BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Versus Arsenal - The Final Home Match Of 2009/2010

I purposefully declined to call this game ahead of time, as I am frequently wrong and didn't want to jinx the result. My self-restraint paid off. :D

Van Persie to score first and Rovers win 2-1,i did it beginning of the season with the villa home game with Agbonlahor (sp) to score first and it netted me a nice wedge! :tu:

EDIT:70/1 on skybet so,it should be worth a couple of quid!

They should fire Lawro and give you his job.

They have shown them a few times on ESPN. One too many in the Postal Order I think :brfc:

The only time I was in Blackburn I had lunch and a few beers at the Postal Order. Very much enjoyed it.

All deserved this half so far. We've looked good with a bit more pace on the pitch. We've upped the tempo and look dangerous on the break.

We are a fairly schizophrenic side. I wonder is this is planned or merely the players being slow to warm up, or once they do well turning off the motivation switch?

I would agree with that. More of a good team performance for me rather than any great individual performances.

The best kind. I"d rather watch a team than 1 superstar and his 10 supporting cast members.

Great result lads. Massive credit to Sam for the home form this year. Really, really good job.

Sam and the boys have been brilliant at home. Next year, if we can maintain that and improve our away game even a small bit, we'll be looking at Europe.

Which is not necessarily a good thing.

Rovers victory on Monday, Labour triumph Thursday: it's going to be a marvellous week.

You got one wish with the Rovers win. I think you're pushing it with the second.

Going off the current table and the remaining fixtures, I reckon that as long as Fulham don't beat Stoke and if we get a draw at Villa, then that should be enough to seal a top half finish.

10th: Blackburn - 47 points

11th: Fulham - 46 points

12th: Sunderland - 44 points

13th: Stoke - 44 points

Fulham vs Stoke, a draw leave us at 47 and 11th, with Fulham ahead of us at 10th on goal difference, a Fulham win would result in the same league position but we'll need win at Villa to have any chance of re-taking 10th

Arsenal vs Fulham, Arsenal should win this, which means whether we move up or not will be a matter for us to decide.

Villa vs Blackburn, we can take Villa, which will put us at a solid 50 points. Even a draw would get us to 48 and 10th, if Fulham and Stoke draw and then both lose

Man U vs Stoke, ManU will have a huge incentive to win this, with the title race being on.

Wolves vs Sunderland, a Sunderland win would require us to beat Villa, to hold 10th.

Regardless, we've pretty good odds of both Arsenal (who should be hot after today's loss) beating Fulham and ManU beating Stoke. For anlaysis' sake, I'm treating these losses as certainties. If that's correct, then we can hold 10th if Fulham v. Stoke ends in a draw (or Stoke wins) and we either draw or win against Villa. The same holds true if Sunderland wins or draws against Wolves. We only have to beat Villa to hold 10th if Fulham beats Stoke.

So a point this weekend is a must to have a reasonable change of finishing top half. Which wouldn't have been possibile except we beat Arsenal today. :rover:

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You clearly saw a different game to the one I've just come back from - Pedersen was arguably man of the match for me.

I admit I only watched it on TV but I didn't see him complete a pass or look in any way interested. He was constantly caught on the ball and lazily gifted Arsenal possession on a number of occasions. His first goal chance was slightly tricky but he absolutely should have scored the second chance. It's years since he was of any real use and I simply can't wait to get rid. Andrews looked like Iniesta by comparison.

• Backroom

Can someone please check on RIML, I think she might have had a big fright when Nelsen went head first into the tunnel, diving bugger.

Wenger was close to falling as well.

To be honest, i wouldnt have said anything if Pedersen got the red one on his tackle on Van Persie. :unsure:

I would have! Hardly a straight red was it?

We are so much better when we knock it around a bit. I also wonder how long we are going to keep getting away with crowding the keeper like that from corners.

Forever I'd imagine. Crowding a keeper is a tactic and not a punishable offence. Only fouling one is.

You regret that now?

Bang goes BRFC 1995's credibility. :rover:

Probably the first game this season where Andrews hasn't had many, if any, negative feedback.

He's either winning you lot over or you're scared he's going to squirt you :lol:

Ok then, one reasonable good game in thirty seven odd games dose not make a decent player.

Fantastic result! Our football was utterly dreadful for the vast majority of the game and Pedersen in particular was as bad as I've seen him in recent games but we sensed that Arsenal were there for the taking and man-handled them accordingly. They really are a soft-centred outfit and as soon as we went ahead the wind was gone from their sails. They never looked like getting back into it.

