BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rover V Fulham 14-01-12

As other have said, it will be nice to enjoy the win, wine and MOTD for a change although I’ll still be avoiding any Kean smugness after his PR bleating in the Mail today. He set up the team sensibly for once but should have been more proactive after our second goal especially with 10 men. It all went to our heads at that time -seeing Dunny sprint 50 yards to get up front and support although great to see, I’d rather we had sat a little to consolidate. Definitely play better against teams that don’t press us –they really allowed us to play a cute short game at times. Stoke and United games revealed this: against United we compressed the space and they didn’t manage to play through us; against Stoke same tactics simply allowed them to pick out Crouch at leisure. Why Fulham simply didn’t get it wide and pepper us with crosses, I’ll never know.

Kean got it right with Formica who simply ran his socks off pressing just inside our half stealing on a few occasions.

Anyway, well done the lads –great team performance and everything went right. MGP scoring his yearly (biennial?) set piece, Formica finally tucking away a chance after a neat pass from N’Zonzi, Dunny arriving at the right moment to blast under keeper.

On the red –thought it was straight away. Possible leg breaker. Robinson agreed after the game and apologised to the ref. Let’s see what MOTD shows.

On the ref. Just the usual home crowd ‘the ref never gives us anything’ followed by the usual ironic cheers when a foul is given for them. Pederson lucky not to get booked earlier for his usual cynical trip, Hanley could have been booked for his trip when he injured himself. The handballs? Jeez –the ball flies up to hit a player on the move is a nothing. He gave us a soft free kick for the 1st goal. A fairly tame game really for a ref.

PS I knew I should have avoided media tonight. Robbie on 606 has just agreed with a rovers fan that Kean deserves sympathy for standing alone in the midst of all the flak. Ah well, the wine will kick in soon………..

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

We had 30 million plus worth of attacking talent on the pitch today in Dembele, Ruiz, Zamora, Duff, Dempsey and Johnson. Only Duff, a player coming near the end of his career, can hold his head high. Would rather see players that cost a pittance by Premier League standard but have some passion than overpaid tossers that we have.

Anyway best of luck for the rest of your season, genuinely hope ye sort yourselves out and stay up. or rather that we both stay up for that matter.

Nice to have you back if only a fleeting visit, you always talked a lot of sense

Edit: Well I got the 3-1 right just wrong goalscorer

Got on five live to speak to Sav just before 8. Made a joke about Sav returning to our midfield in light of Scholes, Henry etc... Chappers then took it seriously and said we have quite a good midfield already (what does he know?) to which I replied 'no we could do with a headless chicken' and then he cut me off before I could make my point! Was only having a bit of opening banter... I'll stick to talk sport next time! Think it sunk in with Sav as the next caller came on!

Yeah, agree with all of that Kamy.

Credit to the team and manager today - good win in another must-win game, after being down to 10 men quite early on.

Petrovic was looking very good, but in fairness Dunn did well after staying on.

Hanley immense again - I think I may have been wrong about this lad.

Robbo showed exactly why he is the number 1 GK at Rovers.

Totally agree with all of the above!

Interesting to see Steve Kean a lot more animated during the game; coaching Hoilett, Formica and Goodwillie all the way through it.

Some of our play down the left hand side late in the game was a joy to behold!

I said a while ago that I had seen a bit of Petrovic on Youtube (admittedly at a lower level) where he looks immense. Fast, strong and a real forward driving Gerrard type. I predict he will be a really big player for us in no time at all, really excited by his potential.

The Yak issue could be a problem for a few weeks; having said that, we managed three....

I fancy something from both the next two games, I feel that a corner is being slowly turned, two wins and a draw from four ain't too shabby. I get the feeling that Kean and his players are learning as they go, certainly we didn't do our usual sitting deep and waiting for the inevitable!

COYB!!

one of the least mobile forward players I've ever seen. Looks like he's permanently carrying an injury!

I felt he had his best game for us, given the main man role today upfront. He held well and had a couple of good shots. commentators were full of praise for him

VERY interesting to hear Dunny on Radio Rovers. He spoke more sense than anyone I've heard from BRFC for months, he's a fan and understands. Talked about the need for decisions to be made, the rubbish being cleared out of the club and for the owners to communicate more. I sensed he had other things to say but was holding back for obvious reasons. Well said Dunny.

