BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of Wolves vs. Rovers; 22 May 2011.

• Backroom

Our man in the middle Howard Webb.

The others.

Clatenburg at Spurs

Dean at Man U

Marriner at Stoke

Few dodgy decision of late from Webb. :( Does he support the lashers?.

Seeing as we aren't playing one of the big four Webb is about the best it could be.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this game will be a game of nervous energy and full of negative football.

I beleive all eyes will be on the games at Stoke, Manure and Spurs. As soon as the first goal goes in against either blackpool or brum then only then will our game become open because it wont matter a jot.

I handed my ticket to my lad because I am doing a Tony greenbank, I am going to suffer at home, radio on, sky on, girlfriend and her dog wondering what all the fuss is about from 4pm until 6pm and all that.

the game is clearly one wolves will be looking to win but as we saw at Ewood, theya re a team that can implode very easily.

Rovers to take a very edgy point, the lashers and brum to take the drop !!

My bookies score predictions

Man u 4-0 Lashers

Stoke 1-2 Pie eaters

Spuds 3-0 big club

Wolves 1-1 Rovers

There is no reason at all for Rovers to play safe, defensive tactics in this game. Playing for a point won't help us do anything except stay in front of Wolves. If the other teams win, a draw or a defeat will have the same effect: we get relegated.

I reckon Kean will go for it from the off because, literally, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain by securing three points.

On another matter, what's the recommended parking situation for a car down there? Any ideas?

I seem to recall an asda right next to the ground?

Our man in the middle Howard Webb.

The others.

Clatenburg at Spurs

Dean at Man U

Marriner at Stoke

Few dodgy decision of late from Webb. :( Does he support the lashers?.

s**** webb! :( the man hates us.. (just look at his history with us) :(

he's a united fan (he says rotherham.. but he doesnt fool me).

dean at united is worrying too... scouser (well wirral) may want to spoil united's party... if give half a chance ??

great preview too

I know there is a divergance of opinion on the best formation to try and secure a win but nevertheless it has to be treated as a "must win" game.

A draw earns us 750k for finishing above Wolves but in terms of finishing out of the relegation positions it is of no relevance whatsoever unless two teams below us win and one doesn't.

Any other possible combination of results sees us lose and stay up anyway or go down because all three below us have won.

I would only be content with keeping it tight and playing for a point for the extra 750k if one of the 3 teams on 39 points were at least three goals down with about half an hour to go.

Remember Wolves can't really treat it as "a draw will do". They'll have to go for it initially so we have to fight fire with fire.

I know there is a divergance of opinion on the best formation to try and secure a win but nevertheless it has to be treated as a "must win" game.

Yes and that's something Kean hasn't had to do yet. Previously he's been able to set up to get at least a draw and hope we could get the win. This time he has to set up for the win.

Is he up to it? Like I said, we'll get a better idea of how good Kean is after this game.

Givet can go to his favoured position at CB. We can just about cover Samba being out.

If we do go down it'll come about from the most remarkable premiership day ever.

The Man Utd, Spurs and Stoke games are all on sky. Slightly relieved that we werent chosen to be honest.

After today's press there has to be no chance that Givet will play. So if Samba is out we are looking at Salgado, Jones, Hanley, Olsson.....! It;s crucial that Samba is fit.

If Samba is out and Dunn on the bench I wonder if they will give the armband to P Jones or Robinson?

Yes and that's something Kean hasn't had to do yet. Previously he's been able to set up to get at least a draw and hope we could get the win. This time he has to set up for the win.

Is he up to it? Like I said, we'll get a better idea of how good Kean is after this game.

Bolton at home.

I believe that was a must win game. And we won it.

We've played well recently and Kean deserves credit where its due. He got us into this mess and it seems like he'll get us out of it. I personally prefer how he's setting up the side to how Allardyce did. Our problem is the lack of a goalscorer.

I dont think the result at Wolves will matter. Not that we shouldnt go for a win, but in reality 40 points should be enough already.

Bolton at home.

I believe that was a must win game. And we won it.

We've played well recently and Kean deserves credit where its due. He got us into this mess and it seems like he'll get us out of it. I personally prefer how he's setting up the side to how Allardyce did. Our problem is the lack of a goalscorer.

I dont think the result at Wolves will matter. Not that we shouldnt go for a win, but in reality 40 points should be enough already.

