BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester United v Blackburn Rovers

colin

Manchester United v Rovers: Saturday 27th November 15:00 KO.

Please will you give a warm welcome to Joanne & Barrie, the former is a long-standing friend & the latter is a work colleague. They are both lovely people despite being Manchester United fans. They don’t know each other so there is no collusion and we may get two very different views. Joanne’s replies are in this colour and Barries’ replies are in this colour.

And don’t forget that both have willingly given their time to do this.

(1) I was born in Whalley in The Ribble Valley and my parents originated from Blackburn. My Dad took me to Rovers when I was about 7 years old. What got you to support Manchester United?

I moved around a lot as a child, Newcastle; Lincoln; Kent; Warrington; & Leeds so didn't have a natural team - first match I ever saw was Newcastle and Man U at St James Park - when George Best played for them - he didn't play that day but Willy and Bobby Charlton did, remembered George Best - my Dad had worked at Trafford Park when he was younger and our Michael (my brother) liked Man U - it wasn't till I actually came to live in Manchester at 19 that I really started to adopt the city and team - reinforced by fact that Bryan Robson went to same school as me in Newcastle (Birtley) and was only 2 years ahead - I went out with his friend !!

Being born in Salford and living a short distance across the ship canal from OT, it was a sure bet I would be a red. My first game at OT was in 1973, when I was aged 10. It was an Anglo-Italian cup match under flood lights, against Bari. My Dad took me a few times the next season, the year we were relegated, and again the following season when we stormed back to Division 1. From then on, I was hooked.

I've now had my season ticket for 33 years and so knew plenty of dark days before Fergie started to weave his magic. In fact, Fergie has been in charge at OT for as exactly the same number of years that I have been married to my wife. Guess which one has given me the most pleasure in that period? (not half the pleasure that I’ll get once & have your home phone number & can blackmail you, to stop me not to mention this to Mrs Barrie.)

When we lived in Shropshire and subsequently in the Scottish Borders, I still managed to get to all home and many away games and can count myself lucky to have been at three of top United “I was there” moments. The first was when Fergie infamously blooded, to chagrin of the Fleet Street sports editors, a team of kids (Butt, Beckam, Neville, Scholes etc) at Port Vale in the league cup in 1994; next when Eric went over the fence at Crystal Palace and finally, in1999 being at the Nou Camp when Ollie put the ball in the Germans net.

Now we live back in the North West, the generational brain washing has continued as I sit proudly with my young son in the family stand at OT educating him as best I can, in the ways of being a Red.

(2) Here's a tennis ball thrown under-arm by a six-year old and you've got a cricket bat:

As I grow older I feel more despair over the rubbish that managers spout on. (Rarely when they have collected three points though.) I used to think that "Ferg - The Dark Lord of Trafford" was just about the king, but many other managers seem to be catching up. At Rovers we often get embarrassed

by "Baron BFS of Ewood". Apart from that pair, who do you reckon is the gobbiest manager, and why?

Arsene Wenger - the whinger - he's just so sort of 'negative' like an irritant fly.

He just exited stage left! Surely Rafa Benitez wins that accolade by a country mile. The man was barmy to say the least. TV directors must have thought it was their birthday when after another below par Liverpool performance, he come out of the changing room to do a post-match interview especially if he had a piece of paper in his hand with a few pre-prepared barbs on it.

A close second would be Wenger. A great footballing brain maybe, but he must be one of the most mealy mouthed, whingeing, unappreciative, unsporting and ungracious men in the game. Even Fergie of late, has been known to congratulate teams who have taken points off us. But I bet you could count on one hand the number of times Wenger has.

(3) Your away supporters keep standing up. As a result you got a reduced allocation for the derby. You're going to get slapped bottoms more & more. Any insight? Collective piles perhaps?

