BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] MATCH PREVIEW: Rovers vs Wolves

:brfc: Finally, lets get this show on the road. :brfc:

As I sit here in front of sky sports news wondering what to write for my first ever preview I find it difficult to concentrate purely on Saturdays game and not to reflect on what has probably been the weirdest summer in Rovers history. The messageboard has been in overdrive with the "transfer chat" ranging from sensible debates to out and out bunfights.

If your reading this now, you're taking a break from it all now and concentrating solely on what everybody with a connection with Blackburn Rovers should be thinking about now - going home happy at 5 oclock on Saturday.

I don't think anyone can grumble much about our draw for the opening fixture; it's at home, you can watch it for 15 quid and it's not Villa. Ticks all the boxes for me. Wolves, not unlike Rovers, are one of those teams that have had their ups and downs throughout history, winning some trophies and doing their stint in "the wilderness". Here's a brief history of the club:

1877: Club formed as St Lukes FC

1889: Moved from Dudley Road ground to Molineux

1908: Caused a major upset by defeating Newcastle Utd 3-1 in the FA Cup Final

1954: Beat the mighty Honved 3-2 in one of the most talked about friendlies of all time. The Honved side contained the nucleus of the Hungarian team which had previously crushed England 6-3 and 7-1.

1960: Won the FA Cup by defeating Rovers 3-0 in the final. Failed to do the league and cup double losing out by one point to…. Burnley

1979: Broke the British transfer record by buying Andy Gray from Aston Villa for 1.469 million.

1982: Relegated to the second division and declared bankrupt.

1986: Relegated 3 times in succession (1984,85 & 86), Wolves languish in the 4th Division and are declared bankrupt… again.

1990: Sir Jack Hayward buys the club.

1993: The “New” Molineux stadium is completed.

1999: Robbie Keane becomes the most expensive teenager in Britain as he leaves Wolves to join Coventry for £6m

2003: Promoted to the premier league for the first time.

2004: Relegated from the premier league after just one season.

2006: Mick McCarthy takes over.

2007: Steve Morgan buys the club for £10 on the condition that he invest a minimum of £30m (why didn’t we think of that…)

2009: Promoted back to the premier league as champions

I asked a good fried of mine, Maurice, if he fancied answering a few questions about Saturdays game to get the viewpoint from the other side, here's a quick Q&A:

1. What are your aspirations for the season ahead? Will you just be happy with 17th or do you think you can do better this season?

*Having got two Premiership seasons under their belt I hope that the largely intact squad will use their experience to climb to the dizzy heights of mid-table.

2. Your current owner bought your club for a tenner, are you happy with what he’s done with the club? Good chairman?

We can have no complaints – he’s made money available to the manager, the club is financially sound and he is overseeing a full ground redevelopment.

3. Wolves have made a few signings in the close season, most notably Roger Johnson – overall, are you happy with the comings and goings?

I think we could do with another defender and a defensive midfielder - I would be happy to take Samba on loan for the season! We haven’t lost any key players, plus one or two youngsters have come through in pre-season so the squad is improving despite a lack of “stars”.

4. Where do you think current Wolves team weaknesses lie?

Defensive frailties showed up last season and with only Roger Johnson added there could be problems. So many points were lost in the last few minutes that concentration levels must improve.

5. What do you think of Rovers chances this season?

The jury is out on whether Kean has the skills to motivate the team, and the loss of Jones, Jones and Samba will make a difference. On that basis I think it will be a difficult season.

6. Any player you particularly fear?

No, I don’t think so.

7. Keith Andrews was a product of your academy, have you got anything to say for yourself?

He’s managed to live up to the lack of potential he showed as a youngster.

8. Do you want him back? He could be your “Marquee Signing” ....

We like a challenge but trying to turn him into a footballer would be too big a challenge, thanks

9. In all seriousness though, what do you think the score will be?

An entertaining 2 – 2.

So there you have it, I'm not going to make a prediction myself but one thing I do know is I'll feel a whole lot better if Samba is passed fit (better still if he's still our player). Not sure if Keane will blood our new boys yet in the starting line up but I can see them starting on the bench, other than that who knows what this guy thinks? All I know is come 3 o'clock nothing will matter, just the football and for that I'm thankful.

Bring it on.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having looked forward , to the 1st game of the season for the last 42 years , this one I am not . I hope it is off , can only see a defeat with the personnel ,we will have on the field....No Samba , no Nelsen plus the players we have lost, Jason up front , a recipe for disaster ..Interesting preview though and I hope we win well ,but I just cannae see it !!

So what's the team going to be? I would go for this:-

--------------Robinson

Salgado---Hanley---Givet----Olsson

-------------Nzonzi----Grella

----Emerton--Formica---Hoilett

------------------Roberts

Verdict is:-

GK:- Very good, amongst top five in prem

Defence:- without Nelsen and Samba it looks poor. If they were available it would be quite good. Anyhow we clearly we really need to buy a centrehalf one way or the other.

Defensive Midfield:- If Grella is actually fit it looks okay. If he isn't the again it is poor. Hoilett and Emerton can defend reasonably well so that helps, but no doubting we will miss Jones. Heartingly Nzonzi looked hugely better the last six games. Petrovic (at least for me) is a complete unkown and unlikely to play.

Attacking midfield:- Hoilett terrorizing down the left with Olsson on the overlap is probably as effective a Rover's weapon as we have seen since Shearer's heyday. On the other hand Formica is an unknown quantity and Emerton a simple straightforward winger (although he did have a great end to last season).

Striker:- Roberts has had a storming preseason but we really really really need someone better. Goodwillie - while one for the future - is no that man.

