BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

Just scrolling through this thread and i have read you calling one poster an idot and accusing another of talking bullsh1t. You really need to learn to respect people's opinions.

He's totally flipped since Sam's dismissal.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is such a strange and tight league table at the moment, maybe Kean really does believe we can finish top 5?

In the Talk Sport interview, Kean clearly states that his ambition is to get into the top 10 this season, maybe top 8 with investment, then its a year by year process. He even said that people have been confused with comments made by Desai (I know!) as communication is not the greatest coming from India.

Touch wood the only stories have appeared in the LET over the last 2 weeks.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/4082/1/exclusive-kean-denies-foul-play-promotion-manager

The facts based on the interview with Kean on Talksport:

1. Kean told the squad that he was going to India to find out the direction the club was going in.

2. Came back and Samba's agent told him that something was going to be in the national papers about Samba, Kean said: "His agent's been telling me he's been asking to leave the club for a year.

3. Samba said in the paper: "If this is the way the club's going to be run from now on, I don't want to be part of it and I want to leave.

IMO Passion came from the big Kiwi who clearly wore his heart on his sleeve. Samba was advised badly and as Club Captain should have thought about the club rather than himself.

Agree totally, much happier with Nelsen as captain, nobody works harder than him, he's an outstanding leader, and seems to have put those injuries behind him, which is why I think the captaincy was given to Samba in the first place. When the chips are down, and the preverbial has hit the fan, the last thing you need is the captain saying they will leave if the right offer comes in for him. As a player I really like Samba, but he has gone down in my estimation.

In the Talk Sport interview, Kean clearly states that his ambition is to get into the top 10 this season, maybe top 8 with investment, then its a year by year process. He even said that people have been confused with comments made by Desai (I know!) as communication is not the greatest coming from India.

Touch wood the only stories have appeared in the LET over the last 2 weeks.

The tabloids have been gunning for the club ever since BFS was sacked, and I believe they have played a massive part in all the confusion. Clearly the plan is to eventually make the club into a top 5 team, and we all knew this wont happen this season, or next season, it will take time to build a decent squad. I think the owners have looked at the way Spurs have gone about things, and I am hoping they are looking to do the same with us. Invest wisely in good young players, back the manager who ever it maybe, the key is they will have to be patient, thats my main concern with all this. One thing that has impressed me over the last week is the way Steve Kean has handled the media.

You've just done the spinning there DGS.

Taking facts and putting your own interpretation on them = spinning.

The facts say it all den.

Samba waited until the club were in turmoil, in a mess after the sacking of Sam.

Then he PERSONALLY went to the press HIMSELF to state that he wanted to leave. Those were quotes that were published den, nothing to do with agents/kean/nicko/lee grooby or whoever.

Try putting some spin on that.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/4082/1/exclusive-kean-denies-foul-play-promotion-manager

The facts based on the interview with Kean on Talksport:

1. Kean told the squad that he was going to India to find out the direction the club was going in.

2. Came back and Samba's agent told him that something was going to be in the national papers about Samba, Kean said: "His agent's been telling me he's been asking to leave the club for a year.

3. Samba said in the paper: "If this is the way the club's going to be run from now on, I don't want to be part of it and I want to leave.

Note the words 'from now on' implying that the single reason for him leaving is the direction of the club. This is a lie as has been shown by his agents comments. These are the facts, if Kean is lying then I am yet to see a statement from Chris correcting him.

IMO Passion came from the big Kiwi who clearly wore his heart on his sleeve. Samba was advised badly and as Club Captain should have thought about the club rather than himself.

i dont think, that samba was so eager in wanting to go, hence he didnt and still hasnt requested to be transferlisted or thrown his toys out of the pram. In the article kean stated, that samba said, he didnt want to go, but would think about it, if a big club came in, which would be the case for our entire squad. If he was so desperate, he could have instigated a move. As stated before, he was A.) worried about himself and B.) the clubs future, and in that order. Perfectly natural.

samba, to me, was venting his feelings, he didnt like the situation, exactly like thousands of fans, and said so. Nothing wrong with that, when you consider the shi-te being said from india.

The real question is, does Samba retain the captaincy if he comes out and says he loves the club and he's happy to stay?

For me, I'd have to say no. I love Ryan Nelsen as captain. He epitomises the hard-working, determined, never-say-die qualities that you need from your leader and above all he is a model professional.