I did not hear Dunn on the radio, but did he mention his "discussion" with the guy in the Riverside at half time? 5 minutes before half time, a guy in the second row was having a right go at Dunn, and David responded by pointing at him and gave him a mouthful back. Until the half time whistle, Dunny was continually looking over at the guy in the Riverside stand. Sure enough, as soon as the whistle went, Dunny went straight over to the guy, jumped over the advertising hoarding and beckoned the guy to him. The "supporter" went to Dunny and there was quite an exchange of views, although I could not hear anything. What was concerning, was the lack of any steward to intervene, as the supporter and Dunny were virtually nose to nose and a punch could easily have been thrown.After a good minute of "discussion", Dunny obviously advised the supporter of his thoughts and went back to the tunnel. At least one other supporter then confronted the older guy and it started to get rather heated. Where were the stewards? Nowhere.During the interval a Rovers supervisor came to speak to the troublemaker, sorry supporter. There was another confrontation when Dunny scored soon after the break, when a number of other supporters made their own comments to the supporter.

Petrovic was doing really well today. It was a very brief appearance, but after looking completely useless prior to today it was encouraging to see him actually look like a footballer.

However, Robinson and Hanley were the two standouts for me today. Both looked incredibly solid.

About the red card, the referee had no choice. It was a dangerous,high and careless challenge.

Great to finally get a win again.

Great win today! We looked like a "team" and played some fantastic passing.

Player rates 1-10

Robinson 9

Lowe 7 ...Good game and his play is getting better, near an eight.

Hanley 8 .Getting better for every game, the goal at Old trafford is massive for him.

Givet 9 ..He's a rock, he plays as a god even if he risks his heart, legend!

Olsson 7 .Nice to have his running back, played well but missed on Duffs goal.

Pedersen 8.. Worked his socks off...some poor finishing but his freekick was welltaken.

Dunn 8 ...Very lively today and scored a nice goal but tired in the end.

Nzonzi 9 ..When going forward this guy is incredible, we should use him more in attacking play. The passing to Formica was world class. (Barca class)

Petrovic 9 ..This was Petrovic's best 30 min I've seen and he looked quality, his passes and crosses to Olsson could be vital. Has he settled ?

Hoilett 7 ...Looked uninspired but started to play some nice trickery play and looked after some time to be back at his best. I hope we keep him!

Yakubu 6 ...Was sent off but worked well before..

Goodwillie 7..He ran his socks off and Fulham defenders had problems with him, he needs to play more and needs confidence and maybe this can be something!

Formica 8....Came on, worked his socks off, ran around, harassed the players and then scored a lovely goal!

Starting team next game Everton:

Robinson

Lowe, Hanley, Givet, Olsson

Hoilett, Nzonzi, Dunn, Petrovic, Pedersen

Goodwillie or Formica

Yakubu will be suspended.

...... There was another confrontation when Dunny scored soon after the break, when a number of other supporters made their own comments to the supporter....

Dunn has previous for this, without the trip into the crowd. Completely out of order by him. Should know better. Fans are entitled to say what they want, as long as its legal.

I felt he had his best game for us, given the main man role today upfront. He held well and had a couple of good shots. commentators were full of praise for him

Game of opinions and all that. I think when you watch on TV you only get a feel for a player when the ball is at his feet. He did have some good touches but for the most part lumbered around the place. Can't imagine him closing a player down.

Mind you, according to Dunny, you don't need to do that with 10 men.

I did'nt go and watched it on a dodgy river but have to agree with match announcer and Steve Moss, Pederson was Brilliant today, he had plenty of energy got everywhere, gave options when we had the ball and threw himself into the other team when we lost the ball, his work rate was second to none today and got us a goal which won us the game tbh.

Kean is out of his depth but he did'nt do a thing wrong today and the team are still playing for him, big kudos to both him and the team, first time for ages I have seen us look confident holding the ball when we go in front.

Very happy with the performance and the points, (Never a fecking red card though) cant even challenge for the ball these days.

• Backroom

Game of opinions and all that. I think when you watch on TV you only get a feel for a player when the ball is at his feet. He did have some good touches but for the most part lumbered around the place. Can't imagine him closing a player down.

Mind you, according to Dunny, you don't need to do that with 10 men.

He did his fair share of closing down today, put a real shift in given a tough role.

I did'nt go and watched it on a dodgy river but have to agree with match announcer and Steve Moss, Pederson was Brilliant today, he had plenty of energy got everywhere, gave options when we had the ball and threw himself into the other team when we lost the ball, his work rate was second to none today and got us a goal which won us the game tbh.

Kean is out of his depth but he did'nt do a thing wrong today and the team are still playing for him, big kudos to both him and the team, first time for ages I have seen us look confident holding the ball when we go in front.

