BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Versus Arsenal - The Final Home Match Of 2009/2010

Wenger, a classic whinge.

Next season we should have a seasons topic on his best.

"When you stop the keeper from getting the ball it is a foul.

"The referee cannot allow that. They had two players in front of him all the time, whose only purpose was to stop him getting the ball.

"It's completely unfair. I am very disappointed the referee let that happen."

Unfair :lol::lol::lol: put your dummy back in and dry your eyes.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... just a team oh highly talented cheats.

Spot on Paul, well said.

Just a shame when you see the ability in that team and their confidence on the ball, yet on the few occasions that we turned one of their players we got hauled down or chopped down. How ironic that Wenger complains about out style of play - when we play attractive skillful stuff they cheat us out of the advantage - we go longer ball and they complain it's not proper football. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it.

I enjoyed this game greatly. A fabulous way to end the season, which for me should end right now. If it did then it would be the perfect season especially when you see where we've come from. Top 10, holding our own against the 'big 4', good young players joining the club (who are already attracting the interest of the big spenders). Sam's bedded the backroom staff in and the scouting network is up and running. Dunny's interview on Radio Rovers said that all the players 'loved' him and believed in what he was doing. Amazing especially reading some of the tripe on here, shurely some mishtake?

Really hope we don't go out with a whimper against Villa, the prize money for 10th the place would be very useful. Judging from the comments from the players after the match Sam wants 50 points and I think they're up for it. Think I'll go. Happy days :rover: I'm going to love slagging the City boys at work this morning :rover::lol::lol::rover:

Superb victory against a good Arsenal side. I think we played football for most of the game and very much showed the wider public that IS what we do rather than the stigma of long (hoof) ball all of the time.

Really enjoyed putting one over Wenger, he is a proper moaning git and has no right what so ever to complain about either of the goals. I had talksport on the radio while driving back to Southport, and a few Gooners called in saying it's time for 'The Professor' to bugger off. His persistence with the pretty game is admirable and is great to watch, but you need a Plan B which Arsenal don't have - and when they tried to play it long in the last few minutes, didn't have the options on the pitch to make it work.

Great way to round off a terrific season, and every Rovers fan should be proud of what we have achieved. A top half finish seeming likely, and a semi in a major cup competition is a fantastic achievement, as well as two victories against our major rivals. Our form since Xmas has been superb at home, and no team is going to fancy getting the points at Ewood next season. I genuinely believe now that we have a good squad, and more often than not have a very strong bench including players that could easily be starting. A couple more quality additions in the summer could see us push for a European place, and hopefully allow us to pick up more points away from home.

I hope Pedersen and Andrews stay. Andrews may be a bit poo, but he is very versatile, and every club needs a utility man! Pedersen, merely for the fact that we don't really have the money to replace him in the short term.

Zurab & Reid will definitely leave, and with Reid reputed to be on a big contract, will hopefully allow us to sign an exciting, young player (hopefully English).

Well done Sam, and here's to another great season down at Ewood Park! :D:tu::rover::)

I think Whenger is one of the best managers in football but if I was his Chairman I'd instruct him to stay away from the cameras and microphones. He does himself no favours whatsoever and just comes across as immature and a rank bad loser.

Agreed, it is sad to see a man with a touch of genius stoop to to such histronic levels. Used to have a lot of class about him when he was first at Arsenal. Evaporated now.

If he spent less time moaning and more time trying to develop a team with greater physicality and organisation to combine with the skill then maybe he would have won a trophy in the last four years.

Brilliant Rovers won. Devastated I missed the game. I don't suppose anyone knows where I could find extended highlights do they? All I have got is a two minute quick overview :(

How did Hoilett do? Interesting that he was preferred as sub to Diouf or Emerton.

Nice job Paul ...

Apologies if this has been covered ... anyone know why Samba had the captain's armband?

I guess because Nelsen is no longer considered a first choice player. Beginning of the end for Ryan?

I cant for the life of me understand Wengers whinging….watching the game here in Germany I was becoming more and more frustrated that 1st half due to Refs over protection of goalkeepers.. He blew for fouls against Fabianski on at least 3 occasions when their had been no contact what so ever… One foul against us when Campbell impeded Fabianski backing into him.

Laughed at the two sleeping fans who’d obviously made the most of bank holiday and been on it since noon.