Personally I believe we are better than people are inclined to say - mainly because Hoilett is just frighteningly effective. However if he get injured and Formica/Rochina/Goodwillie/AN Other don't step up we are screwed.

Gut feel is quite confident of a Rover's victory on Sat I have to say - provided the depleted defence does not fall apart.

Id like to see Hoilett, Formica and Rochina starting. If we play with Nzonzi and Grella then those three can all be accommodated.

CB pairing of Hanley and Givet looks scary. Got a bad feeling we're going to have to score 3/4 to win but who knows. Of all the teams to start against, Wolves is probably the best. They havent really strengthened, aren't going to be more 'up for it' than us unlike a newly promoted team and man for man I reckon we have the better side.

3-1. Roberts, Hoilett and Goodwillie.

We couldn't possibly be playing Wolves at a worse time with all our uncertainties, injuries and lack of signings capable of stepping in from day 1 and making an impact.

At least we are not playing one of the big boys.

I think we will get spanked by at least two goals and Wolves will exact their retribution for the last day of the season - it's funny how these things always seem to work out !

I fear Ewood will be very hostile towards the end of the match and Venky's and Kean will be left in no doubt as to what the supporters think about them. Pent-up emotions from last season have never, so widely, been so high.

Just on the Hoilett position situation, I think his best position is just behind the striker, himself and Roberts tore Wolves apart in the first half of the last game of last season

3-1 rovers win . I think the teams fantastic togetherness will see them win comfortably . I cannot wait for Saturday and have feeling a lot of people are gunna be eating humble pie . Oh and by the the way let's just get behind the team and stop all this trolling of the club because quiet frankly im just about sick and tired of it.

Good preview, SMcS, thanks. I'd hate to have had the first match of the season for my first preview, specially when we're no real idea of what team we're putting out, specially at the back.

I agree with magicalmorten; on paper, we could hardly ask for a better opening game. I'm clinging to the fact that they have never won a Premier League point at Ewood and think we'll win but not sure by how many.

The team I'd like to see us start with is [not necessarily in this formation]:

Robinson;

Salgado, Givet, Hanley, Olsson;

Nzonzi, Formica, Hoilett;

Goodwillie, Rochina;

Roberts.

Subs: Bunn; Emerton, a last-minute centre-half signing, Grella [if fit], Dunn, Gamst, Blackman.

PS: I like your pal's sense of humour!

Well here we go again folks! :rover:

Are we realistically any stronger than the last time we played Wolves?....many would say NO!.I feel very let down by the Roa's,they promised but have failed to deliver.

This will be a tough game and opening day fixtures I tend not to bother with on the coupon because you tend to get some odd ball results.

1-0 Rovers Roberts!

Att 21,300

P.S.

For the lapsed supporter.....staying away wont do the club or you any good.

Nice preview snatch.

Here's hoping diamonds are not forever. We will get a stuffing if they are.

As it is we will need the blessing of lady luck to get a win out of this one, we are so desperately short of fit players at the back.

http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/laptv/the-big-question/blackburn-wigan-and-swansea-tipped-for-the-drop/?

around 4 minutes Martin Lipton claims we cant possbily stay up

we have the worst team

we have the worst squad

the worst leadership

and are the worst club !!

How dare he say that about such a proud club I have just found him on twitter and will not let it drop any one else want to voice there disgust get on his twitter

cant wait for sat one thing is for sure we have great fans !!!!

Some real odd ball and outlandish comments from the media at the moment..we have the worst squad? :blink:

Looks like they'll be a dancing on our grave should we go down.

lets hope the lads go out on the pitch on sat and prove them wrong if we play anything like we did in the first half against wolves last season it should be a great season, keep the faith :brfcsmilie:

So what's the team going to be? I would go for this:-

--------------Robinson

Salgado---Hanley---Givet----Olsson

-------------Nzonzi----Grella

----Emerton--Formica---Hoilett

------------------Roberts

Personally I'd swap Formica for Dunn or Pedersen, otherwise I agree entirely.

Obviously I see that as Formica's position over the course of the season, but with senior players missing in defence I'd go with experienced players on the opening day, especially against a robust team like Wolves.

Some real odd ball and outlandish comments from the media at the moment..we have the worst squad? :blink:

Looks like they'll be a dancing on our grave should we go down.

We're a bandwagon for the media at present. Now they can't label us "Dirty Rovers", they've got to find another stick to beat us with. Let's hope the shirt-sponsorship deal cuts us some slack.

In answer to your rhetorical question, SG194, "No we haven't. Allowing for the fact that I'm a glass-half-full man and off the top of my head, I'd say Swansea, Norwich, QPR, Wolves, Everton and, because of long-term injuries, Bolton all have poorer Premier League squads than we do."

Although I would prefer the squad to be a bit more experienced at the back, given our present difficulties at centre-back.

Good preview, SMcS, thanks. I'd hate to have had the first match of the season for my first preview, specially when we're no real idea of what team we're putting out, specially at the back.

I agree with magicalmorten; on paper, we could hardly ask for a better opening game. I'm clinging to the fact that they have never won a Premier League point at Ewood and think we'll win but not sure by how many.

The team I'd like to see us start with is [not necessarily in this formation]:

Robinson;

Salgado, Givet, Hanley, Olsson;

Nzonzi, Formica, Hoilett;

Goodwillie, Rochina;

Roberts.

Subs: Bunn; Emerton, a last-minute centre-half signing, Grella [if fit], Dunn, Gamst, Blackman.

PS: I like your pal's sense of humour!

If you like a lot of goals it could be 12 apiece with that line up. :rolleyes:

• Backroom

I'm predictably nervous about this one. I have a nasty feeling we will lose 2-1 then the forum will implode with news of our impending doom and how Formica, Goodwillie and Petrovic aren't good enough.

Archived