BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham Preview

Yes it was very dull. Roberts pulled off the Davies role and brought Diouf/Pedersen and Dunn into the game, which was the reason we won.

As for Birmingham, what a bunch of petulant sods. Ferguson being the chief culprit - if the FA were competent (they're not) he'd be facing a 4 match ban for that foul on Dunn. He did Andrews earlier too as retribution for Keith nobbling him.

And the cameras showed him telling the Blackburn bench to f off too. He's all class.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penalty not given for us. The consistency is 0.

There wasn't a murmur in the ground nor any recation from the players. Didn't see anyhting that looked like a penalty shout all game

Ferguson straight through Dunn and no card.

Carr and Fergusson both clattered Dunn inside perhaps 3 minutes. I'll be amazed if he plays Sunday. However Allardyce should have subbed him a good ten minutes earlier when he was already beginning to carry his right leg

Just watching Football First - great goal, but was the game really this dull?

Can't complain about the result, 4 points from 6 is a good return on those two games but tonight was awful to watch. Good start for ten minutes and I settled down for a good night's football.......sadly that was it. Poor performance with the midfield almost absent, apparently we had five in the middle.

I just watched Football First and even though I'm delighted with the result, I thought we were totally useless. But we are winning games at home, so it's hard to complain. It's just so bloody awful to watch, because it's such low percentage football that we play - hoof it or wing it into box, from a corner, free kick or throw in, hope that one of players may get on the end of it, or a scramble ensues, and someone manages to poke home a goal. From those highlights, I could honestly say there were 4 or 5 times at most that we actually linked up as attacking unit and created anything. But, I shouldn't complain because we are getting results and maintaining our Premiership future. As for Barry Ferguson, he's a sceptic bas***d. When he tackled Dunn near the end, you saw him on TV saying to him, 'Get the f**k up, you f**king fa**ot. Charming.

Went to game tonight, as has been said not great entertainment and more of a grinded out victory than a deserved one.

Two good goals by Dunny but didn't think he deserved MoTM, probably NZonzi for me, best performance I've seen from him.

Everyone seemed to do ok tonight just very few standout performances, although loved Salgado leading the chasing at the front at the end, who says he has lost his legs?? Also didn't think there was much hoofball just the ball up in the air a lot with the two teams playing head tennis!

Even though I hate Andrews with a passion he didn't do much wrong tonight, when he put the ball out of play in injury time no one else was free and rather him do that than try something fancy and fall on his arse, could have done with it being further down the line though. For the free kick I think if he'd have stayed where he was it would still have gone round him, Brown's error in my view, was expecting it over the wall and was left flat footed.

Thought Roberts worked hard when he came on and held up well, don't see how he wasn't given a free-kick/penalty just after their goal for a worse offence.

Hoillet played well when he came on but showed again how he gets excited with the effort that he skied.

Overall another efficient performance and 3 points. Can't ask for much more!

Clattenburg is an absolute disgrace of a referee. I really don't know how he sleeps at night.

My goodness, that Carr is an ugly, nasty blighter. I remember him doing one of his 'specials' on Gresko, who a few minutes later scored from distance with the ball bouncing off Carr's backside into the net. Justice.

I digress. Well, it was a win, so mustn't complain too much, not happy seeing our boys kicked and punched and stamped on all over the pitch at will though. Not happy at all.

I will not mention Keith. Really nice, friendly bloke, but ...

Bring on the Dingles.

Even though I hate Andrews with a passion he didn't do much wrong tonight, when he put the ball out of play in injury time no one else was free and rather him do that than try something fancy and fall on his arse, could have done with it being further down the line though. For the free kick I think if he'd have stayed where he was it would still have gone round him, Brown's error in my view, was expecting it over the wall and was left flat footed.

How on earth did you come to that conclusion? I am no Andrews hater but he was incredibly bad in the second half. Late tackles, misplaced passes and at fault for the goal.

One of the worst 45 mins I have seen from any of our players in recent years.

Dunn x2 - Against his old club - would love that...

PM me your numbers for the lottery. Please

That Salgado rampage at the end was wonderful.

But by god, what an awful game..................

How on earth did you come to that conclusion? I am no Andrews hater but he was incredibly bad in the second half. Late tackles, misplaced passes and at fault for the goal.

One of the worst 45 mins I have seen from any of our players in recent years.

Sorry I wrote it a bit wrong, I meant not much wrong for him. Don't think it was his worst performance by a long way tonight, seen him have much worst games.

Was impressed that the midfield actually pressed the opposition tonight, something we've lacked for a while

we are not great individuals, but Sam Allardyce have got the team playing together. Everyone is fighting for each other and chasing the ball if we lose it. What we lack in quality we compensate with effort. That how I like the game to be played. Still punching way above our weight and nice to see big club and in particular barry (Please don't use that word again)ingson getting squat from the game.