Very happy with the performance and the points, (Never a fecking red card though) cant even challenge for the ball these days.

take your blue and white glasses off, of course it was a red

Fantastic result for Rovers.

I thought that Petrovic was the best player on the pitch while he was on, his range of passing was superb and covered quite a lot of ground, unfortunately he was the logical choice to be taken off after Yak was shown the red card.

Very impressed with the with our short passing game and the movement of the players, this something that we have done over the last 4 games. Proud of the the commitment and passion that the players showed out there, never seen a Rovers side do so well with 10 men, Kean even got his substitutions right.

Fulham were poor, a big problem for them is in midfield they had no one who could tackle, consequently even when we had 10 men we were able to pass the ball around without to much pressure from the Fulham midfield.

Well done to the 18,000 who turned up (it was blooming freezing) but atmosphere in the second half was excellent. It's still going to be difficult to stay up, bit we've now picked up 7 points from the last 12.

Very interesting comments from Dunny at the end of the game, he clearly understands what the fans are angry about and I sensed that he was angry with the owners as well, if Neil had pushed him further I am sure he would've said more.

Looking forward to Match of the day for once!

Totally agree with yours points Kamy.

Is it only me that thinks the red card was a pathetic decision, the law says.

Being guilty of ‘serious foul play’ (for instance, a very dangerous tackle).

Violence.

Spitting at an opponent or other person.

Denying the other side an opportunity to score by handling the ball.

Denying the other side an opportunity to score by fouling a player.

Offensive or abusive language or gestures.

It was none of them, the only one it can be classed as is serious foul play but for the love of God he had his foot in the air going for the ball, he caught Murphy's Knee not his head, it was one foot raised high which was stupid but it is never a red card, I thought watching it maybe he is going to get a yellow but at that stage in the game to give a guy a red he would it would have had to be a 2 footed lunge not a strikers attempt to win the ball.

Some common sense is needed here or the game is going to become unplayable, as a defensive coach how do you train your players when the rules change every week.

take your blue and white glasses off, of course it was a red

I was basing the decision as a football fan not a Rovers fan, Would you class it as a very dangerous tackle? he raised his foot trying to get the ball, yes he caught Murphy but that is not a very dangerous tackle, trying to kick the ball at waist height is not dangerous its clumsy and does'nt warrant a red by the letter of the law.

It's a contact sport FFS and he has as much right going for that as Murphy as, Murphy got there first and the Yak caught him but it's not a red card whichever way you look at it.

Got to praise the lads for todays performance. Thought Nzonzi was the best player on the pitch but pleasantly surprised at Hanleys development, best game for the Rovers yet. Robinson also had his best game of the season kept us in the game with 4 excellent saves.

Thought Yak sending off harsh at the time but after watching MOTD there is no arguement the ref got it right. We now have a problem with him looking at a 3 game ban, Goodwillie may have put a shift in today but he is simply not good enough.

Looking at the big picture

Well we have been here before post Arsenal, Swansea and MU. We need to put a run of at least 4 or 5 wins together to make any kind of difference, my view about relegation has not changed. Again today at times things looked a bit scary in defence, still not getting enough protection from midfield.

As for Kean and the Venkys well they passed the point of no return months ago, no matter what happens I still want them out of the club.

Fantastic result for Rovers.

I thought that Petrovic was the best player on the pitch while he was on, his range of passing was superb and covered quite a lot of ground, unfortunately he was the logical choice to be taken off after Yak was shown the red card.

Very impressed with the with our short passing game and the movement of the players, this something that we have done over the last 4 games. Proud of the the commitment and passion that the players showed out there, never seen a Rovers side do so well with 10 men, Kean even got his substitutions right.

Fulham were poor, a big problem for them is in midfield they had no one who could tackle, consequently even when we had 10 men we were able to pass the ball around without to much pressure from the Fulham midfield.

Well done to the 18,000 who turned up (it was blooming freezing) but atmosphere in the second half was excellent. It's still going to be difficult to stay up, bit we've now picked up 7 points from the last 12.

Very interesting comments from Dunny at the end of the game, he clearly understands what the fans are angry about and I sensed that he was angry with the owners as well, if Neil had pushed him further I am sure he would've said more.

Looking forward to Match of the day for once!

Have to agree with comments on Fulhams midfield they looked awful defensivly from the off, they closed down the wings well but we had all the time in the world inbetwwen the 2 mids and the defence, and in the second half we seemed to exploit that and they struggled even more with just one man to watch for some reason and if anything one man down we got more space there?!?

Archived