BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there an echo in here. The stats argument has been done to death.

Like it how you phrase that as a choice of argument, as if its one of many and all are equally valid. Stats would be the only thing people paid attention to if their brains actually worked logically. The idea that a fan's insight and perception, with all its deficiencies in knowledge, experience and its tendency to bias, is worth considering above stats is ludicrous. Tonyoz about 10 posts up has put forward the most valid argument against Pedersen in this thread so far, because it had stats.

If he wants to stay in England then I'd be amazed if he ends up below Championship level. I strongly suspect nobody in the whole of football rates him as poorly as his critics amongst our fans. If he ends up in the PL I'll laugh my arse off. Although I'm sure his critics will come up with a feeble excuse for why they were right anyway, in a similar manner to the total denial used by the anti-Allardyce fans after the disastrous consequences of sacking him.

Quiz question:

Who made the highest number of assists for Blackburn Rovers in the 2012/13 season?

Who had one of the most amount clean sheets at home last season and who had the 6th joint best home defence in the league last season? Blackburn Rovers

However we all know how @#/? our defence was last season, stats aren't everything and people read way to much into stats sometimes.

Who had one of the most amount clean sheets at home last season and who had the 6th joint best home defence in the league last season? Blackburn Rovers

However we all know how kean our defence was last season, stats aren't everything and people read way to much into stats sometimes.

If we all know how bad our defence is then why did our 2 centre halves finish in the fans top 5 for player of the season? I think Hanley even finished second didn't he? The defence wasn't the worst thing last season when you take into account 1 player scored half our goals.

Stats cut through the bull****. By which I mean the prejudices, the exaggerations, the forgetfulness and the misinterpretations that all fans are guilty of at least some of the time. Yeah stats don't tell the whole story but they tell about 80% of it, and the bit they tell is right.

Sam Allardyce is the best small club manager in the country, of that there is absolutely no doubt. And he uses stats constantly because he trusts them more than he trusts his own opinion on certain things, things he isn't quite sure he has 100% complete knowledge and understanding on.

So Allardyce thinks he needs stats to form his opinions, and a heck of a lot of fans don't think they're worth considering at all. Says a lot about the IQ of football fans in my opinion.

Stats are for boring tw.... Ooo never mind sorry.

Ouch! That's a wee bit harsh TJ.

On the assist question. Morten made 7 assists last season but he does take most of the corners and set-pieces. Perhaps we should subtract the assists that he gave to the opposition? Only joking!

There were 31 players in the Championship last season who made more than 7 assists; FOUR of them from Burnley! Tom Ince made 14.

Making Pedersen the best of a bad bunch.

But still the best.

By the way, our only other hope, Jordan Rhodes was next highest with 4 (although he offers NOTHING but finishing - according to some) followed by CKR who no longer plays for us!

I'll be watching Spurr and Judge with interest today, because if we do bin Pedersen then I suspect we'll be relying on those two and the odd cameo from Dunn, if he can stay fit.

I just hope that when Pedersen is 'released' (which I presume means a big fat pay-off) he is treated a lot better than Nelsen was. He deserves at the very least a guard of honour and a few claps - even from the haters.

They could have took him on a free when his contract was up and he was 3 years younger. I think they are just seeing the Sparky connection and there is no real substance to it, but we shall see.

It's probably more likely that we are stuck with him for another season until his contract runs out.

Seems like MGP is reluctant to go:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10605943.Morten_Gamst_Pedersen_refuses_to_rule_out_stay_at_Blackburn_Rovers/?ref=twt

Getting rid of players that you no longer want is not as easy as some think especially when they are sitting on a 'nice' contract.

You can't blame the player(s).

We never seem to learn as evidenced by three year deals (I think) for both Judge and Marrow who, IMO, should not even have been signed in the first place let alone given three year deals.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10605943.Morten_Gamst_Pedersen_refuses_to_rule_out_stay_at_Blackburn_Rovers/?ref=twt

Getting rid of players that you no longer want is not as easy as some think especially when they are sitting on a 'nice' contract.