Bring on los dinglos!

Dodgy performance. Step back from 2nd half v Chelsea. Up in the air too much. I can't fathom just what BSF is trying to achieve tactically apart from being negative.

Brown. Like him but was is positioning poor for their goal. Rooted to the line?

Selgado. I think he is rubbish, him and Chorluka. Get noticed for his theatatrics rather than ability.

Ollson. Improving. His overlaps have provided goals and chances.

Jones. Next John Terry hopefully. Young though.

Samba. Possible MOM. Top class and an entertainer with those telescopic legs.

Pedersen. Changed player with free role. Covers more ground than other players. Put a shift in.

Diouf. Liability. Does not track back, little creativity. Builds his reputation atone theatrics and conning his way through games.

Dunn. Tiring but class.

NZonzi. Class above this team. Can't wait to see him next season.

Andrews. The opposite. The team are a class above Andrews. Awful tonight.

Kalinic. Much improved. Looking like a £4m striker, just £2m to go now.

Sub Roberts. Contractual bonus for free kicks gained. Klattenburg having none of it. Ball bounced of his shins endlessly. Useless but entertaining.

Hoilet the toilet. Blind alleys and no end product. Not a team player either.

Emerton. Workmanlike in his short cameo.

Keith clattered Wee Barry twice tonight (properly) and for that I'm grateful. However, his effectiveness is inversely proportional to how much he points. He pointed a lot tonight.

Awful to watch but we are digging out results at home.

As for Jones being labelled as the next John Terry. I'm sure his girlfriend is delighted...

That wasnt a clip, it was a cowards studs into his achilles with no intent to play the ball!! end of, should be banned for that, deliberate attempt to injure

Correct. Completely intentional... as was Carrs lunge at him 5 mins earlier. He got a yellow card but the jock embezzler got away scot free.

Correct. Completely intentional... as was Carrs lunge at him 5 mins earlier. He got a yellow card but the jock embezzler got away scot free.

Not sure Carr's was too bad, just a very tired full back and a lazy challenge! Ferguson's was definitely vicious though! C**T

Delighted with the result and Dunn's performance. A deserved MOTM - let's hope he's still got something left in the engine for Sunday.

Salgado has impressed me too, this last 2 games. He's recovered well from that nightmare against Spurs & I like his attitude & workrate.

Another solid display from Jones, who I think deserves to start against the Dingles. He's playing it sensible and safe and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that in a central defender.

Nzonzi has had a great first season & is another one who gives his all for the cause. He looks like he could do with developing his strength and there isnt a great deal of creativity to his passing but he is very good in the air and breaks it down well when needed.

Brown wasnt as impressive at the game as the Sky commentators seemed to think. Too many flaps and didnt organise his wall for the Brum goal. Get well soon, Robbo!

Roberts did the holding & lay-off role much better than Kalinic. A less stubborn manager would put them both on together but that's Sam for you.

All of which brings me to our dear old friend Keith Andrews. How this joke of a player continues to start games is beyond me. He runs like a fairy and is about as effective as one in our midfield. His role in the Brum goal, breaking off the wall & dodging out of the way of the ball, was unforgiveable. I am growing to despise everything about him and will crack open the champagne come the day we sell him. Absolutely anyone would be preferable to him. Even ten men.

We started very brightly (nice for a change) but once we took the lead thanks to Dunny we seemed to sit back and our passing went totally out of the window. Long aimless balls time after time were getting beyond annoying with Andrews and Pedersen being chief culprits of this hit forward and hope. Then you had Diouf who appears to be treding in quick sand every time he picks up the ball combined with Kalinic who for the second game running was never really in the game. Bar th eopenign stage sof the half, it was a very poor pefroamnce that being said Birmingham offered very little in an attackign sense, Brown did however pull one impressive save which was the only meaningful save he had to make all game.

Beginning of the second half wans't much better from Rovers. You could bring up the excuses of the fact we only played on Sunday and that the pitch wasn't in the greatest of states. Birmingham equalized which was probably fair on the balance of player, their only real quality player in McFadden putting away a free-kick, which looked a typical soft one awarded by Clattenberg.

However we did seem to pick up our game a little once it went 1-1 and Dunny glanced in a header from a Diouf corner. Thought we looked a much better side with the introduction of Roberts and Holiett which gives us some much needed pace in attacking sense. But undoubtley Man of the Match was Dunn, ran his socks off (maybe too much) and by the time he came to be replaced he could barely walk. Although that was partially down to two nasty challenge from Carr and Ferguson within a few minutes of each other. We better all say a little prayer and hope he's fit for the Dingles on Sunday because he's the only player with any sort of creativity in our team.

