SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle v Rovers

jodrell

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A message from Big Sam:

Lads were buzzing tonight. On the bus home we saw a badger in full Geordie colours. We got him on the bus and took turns punching his face.

We had to stop though. The badger had a real quiet dignity about him. In the end we befriended him. He looked a bit like Al Pacino. A gent.

I like Chris Hughton though. He looks like the guy from 'Jaws'. He couldn't contain the Big Sam-shaped shark in his waters tonight though.

45 minutes at most. ;) Most agree Kalinic needs that second striker with him, so why not Kalinic, 6m investment needs nurturing cashing in.

:)

i said on this thread earlier, that we would be doing well to get a point up there. so, to go up there and come back with all 3 pts is fantastic. tactically, a brilliant performance from big sam and the players to carry out those instructions. can somebody tell me exactly what happened between morten and joey barton at the end of game??

It makes perfect sense against 4-4-2 when you think about it Samba and Givet can match up man-to-man on Carrol and Ameobi whilst we'll still have a spare centreback to cover. (Nelsen was superb in this role for NZ at the world cup). Whilst we also have two upfront although I'm guessing Hoilett may operate just behind Kalinic if they both play central.

Told you there was no need to worry.

From the extended highlights we looked very solid at the back at bar the goal where Samba misjudged the flight of the ball Newcastle created next to nothing. Whilst we looked rather dangerous on the counter-attack with Holiett impressing. Man of the match has got to go to Pedersen though, a couple of good runs into the box and I'm sure I witnessed him skip past a couple of players on one occassion. Jason "you wouldn't like me when i' angry" Roberts proving a point with another crucial goal that have now earnt us four points over the past two games. (and therefore meaning he's on a balance of +1 for the season on the back of the three points he may have cost us against Chelsea).

I also had a feeling Big Sam would be mega up for this one, and in the end got his tactics spot on. Hughton can moan all he wants but he stopped them from playing, yet still looked dangerous on the break, a fresh change from many recent away games.

Got to give credit to Big Sam today, it was spot on. Lets hope this continues, as I rarely felt as if we were going to concede (bar the inevitable 47th minute goal for them <_< )

Up the Rovers - although I expect us to get a good hiding off Spurs. Sketchy league form at the moment, vs Rovers, all points to one thing - a Spurs win. This is the case regardless of the manager, it's a Rovers thing! :brfc:

Not sure what makes Hughton think they should have won tonight, was it the two shots on target from the home side?

Brilliant Away performance from us tonight. Best game from MGP this season. Jones was excellent in the first half especially.

Not sure what Roberts is thinking, its like he was possessed tonight, at one point he shoved Samba! Bit immature, but I'll take the goal.

Hoilett gave Simpson(possibly the worst player in the league) a torrid time, more of the sam please junior.

Well Done Sam.

Up the Rovers - although I expect us to get a good hiding off Spurs. Sketchy league form at the moment, vs Rovers, all points to one thing - a Spurs win. This is the case regardless of the manager, it's a Rovers thing! :brfc:

I'm not so sure. I think the Spurs got us at a low point last season. This time around, I expect that Sam can pull a point or three out of his hat. If nothing else, he's demonstrated that the Rovers can play in more than one formation which will make us a bear to prepare for. And the Spurs have only got two days to figure out which system Sam will be showing up with. :)

I think it has to be remembered that the majority of fans on here were clamouring for Roberts to be sold and there were multiple obscenities thrown in his direction as well before this season. A lot of people wanted him out and didn't care much for him at all. I have to say, it's fair enough with some of the misses he's had, but on a personal level, Roberts seems like an honest, hard-working guy. He's given his all for the team for years and has a decent, if not spectacular, goal tally to show for it.

Quite frankly, the loyalty and hard work he's shown for the club, has never been returned by the club's fans and it's a great shame. I believe the first time I actually decided to start posting on this board was in defence of Roberts because I was simply infuriated by the mocking comments laid upon him before he had even had a chance to touch the ball.

I think he has a future at this club and can continue playing a part in the team, but I honestly wouldn't blame him and would probably encourage him to quit and move elsewhere. If I was him, I would be simply fed up by the attitude towards me from the fans and probably management as well.

That's just my two cents though.

I'm as thankful as anyone for the two game-winning goals, but c'mon... you score goals and you're a hero. Miss sitters and you're a goat. Roberts has been both and is not the first player of modest ability to fail to win over the fans.