Good effort the 10 or so Blue and White Smurfs in the Darwen End. :lol:

Wenger is a ____. I know some will disagree with me, but he is not an awesome manager. How long has it been pointed out that they need a good keeper, a battling, dynamic midfielder to replace Vieria, and a proper, goal scoring striker? He's won nowt because his team plays one way, and he only signs twinkle toes cry babies who, like him, cheat, foul and dive whenever they're breathed on. Ferguson, Mourinho, Capello and possibly Guardiola are great managers. Wenger is good, but nowhere near as good as these.

As for his point about goalies and the ref-they get enough protection, and if you have someone standing in your way, then save it off the line like Friedel.

Great result though. Wonder if Waggy saw it.

Arsenal are as dirty as anyone - they just do it very cleverly - little body nudges, elbows etc that are hard to spot. Wenger's a complete hypocrite.

Exactly what I said to my husband. Our lads get booked for honest, clumsy tackles. They are upfront in their fouling. Arsenal and one or two other top teams are adept at the sneaky foul where the ref can't see, the little nudge, the sneaky shirt pull etc and so they get away with things a lot more. Even so how Sylvestre stayed on the pitch I do not know. He was fouling persistently and was lucky only to get the one yellow.

I think Whenger is one of the best managers in football but if I was his Chairman I'd instruct him to stay away from the cameras and microphones. He does himself no favours whatsoever and just comes across as immature and a rank bad loser.

I am certain from next season all the managers have to give interviews after the game. I read some ware that Fergie wil have to give interviews to the BBC next season. By the way anyone see big Sam’s interview on Sky last night? he couldn’t stop laughing when he was asked about Whenger’s comments.

Highlights... Arsene Wenger needs to watch these highlights before he comes out with comments about blocking the keeper etc. He was no where near getting the ball for Samba's header and Andrews 'miss-hit shot' was, indeed, a strongly hit cross and not a shot. Andrews was a fault for the first goal but definitely made up for it later but so was Givet, probably more so.

I'm still in shock, can't believe we managed to get more than a point from this game!

Bryan, could have done with your help mate! I was in the Kings Head, Samba scores only for me to start shouting and then quickly realise the number of Arsenal fans that turned round :rover:

Wenger is a ____. I know some will disagree with me, but he is not an awesome manager. How long has it been pointed out that they need a good keeper, a battling, dynamic midfielder to replace Vieria, and a proper, goal scoring striker? He's won nowt because his team plays one way, and he only signs twinkle toes cry babies who, like him, cheat, foul and dive whenever they're breathed on. Ferguson, Mourinho, Capello and possibly Guardiola are great managers. Wenger is good, but nowhere near as good as these.

As for his point about goalies and the ref-they get enough protection, and if you have someone standing in your way, then save it off the line like Friedel.

Great result though. Wonder if Waggy saw it.

Waggy's probably moping in his beer. His ilk tend to disappear from the Board when we have a good win.

Excellent win. I hate Arsenal, i hate Wenger and i hate their fans so getting one over them is great.

Overall the performance wasn't great and in the the first half it was dire and turgid. Long ball after long ball going from back to front and no real threat. Second half with 35 mins to go was better, more ball played onto the ground and added pace with Hoilett on the pitch and Olsson starting to run with the ball more.

Happy with the three points but still some work to do in the summer.

I'm still in shock, can't believe we managed to get more than a point from this game!

Bryan, could have done with your help mate! I was in the Kings Head, Samba scores only for me to start shouting and then quickly realise the number of Arsenal fans that turned round :rover:

Sorry mate, on the wagon at the minute!

Those who criticise Sam do magically dissappear on days like these dont they? The 'Sam-Lovers' seem to come on to defend him during the good games and bad games but the sam haters only come out of the woodwork on a bad day. Pity. Not surprising though.

Givet was my MOM yesterday. Walcott was made to look useless. Which if we're being honest isnt far off from what he is anyway.

Those who criticise Sam do magically dissappear on days like these dont they? The 'Sam-Lovers' seem to come on to defend him during the good games and bad games but the sam haters only come out of the woodwork on a bad day. Pity. Not surprising though.

People like a good moan when their team loses, it's as simple as that. When we win, they can stomach the style of football a bit better. It doesn't mean that they have changed their view on the style of play.

