BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

(S) Robbie Keane

Neal

If we were pulling out all the stops to bring him here, he would be here by now.

Maybe he has been?

Reports on spud board that his car was at our ground yesterday, his number plate starts N17 .....

Anyone around the ground yesterday?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he has been?

Reports on spud board that his car was at our ground yesterday, his number plate starts N17 .....

Anyone around the ground yesterday?

I meant signed him. Spurs don't want him, wouldn't be that hard to pull this deal off if we were indeed "pulling out all the stops"

Fulham are also interested and would pay his £65k a week wages

Not sure £4/5m is that over priced in todays market

He is proven goalscorer looked back to his best for the Republic the other week and if we were to get him he would score 10+ league goals a season.

Plus his a leader on the pitch

I say match whatever Fulham offer and get him in

To hell with today's market and the inflated price of has-beens. It would not be worth it, to our club, to invest the 10 million or so (maybe more) in fees and wages you'd expect this deal to cost us, that's what matters. It would be a more sensible piece of business to gamble on a younger player at about the same price with far smaller wages, because Keane is virtually guaranteed to not return our investment. He would cost what he would in fees and wages because of how good he used to be. At his age, you have to buy a player on the basis of how good they are NOW, not on past glories.

This is the last time I intend to repeat myself on this, but Keane does NOT guarantee ten goals a season. Last season he scored 3 in 20, less than Roberts, and less per game than Roberts. Comparing even less favourably if you just look at league goals. Anybody who watches can see his legs are going. That won't improve.

How many times did Keane start a match though Bruce?

Well, annoyingly, those figures are harder to come by and I can't find them. However, I can tell you that Roberts hardly started every game either. Looking at both club websites, I've found that Spurs' says Keane actually played 23 games, not the 20 I stated. And Roberts made only 14 starts, 13 sub appearances. From that one can assume that Roberts' goals per minute ratio will be better than Keane's. And even if it isn't...I'm only comparing him to friggin Roberts here. If you're not somebody who is comfortably outscoring Roberts, you're not somebody we should be throwing 10+ mill at.

How many times did Keane start a match though Bruce?

At WHU started five and four sub appearances spuds 7 appearances not sure on starts. He missed quite a bit of the second half of the season with injury if I remember correctly.

Edit another site tells me he started 7 in total, 712min of football. 2 goals 1 assist, the clubs conceding 15 goals in those games, most probably while he was at WHU.

The previous season, 1151min 6goals 2 assists.

Well, annoyingly, those figures are harder to come by and I can't find them. However, I can tell you that Roberts hardly started every game either. Looking at both club websites, I've found that Spurs' says Keane actually played 23 games, not the 20 I stated. And Roberts made only 14 starts, 13 sub appearances. From that one can assume that Roberts' goals per minute ratio will be better than Keane's. And even if it isn't...I'm only comparing him to friggin Roberts here. If you're not somebody who is comfortably outscoring Roberts, you're not somebody we should be throwing 10+ mill at.

Keane only started 7 Prem games last season 2 for spud and 5 for west ham, remember though he wasn't wanted at spurs and went to a very poor west ham team.

For te RoI in his last 10 games since May'10 he has scored 10 goals!

If his loved he scores goals, FACT!

At WHU started five and four sub appearances spuds 7 appearances not sure on starts. He missed quite a bit of the second half of the season with injury if I remember correctly.

Actually 7 at Spurs is just the league games (no goals there). He also appeared in a League Cup game where he scored, and five European games (no goals). According to the Spurs site.

Alright, let's be nice and even completely ignore his awful time at Spurs last season, just considering Wham. Sub appearances relative to starts is similar for both players so we will just remove the sub appearances. So we will just look at starts:

Keane- 5 starts, 2 goals. Goal every 2.5 starts.

Roberts- 14 starts, 5 goals. Goal every 2.8 starts.

So, completely removing Keane's awful one goal in thirteen appearances spell at Tottenham, you manage to drag out a very small advantage for him over the mighty Jason Roberts. In a shorter period (easier to sustain an average over a short period). That's somebody worth sinking 10 million into with no re-sale value? Come on. I also personally feel Roberts brings more to the team beyond goals than Keane does these days, but that's subjective.

Keane only started 7 Prem games last season 2 for spud and 5 for west ham, remember though he wasn't wanted at spurs and went to a very poor west ham team.

For te RoI in his last 10 games since May'10 he has scored 10 goals!

If his loved he scores goals, FACT!

So he missed all those sitters for West Ham because he wasn't loved? And because West Ham were too poor to put it on a plate for him?

I don't care about his Ireland scoring record, the quality of opposition changes hugely from game to game in international football.

Actually 7 at Spurs is just the league games (no goals there). He also appeared in a League Cup game where he scored, and five European games (no goals). According to the Spurs site.

Alright, let's be nice and even completely ignore his awful time at Spurs last season, just considering Wham. Sub appearances relative to starts is similar for both players so we will just remove the sub appearances. So we will just look at starts:

Keane- 5 starts, 2 goals. Goal every 2.5 starts.

Roberts- 14 starts, 5 goals. Goal every 2.8 starts.

So, completely removing Keane's awful one goal in thirteen appearances spell at Tottenham, you manage to drag out a very small advantage for him over the mighty Jason Roberts. In a shorter period (easier to sustain an average over a short period). That's somebody worth sinking 10 million into with no re-sale value? Come on. I also personally feel Roberts brings more to the team beyond goals than Keane does these days, but that's subjective.

So he missed all those sitters for West Ham because he wasn't loved? And because West Ham were too poor to put it on a plate for him?

I don't care about his Ireland scoring record, the quality of opposition changes hugely from game to game in international football.

I don't need convincing and I thought the debate was regarding PL starts so that is what I posted. :P

I don't need convincing and I thought the debate was regarding PL starts so that is what I posted. :P

Sorry split, that wasn't particularly addressed at you, more at TheNews and others who still seem to think it's a good idea. I quoted you because you posted an incomplete stat (just league appearances for Spurs, not including cup or European).

Who can tell nowadays white? Some crazy signatures being made, look at Sunderland & Liverpool, Gambling massively!

Sunderland more so than Liverpool, I think they are deluding themselves into believing they are a huge club by spending all that money on possible future talent like Wickham, they should be spending that sort of money on proven players, not maybe's. I reckon they'll be in big trouble next season...

(sorry to go off topic)

I think Sunderland have actually bought quite well. They seem to have added some decent players to their team.

agreed, ricky. seems theyve been wise in re-investing the henderson money. im still amazed LFC and kenny wanted him! :lol:

wouldnt surprise me if s'land got keane. especially seeing as quinn used to partner him.

Archived