No it was magicalmorten. We couldn't have been relegated that day, whatever the result. This is totally different. He has to set up a side that can score goals, while at the same time not get caught out on the break. IHe has to have it in his mind, that we simply must win this game. He's managed that only once this year.

It will take a tremendous effort to win at Wolves. If we do that, then he'll deserve credit for that - even though he got us in this position in the first place.

No it was magicalmorten. We couldn't have been relegated that day, whatever the result. This is totally different. He has to set up a side that can score goals, while at the same time not get caught out on the break. IHe has to have it in his mind, that we simply must win this game. He's managed that only once this year.

It will take a tremendous effort to win at Wolves. If we do that, then he'll deserve credit for that - even though he got us in this position in the first place.

If we lose to Wolves but still stay up, that means Bolton was a must win as without it, we would have been relegated.

It takes something (I don't know what) to arrest such a poor run of form with some good performances.

He is an idiot for drink driving. But so was Graeme Swann (amongst others) but I didn't want him dropped from the England side. He's not a young lad either.

If we do sack him, I really do worry who would replace him. Who is our first team coach at the nomen? It could be him they choose!

First of all, we DONT have to win at Wolves. A draw at Wolves should be enough. Even a defeat will probably still see us safe.

Secondly, the Bolton game was far more of a must win. A defeat or a draw wasn't enough under any circumstances.

After beating Bolton and drawing against West Ham and Man Utd, I think that Kean has shown that, under pressure, he can cope. I dont know whether he's the man to take us any further but he's done well to turn the team around over the past month or so. He deserves some credit for that.

As Revidge has pointed out, Wolves have an even tougher attack for a win or protect a draw dilemma than we have.

They can afford even to lose to us by one goal and still survive on goals scored if Brum draw and the other results go their way.

However, if Brum, Blackpool and Wigan all draw, for every additional goal winning margin we achieve, Wolves then drop by a place. That must be a scary thought for them given that when we have beaten Wolves in recent seasons, it has tended to be by a large margin.

I don't think he's achieved a completed turn around in the last couple of months yet but he most certainly did in Jan/Feb/Mar.

Undoubtedly he took us several steps backwards during those months but I doubt many people expected him to get the results we managed to get since. That doesn't absolve him from blame, far from it, but its worthy of a degree of credit. The point at the Emirates, the win against Bolton and the draw against Utd appear to have kept us up.

After today's press there has to be no chance that Givet will play. So if Samba is out we are looking at Salgado, Jones, Hanley, Olsson.....! It;s crucial that Samba is fit.

If Samba is out and Dunn on the bench I wonder if they will give the armband to P Jones or Robinson?

Why - Givet gave this interview himself - so one would assume he was aware it would come out in the press - and would hopefully be in the right frame of mind to play. Why else wouldn't he be able to play ?

First of all, we DONT have to win at Wolves. A draw at Wolves should be enough. Even a defeat will probably still see us safe.

Jeez, I know that! The point I'm making is that Kean must set us up for a win. He hasn't, at any time, had to do that before. This is different.

Jeez, I know that! The point I'm making is that Kean must set us up for a win. He hasn't, at any time, had to do that before. This is different.

Bolton...at home....we had to win....he set us up to win....

we won.

He has done this before. Thats the point. The Bolton game was more must win than this one and we won the game.

Undoubtedly he took us several steps backwards during those months but I doubt many people expected him to get the results we managed to get since. That doesn't absolve him from blame, far from it, but its worthy of a degree of credit. The point at the Emirates, the win against Bolton and the draw against Utd appear to have kept us up.

Cherry picking a couple of results to demonstrate that Kean is improving is a little deceptive. He has zero history in football and therefore his record and achievements can be more accurately viewed as a whole this year. It is not so long ago that we capitulated at Everton.

Draw your own conclusions, but for me the most interesting statistics are the lack of goals scored, immediately belying the scripted spin / myth that we have played free-flowing, attractive, pass and move football under this manager. The lack of clean sheets achieved clearly shows we have been exposed at the back as well.

DLWLWLWLLDLLDDDLLWDD

19 points from 20 games @ 0.95 points per game, equating to 36.1 points over a season.

1) 10 home games - 33 points - achieved - 14

2) 9 away games - 27 points - achieved - 5

3) Failed to score in 7 matches in total.

4) Failed to score in 4 home matches.

5) Kept 4 clean sheets only from 20 games.

6) Scored 21 goals in 20 matches.

7) Conceded 30 goals in 20 matches.

8) Scored 10 goals away in 9 matches.

Archived