BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle v Rovers

jodrell

Great result! Loved the formation, I thought it made us look like a much better team. Did anyone else feel if we had Olsson down that left side instead of Chimbonda we would have absolutely murdered Newcastle?

It wasn't really a 532, it was more like a 541.

------------------------------Kali/Roberts

-----Hoilett------Pedersen-------Jones-------Emerton

Chimbonda------------------------------------------------Sagado

---------------------GIvet------Nelsen----Samba

---------------------------------Robinson

I can see this going places if we make a couple of adjustments:-

-------------------------------Roberts

---EH Diouf----Pedersen-------Jones-------Hoilett

Olsson------------------------------------------------------Salgado

------------------Givet----Nelsen----Samba

------------------------------RObinson

Literally never seen that formation used in football before (or haven't noticed it if I have) but it looks very promising. Newcastle got no room on the ball and we could break at pace through the outstanding Hoilett.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised we didn't win with a hand ball. I'll take a 2-1 victory, the 5th consecutive victory at St James park, as well as praising Big Sam for some very bold tactics. I bet he loved proving Mike Ashley and the Newcastle fans that they were wrong to get rid of him.

Great result! Loved the formation, I thought it made us look like a much better team. Did anyone else feel if we had Olsson down that left side instead of Chimbonda we would have absolutely murdered Newcastle?

It wasn't really a 532, it was more like a 541.

------------------------------Kali/Roberts

-----Hoilett------Pedersen-------Jones-------Emerton

Chimbonda------------------------------------------------Sagado

---------------------GIvet------Nelsen----Samba

---------------------------------Robinson

I can see this going places if we make a couple of adjustments:-

-------------------------------Roberts

---EH Diouf----Pedersen-------Jones-------Hoilett

Olsson------------------------------------------------------Salgado

------------------Givet----Nelsen----Samba

------------------------------RObinson

Literally never seen that formation used in football before (or haven't noticed it if I have) but it looks very promising. Newcastle got no room on the ball and we could break at pace through the outstanding Hoilett.

Can't see Sam dropping Emerton who i thought had another solid game.

The boys deserved it and so did Sam, he got his tactics spot on and really nulified Newcastle, all the players did really well and deserve praise, Hoillet, Pederson and Jones had very good games and well done to Jason Roberts for actually keeping his head and making that goal for himself.

Was a breath of fresh air to see Hoilett running with the ball and causing problems to defenders, it was a very strange formation which I never did figure out but it worked and got us 3 points which I didnt see coming in the second half.

Well done Sam and the boys.

Can't agree RVR..I thought Ped's threaded some lovely passes tonight and showed some guile,not something we're overburdened with.

I'll be honest, I thought he was okay. I'll never be convinced that he's a centre-midfielder, but tonight was an improvement.

Anyone else surprised by this statistic?

Home

Wins...D....L....GF.....GA....Pts

Away

Yes that's right, our away form is only 1 point behind our home form. I realise that the two home losses were Chelsea and Arsenal, but compared to last year that's chalk and cheese.

We could do with sticking with this formation for more away games - massively solid at the back (barring Samba's error) and wing-backs getting forward.

David Hoilett was very good and MGP also had a good game.

1 shot on target for them, who have been pretty good at home, is a massive statement of how well we did defensively.

I think we very well might. Centre half is where we've got strength in depth, and while we don't really have wingers, we do have wing backs (Salgado, Chimbonda, Olsson and Emerton). It allows us to play three central midfielders and still play two up front.

I don't like 3-5-2, but it does suit the players we have, so might as well play to our strengths.

For anyone who did watch the game, would you say it was 5-4-1/3-6-1, 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1?

I'll be honest, I thought he was okay. I'll never be convinced that he's a centre-midfielder, but tonight was an improvement.

You're entitled to your opinion Topman but several other people besides me seem to think he had a good,solid game.Sometimes it seems he's an easy target for some...

Interesting point but before these six consecutive wins, I don't think we had won at St James' Park for something like 70 years.

Liverpool at 16 years is now the regularly regularly played away fixture we have gone the longest at without registering a win which is pretty good going. all other opponents have been beaten on their patch in this decade.

Anyway, enough stats, great win and here's hoping the refs will be as forgiving to or players' transgressions as they were to Newcastle's tonight.

And Sam did out think Chris Hughton all ends up!

Interesting point but before these six consecutive wins, I don't think we had won at St James' Park for something like 70 years.

Liverpool at 16 years is now the regularly regularly played away fixture we have gone the longest at without registering a win which is pretty good going. all other opponents have been beaten on their patch in this decade.

Anyway, enough stats, great win and here's hoping the refs will be as forgiving to or players' transgressions as they were to Newcastle's tonight.

And Sam did out think Chris Hughton all ends up!

Take it that's only in the league? We won 1-0 there in 2000, FA Cup where Nathan Blake scored!

Great result. Great tactics.

Pedersen had another great game. But what about Junior? He has really bulked up and competed physically. He won several headers and shielded the ball well. Really encouraging since I've been a bit in doubt about his size.

Chimbonda is not a left back and really struggled since he can only use 1 foot. He got forward but didn't know what to do with the ball, get Olsson fit!

Kalinic played pretty good, put in a good shift and brings players into the game. Roberts on the other hand isn't very mobile but then goes and score a goal no other players in the team would. His reaction is childish, but as long as he scores let him be a little drama queen.

The win felt really good esp. since Barton should've been off for that punch in Pedersen's stomach. He'll get a 3 match suspension, no doubt.

Archived