Another thing to consider, was Samba offered the captaincy merely to help persuade him to stay if he has indeed been actively seeking a transfer for a year?

samba, to me, was venting his feelings, he didnt like the situation, exactly like thousands of fans, and said so. Nothing wrong with that, when you consider the shi-te being said from india.

Sure, he was venting his feelings and using the mess we were/are in as pretext to do so. Not the kind of action you would want from a captain. It certainly didn't show any loyalty, and if anyone thinks he was only doing it out of concern for the club, rather the his own personal perceived gain, then I want some of what they are drinking.

Still, we do need him at the club and in the side so, captaincy rightly taken away as a slap on the wrist, and hopefully we can him back playing and giving his all.

Greco- you could understand that BUT he went to the papers and he said he was looking to move-FACT.

Look at the timing, worse still is that he has been looking for a move for a year- which the club knew about!so whatever he said is masking the truth which Kean revealed to the world.

yeah what an out-this-world idea, a player handing in a transfer request, such a thing, has never happened before.

Did I say its never happened before? I was stating that it is the LAST resort because players are directed not to by their agents because in asking to leave they forfeit any loyalty payment they get from the club for not seeking a transfer. "Cash is King"

imy9

Greco- you could understand that BUT he went to the papers and he said he was looking to move-FACT.

you dont seem to fully understand the word fact, he stated no such thing. Now thats a fact.

Look at the timing, worse still is that he has been looking for a move for a year- which the club knew about!so whatever he said is masking the truth which Kean revealed to the world.

the timing, you are seing ghosts.. His workplace was a chaos, idiotic statements from the owners on a daily basis. firing of key staff memebers and others like finn and williams being isolated.. All this combined, should make you understand his reaction, a completely natural reaction. You would probably react the same way, if this was happening at your workplace.

i guess we will agree to disagree, have to watch dexter, cant sleep without some killing going on :xmas:

If this is the way the club is going to be run then I WANT TO LEAVE. That is fact, it is his direct quote. His agent also said he has wanted to leave for a year- fact?

So why say this NOW implying that it's the direction of the club is your issue for leaving NOT ambition which I could understand, so he was at the very least misleading, at worst lying?

Found this article in regards to Samba been made captain. It would appear Nelsen encouraged the idea, not sure how much of this is true.

http://www.paperbackmitre.co.uk/?p=670

Fantastic research Valois :rover:

It appears as though Nelson was doing the admirable thing. :P He saw himself ageing and thought it would be better for the club, passing on the responsibility to the next generation. However, it could also show that Sam pushed for Nelson to relinquish the captaincy to keep Samba happy. Fascinating stuff though.

I'd rather have Nelson as captain anyway though with Robbo as his trusted vice.

I'd rather have Nelsen as captain ;)

Nice...

I was in Amsterdam on a job recently, and one of the dutch clients absolutely tore the english apart for their love of puns. She was only flirting though, so it was all good.

Just to keep the post football related - let the admirable run the ship...tut tut

The facts say it all den.

Samba waited until the club were in turmoil, in a mess after the sacking of Sam.

Then he PERSONALLY went to the press HIMSELF to state that he wanted to leave. Those were quotes that were published den, nothing to do with agents/kean/nicko/lee grooby or whoever.

Try putting some spin on that.

Samba was team captain and had never mentioned anything about leaving at the time the takeover went through. Only after the sacking of a good manager for reasons that no-one at the time understood, did he say that "if that's the way the club is going to be run in the future, then I want away".

That isn't a transfer request in anyone's understanding.

The comments about Samba wanting away all year came from Steve Kean, via Samba's agent. So, facts:

Never been a transfer request.

Samba happy to stay.

Story about Samba wanting away all year came second hand from agent. Steve Kean knew nothing about this until agent told him.

That's the true version of events, not the same as DGS's spin.

But Sam's gone - get over it. He's nothing to do with Rovers anymore, and other than doing well to keep us up and beating Burnley twice he didn't achieve anything that we'll look back on fondly in 10 years time.

While I agree that Sam has gone and we move on to say that he didn't achieve anything is complete and utter rubbish. When he inherited the shambles that was left behind by the previous management and with the club stranded at the foot of the table, relegation was more than a real possiblity. The fact that he steered us clear means that history will record his period at Ewood somewhat more kindly than you suggest. If we had been relegated that season who knows how far we would have fallen.

