BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

Peds does not deserve the poor treatment doled out to him on this mb and the fans as a whole.

Despite his obvious shortcomings he never fails to put himself in the firing line by trying again. I would rather have peds than numerous of our current encumbents.

Give the guy a break.

Thought he generally played OK when under a decent, established manager - he's never going to be the physical type of player but personally I am grateful for his contribution to BRFC over the years.

IMO, whilst not the most important factor, he has some genuine affinity with the club and that is another positive trait.

Some of the hatred towards him is simply moronic, sign of the times I guess....

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only we'd gotten the boardroom sorted as I can't help but think that having someone in place to shift/sign players from the begining of the summer would have resulted in a different outcome. The focus should always have been on reducing numbers as we have 3 teams worth of players. Now as the window grows ever closer to closing we are left with no choice but to remove the high earners. The trouble is for me these are the ones who could potentially (if issues can be sorted) get us back to where we need to be. I see the whole thing as yet another complete balls-up by our owners who make incompetence look desirable.

It's completely the other way round imo. The failure to shift most of the deadwood, Pedersen, Orr, Givet, Etuhu and Robinson who coincidentally also happen to be amongst our highest earnings has restricted our ability to bring in players of the required quality

Pedersens defo not the player he used to be and i agree it's time to go but for some of the harsh words been spoken about him here i just can't understand why and it shows how fickle supporters can be.

Pedersen is by far one of the most professional, hard working people this club has seen since the likes of Colin Hendry in his hay day. He's the one who spends the most time at the training ground, with fans signing autographs at games and unlike the likes of Dunn etc he looks after himself when he's not playing.

I'll defo be sad to see him go but let's face it the way he's been treated by some of the fans, shebby etc then i bet he'd be glad to see the back of us.

It's completely the other way round imo. The failure to shift most of the deadwood, Pedersen, Orr, Givet, Etuhu and Robinson who coincidentally also happen to be amongst our highest earnings has restricted our ability to bring in players of the required quality

Fair enough, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Trouble for me is I don't see Givet, Ped's or Robbo as deadwood, more like wood that could be restored. The stocking fillers we have can never contribute to our cause as they are not good enough. The others mentioned at the start have all played much higher and so could contribute if right. They'd also be good to have on the training ground as they have achieved what the kids desire and can help guide them in their development. Yes they will remove a larger salary in one hit than say Rosado but Rosado will never play and so for me it truly dead wood. We should have got a man in as soon as the season finished (DoF) but yet again we were promised a boardroom shake-up and all we got was a knackered shelf.

The other aspect that should be considered is who else will pay the salaries some of them are on? Shifting lower earners on mass is surely easier than shifting an Etuhu on 35K a week?

i also wonder how the likes of Givet, Ped's, Robbo, Etuhu, Orr et al would respond to a experienced manager?

Fair enough, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Trouble for me is I don't see Givet, Ped's or Robbo as deadwood, more like wood that could be restored. The stocking fillers we have can never contribute to our cause as they are not good enough. The others mentioned at the start have all played much higher and so could contribute if right. They'd also be good to have on the training ground as they have achieved what the kids desire and can help guide them in their development. Yes they will remove a larger salary in one hit than say Rosado but Rosado will never play and so for me it truly dead wood. We should have got a man in as soon as the season finished (DoF) but yet again we were promised a boardroom shake-up and all we got was a knackered shelf.

The other aspect that should be considered is who else will pay the salaries some of them are on? Shifting lower earners on mass is surely easier than shifting an Etuhu on 35K a week?

i also wonder how the likes of Givet, Ped's, Robbo, Etuhu, Orr et al would respond to a experienced manager?

Spot on buddy, With the way that the club is going they are trying to reduce the wage bill so much that they'll be left with a very poor depleted squad. I'd take Robinson and Pedersen over Kean and King any day of the week.

Getting rid of the deadwood is a great idea at any club but they aren't getting rid of the deadwood here they're getting rid of the big earners. Anyone seen Paulo Jorge have a good game for us? Nuf said.

Just on Rosado I'd say he hasn't been given much of a chance. He looked extremely useful against Everton albeit it was only a friendly would say the same about Nunes in particular and even Bruno to a lesser extent.

• Backroom

Rosado marked his card when given a chance against Huddersfield costing us the win

He obviously won't play along with the rest of his useless looking countrymen but we probably can't shift em

All of the portuguese players we have on board aren't good enough for this level. Most of them came over here following their idol (Gomes) and now he's gone they should get rid of the rest. They'll be no good in the dressing room and up to now they've been no good on the pitch whether that's the 1st team or the reserves.

Rosado marked his card when given a chance against Huddersfield costing us the win

He obviously won't play along with the rest of his useless looking countrymen but we probably can't shift em

So one mistake and he never sees the light of day again? That's extremely harsh especially if he has talent.

