BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

Simon do you never wonder why your opinion appears to be a minority one? You say MGP is not as good as he once was and you site Shearer and Duff (two really exceptional talents as their transfer fees prove) and neither finished anywhere near to where they were in their pomp with us. Shearer in his final 5 years was a pale shadow of the player that we saw in those 1st 6 months here. If they had stayed here then maybe we would have witnessed their decline at 1st hand and been better positioned to comment.

However another old timer is still here so would you like to now give us all the benefit of your opinion on the young David Dunne to the one we have now? You haven't mentioned him I notice. MGP might not be what he once was but 90 mins on a pitch is no problem for him is it? Put both through their paces in a fitness test and MGP would stroll through whilst Dunny would be a complete embarassment to his profession. DD's appearence and mobility on the pitch is an embarrassment now. Lets be honest if Dunny was a horse they'd have shot him long ago. Do I still think he has something to offer then yes I do but ditto with MGP. I can only assume that when DD's contract ran down that he accepted a vastly reduced remuneration package and that is wht he hasnt been sent to footballing coventry. In other words I'm sure that it's not MGP's talent or fitness that is questionable it's just his contract that is the issue and the club is responsible for that

Everybody will decline over a decade. Maybe the lesson is lost cos so few stay for that long these days but to suggest that the likes of Duggie, Ronnie Clayton, Faz, Mekky and SG were as good when they retired as they were in their early years would be to lie. There are very very few exceptions like Giggs and Scholes out there and far more Fowlers, Rooneys, Robsons and Owens whose flame flickers much more briefly thats fior sure.

Before you continue in your completely irrational hatred of MGP it might serve to remind you that you continually called for the club to bin off Brad Freidel in 2003 as you considered him to be 'past it' too. I might be wrong but I seem to rem that you even started a thread on here saying as much. The Brad Freidel who became a Premier league legend and who is still in Tottenhams squad today a decade on. We never replaced him thats for sure and imo it rather adds a certain perspective to your opinion on MGP I'd suggest. ^_^

Spot on Theno; 100% correct in every detail. A great post!

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It goes without saying that Pedersen is a lot fitter than Dunny. Pedersen like i've mentioned numerous times was and still is a great professional on and off the pitch, which you can't say the same for Dunny.

Pedersen put everything he had into Blackburn Rovers and in recent times he's not been great to watch but you could say that about 99% of the squad. With all the stuff going on behind the scenes it's no big suprise that players games get affected. I'm not saying this is the main reason why he's not been great but it doesn't help when some half wit says you're a pensioner does it?

Wherever Pedersen goes he'll give it 100% and be a real asset on and off the pitch.

It goes without saying that Pedersen is a lot fitter than Dunny. Pedersen like i've mentioned numerous times was and still is a great professional on and off the pitch, which you can't say the same for Dunny.

Pedersen put everything he had into Blackburn Rovers and in recent times he's not been great to watch but you could say that about 99% of the squad. With all the stuff going on behind the scenes it's no big suprise that players games get affected. I'm not saying this is the main reason why he's not been great but it doesn't help when some half wit says you're a pensioner does it?

Wherever Pedersen goes he'll give it 100% and be a real asset on and off the pitch.

Quite. We were discussing the probable impact of this last night.

The negative, dishonest culture in the club and p** poor management from top to bottom is unlikely to have enhanced any employee's performance.

The pensioner comment was a complete disgrace and an early sign that Singh was going to be another problem rather than a hoped for solution.

All this is a reminder of how embarrassed I have been by the "owners" and "management" in the club I love!

Still, it can only get better...as I said after we stayed up at Wolves!!!!

End of an era-----last link back to Souness (apart from Dunny!!!!). The last player Souness signed for us?

I well remember Morton's debut at Southampton. Like a rabbit in the headlights!

Was months before Hughes gave him another chance. He gave us sone great memories, particularly his 2 goals at Old Trafford.

However, he'll always be remembered for THAT header against Chelsea, sadly for him.

Good luck Morton!

Sorry but you memory isn't very good. He made his debut against in the 1-1 draw with Man Utd at Ewood. I remember it well because he did bugger all in the game apart from put the best chance of the match into row Z of the Darwen End from the edge of the penalty box about five minutes before full time ! Yes, I've got a long memory/

Sorry but you memory isn't very good. He made his debut against in the 1-1 draw with Man Utd at Ewood. I remember it well because he did bugger all in the game apart from put the best chance of the match into row Z of the Darwen End from the edge of the penalty box about five minutes before full time ! Yes, I've got a long memory/

Not that good Tyrone, it was the Blackburn End.

I was sitting in row Z that day, and the ball definitely landed in front of me so it was probably row X or Y.

I recall him having an excellent debut - strange isn't it ?

Yeah it is. I was hoping for a good debut as well, after all we'd been chasing him for a while and other clubs were rumoured to be interested. We'd also splashed the cash, it was a pretty big fee for the club at the time. What I saw was a lad who had a good build for a winger, pretty slim and lithe. When he got the ball he was quick to move it on without doing much, not a bad thing in itself but you need to vary your play. He didn't seem to have much confidence in his ability to get past or around the Utd right back that day. He didn't seem to have a trick in his locker or much pace. I was a bit underwhelmed but given it being his debut not unduly worried.

The one real chance he had of making a name for himself came when the ball broke kindly for him on the edge of the penalty area right at the death. Later in his career he would have buried it but this time it nearly went out of the ground. Not to hit the target was a cardinal sin.

I didn't say I had a good memory, just a long one!

Was the away game at Southampton his second game then? And he was like a rabbit in the headlights.

Yeah it is. I was hoping for a good debut as well, after all we'd been chasing him for a while and other clubs were rumoured to be interested. We'd also splashed the cash, it was a pretty big fee for the club at the time. What I saw was a lad who had a good build for a winger, pretty slim and lithe. When he got the ball he was quick to move it on without doing much, not a bad thing in itself but you need to vary your play. He didn't seem to have much confidence in his ability to get past or around the Utd right back that day. He didn't seem to have a trick in his locker or much pace. I was a bit underwhelmed but given it being his debut not unduly worried.

The one real chance he had of making a name for himself came when the ball broke kindly for him on the edge of the penalty area right at the death. Later in his career he would have buried it but this time it nearly went out of the ground. Not to hit the target was a cardinal sin.

3 posts on a missed shot on his debut, I'm assuming about 5 by now on a missed header against Chelsea. Have we got about 150 posts on the way for the 47 goals he's scored for us?

Annoys me that folk are slagging MGP off for each individual error he has made in 9 years without any recognition of the magic he's produced over that period. Also annoyed at how folk seem to get on the back of any player who has a link to our past during a period when our turnover of players has been huge and costly. Would have loved him to stay as he can still offer far more than anyone else in our midfield.

Archived