BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones V Rovers

Savory

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best for me Jim. I've still got the " Last Sports " report of the game somewhere. The usual Alf Thornton detailed journalism. By the time you'd walked from the ground at the end of the game at 4.40 to the bus stands in The Boulevard at 5.05 the paper would be on sale. How did they do that ?

Brilliant journalistic operation with reporters on dial-up telephones, fast copy writers, couriers on motorbikes for the photos, hot metal presses and local printing sites, and a well-oiled distribution network.

All now gone sadly.

Who needs digital media and t'internet ?

Brilliant journalistic operation with reporters on dial-up telephones, fast copy writers, couriers on motorbikes for the photos, hot metal presses and local printing sites, and a well-oiled distribution network.

All now gone sadly.

Who needs digital media and t'internet ?

Yeah it was fantastic. Anybody know when the final Last Sports was printed ?

I meant when did the final " Last Sports " come out in Blackburn/Burnley ?

Dunno about the Last Sports Tyrone, the Sports Pink was the LET's Sat evening 'sports results and reports only' paper though. Last of the Summer Wine, whippersnapper? More like Life on Mars ;)

Gale force wind must have had a part to play in that goal. A freak gust just like the one that enabled Howard to score from 102 yards on the other coast.

Having said that MU suddenly look flat.

Indeed. And lets not forget, this squad is one Ferguson forged to compete with Barca.

Poor Jonesy has actually had to carry the burden too often this season. I still think he's a terrific player, but he should be learning his trade from the seniors. Instead he has been the driving force. All the bitterness aside, i hope he comes through this bad patch. I despise Utd but i wish the boy every success.

• Backroom

A lot of crap in Utd's team right now, alongside some other issues. No defined first choice goalie, Rooney and Nani badly off form, Carrick never really been in form, Rio and Vidic almost constantly injured, ditto their Brazilian twins, Smalling out with glandular fever, Giggs still playing a key role at 38 years old!, and that's without mentioning dross like Gibson, Park, Macheda (now on loan, but still), Diouf (not even good enough to get in our team last year), Evans...

If this is Fergie's plan to beat Barca... might take a while to work :lol:

Ferguson has done a great job for years getting the most out of average players surrounded by top quality. Anyone who could win Premierships with the likes of John O'Shea, Gibson, Carrick etc etc playing regularly deserves respect. He would get these guys to carry the water and free up Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes to be inspirational.

The problem with that strategy is when the key players go off the boil and you don't have new players to step in. Rooney is the only really scary player on the Utd teamsheet (as opposed to four or five available to city) and he is out of form. Nani sometimes threatens to be very dangerous but he is so up and dow. Berbatov is not a player who creates much, only finishes. Apart from that they only have an ageing giggs and the modest talents of Park and Valencia. on top of that they have an injury crisis at centre back and full back, and two young inexperienced keepers.

I would say when you look at the Spurs squad in terms of raw talent they deserve to finish above Utd. In Bale, Lennon, Van Der Vaart, Modric, Defoe and Adebayor they have a much more potent set of attacking players. Chelsea should be doing better too but the new manager doesn't seem to be comfortable with the squad.

I think EWOODACE1 meant anyone with any sense.

Look, its not that difficult to fathom. If, Im from Blackburn, play for the club that I support and already earn a million a year at 19...why would I definitely have to move to United?? Why is it totally out of the realms of possibilty to want to stay and play for the club that you love and do your damnest to win trophies/get as far up the table etc etc. Maybe leave at 22/23 when your coming into the best 10 years of your career, or like I would do if good enough, play abroad in France, Italy or Spain earning my club a big transfer fee in the process.

• Backroom

That really is schoolboy defending by the way why on earth is he trying to head the ball as it bounces?

Wouldn't get good old grant doing that!

Archived