You clearly saw a different game to the one I've just come back from - Pedersen was arguably man of the match for me.

Yet again illustrating the difference between watching on TV and actually being there.

Much better second half from Rovers when we started to play some football on the ground,a few more quality additions to this squad and we may be able to cause a stirr in the UEFA places once more next season!

Great atmosphere at the end and yes,you have fully won me over big Sam Allardyce....just get those season tickets bought folks and support the clubs/manager/team efforts.

P.S.

Having seen his interview on ESPN,my mind is now totally at peace with the fact that you are the biggest and most ungracious losing manager in the Prem by a country mile Wenger....I utterly despise the shytehouse! :angry:

Can someone please check on RIML, I think she might have had a big fright when Nelsen went head first into the tunnel, diving bugger.

Wenger was close to falling as well.

:lol: They showed it on ESPN apparently, can't wait to see the replay.

Can someone explain to me what the two guys in BBE were doing, they had their heads in their laps demonstratively? They were sitting like that for most parts of the first half.. Got a lot of TV coverage, undeservedly so.. if this was a protest, it must be the smallest protest ever - pretty ridiculous.

Oh, and did we win? Great 2nd half - we even played football. Samba, Dunn, Roberts were immense, and Givet did great to strangle Walcott down that right side. We fought, and they weren't up for it. In spite of his missed chances, Gamst Pedersen played well in my opinion - as for his tackle, it was poor but not malicious - no where near a red card.

Can someone explain to me what the two guys in BBE were doing, they had their heads in their laps demonstratively? They were sitting like that for most parts of the first half.. Got a lot of TV coverage, undeservedly so.. if this was a protest, it must be the smallest protest ever - pretty ridiculous.

Oh, and did we win? Great 2nd half - we even played football. Samba, Dunn, Roberts were immense, and Givet did great to strangle Walcott down that right side. We fought, and they weren't up for it. In spite of his missed chances, Gamst Pedersen played well in my opinion - as for his tackle, it was poor but not malicious - no where near a red card.

They were sleeping :D

I thought Pederson played well, he was getting in some great positions and really getting under there skin, his tackle was a bit reckless on Van Persie but so was Campbells on Pederson (on the half way line), defo penalty as well on Pederson!

Great result, even better to see Wenger chucking his toys out of the pram, the bloke needs to realise his team can't fight, Silvestre was lucky to not get another yellow card for his foul on the edge of the box, but let's not complain we beat them southern softies!!

• Backroom

The ref's main problem was his consistensy, Diaby got away with a cynical foul on the edge of the area when Dunn was away but a bit later he booked Grella for similar but further out.

And how about him pointing for a corner when the ball wasnt even off the pitch?

I admit I only watched it on TV but I didn't see him complete a pass or look in any way interested. He was constantly caught on the ball and lazily gifted Arsenal possession on a number of occasions. His first goal chance was slightly tricky but he absolutely should have scored the second chance. It's years since he was of any real use and I simply can't wait to get rid. Andrews looked like Iniesta by comparison.

I'm with you on this one. What about the incident near the end when Sol Campbell ploughed right through him ! Ok he slipped on the pile of ###### he'd just dropped !

Brilliant result. Well played Rovers.

Rovers victory on Monday, Labour triumph Thursday: it's going to be a marvellous week.

If only Jim , If only. Our day will come.

Brilliant result. Well played Rovers.

Thankfully, we haven't got Ince any more but Labour have the equivalent leading them so no real chance I'm afraid.

Arsenal are as dirty as anyone - they just do it very cleverly - little body nudges, elbows etc that are hard to spot. Wenger's a complete hypocrite. We had a goal disallowed and a nailed on penalty turned down yet we still won. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy <_<

The one and only bitter and ungracious.....baby Wenger

Fantastic to read Wenger's comments. So much better than his patronising of us before the match.

In fact that's really made the evening for me. Cheers Arsene. You bitter, bitter man! :lol:

Sam's was being pretty profound, wasn't he:

"If you expose the opposition's weaknesses enough then in the end those weaknesses will be exposed," he said. :huh::lol:

:tu:

I wish we could play toothless teams like today's Arsenal every week. The bully boys are back! :lol:

I'm with you on this one. What about the incident near the end when Sol Campbell ploughed right through him ! Ok he slipped on the pile of ###### he'd just dropped !

If only Jim , If only. Our day will come.

Our day? You've had 13 years!

Anyway, superb result today, we continue to hold our own in a league of financial giants.

And we all know what Wenger will say, "they tried to kick us out of the game, they tried to maim my players, the referee should give Arsenal more protection, Blackburn should not be allowed to tackle or go near my players, etc, etc,

Sorry, forgot to add " Blackburn players stand in the wrong position at corners."

