BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of Wolves vs. Rovers; 22 May 2011.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But we didn't have to beat Bolton because we could still have beat Wolves. :blink:

Yes we did have to beat Bolton because a draw against them and a win against Wolves would still only give us 41 points.

It's the same as saying that a point on Sunday for 41 points is sufficient. It probably will be but it might not be.

I think if we stay up (and it is more likely than not) then some people will have to give Kean some credit.

Let's not forget this is his first managerial job and, admittedly, a learning process that should probably not have been in the Premiership.

Despite this, he has delivered performances (not always results) when it is has mattered.

The tactics against Arsenal and United were spot-on, from somebody who others claim to be tactically inept.

He can be largely attributed with the development of Olsson and Hoilett and the signings of JJ and Rochina appear to have been good business.

He has a positive approach in post-match interviews; not in the Wenger/Ferguson mould of blaming the officials for any shortcomings.

I, personally, would like to see him in charge next season.

Anyway, good preview m1st.

How many on this site were at Wolves when I was, when Jimmy Quinn scored a hat trick - on his debut was it? Well I think he scored three - and I think it was a hat trick.

I think if we stay up (and it is more likely than not) then some people will have to give Kean some credit.

Let's not forget this is his first managerial job and, admittedly, a learning process that should probably not have been in the Premiership.

Despite this, he has delivered performances (not always results) when it is has mattered.

The tactics against Arsenal and United were spot-on, from somebody who others claim to be tactically inept.

He can be largely attributed with the development of Olsson and Hoilett and the signings of JJ and Rochina appear to have been good business.

He has a realistic approach in post-match interviews; not in the Wenger/Ferguson mould of blaming the officials for any shortcomings.

He may get some credit but that will be overshadowed by his shocking record as manager. I think many fans, myself included hope you are wrong about Kean being in charge next season. If he stays I only see a repeat performance of our struggles in the league.

If Doyle is out it's a boost for Rovers as I do rate him, he's very good in that lone striker role. Wolves still have plenty of threats though as seen with their six goals in their last two games and Fletcher in particular starting to find some form at the right time.

Anyway, good preview m1st.

How many on this site were at Wolves when I was, when Jimmy Quinn scored a hat trick - on his debut was it? Well I think he scored three - and I think it was a hat trick.

Just the two that day Den.

gallery_1768_26_80648.jpg

If we lost the Bolton game we still had matches to put things right. Lose at Wolves on Sunday and if results conspire against us, then there's no games left to change things.

Will Kean cope if say during Saturdays game he gets told, ###### we're in the bottom three? At no point in the Bolton game was our future decided at Wolves it will be and if we are behind in that game our future will not be in our hands. People are right to say he's never been in this type of pressure situation before, because he hasn't as the man pulling the strings. As a number two surely at Fulham he's been here before, but it's never the same when your 'the man'.

Thats the problem, Kean, even if he sets the team up correctly, he isnt able to change things around, against Man U, after the equaliser, things were pretty easy as in a normal game, United would have gone for the jugular, they didnt need to and neither did we, so both teams played out the draw and got a point each!

Wolves will be so different, we cant take half time scores or latest scores as the bible, games can change in a few minutes, so both Wolves and ourselves really have to play to win the game to be sure of retaining Premier League status, if Wolves go in front, has Kean enough in his box to be able to react? previous performances in those situations show he hasnt and the predictable 60 minute substitutions seem to prevail.

We need to have a bench full of Options, that is so important should we wish to change things, watching the resssies, this is not a game for Formica, he is technically gifted but lightweight, I think he would struggle in a relegation battle until he comes to speed with the premier league, Jason Lowe looks as though he is almost there and he would be on the bench for me, first time for a while we really have a promising home grown midfielder.

I don't know how you do that so quick Ozz. :tu:

So yeah, three nil, but only two to Jimmy Quinn. It was his debut as well.

Heard a story from a workmate who lived near Quinn. That evening he arrived home late and drunk. Shouting in the street about his wife - "best day of my life and she's bloody nagging me". He wasn't happy.

I don't know how you do that so quick Ozz. :tu:

So yeah, three nil, but only two to Jimmy Quinn. It was his debut as well.

