BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - The Aftermath

CAPT KAYOS and roversrich wth you talking about..

Blimey give the chaps a break, will take 2 to 3 weeks too get too match fitness, not every player you purchase will be match fit immediatly.

Did you really expect a 22yr old playmaker signed from Argentina 4 days before the match, who has not played in 5 weeks too be ready?

Sure we are all desperate too see something nice happening at the club with the news/results of late, but rushing two young lads into premier league matches within 7 days of arriving is just plain madness, keamn is right too introduce him gently.

This is especially important for playmakers who need too both understand their teammates too get the passes right (i.e. understand how the stikers play so they know when too anticipate runs) and be understood by their teammates (too anticipate when too run).

Would like too see if as Kean says Rochina will be challenging for a starting spot.

Personally expect too see Formica at least on the bench for the Blackpool and maybe even Newcastle games.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest linganzi

We can all say I told you so, but a total crock who slagged us off ? Really? Who had been dismissed for those reasons under Sam ?

Rochina was clearly bought with a view to the future. At the end of the summer, Kalinic and Roberts would be our only permanent strikers. That said, he should get opportunities because each of our other forwards have their own issues. I would hope to see him on the bench before too long, I'm not a fan of Diouf.

Formica will have to be introduced slowly otherwise he will be written off as a failure from the start. I don't recall any other young South American midfielders being thrown into the middle of a Premiership season without some proper preparation doing so successfully. Similarly, I didn't see a lot of creative midfielders who *could* do so that were available at £3.5m.

The two players that were signed to go straight into the team have done so and given their injury records they were both perfectly sensible as loans. If they prove their long term fitness, they will be clear upgrades on what we already had. Jones is still that half a yard off but he will get better. Roque we know about.

But don't let any of that stop people using it as a stick to beat the new owners with because it seems more important to a few than supporting their team at present.

It is too early to judge the quality of the signings, my biggest gripe here is that of the four signings made, Roque and Jones have hardly played, Formica hasnt played for 5 weeks and Rochina is one for the future, so we strengthen our squad in the transfer window with players who are not quite ready or fully match fit?

Thats really not the point of the excercise and it could be that when these players are ready, we are in a relegation scrap and thats not an ideal way to introduce players either!

I have no problem bringing in Formica and Rochina for the future. Actually the complete opposite, I think it's the only way to have a sustainable future.

Where we seemed to have messed up is bringing two injury prone players on expensive loan deals. We should have been looking to play it safe with those two.

And I thought the Jan transfer Window was really more about bringing in people to help you out until the end of the season and the topic of discussion for this thread and the strengths of the signings.

Veevs - don't recall anybody saying they expected them to be ready - more a case of getting them involved because we certainly need them.

As Kelbo states, its not really the point of the exercise and never mind it being the right time to introduce as come the time it could be a case of too late or don't need (again) or required at that time.

Veevs - don't recall anybody saying they expected them to be ready - more a case of getting them involved because we certainly need them.

As Kelbo states, its not really the point of the exercise and never mind it being the right time to introduce as come the time it could be a case of too late or don't need (again) or required at that time.

All the posts below talk about having them "involved" and you yourself said "We need these players playing now" (though ozzie was more than likely joking), they are in training, Formica was training 1 on 1 on Sat, Rochina has played for the reserves.. how much more involved did people expect given the only game so far was 5 days after they landed.

If they are not ready, why have them on the bench?? Who would we drop, our backup keeper or a defender while being on a pitch that had the potential too cause injuries. Not too mention Wigan in Feb is not exactly the nicest place too go with their rubgy destroyed pitch and pouring rain and thats for us brits.

Yea how come we don't get to play our new signings and everyone else does?

Don't understand the young lads not being involved. Surely they would both benefit from being on the bench and being given 10/15 minutes depending on how things are going. It's not like the bench is crawling with quality. A 22 yr old lad with no injury worries should be able to cope with that.

I'm also a little disappointed not to see either of the deadline day signings at least named on the bench yet. Need to see glimpses of them soon I feel to give some hope that they can improve the squad and eliminate any thoughts that we've signed just another two "squad members". These niggling doubts/fears mostly stem from not having seen or heard much of them before we made a move to sign them and perhaps that's an unfair reason to doubt them.

Having had two defeats since they were signed doesn't help. The current team is looking increasingly incomplete and with new signings not getting a look in I have questions. I thought we were good against Tottenham and lacked that lethal touch in front of goal (Gomes undoubtedly was excellent but on the other hand we weren't good enough to beat him). In that situation, and with RSC out, I expected to see Rochina and/or Formica at least on the bench to add to that final threat in attack. I was disappointed to see neither and this was compounded by the defeat (although having scored three goals I can't overly criticise our finishing). I have doubts over J.Jones though as he should have been leading the defensive side the midfield's game and as a group, the midfield did not do enough to break up counters.

All irrelevant in my book TS .. and given the evidence on Saturday from the ' experienced players' it makes naff all difference.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread - I'm not into buying for the future and not playing them ( it never seems to happen that these players become the future) more of a case of getting them playing and give them the experience.