As far as his issues with our management - he is a vetran player and knows better than to throw a tantrum when he's not being played (I think). This summer both parties would've been content to see him go - but that didn't work out and now it makes sense (for both parties) to make the best of the situation.

Hurts doesnt it when we win....you dont get to have your weekly moan! Oh dear...who will be the victim of your modd this week?! Dont worry im sure you will be back soon enough! :lol: Seriously I was simply quoting the over the top reactions from during the game....im simply getting at one point - 'Have abit more faith in your team'

Again, you've just demonstrated to everyone why you've got a mental age of 12.

I'm over the moon we won and if you'd bothered to read the thread properly you'd see that I praised BFS for changing his tactics.

Given our second half performances this season (something you actually highlighted by starting a thread about how we'd be 3rd based on first half results), it wasn't exactly over the top or indeed unusual to post what I did.

We've had two good results, but I still worry about the lack of chances we create - against Wigan we were awful, scored a flukey free-kick and from pretty much from our only other chance. Last night we were gifted two goals from Geordie mistakes. 2 wins on the trot is excellent but let's not get overexcited just yet.

Feels even better the morning after the night before! Great way to start the working day.

Excellent tactics, and other than the single lapse by Samba, virtually negated Newcastle's attack.

The players worked their socks off pressing so high up the pitch.

Well deserved in such a tight league this season. A win and we are in European contention (for a week) and the opposite applies for a defeat. The table is not yet stretching out and may not do so for a while as its been quite inconsistent all around.

Nice one, we get a great win and you would rather slag off genuine fans who predicted a loss due to our inconsistent form.

Anyway great result and I'm happy to see Chimbonda and especially Junior get some game time, maybe Sam has been getting him to concentrate on his strength before using him more.

Once again Roberts shows us just what Niko doesn't have, Roberts and Benjani can both create chances for themselves, Niko can't.

Well done Sam, suprised us all there.

You couldn't deny though that there are posters who criticise the manager and proclaim a crisis after every defeat but are absent from the board when we win. They'll be back!

• Backroom

Well, I certainly didn't see that one coming!! Given the barcodes were on a run of unbeaten games AND having just beaten Arsenal AND be playing at home .. I felt sure we were going to get mullered last night :P Well done lads!! tremendous display :tu:

Someone referred to simpson being one of the worst players in the league earlier. Maybe worth noting that hes been playing well recently and there has been talk of an England call up. Makes hoiletts performance against him all th sweeter.

Fantastic win. Nice to be 4 points clear of trouble as well but it was scary when in the 47th minute we went from five points ahead of the last 3 to two in the live updates.

Cannot see anything in the press yet suggesting Newcastle should have finished with only 8 players which is what some refs would have done to them but there are indications that Williamson deliberately deflected MGP's first half shot wide of goal with his arm. Not seen any coverage of the game yet.

Few things make me happier than beating the barcodes, especially at St. James. This season just got a whole lot better. Awesome, awesome stuff.

Still not 100% what Roberts is angry about, but the way BFS treated him over the summer would be a good guess. And he has every right to be angry about that. Or maybe still his miss vs Chelsea? In any case, let's hope he keeps up what he's doing.

If that is what happens when he is angry, then i hope Sam tells him, that he wont start against Spurs. We should just make him more and more angry :P

Someone referred to simpson being one of the worst players in the league earlier. Maybe worth noting that hes been playing well recently and there has been talk of an England call up. Makes hoiletts performance against him all th sweeter.

That was me Ricky. Im not convinced by Simpson, and yes he has played well recently, but if he is England quality, then i can understand why the English team is not doing too well lately. The young defender from Arsenal is good player, cant get to his name now.

Seen the Yahoo highlights. Nice takes foor our two goals- don't think we should have had a handball pen though. What is the idea of giving Caroll an unmarked run at a free kick unless it is a way of paying homage to the way Arsenal conceded a near identical goal just four days ago?

Really like Sam's interview on the BBC match report.

And St James was only 76% full- passionate Geordies???

As I said earlier I was sat in the Newcastle end, below the rovers fans and off to the side.

Not the best game quality wise but I will take that everytime if rovers win. People are kidding themselves if they think it was anything but 5-4-1 for Rovers but we did it well making sure we had plenty of width.

