BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cardiff City v Rovers League Cup quarter-final

jim mk2

What does 'give him a chance' mean exactly?

I thought he was a useless git from day one, but if course I hoped to be proven wrong. I still got behind the side home and away- that is giving him a chance to succeed, is it not?

When it became clear that he was going to be our manager this season, I vowed to continue that support initially as the last thing we wanted was another relegation battle.

If in my opinion he's useless, I'm hardly going to say anything else when the evidence has backed that up throughout his reign am I?

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Praising someone for doing a good job becomes "godlike status" ? I don't think so. Sam Allardyce on the other hand........

Your love for Steve Kean was embarrassing.

I'd say logging in as 'Doris' for 2yrs was far more embarrassing, even more so than waging a vendetta against John Williams, then on the day he left telling everyone what a wonderful man he was :lol:

We're digressing surely, you'll be getting banned again jimbo :D

Should have kept Sam shouldn't we Gav? Go on --------say it! You know you want to!

With hindsight yes, nobody thought they'd put this man in charge.

What does 'give him a chance' mean exactly?

I thought he was a useless git from day one, but if course I hoped to be proven wrong. I still got behind the side home and away- that is giving him a chance to succeed, is it not?

When it became clear that he was going to be our manager this season, I vowed to continue that support initially as the last thing we wanted was another relegation battle.

If in my opinion he's useless, I'm hardly going to say anything else when the evidence has backed that up throughout his reign am I?

Its hard to make a judgement on someone when they've not been given a chance, lets not forget the Liverpool performance. As a supporter you have to support the manager until such time as you feel he's not up to the job, simple as that.

I have had a reply to my correspondence.

I suspect it is a standard reply.

Is this in relation to a potential refund from the Cardiff 'forfeit'? I'd be interested to know the response, as I also went but didn't feel it was worth the time complaining to the club... the cost of the match ticket was only a small percentage of the total cost of the whole trip, so didn't feel it worth persuing.

Is this in relation to a potential refund from the Cardiff 'forfeit'? I'd be interested to know the response, as I also went but didn't feel it was worth the time complaining to the club... the cost of the match ticket was only a small percentage of the total cost of the whole trip, so didn't feel it worth persuing.

I didnt think it was worth pursuing as I knew what would happen. But wanted to make the point - reply came from one of Mr Hunt's admin team.

I acknowledge receipt of your recent e-mail concerning the manager’s after-match comments following the Carling Cup game versus Cardiff City and your request for a refund.

We have investigated the issue and following on from the media speculation into this matter the Manager released the following statement:

Rovers' boss Steve Kean has responded to suggestions that his team selection indicated he didn't treat seriously the Carling Cup quarter-final at Cardiff City on Tuesday night and expressed his disappointment at the way his after-match comments were reported and the subsequent confusion.

The manager said: "My comments at the Press Conference were taken out of context. There is absolutely no way that we would ever consciously forfeit a game, quite the opposite.

"What I was trying to say was that by not winning we had forfeited an opportunity to take another step towards a Wembley final. If my explanation or wording was vague or unclear then I regret that.

"I want to stress that both of the major knockout competitions are massively important to us, but the Premier League will always be our primary objective.

"I am a big fan of the Carling Cup and we all dearly wanted to continue our journey and gain a place in the semi-final. Unfortunately it wasn't to be, but I refute in the strongest possible terms any suggestion that we didn't treat the competition with due respect.

"However, I make no excuses for recognising the importance of Saturday's game with Swansea and basing my decisions accordingly - as the manager I have to assess every situation on its merits.

"I made changes at Cardiff, more out of necessity than choice. We had Steven Nzonzi suspended, Junior Hoilett had to return home with a virus and I simply could not risk the fitness of Chris Samba, Martin Olsson or Michel Salgado. All three had been out for several games with hamstring problems and the medical advice indicated that to play them on Tuesday would represent a major risk to their long-term fitness. Had any of them felt a reaction they could have been sidelined until the New Year. Given our situation in the Barclays Premier League and a massive home game looming at the weekend against Swansea, it was a risk I just couldn't take.

"I would like to make it perfectly clear that I used a selection process at Cardiff similar to that of other rounds of the Carling Cup, a type of rotation system - used by many managers - whereby some fringe players were given the opportunity to show what they could do. We fielded seven full internationals and two under 21 internationals at the Cardiff City Stadium and the starting line-up was one I believed to be more than capable of getting a positive result."

Therefore to allow us to remain consistent with regard to current policy I regret to inform you that we are unable to consider a refund on this occasion.