We need these players playing now - there has been far too much of this from Rovers and then nothing coming of it.

Only one way to learn - they need to get used to it and the only way of doing that is by playing.

Certainly fits with Kean/Roa comments of a marquee signing in summer, given they are targeting Brazil and Argentina cant see many other options.. Hulk and Vagner Love would be the only other two in possible range.. but not sure if either is classed as a marquee.

Certainly fits with Kean/Roa comments of a marquee signing in summer, given they are targeting Brazil and Argentina cant see many other options.. Hulk and Vagner Love would be the only other two in possible range.. but not sure if either is classed as a marquee.

Diego Forlan?

If true, it is also good that they are doign the donkey work now, with a view to getting the deal in place fro the summer, rather than runnign around chasing teh tail come the transfer window deadline. And, its nice to be linked with players fo that calibre, nevermind teh hothead, he is a top notch striker and knows where the back of the net is

I would love for us to sign Fabiano he would be a top signing and more realistic than goig for someone way out of bounds like Ronaldinho, but if he's on the market surely there will be clubs like Juve,Inter ect going for him aswell so it would be difficult to sign him

Rather cheeky comment in the Guardian:

Ever since purchasing £23m of prime Lancashire advertising space, known affectionately to locals as Blackburn Rovers, Venky's have been trying to work out how to get the best from their investment. The Indian poultry processors are, according to the Daily Mirror, "big in Brazil", so perhaps it was natural that the new owners' first move to increase their profile should be to bid for a big Brazilian. The main flaw with the January bid for Ronaldinho was an apparent decision to lodge it with journalists rather than the player's agent.

Perhaps they will have learned their lesson in time to make a better fist of a reported £10m move to sign Luís Fabiano in the summer. Or perhaps the fact it is being written about here means the job is already done.

Rather cheeky comment in the Guardian:

Ever since purchasing £23m of prime Lancashire advertising space, known affectionately to locals as Blackburn Rovers, Venky's have been trying to work out how to get the best from their investment. The Indian poultry processors are, according to the Daily Mirror, "big in Brazil", so perhaps it was natural that the new owners' first move to increase their profile should be to bid for a big Brazilian. The main flaw with the January bid for Ronaldinho was an apparent decision to lodge it with journalists rather than the player's agent.

Perhaps they will have learned their lesson in time to make a better fist of a reported £10m move to sign Luís Fabiano in the summer. Or perhaps the fact it is being written about here means the job is already done.

But could be true Philip, personally I am not a great lover of Brazilian footballers in the Premiership, very few seem to do well, when the chips are down, they are not the best battlers in the world.

Worth remembering that whom Rovers supporters consider marquee is secondary to what the target markets for the Venky's consider to be marquee.

I'm trying to think of it from Venky's point of view.

I don't think Fabiano is a big enough name to have any impact on the commercial side of things. To be honest, there aren't many around, and even less who are semi-realistic. I think only David Beckham and Thierry Henry fit into that category now that Ronaldinho is out of the picture. Maybe fat Ronaldo at a push?

Edit: Is Rivaldo too far past it? He's at Sao Paulo at the moment. His record still looks brilliant at every club he's been at though, he still seems to playing a lot of games and scoring a lot of goals. Who better for Formica to learn from? Scored in a brilliant performance on his Sao Paulo debut.

I'd want a younger, more hungry player for £10 million. He's not a big enough name to be 'marquee', I doubt he'd much of an impact in a commercial sense.

The number 1 striker for Brazil with an awesome record for them, in his prime, he'd be huge, I'm only surprised that 10 million is the asking price I would have thought 20 million would be nearer the price.

Edit- thought as much!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/8950962.stm

Whilst it may not be a hugh signing to the non-footballing world (your Beckham type player). For those with even the remotest interest in football; it'd certainly show that Venkys mean business and create publicity.

In Brazil I imagine Luis Fabiano is a household name as well (just a guess).

I'd want a younger, more hungry player for £10 million. He's not a big enough name to be 'marquee', I doubt he'd much of an impact in a commercial sense.

He keeps scoring in La Liga and plays for Brazil, not sure how much hungrier you want him to be with the next World Cup being in Brazil as well. We paid £7m for a 30 y.o. Andrew Cole and that was money well spent imo.

I'm trying to think of it from Venky's point of view.

I don't think Fabiano is a big enough name to have any impact on the commercial side of things. To be honest, there aren't many around, and even less who are semi-realistic. I think only David Beckham and Thierry Henry fit into that category now that Ronaldinho is out of the picture. Maybe fat Ronaldo at a push?

Edit: Is Rivaldo too far past it? He's at Sao Paulo at the moment. His record still looks brilliant at every club he's been at though, he still seems to playing a lot of games and scoring a lot of goals. Who better for Formica to learn from? Scored in a brilliant performance on his Sao Paulo debut.

Rivaldo at 38 is surely too old though? If you don't think a L. Fabiano still in his prime has the apetite, do you really think Rivaldo does?

Archived