We never seem to learn as evidenced by three year deals (I think) for both Judge and Marrow who, IMO, should not even have been signed in the first place let alone given three year deals.

Just horse trading. His agent knows that we want him off the wage bill, he knows which other clubs want him so it's a matter of what remuneration they will pay and how much we will pay to see the back of him. Thats his job isn't it?

Be well funny reading some of his sternest critics having to eat humble opie if he winds up back playing in the prem won't it?

well done you, using a story about Pedersen as an excuse to slag off Judge (who seems to be your particular bete noir at the moment).

Just horse trading. His agent knows that we want him off the wage bill, he knows which other clubs want him so it's a matter of what remuneration they will pay and how much we will pay to see the back of him. Thats his job isn't it?

Be well funny reading some of his sternest critics having to eat humble opie if he winds up back playing in the prem won't it?

This could be true, it's possible no other club is prepared to pay him what he's on at Rovers and so he has decided he will take the money for the next 12 months. Or maybe there just isn't that much interest in him.

• Backroom

So what has Judge (the bright spark in all 3 games) done to warrant labelling him a mistake?

Actually, aside from his bloody stupid handball, what has Marrow done wrong? He's basically a version of Lowe that can tackle and pass!

Thought Bowyer said on Friday he wasn't being offered on a free just yet?

He added: It is hard to predict what is going to happen, and although the club said I can leave on a free and I can talk to other clubs, it doesnt mean Ive played my last game for Blackburn.

Also forgetting to mention Taylor (2 year deal), Songo'o (2 year deal), Campbell (2 year deal), Spurr (2 year deal), Kilgallon (2 year deal), Eastwood (2 year deal)...

I think we've been very astute in our dealings, considering the restrictions in place. Perhaps Bowyer can be accused of not playing his best hand with the cards he's been dealt, but we have several players out with injury (Rochina, Williamson, Henley, Campbell) that would no doubt be in the mix.

So what has Judge (the bright spark in all 3 games) done to warrant labelling him a mistake?

Actually, aside from his bloody stupid handball, what has Marrow done wrong? He's basically a version of Lowe that can tackle and pass!

I don't think Judge is that much better than when he first left. He seems a small busy player who doesn't achieve much and runs into a lot of 'blind alleys'. To me he is a lower league scuffler who has hit the jackpot by landing a 3 year deal.

As for Marrow, I think his influence on a game is virtually non existant and like Judge, I bet he can't believe his luck in landing a 3 year deal.

Football is about opinions and there were a fair few on Saturday who were with me on these two players.

I don't think Judge is that much better than when he first left. He seems a small busy player who doesn't achieve much and runs into a lot of 'blind alleys'. To me he is a lower league scuffler who has hit the jackpot by landing a 3 year deal.

As for Marrow, I think his influence on a game is virtually non existant and like Judge, I bet he can't believe his luck in landing a 3 year deal.

Football is about opinions and there were a fair few on Saturday who were with me on these two players.

Marrow will be cheap - and to be honest he may be a bit all blood and guts at the moment but can only get better with games. He has a few for company coming back from injury so not too worried.

Judge on the other hand looks a decent aquisition to me. He may not be the trickiest with the ball - but without having to come inside to try and create he will look better. When we have the ball more in the centre of the park he will look better and you cannot dispute has an excellent cross on him. Some of our nearly chances came from set pieces on saturday, and bar a few straight in the keepers hands, he put some excellent crosses in. Not a single corner struck first man. Again, cutting cloth accordingly - he looks a decent squad member, especially for free and probably 1/4 of the likes of some of last seasons dross.

I know the last few seasons have been hardwork, but it doesnt explain the dismal opinion of hardworking players.

We lacked direction and fight all last season - relegation brings losing quality but thankfully thanks to GB we now have more players up for a scrap. Given time and confidence I believe we will find a direction under him also because I respect what he says and how he sets his teams up.

Now fellow posters - back to the doom and gloom.

I thought Judge looked a little nervous on Saturday and he played a lot better against Derby but the general opinion that I have heard is that he is a decent signing.