Heard a story from a workmate who lived near Quinn. That evening he arrived home late and drunk. Shouting in the street about his wife - "best day of my life and she's bloody nagging me". He wasn't happy.

It was already in the thread in the olden days section, here. I remember the goals going in like it was yesterday.

Quinn scored for Swindon against us in the FA cup, and we ended up signing him for £32K, which was massive money for Rovers then. I also remember both him and Noel playing for Northern Ireland against England, and Jimmy scored. Was really chuffed that night.

It was already in the thread in the olden days section, here. I remember the goals going in like it was yesterday.

Quinn scored for Swindon against us in the FA cup, and we ended up signing him for £32K, which was massive money for Rovers then. I also remember both him and Noel playing for Northern Ireland against England, and Jimmy scored. Was really chuffed that night.

Yeah, I was at Swindon that day as well. Jimmy Quinn had a lot going for him as a centre forward. Great in the air, good with both feet and could score goals. What he didn't have was pace. The boo boys at Ewood turned on him though and to be honest, I can't really remember why [i assume he just lost it].

He has a realistic approach in post-match interviews; not in the Wenger/Ferguson mould of blaming the officials for any shortcomings.

I agree with some of that. He has done well in the United and Arsenal games and has shown some signs of improvement in recent weeks. Maybe he could make a decent manager some day. I also agree that he shouldn't be going through the managerial learning process in the Premiership. The same applies next season, for both ours and his own good he needs to be working at a lower level. The inexperience has been more apparent in the lack of points against the lower sides in the division. It is good to pick up points against the big teams and those 2 points gained are looking very precious, but we wouldn't have needed those 2 points had he picked up just a couple of wins against the teams in and around us. He needs to learn how to create a winning team, not a drawing team. The players are working hard and he deserves credit for engendering that ethos, but it is not enough to win you games. If you look at the experienced managers, they pick up points from the teams near the bottom and see any points picked up against the big boys as a bonus. Sam Allardyce was an expert at this and the victories he scored against the likes of Wolves, Newcastle and Blackpool are the reason we are likely to stay in this league. The recent alcohol exploits of Mr. Kean would also suggest that he is not coping in the big time yet and his pressers would also suggest this. This leads me into the bit of your post that I absolutely disagree with 'he has a realistic approach in post-match interviews'. What? He is the most deluded manager in premierleague history! It is mostly his idiocy in-front of the media that has led to him being hated by fans and ridiculed in the press. He is so detached from reality it is unbelievable! For example, this rubbish he spouts about 'positive results' regardless of whatever question the interviewer has asked him, his inability to answer any awkward questions and his relentless use of football cliches. Then there was the famous 'we dominated the first half' against Everton bull. Add to that the subterfuge re. Formica ('he will be ready in a couple of weeks....he is the new Batistuta) and the idiocy re. Myles Anderson ('late developer like Smalling'...who cannot get into the Aberdeen team). For me, he is constantly trying to justify his appointment and prove his ability by lying to the media. He forgets that not all football fans are totally gullible. It is nice that he doesn't seem to criticise referees too much, but it has never really done the likes of Ferguson and Wenger much harm.

I absolutely disagree with 'he has a realistic approach in post-match interviews'. What? He is the most deluded manager in premierleague history! It is mostly his idiocy in-front of the media that has led to him being hated by fans and ridiculed in the press. He is so detached from reality it is unbelievable! For example, this rubbish he spouts about 'positive results' regardless of whatever question the interviewer has asked him, his inability to answer any awkward questions and his relentless use of football cliches. Then there was the famous 'we dominated the first half' against Everton bull. Add to that the subterfuge re. Formica ('he will be ready in a couple of weeks....he is the new Batistuta) and the idiocy re. Myles Anderson ('late developer like Smalling'...who cannot get into the Aberdeen team). For me, he is constantly trying to justify his appointment and prove his ability by lying to the media. He forgets that not all football fans are totally gullible. It is nice that he doesn't seem to criticise referees too much, but it has never really done the likes of Ferguson and Wenger much harm.

In hindsight, the I should have used the word 'positive' as opposed to 'realistic'.

It might have looked like I was impressed with his handling of the media in its entirety, which is not the case.