Bring back standing Stretford end

European Cup winners Final in Rotterdam in 1991, United fans in very shallow temporary seating areas along the pitch side, had to stand to be able to see the game. A tannoy announcement asked them to sit down for the benefit of the UEFA VIPs and guests sat behind them! The response from the rest of the 30,000 united fans was to all stand up and give a wonderful rendition of James hit Oh sit down, sit down next to me. I’m not saying that incident has lead to United fans standing at recent games, but it does show its been an issue for as long as grounds have had all seats.

Every set of away fans at OT stand and you see it frequently at televised games too, so its not just us. Teams who have reduced our away allocation are usually those not used to handling large boisterous crowds, or are using the standing issue as an excuse to squeeze a few more of their home fans in at our expense and seeing how you mentioned the derby yes, City fall into both categories!

(4) So, Who's cutting the mustard for Manchester United this season and who needs to be sent to "The Naughty Corner" by The Dark Lord?

New boy Hernandez started well - Nani much improved; Scholes always good; - Rooney bit off him - poor playing followed by treason - long way back - Berbatov started well but seems to be tailing off a bit; Vidic reliable and scoring; Van Der Sar - not at his best.

Frankly, not too many. Berbatov continues to frustrate and divide the fans. Nani is scoring more goals, but his crossing and decision making remains woeful at times and the less said about Rooney the better. I think we are now realising what a good job Valencia was doing for us before his leg break. But having said that Hargreaves had an excellent 3 minutes the other day!

Although we do seem to have a few decent youngsters flirting around the fringes of the squad, I really do think the Glazers are going to have to max out their official MBNA club credit card to bolster our midfield - we cannot keep relying on Paul Scholes and to get us a decent tricky winger who can consistently cross the ball well to Berba/Henedez/Rooney.

(5) Has anyone in the blue & white halves/quarters (the debate goes on, it will forever, thank Heavens Bristol Rovers haven't been involved yet) caught your eye this or last season?

No haven't seen them really - Diouf - oh did we lend him to you?? (only 50% of them Jo)

A few seasons ago I was a big fan of Morten Gamst Pedersen and can recall some top class strikes from him and so its good to see him doing well this term. Mame Biram Diouf also looks as he is developing well at Rovers. But this is despite having a manager like Allardyce as I’m surprised he has not had any attacking instincts knocked out of him. Sorry to digress from the question, but managers like Allardyce, (Mick McCarthy et al) , are a real threat to football and should not be allowed near a tactical black-board. Rovers deserve better! promise rant over! [Oh dear, I may have more in common with Wenger than I thought!]

(6) The Mastication Debate: Will "The Dark Lord" or "Baron BFS " chomp through more sticks of Wrigleys during the game?

Dark Lord - how will you know?

Well, if the amount of chewy chewed is proportionate to the distress felt, I hope Allardyce goes through a crate of the stuff!

(7) The BRFCS web site runs a good line in jokes, not always football related. Can you have a go at topping these two? One each will do.

(a) "Four Liverpool players were playing football with a hedgehog outside my house last night. I was disgusted & was just about to phone the RSPCA when the hedgehog went one-nil up."(Thanks to Bazza)

(b ) A bloke is sat at home watching TV when his rather large wife comes into the room very unhappy. "I have just fell down the stairs, did you not hear it" she shouts. The man replies, "I did hear a noise but I just thought it was Eastenders finishing." (Thanks to Grabbi)

What do they call the Trophy cabinet at Eward Park? The Cabinet!

Sam Allardyce is to undergo surgery and will miss Blackburn's next three matches. Lucky @#/?!

sorry

That Liverpool/ Hedgehog joke is very clever! But, are you clever enough to spell Armageddon? No? Well don’t worry, its not the end of the world!!

If Venkys take the club over, I hear there’s real concern amongst the Rovers fans that the transfer budget will be poultry? (Barrie, that fell off the top branch of the “pathetic tree“ & it hit every branch on the way down.)

..and from my 12 year old son (honest) why is your dog called black smith? Its because he keeps making a bolt for the door.

