SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stephen Appiah

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Venky's splashing the cash again :lol:

On a pay-as-you-play deal Appiah wouldn't be a bad signing. Bags of experience which he could hopefully pass on to lads like N'Zonzi and Petrovic, and if he can get back to full fitness he could definitely be an asset. Worst case scenario is he's signed to a multi-year contract and "does a Grella", but surely even Steve Kean isn't that stupid...

Hmm. This would have made sense to me on September 1st.

I can't see the point of it now though. By the time he's anywhere near match fit it will be January, and then we would have the chance to bring in loan signings who could hit the ground running.

He's played little football since 2008, and even in-form players need time to adjust the Premier League. We're not really in a situation where we can afford players time to find their feet...and that's if he ever could, it's rare for players to have played so little football in 4 years to regain top level form in their thirties.

If we do sign him I think he'd end up being as successful as Johann Vogel and Dino Baggio.

Edit: An interesting, if lengthy, document here regarding Appiah's dispute with Fenerbahce. Contains very specific details about his contract, and transfer/agent payments: http://www.tas-cas.org/d2wfiles/document/4337/5048/0/Award%201856%20%201857%20FINAL%20-%20caviard%C3%A9%20-%20version%20internet%20%C3%A0%20distribuer.pdf

It appears our need for an "enforcer" has been highlighted which is good.

No harm is taking him on a pay as you play deal. Could work out very well.

He's a risk though. Filling this position could well decide our future. Personally I'd sign 2 and forget about another striker.

Right type of player doubt he's the right person though. At least it might be a sign that g0bsh!te is realising we need to get some real steel in the team and grind results out. On the other hand might be a sign of the signings we can afford and we are well and truly fecked.

He's got a couple of years in him yet if he can sort his fitness out, could be good for Nzonzi to learn from him. How did he get on at the World Cup? Didn't catch many of Ghana's games myself.

Get rid of Andrews & Grella; bring in Appiah and another midfielder in Jan - I'd take that!

Isnt Guti still on a free? Would have rather gone for him

I'm not sure we need yet another attacking midfielder. Appiah is the kind of player we need, I'm just not sure he's the right one.

I'd rather take a gamble on Mahamadou Diarra personally.

He's got a couple of years in him yet if he can sort his fitness out, could be good for Nzonzi to learn from him. How did he get on at the World Cup? Didn't catch many of Ghana's games myself.

From what I can recall, a couple of sub appearances. Not 100% sure, that's how good he was. ;)

Isnt Guti still on a free? Would have rather gone for him

Signing Guti would only delay even further getting Rochina in to his correct position. Any day now.....

African cup of nations this year??? Hope he rules it out incase he does well for us

Retired from Ghana after 2010 World Cup.

Bad knee allegedly, and well short of match fitness.

We can't take risks in this transfer window, by all means pay as you play him, no harm in that. But we need to spend money elsewhere.

And to be quite honest I think we'll only spend some money if we sell Samba or Hoillet or both. Venkys appear to be sell to buy.

Archived