BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Williams & Co

Well I hope that you see that you seem to have no middle ground either in this discussion Gav, you seem to be very much subscribing to black or white. I think that I am in a kind of grey area with this. I respect Mr. Williams and appreciate his sterling work for us but, I see that he has made errors.

Ince was beyond a disaster and whilst he may not take ALL of the blame for it – a pretty portion should be sent his way. Zurab could have been kept for less I am sure and if not then he should have been allowed to leave instead of us acting like social services whilst he plies his trade at another club. There are plenty more average central defenders out there that would jump at the chance.

I am glad that you hold him in such high regard, I really do, and it says much about how good a job he does normally. Even the divine errs sometimes though, just ask Judas.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While signing wise we have been poor it still looks like Mame is a better bet than Di Santo - 4 goals already is a very good return.

Only significant loss is McCarthy who we actually had a better season without after Jan last year. Otherwise we have a lot of unknowns to say whether we are better or not than 2009/2010. Benjani impact is up in the air, development of the young players (Kalinic, Jones, N'Zonzi, Olsson, Hoilett, Linganzi) needs to be seen - this is absolutely crucial for us, and broadly speaking they have not looked too great yet. Dunn and Grella's fitness is also a big question.

So we could end up being broadly the same or improve significantly depending on those player's performance, particularly the young ones. We are in a risky position because so much is freighted on the unknown.

That said our showings have so far been good, and we have had an unexpected boost in Pedersen and EHD showing a level of performance far above what we expected. Can they maintain it?

Broadly speaking happier about our playing staff at the moment than the start of the last two seasons as we have a lot of exciting young players who can hopefully improve and our key experienced ones - Ped, EHD, Samba, Nelsen, Givet, Robinson, Salgado - are performing well. We need to finish our chances though which is the massive worry. If we had one top striker things would be looking rosy.

So not all doom and gloom.

Joey I completely agree that our team isn't any worse off, if anything with the potential our youngsters have we will be better off.

My point is that other teams have significantly strengthened. We will do very well to finish above Fulham, Stoke, Brum, Sunderland etc if we do not buy in January. I'm not saying it's impossible, just likely given their spending power. Signings like Dembele, Gyan, Hleb and Jones are the kind of one's we'd no doubt be in for if we had the resources.

Certainly not all doom and gloom, and it's not like we're playing badly at all. Just think 12th-14th or thereabouts is more realistic given other PL teams spending.

Well I hope that you see that you seem to have no middle ground either in this discussion Gav, you seem to be very much subscribing to black or white.

I have no middle ground on this thread because John Williams is doing a fantastic job, but on the site in general I have plenty, which is what I was refering to.

Further good news for Mr williams and the club in general is provided today in the Times with the publication of the first Financial Fair Play Index.With Uefa very keen next season on fairness in how clubs spend in relation to their income the Times has decided this season to publish a league table each month showing how well a club is doing in relation to its spending, wages and points earned. Bolton are top of the first table with Rovers in 12th but in a review of how last season`s table would have looked Rovers were second in the table just behind Everton.With Big Sam getting praise from Mr Barclay!

The article is here http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article2712224.ece

I thought Bolton were carrying a big debt..... somewhere north of 50m. :huh:

Some searingly tough questions by Scoop Cryer for Chairman John, I don't think. First question: A lot of the good work carried out by the club this summer seems to have been ignored. Are you happy with what has been done this summer?, after which they got easier!

The strikers bit of the interview is, I think, misleading. Reading it, you would have no idea that Roberts had been frozen out of the picture.

He also confirmed inadvertently that Pedersen did indeed get a pay rise this summer.

Some searingly tough questions by Scoop Cryer for Chairman John, I don't think. First question: A lot of the good work carried out by the club this summer seems to have been ignored. Are you happy with what has been done this summer?, after which they got easier!

The strikers bit of the interview is, I think, misleading. Reading it, you would have no idea that Roberts had been frozen out of the picture.

He also confirmed inadvertently that Pedersen did indeed get a pay rise this summer.

Some people are never, ever happy. Here your club chairman has spoken openly and honestly to the local paper. I would say most people's questions have been answered - whether or not you agree with the answers is up to you - what more do you want. JW clearly reads message boards, as seen by one his answers, and he must wonder why he bothers.

Some people are never, ever happy. Here your club chairman has spoken openly and honestly to the local paper. I would say most people's questions have been answered - whether or not you agree with the answers is up to you - what more do you want. JW clearly reads message boards, as seen by one his answers, and he must wonder why he bothers.

Totally agree with you Ewoodite!

We're lucky to have a chairman who we can trust. There are so many fans out there around the UK, actually the World, who would love to have a chairman like ours.

Just to reiterate something I posted in the England thread:

John Williams -

"Four strikers are needed. We covered our position with Ivelin Popov ready to come to Rovers. His club knew the deal was dependent on Jason leaving but in the end no bid came."

So the Popov deal did not break down because of work permit problems, as we initially thought, but because we couldn't shift Roberts? What on earth happened to the £2.25m put aside for a striker?

But wait, apparently, Benjani is our replacement for Benni:

"So going back to our overall plan to replace Benni and Franco, we’ve done it. It’s Mame for Franco and Benji for Benni."

Oh dear, oh dear...

Also, for anyone who thinks we didn't sign Popov due to the takeover talks:

"People have asked if the possible takeover of the club has affected our thinking. No, not really, we can only operate within current finances."

• Backroom

The missing money for me is baffling and in other circumstances almost unforgivable but JW has done a lot for this club and deserves credit for that, I'm sure it's not down to him solely.