I meant that it is refreshing to see a manager look beyond the mistakes of the referee in his assessment of the game.

I can think of many managers who would have more of a fuss about that penalty at home to Blackpool.

I can think of many managers who would have more of a fuss about that penalty at home to Blackpool.

Which IMO is employed by the players who seem to be hounding and complaining to the referees less than before. Even Roberts have been moaning less than before. I've had many coaches who was very clear that it was no point complaining and risking to get a yellow (like salgado on saturday). Just forget it and get on with your job!

Add to that the subterfuge re. Formica ('he will be ready in a couple of weeks....he is the new Batistuta) and the idiocy re. Myles Anderson ('late developer like Smalling'...who cannot get into the Aberdeen team). For me, he is constantly trying to justify his appointment and prove his ability by lying to the media. He forgets that not all football fans are totally gullible. It is nice that he doesn't seem to criticise referees too much, but it has never really done the likes of Ferguson and Wenger much harm.

Clearly he did not understand the transfer market judging by his comments during the window - to be fair he admitted that himself (he was not aware how long transfers took etc to be completed).

Also thought his comments on the assistant manager appointment were pretty bizarre.

Learning process....

1 SOCCER Wolves Nightlead

MORGAN: WE'RE ALL IN IT TOGETHER

By John Curtis, Press Association Sport

Club owner Steve Morgan is set to deliver an impassioned dressing room message of support to the Wolves players before Sunday's relegation clash with Blackburn at Molineux.

Mick McCarthy's side are currently one point clear of the Barclays Premier League bottom three, meaning only victory will ensure they do not have to worry about the outcome of results elsewhere involving Wigan, Blackpool and Birmingham.

Morgan has addressed the dressing room already this season ahead of the games with Birmingham and West Brom.

And he said: ``You might see me do it on Sunday. The lads do not need me to tell them how important it is.

``But it's important for them to know we're all together and myself and the other directors are kicking every ball with them.

``It will just be to say 'we are all with you and we know how important it is'.

``I just want the lads to know we're all in it together and I wish I was young enough and good enough to do what they're doing.''

McCarthy does not expect to repeat last season's £18million spending spree if Wolves stay - a view endorsed by Morgan.

He said: ``Mick will have money to spend next year but I don't think we're in a position where we need to spend that much again.

``You can bring in too many players. We possibly made that mistake after coming up. You can bring in one or two but to bring in six, seven or eight can be difficult.''

Morgan also dropped a large hint McCarthy will remain as manager even if the club are relegated, stressing the need for stability.

Morgan said: ``You never give the dreaded vote of confidence but Mick has been here for five years and I don't believe you get any progress at all by chopping and changing.

``Chopping and changing has happened in other clubs and what good has it done them? I know Mick has made progress every year since I've been here.

``There are times in life when things don't go right but you've got to get back up and stand together and make sure you get it right next time. The fans have seen that, they've got behind the club and everyone benefits from it.''

Morgan is aware of the importance of Sunday's game as Wolves look to guarantee a third successive year of top-flight football.

He said: ``I'm nervous but confident. It's a huge game for the club on Sunday. It's our cup final.

``But the last time we played Blackburn in a cup final was 1960 and we won the FA Cup! There will be no silverware this time but it will be nice to come away with assured Premier League status.

``The prize is certainly greater financially than in 1960. The stakes couldn't be bigger really.''end

Here's an interesting comparison on www.statto.com. Go to Stats and Premier League. Then select vs top half and vs bottom half. Obviously you can't play yourself but... Rovers are woeful against the top 10 (bottom of the league) and 8th in the league against the bottom 9 with one game to go. You can also look at the home and away record against both halves of the table. We are marginally better AWAY from home against the bottom half of the table (I should have said in terms of league position not points). I know it doesn't mean much but that has to give you a little bit of confidence going into Sunday...

Take a look here...

Here goes my 'two penneth worth' for the game Jermaine Jones and Steven NZonzi nail that what does that mean? Henry and whoever his partner is in the centre of Wolves midfield.

Salgado nails that Jarvis if hes on his side.

Ladies and Gents, boys and girls, then the gates to victory will open up for us

ENJOY ! :D

Arte et labore and keep that blue flag flying high. :brfc:

Archived