I haven't seen enough of him to judge whether or not he is the player we need but I'd certainly like to see a bit more of him based on what I saw against Everton.

Nunes has more talent in his little toe than King has in the rest of his body imo but again he can't get any sort of a look in for some reason either.

Totally agree. What's dead about Givet, Pedersen, Robinson, Etuhu and Orr? The shelf life for most players is about 34, or about 37 for a keeper. Those players are 30/31, and Robbo's 33. So they aren't dead in terms of age. In terms of ability they're all PL-quality apart from Orr who is high Championship. So I presume the deadwood description comes from last season, when everyone was **** except Rhodes because we had a series of appalling managers.

I totally agree with Majiball, the easiest, quickest and most risk-free option is to get our apparently deadwood restored. Get them playing regularly in a settled side under a good manager, if that's not Bowyer then sooner or later we need to hire someone who is. Because we're in a far weaker position to bring quality into the club than we even were last season. Nobody thinks we'll get promoted so what players of real quality want to sign for us now? Jay Spearing is the best player we could have signed over the summer if we'd been able to afford him. A guy who played for Liverpool reserves for 5 seasons and was then sold to a Championship side. If you're talking PL experience then its Pedersen 260, Givet 115, Etuhu 111, Spearing 30. Spearing has about as much proven quality as Bradley Orr.

We're trying to chuck out "dead" mahogany so we can bring in maple.

Totally agree. What's dead about Givet, Pedersen, Robinson, Etuhu and Orr? The shelf life for most players is about 34, or about 37 for a keeper. Those players are 30/31, and Robbo's 33. So they aren't dead in terms of age. In terms of ability they're all PL-quality apart from Orr who is high Championship. So I presume the deadwood description comes from last season, when everyone was **** except Rhodes because we had a series of appalling managers.

I totally agree with Majiball, the easiest, quickest and most risk-free option is to get our apparently deadwood restored. Get them playing regularly in a settled side under a good manager, if that's not Bowyer then sooner or later we need to hire someone who is. Because we're in a far weaker position to bring quality into the club than we even were last season. Nobody thinks we'll get promoted so what players of real quality want to sign for us now? Jay Spearing is the best player we could have signed over the summer if we'd been able to afford him. A guy who played for Liverpool reserves for 5 seasons and was then sold to a Championship side. If you're talking PL experience then its Pedersen 260, Givet 115, Etuhu 111, Spearing 30. Spearing has about as much proven quality as Bradley Orr.

It's irrelevant how many Premiership games they've played in the past if they're no good now. Pedersen and Orr have clearly "gone" imo, (not sure Orr ever had it) Etuhu has shown relatively little for us and a combination of mental and physical factors have meant Givet and Robinson have not contributed and make it extremely doubtful they will in future

Agree. Although Orr would still be on my kick out list as a bad influence. But if an experienced manager could get the best out of Etuhu, Peds, Robbo and Givet we would look a lot stronger. Especially as the current lot don't seem to be keeping them from a place on merit.

I don't post much nowadays but just wanted to jump on and say how disappointed I am to see the way he has been treated by both the club and (some) fans.

Most players who have been at a club as long as he has get a great send off and thanks for all they have done - we just seem to beat someone down and dump them until they are forgotten about............it makes me very sad.

I would like to thank Ped for the effort that he puts in and also (sometimes) that little bit extra that he can bring. People again forget that we don't have all that much in the reserve at the moment and not to utilise someone like him is a disgrace. If anything he should be on the bench. Yes, he is no longer banging in screamers like he did for a couple of seasons however I firmly believe that part of the reason for that is still the players he has around him.

I have also never heard him speak a bad word about us where some players would have been throwing their rattles out of the pram. Off the pitch he has been a great guy to have around when he speaks about the club.

Personally I am very sad to see him leave.

Really? I do agree that Pedersen gets some undeserved stick from fans, but you can hardly complain about how BRFC has treated him. Offered him a fat 4 year contract after some would say his form had already peaked and then gave him an opportunity to leave on a free transfer despite time still being left of said contract... It's not like he's being dumped in the wilderness, from the looks of it he'll be playing CL football and living in one of Europe's greatest capitals!

I don't post much nowadays but just wanted to jump on and say how disappointed I am to see the way he has been treated by both the club and (some) fans.

Most players who have been at a club as long as he has get a great send off and thanks for all they have done - we just seem to beat someone down and dump them until they are forgotten about............it makes me very sad.

I would like to thank Ped for the effort that he puts in and also (sometimes) that little bit extra that he can bring. People again forget that we don't have all that much in the reserve at the moment and not to utilise someone like him is a disgrace. If anything he should be on the bench. Yes, he is no longer banging in screamers like he did for a couple of seasons however I firmly believe that part of the reason for that is still the players he has around him.