Yes, it's time to move on but I, for one, also acknowledge the tremendous work that Allardyce did at the club during his time here. Apart from lifting the first team out of danger and into mid-table security - all on a shoestring budget, he also put a great deal of effort into the development of the younger players at the club. Academy players started doing sessions with the seniors and players were fast tracked from the Academy to the Reserve team with his encouragement. Hence the likes of Jones, Hanley and Morris all got opportunities that would have been denied them by previous regimes.

Whilst I accept that some may not appreciate the work that Allardyce did at this club, I suggest that in years to come his period at Ewood Park will be looked upon as fairly successful when the background in which he was working is taken into consideration.

Id make Nelsen the captain until the summer...after that we need to be looking to establish Jones in the centre of defence and hopefully either Samba or a new central defender.

I thought you thought Nelsen was rubbish and past it? :P

We don't seem to be saying anything contradictory to each other's posts.

I don't disagree about your version. However, it did leave out the part of Samba going to the press at a pretty awful time. Result - stripped captaincy, verdict - fair enough.

However, it does seem that groundless, overly opinionated speculation is getting a bad name here for some reason. Without such spewing forth of the ingenious and, more usually, churlish opinions there would be little point of having a Rovers Supporters' Board.

So...my version...

Samba has been itching for a move for sometime. Not that he is unhappy here, but simply as that is what most players with ambition do after a certain amount of time with us. With all this turmoil going on, he wanted to remind any bigger clubs that he was here, available and willing to move to a perceived higher plain, bereft of the knowledge that 95% of those who leave Rovers go on to become a steaming pile of crap.

He didn't want to burn any bridges, so no transfer request or any really arrogant gestures a la David Bentley. Oh, and besides, a transfer request would cost a lot of money.

So...where does that leave us? A Samba happy enough to stay at Rovers if no big club comes in for him, but he used the upheaval as a chance just to send out an SOS call.

Time to get him back concentrating on playing for Rovers. If a bid comes in that is worth what we value him at, get shot. He has been a good player for us but doesn't come close to us losing the likes of Bellamy, Cole, Bentley, Freidel, never mind going back to Duff and Shearer...

So...all's well that ends well. Nelsen back as captain. Samba back in the team. Remember...it's just a job to most of them, right?

do you really believe its a coincidence, that a SEM/kentaro client was hired as manager, even considering the fact, that he has been a client for some time..?

there could be other reasons.... but with the praise he got, from the no-fottball-knowledge owner, she must have had someone tell sweet things about kean, in hear night stories.

What's that?

Well, Sam and Macca went, so who's next in line? So, it is decided that Kean takes over for the time being - well that's fairly usual, someone has to steady the ship. He's been at the club for eighteen months, he has the necessary qualifications. He then flies over to India to see Mrs Desai and she is impressed and hands him the job until the end of the season. Yes, she would have spoken to Kentaro about him, but she would have spoken to whoever was his agent in any case, found out about him.

Parsonblue, I absolutely agree about Sam. He was available at short notice, he did what was required of him and more besides. I can't think of anyone else better for the job at the time. Most fans do, I am sure, more than appreciate what Sam did for Rovers.

Samba was team captain and had never mentioned anything about leaving at the time the takeover went through. Only after the sacking of a good manager for reasons that no-one at the time understood, did he say that "if that's the way the club is going to be run in the future, then I want away".

That isn't a transfer request in anyone's understanding.

The comments about Samba wanting away all year came from Steve Kean, via Samba's agent. So, facts:

Never been a transfer request.

Samba happy to stay.

Story about Samba wanting away all year came second hand from agent. Steve Kean knew nothing about this until agent told him.

If he wanted assurances about what was happening at the club then why was a journalist his first point of call?

Talk to the coaches, talk to the chairman, if need be pick up a phone and call India, because the people at the club are far more likely to know what's going on than the media.

If his worry was investment then why couldn't it have waited for Kean to get back from India? Same goes for if he wanted answers on who the manager was going to be.

His comments certainly didn't amount to a transfer request, but if you're looking for stability in the club then making public comments that only add to the uncertainty is more than a little self-defeating. Without trying to read anything more into it, he has been naive at best and personally I'll need another public sign from Samba before I'll be confident that this is just a misunderstanding.

Archived