BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Graham Jones MP

Mercer

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a massive boon for the anti- Venky's movement.

All we can hope for is publicity, and this will certainly gain plenty of that.

What I can confirm knowing Graham as I do, is that this will remain at the top of his agenda whenever appropriate in parliamentary circles.

Have you let him know that you think Steve Kean is a latter-day Bill Shankly?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Just published this to the front page:

"Member of Parliament for Hyndburn and lifelong Blackburn Rovers fan Mr Graham Jones attended the recent parliamentary debate on football governance and spoke for some fifteen minutes on the issue of Blackburn Rovers’ problems under the ownership of Venky’s.

The debate on a report on football governance prepared by a select committee of the Department of Culture, Media and Sport was held on Thursday, 9 February, in Westminster Hall, one of the chambers in the Houses of Parliament. The debate lasted for some three hours and addressed a number of issues pertaining to the ownership of football clubs in Britain, particularly with reference to the involvement of overseas interests.

The government has resolved to take decisive action in order to protect the interests of the national sport and it is understood that it is prepared to introduce a licensing system for ownership of football clubs as a robust alternative to the fit and proper persons test currently in place, which is widely viewed as inadequate. The Premier League has been give a deadline of 29 February by which it must produce a viable proposal of its own for the safeguarding of the integrity of the competition.

This weekend, BRFCS had the chance to speak to Mr Jones with regard to the debate on football governance and how this relates to Blackburn Rovers and the club’s owners, Venky’s. Ahead of the publication of this interview in BRFCS Podcast 26, the full text of Mr Jones’ speech in parliament is reproduced below for reference."

See here for the full article.

It's a good idea to produce an alternative to the FAPPT but given the timescales talked about - including two weeks for PL to find an alternative - will they get the right level of detail necessary to make a difference.

I wonder how Venkys would react. Presumably all current football owners will be measured against these new tests and they won't be able to sell us to anyone who won't get past the test.

On the one hand, they might be forced to immediately work with the bank to clear off the debt - or at least bring it under control.

However, if Venkys have the finances available to cover any debt and are seen as competent then how can anyone dictate how they run the club? I can imagine the courts getting involved at some stage.

Also what would the ultimate sanction be? Assuming that a delinquent owner couldn't find a new buyer, would they immediately have to file for administration? Or would the PL or even government take over ownership? If they did, this would go against the one-club-per-owner rule. Or would Venkys just be hit with a massive fine which they might have to find credit to pay?

I thank him for his efforts but it's all whistling in the wind. Pompey's crisis has been well-documented but the saga rumbles on with outsiders powerless to act. The Football League don't want to get their hands dirty.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/18/said-and-done-quote-week

Have a look at the first two paragraphs of this feature in today's "Observer".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/18/said-and-done-quote-week

Have a look at the first two paragraphs of this feature in today's "Observer".

Frightening. Sounds like:

PL: So Mr. Wanabee Owner, are you a fit and proper person?

WO: Yes I am a fit and proper person. Thank you for asking.

PL: Ah, we've been caught out with this before. Can you produce some evidence that you are a fit and proper person.

WO: Yes, of course, here is a note that *cough* my mum wrote for me.

"To whom it may consern,

Mr Wanabee Owner is fit n propper

Thank u.

Mr Wanabee Owner's Mum"

PL: Well that's good enough for us. Welcome to the Premier League.

con_artist.jpg

If you haven't listened to Mr Jones, do yourself a favour and listen now. Watching the speech I felt an incredible mixture of elation that someone who understands what Rovers' fans have gone through in the last twelve months has managed to get it out in such a public way, and sadness and despair at the state we're currently in.

It still beggars belief that a supposedly successful company like Venkys could put a completely inexperienced man in charge of their new investment, and when he was shown to be failing give him more control and a higher salary. Logic has left the building and slammed the door shut behind it.

the simple answer, is that this is about money pure and simple.

all the people involved in this sorry state, thought they could have their cake and eat it. They thought they could take millions out of the club in various 'payments' yet still keep the club in the top flight by signing loan players.

it was only ever a very short term plan to make a lot of money. and its worked for them.

and we're in the mire because of it

Really pleased Graham Jones made the contribution in the House that he did.

He hit pretty well all the hot buttons.

Meanwhilst the Premier League and FA sleep on.

Sadly they are powerless to do anything. Man u, Liverpool, pompey, Leeds etc. Not once have the prem, FA, government stepped in to sort the owners of these clubs out. They either cannot be bothered, don't care or are powerless to do so.

Sadly they are powerless to do anything. Man u, Liverpool, pompey, Leeds etc. Not once have the prem, FA, government stepped in to sort the owners of these clubs out. They either cannot be bothered, don't care or are powerless to do so.

They are not powerless at all, it just takes someone to spill the beans

Pafell, you must be the world's greatest moaning and defeatist git. Why do you continually say that nothing can be done?

Indeed, 47er.

As my mother ALWAYS told me, whenever I tried to get out of something "Can't, wont try".

When you get knocked back, try some other approach. Persistency will win out in the end.

I know it's pidgeon latin, but "nihil illigitimus carborundum"

Indeed, 47er.

As my mother ALWAYS told me, whenever I tried to get out of something "Can't, wont try".

When you get knocked back, try some other approach. Persistency will win out in the end.

I know it's pidgeon latin, but "nihil illigitimus carborundum"

illigitimi non carborundum = dont let the illegitimates grind you down

Pafell, I think you are tupping a brick wall for all the right reasons, hats off!

I think we all realistically know the status quo, so if you love the club, get behind it.

The potential time for change (if at all) will come after June.

We may not like it but FACT in my opinion.

Archived