People who are anti-Sam take a carpeting on here when we lose anyway, so they're hardly going to repeat their views when we win, are they?

Why do people have to be so bitchy in this bloody-minded way, it really grinds me down.

So what kind of money can we hope to rake in from finishing in 10th? That is of course that other results go our way.

I think its 750k per place above where we budgeted which is, I think, 13th.

So around 2million extra for transfer/wages is a possibility.

First of all I'd like to I add what stupid time to kick-off, 5pm on a Bank Holiday Monday! Felt like I'd been waiting for an age with all the other games already played. Although the game itself more than made up for the silly kick-off time.

Thought we started the game a little slow but despite this Arsenal never really looked threatening the only way they where going to score was from a free-kick, free kicks that the referee felt obiliged to give every time a gust of wind happened to knock one of the Arsenal players to the ground. In open play Arsenal created very little throughout the match, passing it sidewards and getting nowhere is not beautiful football in my opinion and there reluctance to play it wide and put crosses in was staggerring. They'd rather try and play their where through the centre which was packed with our players. That being said we defended very well for large parts of the game and it's not very often Arsenal get so few chances in a game.

Once that despicable little ratboy Van Persie got his inevitable goal. Rovers seemed to pick it up a little and from there on in looked the most likely going forward. I was a bit concerned at kick-off when it was announced that our player of the season Nzonzi was missing in midfield. But we won the midfield battle in my opinion and that played a big part in us winning the game. I've critised Andrews in the past, who hasn't. But today after the first half an hour Julie but in one of his best performances in a Rovers shirt. He seemed more willing to close down and put tackles in than usual and even won the ball back and set up an attack that could have resulted in a goal had him and Dunn communicated better. He was also playing some good passes and credit's where it's due I thought he was one of our best performers today. I thought Pedersen had a decent enough game as well, once Grella was subbed and Pedersen moved to the centre we looked a much improved unit. A central midfield pairing of Andrews and Pedersen would be enough to make any Rovers fan cringe but against the lightweight Arsenal side it worked very well indeed. Funnily enough we where well on top and then Dunn came off for Jones and we went 5-4-1, bit of a strange move as we never really looked in a danger of conceding but I suppose it was just to try and ensure we didn't concede or maybe a little test for next year's formation (only kidding!).

Roberts did a brilliant job at holding up the ball I thought, whilst not getting in many dangerous areas himself it allowed runners from midfield to explopit the area down the centre as Roberts had one of the centrebacks occupied. Both Pedersen (fluffed his chance) and Olsson (offside) very nearly scored in this fashion. Got to be a direct ploy by Big Sam, Arsenal's centrebacks are slow by Premiership standards and attacking down the centre caused them some problems. But our biggest threat was always from set-pieces and I can see why they've dubbed their keeper "Flapinaski". Rovers delibrately played set-peices a little deeper than normal and the keeper tries coming for absolutley everything, no matter how many players are infront of him. Thought both our goals were perfectly fair, the first the keeper is coming through a big group of players and decide to dive on the floor that's his decision and our players have every right to stand their ground and attack the ball. The second Flapinaski got no where near the ball and Samba rose high to nod it in. If only every goalkeeper was like Flapinaski it would be us and Stoke challenging for the Premier Legaue title next season.

Wenger can moan all he wants but maybe he should buy a decent keeper if he doesn't want to concede goals like that. Goals aside Wenger got tactically outclassed by Big Sam and his team got outbattled and outplayed by little ol' Blackburn. Ouch that must hurt. :lol:

Excellent win. I hate Arsenal, i hate Wenger and i hate their fans so getting one over them is great.

Overall the performance wasn't great and in the the first half it was dire and turgid. Long ball after long ball going from back to front and no real threat. Second half with 35 mins to go was better, more ball played onto the ground and added pace with Hoilett on the pitch and Olsson starting to run with the ball more.

Happy with the three points but still some work to do in the summer.

Spot on. The first 60 mins was one of the worst spectacles of the season - just one-dimensional hoofball.

Once Grella went off and Hoilett came on we seemed to get the ball down, push forward, try to play down the wings more and get crosses over rather than lumping it in from every angle.

As you say, work to do and a lot will depend on who we sign in summer. Some creativity is an absolute must though.

Archived