Thank you for your support.

Yours sincerely

Paul Hunt

Deputy Chief Executive Officer

Just recieved my reply from the club pretty standard..

I acknowledge receipt of your recent e-mail concerning the manager’s after-match comments following the Carling Cup game versus Cardiff City and your request for a refund.

We have investigated the issue and following on from the media speculation into this matter the Manager released the following statement:

Rovers' boss Steve Kean has responded to suggestions that his team selection indicated he didn't treat seriously the Carling Cup quarter-final at Cardiff City on Tuesday night and expressed his disappointment at the way his after-match comments were reported and the subsequent confusion.

The manager said: "My comments at the Press Conference were taken out of context. There is absolutely no way that we would ever consciously forfeit a game, quite the opposite.

"What I was trying to say was that by not winning we had forfeited an opportunity to take another step towards a Wembley final. If my explanation or wording was vague or unclear then I regret that.

"I want to stress that both of the major knockout competitions are massively important to us, but the Premier League will always be our primary objective.

"I am a big fan of the Carling Cup and we all dearly wanted to continue our journey and gain a place in the semi-final. Unfortunately it wasn't to be, but I refute in the strongest possible terms any suggestion that we didn't treat the competition with due respect.

"However, I make no excuses for recognising the importance of Saturday's game with Swansea and basing my decisions accordingly - as the manager I have to assess every situation on its merits.

"I made changes at Cardiff, more out of necessity than choice. We had Steven Nzonzi suspended, Junior Hoilett had to return home with a virus and I simply could not risk the fitness of Chris Samba, Martin Olsson or Michel Salgado. All three had been out for several games with hamstring problems and the medical advice indicated that to play them on Tuesday would represent a major risk to their long-term fitness. Had any of them felt a reaction they could have been sidelined until the New Year. Given our situation in the Barclays Premier League and a massive home game looming at the weekend against Swansea, it was a risk I just couldn't take.

"I would like to make it perfectly clear that I used a selection process at Cardiff similar to that of other rounds of the Carling Cup, a type of rotation system - used by many managers - whereby some fringe players were given the opportunity to show what they could do. We fielded seven full internationals and two under 21 internationals at the Cardiff City Stadium and the starting line-up was one I believed to be more than capable of getting a positive result."

Therefore to allow us to remain consistent with regard to current policy I regret to inform you that we are unable to consider a refund on this occasion.

Thank you for your support.

Yours sincerely

Paul Hunt

Deputy Chief Executive Officer

I'd say , even more so than waging a vendetta against John Williams, then on the day he left telling everyone what a wonderful man he was

Explain how occasional criticism constitutes a "vendetta" ? My view of him changed over time. I admit to a vendetta against Souness, and was proved right over him too.

Your absolute faith in Steve Kean and the owners was unshakeable until it became apparent even to you that both are destroying the club. You would have more credibility if you admitted you were also wrong over Sam Allardyce. Gross hypocrisy, as your plumptious pal is fond of saying.

Going back to the Cardiff match I see the club are refusing to refund tickets in the light of Kean's attempted retraction over his "forfeit" comments. I suppose it's not surprising since a refund would have been an admission that the comments were incorrect but some sort of gesture towards fans who feel short-changed by one of the worst and least committed Rovers performances I have seen in 50 years would have been good PR. An opportunity missed.

I have replied to Mr Hunt

Dear Paul,

I appreciate the reply in the form of a standard email which has been sent to everyone.

I am however not appeased by being sent a reworded post PR disaster press release which has been constructed specifically to limit the damage caused by the managers statements.

As I stated in my email (which I have no doubt was not read) I believe my contract with the club over my ticket was broken. As such, I will no longer be buying any further tickets or merchandise until a time when I believe the club is being run in a manner that actually puts fans first.

I have no doubt I will get the exact same email response back.

Some on this board had enough foresight to know that sacking Sam and obtaining a better manager as a replacement was a remote prospect at best.

All credit to them I say, I on the other hand was convinced Martin Jol or MoN were coming, if only ;)

Explain how occasional criticism constitutes a "vendetta" ? My view of him changed over time. I admit to a vendetta against Souness, and was proved right over him too.

Your absolute faith in Steve Kean and the owners was unshakeable until it became apparent even to you that both are destroying the club. You would have more credibility if you admitted you were also wrong over Sam Allardyce. Gross hypocrisy, as your plumptious pal is fond of saying.

Lets keep this on topic should we :tu: people can make up their minds as to your credability and mine too!

Archived