BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

MGP, a top class professional who is a credit to football imo with the way he has handled himself throughout his tenure here.

So many memories and he genuinely loves the club, I wish him all the best for the future.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pedersen is kind of an anology for Rovers in the past 10 years. Showed great but brief flashes of brilliance, tangled with the top guys and even provided those magical moments in which we came out victorious and felt at the top of the world...but other than that, most of it was mediocre, on a decline, performing below expectations, at the end doing nothing and just wasting away.

Still, sad as it is, life is about hanging on to those moments of magic, and MGP certainly delivered a handful.

Must be hard for anyone at the club to get motivated with these dickheads owning us

I think Pedersen had some great years for us but really we should have let him go three or four seasons back. Watching the game today you can see Cairney matches his recent dead ball ability and King offers a lot more pace. Good bloke, great player in his younger days, but just lacking in the consistency and raw attributes for a long time.

Wish him well in Turkey. In a slower and less physical league I think he could make a big difference.

Great round of applause for Morten at half time after the Montage video of his best bits ended, shame his time here ended with a whimper, but the future starts here today!

Agreed.

Suggests to me that a lot of fans were disappointed at the way he has been shown out of the back door.

Testimonials for Premier League players these days are just so ridiculous. If any of them are hard up after playing there for a decade then tough @#/? cos any money from a testimonial will go down the same drain in 6 months anyway.

btw I read somwhere that the biggest loss of wealth for ex Prem footballers is matrimonial splits so I wonder how many divorces might be down to a lucrative testimonial?

Testimonials for Premier League players these days are just so ridiculous. If any of them are hard up after playing there for a decade then tough kean cos any money from a testimonial will go down the same drain in 6 months anyway.

btw I read somwhere that the biggest loss of wealth for ex Prem footballers is matrimonial splits so I wonder how many divorces might be down to a lucrative testimonial ? transfer?

I think that is closer to the truth, can't see many staying at one club for ten years

Guest Wen Y Hu

what 's goin on with Morten's testimonial? Is there any news?

In his interview with BRFCS at the Barnsley game Morten said his tenth anniversary of signing for the Rovers was just two days away. It seems he got his dates mixed up as he signed in 2004, so with nine years' service he doesn't qualify for a testimonial. He has been asked by the club to come back later in the season when he can and hopefully he'll get the chance to say goodbye to the fans at half-time.

Thats a ridiculous act of disrespect.. and what the hell is wrong with that rule for 10 years service? is it even a rule. Cause i'm pretty sure that there are many players with testimonals who have less then 10 years at one club. Stan Petrov is the latest example

Thats a ridiculous act of disrespect.. and what the hell is wrong with that rule for 10 years service? is it even a rule. Cause i'm pretty sure that there are many players with testimonals who have less then 10 years at one club. Stan Petrov is the latest

I was always under the impression that you needed to fulfil 10 years until I heard Phil Gartside on talksport defending Boltons decision to let Kevin Davies move just shy of his 10 years at the club. In the interview Gartside stated that the 10 years was an urban myth and any player could request a testimonial all he would need to do to is get an endorsement from the club, set up a comity and apply to the FA.

Personally I think the 10 years should be scaled down to be an equivalent amount of loyalty given the modern climate of players constantly switching clubs. Back when testimonials were thought up, the average length of service at a club was probably about 5 years. Now its probably half that, so it would make sense for a testimonial to be half that as well. But then on the other hand players don't actually need testimonials in a financial sense now, they're just a way of celebrating a players involvement in a club and raising money for charity. If I were Rovers I'd give them to players with about 8 years service or more.

Personally I think the 10 years should be scaled down to be an equivalent amount of loyalty given the modern climate of players constantly switching clubs. Back when testimonials were thought up, the average length of service at a club was probably about 5 years. Now its probably half that, so it would make sense for a testimonial to be half that as well. But then on the other hand players don't actually need testimonials in a financial sense now, they're just a way of celebrating a players involvement in a club and raising money for charity. If I were Rovers I'd give them to players with about 8 years service or more.

I'd stop them. I think we all know that if a player stays at a club a long time these days in the top two Divs that it's cos he cant earn anymore elsewhere. Testimonials imo should be for the likes of Petrov and Muamba who will give most to a charity. After that there may just be a case for such in the minor leagues.

What's the state of the Turkish season? Are they in full swing over there yet and if so has MGP played yet?

Must admit I'm intrigued to see whether he'll prove me wrong and be a roaring success abroad or whether he'll just sort of half heartedly muddle his way through another lucrative contract like he did for his last five or six seasons here imo.

The Turkish league is three games in. Pedersen's team are 2nd in the league, his debut came a week and a half ago as a 62nd minute substitute. They ended up winning 1-0 against Genclerbirligi.

I'm sure I recognised that name from somewhere and it turns out that is Petrovic's team (he didn't play).

Their next game is away at Trabzonspor on Saturday.

Archived