BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other PL happenings 2010-2011

Tom

Just been reported on the bbc that liverpool have been sold. That is a fast takeover. DD done and prem test done in a few weeks.

If the Hicks and Gillett don't want to sell, as it seems, I'm sure they can make the thing drag on for ages for legal disputes..

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New England Sports Ventures (Boston Red Sox) could be very good owners both for Liverpool & the sport in general. Interesting...........

If anyone wants a feel of the sort of strategy the Red Sox might implement, I can reccommend reading "MoneyBall" by Michael Lewis. A tale of a financially strapped Oakland A's baseball team that achieved success by finding value where others couldn't. The book finishes in 2003 on a footnote that its about to be implemented by John Henry at the Red Sox.

Subsequently the Red Sox won the World Series twice..........

How can a club be sold, when the owners don't want to sell?

Because the money they owe RBS (£286m) is due for repayment Oct 15th. If G&H don't repay they forfeit control and are subject to £60m penalty payment.

I believe John Henry has offered around £286m so G&H are holding out to get a profit to takeaway.

They don't have a bargaining position as far as I can see.

To the tune of "Is this the way to Amarillo"

when the day is dawning,

on a scouser's monday morning,

how i long to be there,

the bottom 3 is waiting for me there,

all around the city,

where i lay my hat,...

they say ,thanks to Torres ,

the useless Spanish tw@t,

Is this the way to relegation?

the laughing stock of all the nation,

Dreaming dreams of trips to Preston,

days out in Scunthorpe wait for me......

If anyone wants a feel of the sort of strategy the Red Sox might implement, I can reccommend reading "MoneyBall" by Michael Lewis. A tale of a financially strapped Oakland A's baseball team that achieved success by finding value where others couldn't. The book finishes in 2003 on a footnote that its about to be implemented by John Henry at the Red Sox.

Subsequently the Red Sox won the World Series twice..........

Moneyball on steriods perhaps. The Red Sox are ###### loaded. Always have been.

Good luck adapting it to football though. There simply aren't enough stats to analyse for it to work.

Deluded Scousers alert on SSN !

"We're going to win the league", "We're only 12 points off top spot.."

:lol:

I do wonder how somebody who was valued at £500 million, BEFORE his company hit trouble in 2008, will transform a club with £300 million worth of debt alone? :blink:

• Backroom
No points penalty possible for Reds, say Premier League

10/6/2010 - 10:26:04 AM

The Premier League will not dock points from Liverpool if the club’s American owners’ company Kop Holdings goes into administration next week, it can be revealed.

There have been suggestions that if Tom Hicks and George Gillett block a £300m (€344m) takeover for the club by New England Sports Ventures, owners of the Boston Red Sox baseball team, then their holding company would be put into administration by the Royal Bank of Scotland over their unpaid £280m (€321m) debts.

That would not lead to an automatic points deduction for the Reds however – the Premier League have clarified the rules regarding parent companies so that if the club itself is a fully solvent entity – as Liverpool is – then the penalty clause should not apply.

A Premier League source said: “The aim of the regulations is primarily to capture clubs who have gone into insolvency. This is manifestly not the case with Liverpool Football Club.”

For example, last year West Ham’s Icelandic owners went into administration but that did not lead to any Premier League action as the club itself was solvent.

All prospective owners are obliged to give the league 10 days’ notice of a takeover and prove they have the funds to sustain the club.

Any prospective owners have to have a face-to-face meeting with league chiefs to convince them they have enough money for the season to come.

That's a shame.

Moneyball on steriods perhaps. The Red Sox are ###### loaded. Always have been.

Good luck adapting it to football though. There simply aren't enough stats to analyse for it to work.

Yes, the Red Sox are loaded and went 86 years without winning the title. The inference is by breaking with convention they were then able to win. I'm no Baseball expert but it is a cracking read.

Got to agree that it would be difficult to adapt to football as Baseball is much more a series of set plays that rely less on all round ability.

This just makes me sad and totally disillusioned... Is this what football has come to? Crawling in the dust for wealthy private owners? "Pleeeease mister, can we have some more money? We promise we'll behave this time, we just need a little more, pleeeease?"

I actually haven't seen him apart from Saturday, but the fact that he has stepped into a very decent Stoke side directly from the Championship and played those 6 games is noteworthy.

I have and I don't think he's made an impact. In the 6 games he's played this season he's managed just 6 shots in total, 3 of them on goal. Compare him to Kenwyne Jones who's had 23 shots in total, 10 of them on target in the same amount of games. I know Walters plays in a deeper role but he's still a forward and one shot per game is absolute rubbish. He took his goal well but it wasn't difficult as no one made a challenge ;)

But so like we're still dealing with "Mystery Buyers" 3 months into this proposed sale, while Liverpool get sold in a day? How is this possible, and how is this fair?

Look what happened last time they got sold. Would we really want that. We are checking out our prospective owners properly. I would far rather do that then be sold in a day

Look what happened last time they got sold. Would we really want that. We are checking out our prospective owners properly. I would far rather do that then be sold in a day

They are taking another risk for sure, but you think eventually they'll get some luck and get it right. Basically no matter how badly they screw up, no matter how badly they fail, the money men will always be there to bail them out. It's how clubs like Spurs and Villa operate as well. While we know that any big screwup will have us relegated and down into obscurity.

Are there no limits at all to money corrupting the integrity of the game is what I'm wondering.

To the tune of "Is this the way to Amarillo"

when the day is dawning,

on a scouser's monday morning,

how i long to be there,

the bottom 3 is waiting for me there,

all around the city,

where i lay my hat,...

they say ,thanks to Torres ,

the useless Spanish tw@t,

Is this the way to relegation?

the laughing stock of all the nation,

Dreaming dreams of trips to Preston,

days out in Scunthorpe wait for me......

Surely you will credit the composer. ;)

Have to say, having seen the work the Sox ownership group has done in Boston... they've done jsut about everything right in Boston, in terms of the media, the fans, the financials, the stadium.... Some fo the things they did were met with skepticism from the die hards (seats on top of the green monster most notably), but they did everything right, and that controversial set of seats are the hottest ticket in the stadium now.

It is probably difficult to turn Liverpool around given their current state, but I'd not bet against that group.

But so like we're still dealing with "Mystery Buyers" 3 months into this proposed sale, while Liverpool get sold in a day? How is this possible, and how is this fair?

Obvious. It's cos our owners are in a position to negotiate and Liverpools owners aren't. Is that fair enough for you?

Obvious. It's cos our owners are in a position to negotiate and Liverpools owners aren't. Is that fair enough for you?

No it is not. The point is Liverpool get what they want when they want it, and even though they haven't sold nearly all of their star players, their fans still have the audacity to complain and "protest". They are not losing to Blackpool because their owners aren't giving them enough money. Torres alone is worth our entire squad combined. They are losing because they have sold out their club to the corporate Americans a long time ago, and they sure as hell didn't complain when that was bringing them success.

"You reap what you sow" has been replaced by "you reap what you sow, unless you happen to attract rich businessmen, so it doesn't matter, go ahead and spend however much you want".

Archived