My Match Ratings:

Brown (5) - Didn't have much to do at all, could argue he should have been covering the side of the goal the free-kick went in. Didn't feel me with much confidence when coming for crossess, be glad when Robbo's back.

Salgado (8) - Seems to be getting better game on game, as long as he's not up against someone wiith extreme pace he's more than comfortable in defensive situations. He's also much better in possession of the ball than a lot of our players.

Jones (7) - Hardly noticed he was playing, I suppose that's a good sign in a defender he went about his job in a no nonsense style. Maybe got caught out of position a few times but nothing major, Big Sam has a big decision on whether or not to start him on Sunday now.

Samba (7) - Very good performance from the big man, didn't put a foot wrong all game and put in few crucials blocks and challenges.

Olsson (7) - As with all of our back four, looked comfortable all game. Didn't see him burst forward quite as much but maybe that was more a tactical move with us being ahead.

Diouf (4) - Gave the ball away on a couple of occassions, still takes far to long on the ball for my liking but he produce a decent cross every now and again, Took the corner which led to the seocnd goal.

Andrews (4.5) - Can't question his commitment, he went through some work today although his distrubtion is still poor on the whole and partly the reaosn we find it so difficult to retain possession. He gets the extra 0.5 for the sly stamp on Bowyer and the "cruching tackle" on Ferguson.

Nzonzi (5) - Another poor game from him I thought, he again was sloppy in possession and I'd still like to see him bring the ball forward instead of immediately looking for a pass all the time.

Pedersen (5) - Barely involved in the game and was another responsible for keep playing aimless long balls forward all the time.

Dunn (9) - Superb performance from Dunny, seemed the only one intent on pressing the play and closing down. Hopefully he's not injured too badly.

Kalinic (5) - Didn't find much change out of the Bimringham defense which contains the two old-fashioned centrebacks who dominate din the air.

===========================================================================

Roberts (6) - An improvement on Kalinic as he was able to hold up the ball much better. Got fouled on numerous occassions but failed to win any free-kicks from them.

Hoilett (6) - Was very bright when he came on, did more with the ball in five minutes than Diouf did all game. Shame he lacks any sort of composure in front of goal because he does have the ability to take players on. He needs to be starting more games for experience in my opinion because he's got the potential to be a very good player for us.

Overall Rovers never really left second gear but stilll managed to come on top. Moment of the match for me was Salgado's Robbie Savage impression during injury time in reaction in contrast to his teammates sitting back and inviting pressure method of play. :D

Birmingham were excellent tonight and certainly deserved something from the game. They played as a tight unit and pressurised us all over the park but especially 'high up' the pitch. We weren't allowed to settle on the ball and thats why we were forced to resort to 'hoofball'. Credit to Brum rather than any intention by ourselves.

All credit to McLeish who has done a great job with them by injecting professionalism, desire and energy as the league table is reflecting. BUT just like any succesful team when things are going against them they have learned to pressurise the officials and kick opponents. Clattenburg gave a soft free kick from which their goal materialised imo largely cos of the haranguing that he had just received from the Brum players (lead mostly by the wee sweaty swindler.).

I agree 100% TCO, Hollow & Graham - NZonzi was superb tonight....

-For me MOTM by a mile was NZonzi, superb tonight.

Two good goals by Dunny but didn't think he deserved MoTM, probably NZonzi for me, best performance I've seen from him.

NZonzi. Class above this team. Can't wait to see him next season.

My Match Ratings:

Nzonzi (5) - Another poor game from him I thought, he again was sloppy in possession and I'd still like to see him bring the ball forward instead of immediately looking for a pass all the time.

:blink: Where did you watch the game?! :blink::unsure:

:blink: Where did you watch the game?! :blink::unsure:

....From the BBE

I personally think Nzonzi's performance have tailed off a bit in recent weeks. He gave the ball quite a lot tonight especially in the first half and he's really the one that's suppose to be getting the ball down and helping us retain posssession. That never really happened as Bimringham had a lot of the ball. Second half I'll add he was much improved but I wouldn't go as far to say he was outstanding. Thought our midfield was poor tonight and the game bypassed our midfield for a lot of the game, although to be fair the nature of the game didn't lead itself to great midfield play.

I don't doubt that he's been a very good player for us this season (one of the best probably) but I still feel there's a big scope for improvement, mostly notably in his tackling and dribbling.

Tbh Grizfoot makes a point, he does give the ball away too much imo, i dont think hes as good as everyone thinks yet. However i think 4/10 for Diouf is harsh, one of our only players that can make something happen

Maybe a tad harsh but corners aside he did very little of note. He seems to be more notable for the way he slows down attacks, fails to defend properly at times and fall over to easily. Frustrating in the extreme because when he gets in good areas he is capable of creating good openings for us.

Archived