The final home game of the season see Rovers continue their run of not losing this game in recent seasons, and this being against one of the big guns. To listen to Arsehole Whinger after the game just made me laugh, almost as much as watching RVP slink off the pitch having refused to shake the hand of The Admiral.

Sam once more showed he can get some things right by getting right up the Frogs nose with yet another fine result against the best footballing side in the Premiership.

Looking at the game, the first half should have been over in the 3rd minute when Arsenal missed a complete sitter from 3 yards out with the goal gaping. When they did score, they actually scored from a corner kick, who would have thought eh ? Arsenal scoring from a flicked header from a set piece. As the frist half went on, you sensed it was only a matter of time before they took the game by the scruff of the neck, nice triangular patterns, short pass and move football with pace was very pretty however, despite not being totally overrun Rovers coped well. The back 4 stood their ground and repelled Arsenals attacks however, the space in the centre was there for even the likes of Campbell to make foraging runs into as Rovers central midfield appeared non existant.

It is at this point we will introduce the KA negative points. Alongside Grella, the space they left in the centre was criminal. Far too often they were miles apart. KA is a ball watcher and this is another reason why he just runs around aimless, pointing his fingers and looking like he knows somwthing about football. Grella himself was at time too slow to think about what he was doing. Together and far too often they let Arsenal through the middle and left the back 4 exposed. Despite this as we reached the 44th minute, Rovers were hanging on to a 1-0 deficit until we got a corner kick.

Yet another set piece saw Rovers send the ball across the area, a KA mis hit shot saw a touch from JR and then Dunny smacked the ball home making it 1-1 and a different team talk at half time.

The first half negatives, Robinsons indecisivness, the lack of midfield control and no support or supply to JR who foraged alone. The efforts of MGP, Olssen, Dunny and JR were good, the defence had coped although my motm for the first 45 was easily Givet.

As the seconde half began I contemplated a potential win for Rovers and looked at how we could get it. The same line up didnt give me the confidence to slap a bet on it. The first 15 minutes of the half continued with Arsenal dominating however you sensed Rovers were up for it. A very very close off-side call ruled out a fine finish from ollsen whilst I do think the referee missed a penalty call for Rovers when MGP was about to score our second goal, I couldnt be too sure whether the ball had actually gone out before he was thrown to the ground. Rovers were rallying and a couple of substituions put impetus into the side. Junior raised hope of a shock result with a turn of speed and shot that was tipped over however it wasnt too long before the keeper waqs to find himself beaten again.

Another corner saw Samba notch into the roof of the net from 2 yards out. 2-1 Rovers game most definately on.

You could sense the Arsenals fans disbelief that once more, a northern team was seeing off the football purists from North London. How dare we eh ? As they came forward Rovers counter attacked at will, there was some great football from Rovers. Even KA joined it with some tackles, a header and even a pass or two. Dont let this fool you, he is still way below the standard required but at least he got involved a bit more today. Rovers managed to hold out and then even went 5 at the back when young Jones was introduced.

As the final whistle sounded, the curtain descended on Ewood's last home game of what has to be a very successful season. Only an away game at Villa remains before we set sail for what England and its fans will hope is a successful World Cup.

We end the home games with a win against Arsenal and a typical rebuke from a French coward. Why cant AW just say well done to an opposition team led by SA ?

We now await the outcome of Fulham v Stoke as we strive for a top 10 finish. For me, the best we can hope for is 11th. I want Fulham to draw as I dont see Stoke getting anything other than a kicking at manure so that would mean we finish above them. Two spots further up the league goves Sa another £1.5m to the transfer pot and who knows, with some deadwood moving on the pot might just grow a little bigger.

Some will be amazed at MGP today, he showed what he can bring to the game. I hope he signs his deal this week.

Out have to go the following, Andrews, Zurab, Brown, EHD, Reid, Judge, Chimbonda.

I aint doing ratings this week. I am just so happy we beat the gooners who faced an horrendous journey back to their southern slums of smog ridden London. Their fans are normally very decent types who enjoy a day out with the opposition, today we saw what an arrogant bunch of to$$ers they can be.

Finally, as we sign off from home games, I had my party last night, you know, the one we were shouting about NOW Burnley are down.

When is everyones elses ?

Sorry, forgot to add " Blackburn players stand in the wrong position at corners."

Wrong, Rovers players are in the positions they are instructed to be at corners, hence the goal!!

And most dont stand, they make movement, where do you get that information from?

Archived