except to give it away. There was a 15 minute spell in the second half when he didn't touch it at all!

All in all, the frustration lies in the suspicion that we could have seen a better game of football if Allardyce and the players had reacted positively to the situation we found ourselves in - i.e. 1-0 up against 10 men - and changed the gameplan.

Then the supporters would have possibly enjoyed their evening's 'entertainment' a little more instead of feeling like that's another chore over and done with, which is how I felt at the end.

many people are saying we should give nzonzi a well deserved break, and a few have also complained about his performances lately. I can to some degree agree that he could deserve a break, but in fact we really need him in midfield. i tought he was really good again last night, he runs and covers a lot of the pitch, and wins a very large amount of balls. i think he is looking better and better from match to match. He almost never lose the ball, and is extremely difficult to play against in the air and does a lot of great tackles. also, looks far more stronger than he did when he came here in summer.

Bringing on Roberts to play alongside Kalinic was a direct response to Brown putting two strikers on again with Zaki and going 3 at the back. It was designed to force someone to help out their back 3 and therefore ease the pressure on the defence. As it worked out it forced Hunt to play as a left back frequently and took his pace away from attacking us.

Oh dear or dear or dear, what's going on here then. Mods please ban this chap from the board, he clearly knows far too much about football. With people like this around we are disenfranchising the moaning minnies on this thread. It's just not appropriate to discuss football thinking on the messageboard when clearly we should be discussing managerial personalities and/or our individual predilictions concerning hoofball.

Exactly my view O2G well said. People somehow seem to assume that Sam just pulls names out of a hat and gives random players a go at changing the game. As you point out he seems to think pretty deeply about the changes and this was a good example of that. He made the change, confused some of our brethern on here, and succeeded in achieving the correct ending - they don't score and we win.

Sam is a top bloke at confusing the heck out people - me included sometimes - but he knows what he's doing and is at least making consistent rational choices. I wish the nay sayers would just give it a rest for a while and look for something, anything, to take some enjoyment out of.

It knocks all the fun out of being a supporter being surround by doom and gloom merchants who boo and complain unendingly about everything from the strength of the tea to the choice of the bog paper.

For G*d's sake get behind us or get out of our way.

Following your team has never been about entertainment. You're starting to sound like a right 'Jessie'

I spend to much time with the Adlo crew :lol:

Thing is, despite attempts on here to bury head in sand, more and more people are switching off because of the way the team is setup. I’m not talking about the new fans, I’m talking about seasoned Blackburn Rovers fans of many years standing.

Last night was dire, lucky to get away with a draw, yet some on here make it sounds like we hammered Hull and they never got a kick.

I spend to much time with the Adlo crew :lol:

Thing is, despite attempts on here to bury head in sand, more and more people are switching off because of the way the team is setup. I’m not talking about the new fans, I’m talking about seasoned Blackburn Rovers fans of many years standing.

Last night was dire, lucky to get away with a draw, yet some on here make it sounds like we hammered Hull and they never got a kick.

we did hammer them gav, it was just pity we did not take our golden chances when they came to us. As for your point regarding the seasoned fans getting fed up and switching off, i think you are wrong 23000 plus on a wednesday cold night against Hull City, with a game on the telly is not that bad of attendence is it.

Anyway if you know any of your seasoned fans who are feeling this way, i think you might need to help them very quickly and just warn them that the main objective of Blackburn Rovers football club each season is to stay in the premier league anything more then that is a big plus! I rather us play unattractive football (as you call it every week) and win games, then play entertaing football and lose games.

In 50 plus years of watching BRFC not once have I set off for a game expecting or wanting to be entertained.

I go to support my team and I want my team to win. End of story.

:rover: could not be bothered even going to the pub to watch it last night,1 up front against ten men is a disgrace,but a win is a win :blink::brfc:

Diouf, MGP and Olsson all played up with Kalinic at times. I am really warming to the formation at home, it allows us to defend solidly whilst also giving support to the attacker, when the players can be bothered. They couldn't be bothered in the second half and it let us down. We could have done with another couple of goals to get our awful GD down.

Away from home Sam really needs to change his mindset and find something that works, because whatever he has been trying is 100% not working.

Archived