I have also never heard him speak a bad word about us where some players would have been throwing their rattles out of the pram. Off the pitch he has been a great guy to have around when he speaks about the club.

Personally I am very sad to see him leave.

Couldn't agree more, Cocker.

We've been shown up once already with the way QPR said goodbye to Ryan Nelsen after one season. Yet we basically asked him not to let the door hit him on the arse on the way out.

We'll do the same with Morten and, worse still, some fans will be happy about it.

Shameful.

On the football side, I'm just not seeing how we are a better team without him. I think it was Tom who produced a stat last season which showed we won more games when Pedersen started than when he didn't. Well, we haven't won a game yet this season...

It's irrelevant how many Premiership games they've played in the past if they're no good now. Pedersen and Orr have clearly "gone" imo, (not sure Orr ever had it) Etuhu has shown relatively little for us and a combination of mental and physical factors have meant Givet and Robinson have not contributed and make it extremely doubtful they will in future

Who says they're no good now apart from your subjective opinion? My subjective opinion is that Nunes is another Judge, busy, lively, tries to take players on (mostly doesn't succeed), no end product. While King has a valuable raw quality in blistering pace that can be developed and utilised in the right system. In other words I think Nunes is rubbish and King is good, the opposite to what you think. Did that convince you? Nope because there was nothing to back it up other than my subjective opinion.

Same deal with arguments against Pedersen and the other "oldies". Whereas the arguments for them are there in black and white, this many PL games, played in teams that finished in these positions in the PL, was rated highly by these managers. Having proof that a player has done it before is worth twice as much as having an inkling a player could do it in the future.

Pedersen, Givet, Robinson, Etuhu and Orr have been there and got the t-shirt, as have Salgado, Nelsen, Emerton, Diouf and Murphy who we've let go for free since Venkys took over. If someone like Tony Pulis became manager tomorrow, he'd look straight to those type of players, and we'd probably make the play-offs. Be cracking open the bubbly in May if we'd kept all of them.

Is his name RevidgeBlue per chance ? Pedersen's detractors are on here too but they would never change their point of view. Unlike them at least Pedersen has retained his dignity. I'm still hoping we'll see him in a Rovers shirt again - the team is weak enough without us sidelining one of the few players with a touch of Premier League class.

Sorry, touch of Premier League class since when? Last time was the goal v Leicester. He retired 4 year ago and only got a game due to his no end product long throw

Couldn't agree more, Cocker.

We've been shown up once already with the way QPR said goodbye to Ryan Nelsen after one season. Yet we basically asked him not to let the door hit him on the arse on the way out.

We'll do the same with Morten and, worse still, some fans will be happy about it.

Shameful.

On the football side, I'm just not seeing how we are a better team without him. I think it was Tom who produced a stat last season which showed we won more games when Pedersen started than when he didn't. Well, we haven't won a game yet this season...

Ability or lack of ability aside the Club are allowing him to leave on a free if he wishes so he can get the best move possible. What nore could we do for him?

Ability or lack of ability aside the Club are allowing him to leave on a free if he wishes so he can get the best move possible. What nore could we do for him?

Pay him his contractual bonus due based on appearances if he were to play another game?

The decision surely should be based on ability and worth to the squad and not just one of finances. I thought he was well past his sell by date and was time for him to move on.

However, having considered other people's views on here and the midfield 'quality' of our current squad, I'm now not so sure.

Personally, I'd be playing him instead of those who struggled against Carlisle and Doncaster. On his worst day he would still make more of a contribution than one or two of those have done.

As you wish. They could at least recognise his length of service, either before a game, at HT or give him a five minute cameo, at least a guard of honour - from the point of view of the haters.

But from a football perspective, it's all relative: from my point of view I think he can still offer something to the team when compared to our current midfield.

Yes, he does need replacing but he needs to be replaced with someone at least better than the 2013-variant of MGP. As far as I can see we haven't.

Until we do then he has to be involved.

Pay him his contractual bonus due based on appearances if he were to play another game?

The decision surely should be based on ability and worth to the squad and not just one of finances. I thought he was well past his sell by date and was time for him to move on.

However, having considered other people's views on here and the midfield 'quality' of our current squad, I'm now not so sure.

To be fair, only you have claimed this about the alleged 750k bonus due. It sounds very unlikely to me. Why do you need a bonus like that when you're already on 50k p.w. or even 30k p.w.? It seems to me he hasn't had a look in since Appleton left and there was another change of manager. Doubt it's to do with finances

Historically granting a free transfer was always seen as a way of rewarding a long standing employee even if you could get a fee for them.

Longstanding players used to be given a testimonial match - even ManU's multimillionaires continue to get one even if they give some of the proceeds to charity. We treat our best by shoving them in the reserves and telling them they're not wanted anymore. Pedersen (like Nelsen and Emerton and few others before him) deserves a better ending than this.

Archived