(8) At the time of writing we've beaten Blackpool & Newcastle away. I bet you are shaking in your boots. What's the score doing to be?

3 1 to us

3-0 to the reds

(9) There's a tendency on this site for some people to do a Mystic Meg and predict the crowd. Feck knows why they want to do it but you might as well join in. I'll buy you a packet of dry-roasted peanuts and a Twix if you get closer than anyone else.

Depends whether Rovers fans come in a taxi or a mini bus, but I will go for just short of capacity at 74,903. Good luck and enjoy the game!

Thank you Joanne & Barrie

Here’s the last nine results at The Theatre Of Merchandising to curtain-pole salesmen from Horsham

2009-2010 Lost 2-0

2008-2009 Lost 2-1

2007-2008 Lost 2-0

2006-2007 Lost 4-1

2005-2006 Won 1-2 Yeah! MGP both goals

2004-2005 Draw 0-0

2003-2004 Lost 2-1

2002-2003 Lost 3-1

2001-2002 Lost 2-1

2-1 loss looks a fair bet for those who like a flutter.

Finally - a tribute to

END

Post script

Not that this has got to do anything with this preview, but have a look at the late great

. Who wouldn't wish him to be the manager of your team. Nine and a half minutes, and worth every second as he takes the rip out of a young John Motson & TV coverage of football. Still pertinent today, which is rather the worrying thing. Enjoy.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great preview (again) Colin.

Sooner or later Man U's poor performances will catch up with them.

A huge amount depends on the two recovery rooms but I think Rovers will just come up short for the quality needed to take advantage of the sub-par Mancs. Wouldn't be surprised for us to soften them up for someone else to give them a drubbing soon after though.

Unless Rovers have the opportunity of playing a semi final at this ground in the future, I will never set foot in the place again nor would I pi££ on it if it was on fire.

United have a mid week CL game in the battle of Britain, lets hope Gers do some damage to the pampered lot from mould t.

They are gonna spank some team big time at some point I just hope it isnt us.

we can guarantee the following.

manure to get a penalty.

shrek will score.

Rovers will have a red card.

Rovers will miss a penalty if awarded

Rovers will concede in the 99th minute if we are 1-0 up due to fergie time.

I dont see anything other than a loss. A good read Colin. Thanks

Unless Rovers have the opportunity of playing a semi final at this ground in the future, I will never set foot in the place again nor would I pi££ on it if it was on fire.

Nor me. I hate the place and each time I've been, home fans surround you (very, very closely) outside the ground and literally shout abuse in your face. Shoves, elbows anything that they can justify as being 'accidental' goes on too. I've haven't been in a fight since school days and have never been drawn into anything bar an argument but just don't want to be in a position where one false move could result in a brawl. I rate them as the worst fans in the Premier League.

Nor me. I hate the place and each time I've been, home fans surround you (very, very closely) outside the ground and literally shout abuse in your face. Shoves, elbows anything that they can justify as being 'accidental' goes on too. I've haven't been in a fight since school days and have never been drawn into anything bar an argument but just don't want to be in a position where one false move could result in a brawl. I rate them as the worst fans in the Premier League.

Both Manc clubs are now crazily priced, it's a shame as it was always a cracking day out on the sauce pre and post match, many fellow Blues have knocked it on the head (there are still a few of us daft enough to pay it though! :wacko:)

No way will I consider putting any money into this odious club by buying a ticket. Of all the fixtures in the calendar this is the one more than any other that I want to win. Just cannot stand their glory hunting supporters based anywhere but Manchester sitting in their armchairs and feeling better than the average footy supporter because they 'support' The Scum.

not often but spot on there ivan,scum fans and scum priced.

£42 to pay for the dubious privilage of being thrown out of OT again. Football..Now wonder the GF thinks I am mad.

takeovers are ace for fans;) was only £26 before the yanks took over.

Archived