He is a busy little player which is more than we have seen from a lot of Rovers players over the past couple of years. I think his free kicks were pretty good as well. A couple of corners went straight to the keeper but we looked a real threat from free kicks (again, something we haven't seen since the Big Sam days).

As for Marrow I can understand why people don't rate him because he doesn't do anything spectacular but we were outnumbered in midfield against Forest due to us playing 2 strikers and I thought Marrow and Lowe worked hard.

I understand that we need more than "just working hard" and that should be the minimum requirement but for too long it hasn't been with us.

I think we need Marrow and Lowe but it has to be one or the other along side Cairney. I have heard some good reports about Evans as well but I have never seen him play but hopefully he can add something different to the midfield as well.

Sorry just realised this is the MGP thread so to keep on topic - he is a top bloke but I think it's time for him to leave.

We have Tommy Spurr with the long throw and I think Judge's free kicks are better so I'm not sure what else he offers that we don't already have.

Marrow will be cheap - and to be honest he may be a bit all blood and guts at the moment but can only get better with games. He has a few for company coming back from injury so not too worried.

Judge on the other hand looks a decent aquisition to me. He may not be the trickiest with the ball - but without having to come inside to try and create he will look better. When we have the ball more in the centre of the park he will look better and you cannot dispute has an excellent cross on him. Some of our nearly chances came from set pieces on saturday, and bar a few straight in the keepers hands, he put some excellent crosses in. Not a single corner struck first man. Again, cutting cloth accordingly - he looks a decent squad member, especially for free and probably 1/4 of the likes of some of last seasons dross.

I know the last few seasons have been hardwork, but it doesnt explain the dismal opinion of hardworking players.

We lacked direction and fight all last season - relegation brings losing quality but thankfully thanks to GB we now have more players up for a scrap. Given time and confidence I believe we will find a direction under him also because I respect what he says and how he sets his teams up.

Now fellow posters - back to the doom and gloom.

Agree that you do need players who are up for a scrap and as I said in my post match comments on Saturday, we looked organised and committed, however, having said that, surely that is the minimum that the club should offer and the fans expect.

We know Rovers are now battling with an incredibly difficult financial position as can be seen with some of the players that we have lost out on (Baptiste, Murphy for example), however, if you sign too many lower league players then that is ultimately where you end up.

Think you are better going for fewer in number but of a better quality and to now have a squad approaching 40 in number is both ridiculous and financially suicidal. As a result, I think inevitably, we are going to lose at least one of our better players before the window closes and if you are not careful, you become locked into a downward spiral.

It isn't easy and I think what is plainly clear is that Bowyer has not got an operational director with him who is sufficiently savvy to help us find a way out of this very difficult position.

Blimey how far have we fallen when we're discussing how great it is that our corner taker doesn't hit the first man but he can get them straight into the keeper's hands?

Just watched Sky Gold, 4-1 at Bolton and 5-0 v Burnley in 2001 & you'd think it was a different game being played

Last season we were 2nd best in terms of fitness, commitment and attitude in most of the games so the fact that i'm getting giddy because I have seen a group of players that will run their arse off for 90 mins (even though they are not world beaters) probably shows how much we have fallen !!

Compare the current team to the team of 2001 and there is just no comparison but I have seen more effort in the last couple of games than I saw for most of last season.

Ah well another post of opinion here, that won't suit the positive thinkers.

Judge was released from Ewood because he had obvious weaknesses and he wasn't ever going to make a PL player, which was fair enough. Bowyer would have known that at the time. The only reason he decided to bring him back isn't because he thinks Judge has improved tremendously, but because he thinks Rovers have dropped to a level that he can perform at. Not sure at all that that's the best way of moving the club forwards.

As for Judge the player, well his work rate, commitment and attitude will always be appreciated by fans. However, I suspect that we'll find that at the end of all that, not much comes from it. After all, if it did, he wouldn't have been playing at the level he was, would he? Time will tell on that one.

Back on topic it appears as though MGP is gearing up to sit out the rest of his contract as I suggested would probably be the case. Could have done without him dressing it up under the "I love the Club" banner though.

Whither all this Premiership interest that was supposed to come crashing in?

Archived