Robbo didn't have a save to make there were just a couple of blocked shots besides the goal. Junior was awesome, best game I think I've seen him have for 1st team. Everyone played well just some were quieter than others really.

I didn't see the Barton incident at the time but saw Gamst down, junior had been booked for diving just before so everyones attention was elsewhere.

2 well taken goals by Rovers but Samba completely lost Carroll for their goal. It was a good tussle between them and both won their share of headers, I'd say he's definitely England worthy, more about him than Crouch for certain. As for any hopes for Simpson being called up....goodbye Junior tore him to bits.

Overall a very sweet victory whilst sat in their end and then getting a Geordie packed bus back to a mates :)

If that is what happens when he is angry, then i hope Sam tells him, that he wont start against Spurs. We should just make him more and more angry :P

Just shows you cannot believe everything written in the media. They said Sam and Roberts had settled their differences etc. Roberts is just fustrated at not being able to get 90 minutes or even a fair crack. Yes he missed a sitter against chelsea, but has since scored two. As he says, some he misses and some he scores. But one thing I will give him credit for is that he is always trying.

He may not be prolific in front of goal, but defenders hate playing against him.

As I said earlier I was sat in the Newcastle end, below the rovers fans and off to the side.

Not the best game quality wise but I will take that everytime if rovers win. People are kidding themselves if they think it was anything but 5-4-1 for Rovers but we did it well making sure we had plenty of width.

Robbo didn't have a save to make there were just a couple of blocked shots besides the goal. Junior was awesome, best game I think I've seen him have for 1st team. Everyone played well just some were quieter than others really.

I didn't see the Barton incident at the time but saw Gamst down, junior had been booked for diving just before so everyones attention was elsewhere.

2 well taken goals by Rovers but Samba completely lost Carroll for their goal. It was a good tussle between them and both won their share of headers, I'd say he's definitely England worthy, more about him than Crouch for certain. As for any hopes for Simpson being called up....goodbye Junior tore him to bits.

Overall a very sweet victory whilst sat in their end and then getting a Geordie packed bus back to a mates :)

It wasn't a 5,4,1 formation But 5,1,3,1 which worked a treat in my view.

I think Allerdyce is up to his old Bolton tricks with players who are at the wrong end of their career and deep down he knows what he is doing psychologically to get the best out of Roberts like he did with players at his time with Bolton. Agree anyone?

BBC Match Report

We don't even get credit when we win. Seemingly we only scored because of two Newcastle mistakes and the Joey Barton punch (downgraded to a 'hand', probably because of Barton's pretence afterward) was Pedersen's fault! They should throw the book at him, and I'd be looking for criminal assault charges against the thug.

I thought it was an excellent performance last night from all concerned. The manager had his tactics spot on and the players worked tremendously hard from start to finish. Using three centre-backs, with the two full-backs pushing forwards seemed to really confuse Newcastle at times. I thought our three centre-backs were excellent and Salgado seemed to get better and better as the game went on and used his vast experience to play his way out of difficult situations.

Although I haven't seen a replay of the match, at the time I felt their goal was down to a mix up between Robinson and Samba. When the ball was put into the area, Robinson started to come for it and then stopped but I suspect Samba saw him make a move and, as a result, didn't react to the run of Carroll - hence he was completely flat footed as the Newcastle striker towered above him to head home.

I was also impressed with the workrate of Emerton and Pedersen in midfield. Both had the energy to support attack and defence whenever needed and didn't give the likes of Nolan and Barton time to settle on the ball.

With regard to the lone striker, I don't think that there is any doubt that Roberts is more suited to the role than Kalinic. Having said that, Roberts does seem to make an impact when he comes on as a sub - obviously he has something to prove to the manager and at the moment it is working for the good of the team.

Well, I certainly didn't see that one coming!! Given the barcodes were on a run of unbeaten games AND having just beaten Arsenal AND be playing at home .. I felt sure we were going to get mullered last night :P Well done lads!! tremendous display :tu:

Neither did I. Great result.

Have to say that the highlights on MOTD didn't look too good. I was shocked when I saw the Newcastle goal. I could not believe that we would ever give Carolle so much space.

Great to see Pederson on the score sheet again. I have always thought that he could be right up there as a goal scoring midfield player and somewhat dissapointed when this has not come true. However, still plenty of time to improve his tally for the season.

Archived