The ever changing excuses and reasoning on the money front are certainly frustrating for the fans though, to not spend a penny this window whilst shaving some money off the wage bill would have been unthinkable at the start of the window.

So why didn't we sign Popov 1st and then keep Benjani hanging on in case Roberts was sold?

Also, can we assume that the money that was set aside for Popov + the wages saved on all the deadline day departures will be available come January?

Great hard hitting journalism by Andy Cryer today though - made Paxman look like Richard Madeley.

So why didn't we sign Popov 1st and then keep Benjani hanging on in case Roberts was sold?

Also, can we assume that the money that was set aside for Popov + the wages saved on all the deadline day departures will be available come January?

Great hard hitting journalism by Andy Cryer today though - made Paxman look like Richard Madeley.

So you didn't bother to read JWs answers then? Sounds about right. If you had you would have seen Rovers felt Popov's value was too high as he was one for the future. Benjani went through all the tests and they felt he was a better option.Disagree with it if you like but surely read it first.........

Hmmm...

Signing a striker for £1.25m + a decent wage, OR signing a freebie on a year contract? I wonder which appealed to the board more?

So you didn't bother to read JWs answers then? Sounds about right. If you had you would have seen Rovers felt Popov's value was too high as he was one for the future. Benjani went through all the tests and they felt he was a better option.Disagree with it if you like but surely read it first.........

I have read Mr. Williams statements and I can still find a question for you - If he was one for the future why did his transfer rely on one of our current players being sold?

The thing about John Williams is he keeps his gob shut an his mind open.

Can anyone name another Chairman that they would rather have?

Go on, have a go, because I'm dashed if I can think of one.

Who said Peter Risdale?

The thing about John Williams is he keeps his gob shut an his mind open.

Can anyone name another Chairman that they would rather have?

Go on, have a go, because I'm dashed if I can think of one.

Who said Peter Risdale?

John Williams is an outstanding Chairman. Smart,pragmatic,respectful and totally committed to our clubs best interests. We are very lucky..

The missing money for me is baffling and in other circumstances almost unforgivable but JW has done a lot for this club and deserves credit for that, I'm sure it's not down to him solely.

The ever changing excuses and reasoning on the money front are certainly frustrating for the fans though, to not spend a penny this window whilst shaving some money off the wage bill would have been unthinkable at the start of the window.

There is no missing money. Read the statement and you will see that contract extentions were given to one or two players, Jones and Pederson to name two. Jones was a long term contract, I think Ollsson was another. Then various outlays for Ewood Park, Training facilities etc. I think people think that all money coming into the club has to be spent on replacing the players sold. Ideally I suppose that would be good. But on Rovers budget, they have to pay for everything else as well from whatever money is brought in.

excellent interview by JW.

Very candid revealing information which not even this MB picked up and putting it all into context.

It reveals that when we couldn't move Roberts on (or Zurab, Grella, Rigters etc ) that we had no Plan B.

Nobody has a crystal ball of course but it's possible that we've mistakenly fallen into the trap of thinking that the recession, the value of the £ and the re-jigged taxation rules would hamper our club more than other clubs. For self declared 'trading' clubs like ourselves long contracts for average players and journeymen have simply got to be consigned to the history books. That is the spike upon which we are currently impaled.

Joey I completely agree that our team isn't any worse off, if anything with the potential our youngsters have we will be better off.

My point is that other teams have significantly strengthened. We will do very well to finish above Fulham, Stoke, Brum, Sunderland etc if we do not buy in January. I'm not saying it's impossible, just likely given their spending power. Signings like Dembele, Gyan, Hleb and Jones are the kind of one's we'd no doubt be in for if we had the resources.

Certainly not all doom and gloom, and it's not like we're playing badly at all. Just think 12th-14th or thereabouts is more realistic given other PL teams spending.

I agree with this largely, it is going to be more difficult - particularly Brum and Stoke have strengthened significantly. I do not think Sunderland and Fulham have improved much though. That said we have been here before - a lot of teams have spent heavily around us (Sunderland, West Ham, Newcastle etc) and they have not managed to out perform Rovers. So hopefully that will be the case again. It is really about getting the best out of our not inconsiderable resources. We seem to be doing that with MGP and EHD who some thought were dead and buried. We now need to repeat the trick with either Kalinic or Benjani, or ideally both.

If one of them starts scoring then I think we will be okay. If we get to November and none of our strikers have got up a run of goals we will be in serious problems.

Posted from the takeover thread at the request of MM

SM

if you read back a few posts you will see that kamy will name them once he can confirm the identity. he is doing his digging and homework before announcing it.

I dont think kamy needs to name his source he is speaking directly to them if you read it properly. As for me, well like I said I wont name the source but again if you read back you will take note from what area the information has come from. its not heresay (bad band btw)nor is it speculation. Its because its corroborated from 2 sources that we believe the information to be correct.

You may choose to ignore it if you want or you may do your own digging and try and find information that would also be corroborative.

as a Rovers fan you have to look at it from a different perspective, we are all begging the question why, it seems unreal that at least 4 lots of would be owners like the look of Rovers. ask youself this - what is it Rovers have going for them and what is the attraction?

We are a business model the big clubs would aspire to, the not so big would like to be and the little clubs strive to be. We really are the most successful little outfit in English football. Our business model is down to Jack, his trust and John Williams. The manner in which our club is run, the professionalism, the standards and indeed everything about it stands out.

look out of the box and think laterally, BRFC is one attractive business and people, successful people at that, WANT IT.

That my mate, tells a story

Archived