BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

I can't see the reason for everyone having a pop at MGP. True his production hasn't been upto scratch these last few years but who's has? For me he's been a loyal and quality player for Rovers, never moaned, was the first to commit when we went down and genuinely love the club. someone like givet has treated the club and fans like idiots still got respect for a good amount of time because he was "standing up to kean" when in truth the "warrior" was serving his own selfish agenda, yet a real pro like MGP gets labelled a fraud its ridiculous IMO. Like others have said he does alot of the unseen work in the team and i can think of a hell of alot of others id rather see go than him. If this is to comply with the FFP rule I can understand that but if it isn't then it seems like a waste.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always maintained that Rhodes has an excellent goal scoring record - that much is obvious. The truth about him is that we overpaid for him in a time when 1. we should have been tightening our belts having lost the tv revenue 2. that serious amount of money could and should have been invested sensibly on the SQUAD instead of throwing cash willy-nilly in the vague hope he'll fire us to the PL on his own.

With the way things have panned out I am glad we overpaid for him and spent more money getting him than we should. Had we allowed Kean/Shebby/Appleton/Berg a further £8million to spend on players instead of Rhodes, and seeing the utter dross that we acquired and the large contracts that we stupidly handed out, I can't see how we would of benefitted by spending the money on the squad.

We would of bought more plodders on higher wages, who we would now be trying to ship out of the club asap, as opposed to buying Rhodes, who was one of very few positives to come out of last season.

205617_10150260197075898_5954897_n.jpg

:(:(:(

Normally incidents like that are always talked up worse than they actually were. However that one doesn't.

Had it gone in then there would have been the best Rovers-related party ever around Manchester that evening.

I can't see the reason for everyone having a pop at MGP. True his production hasn't been upto scratch these last few years but who's has? For me he's been a loyal and quality player for Rovers, never moaned, was the first to commit when we went down and genuinely love the club. someone like givet has treated the club and fans like idiots still got respect for a good amount of time because he was "standing up to kean" when in truth the "warrior" was serving his own selfish agenda, yet a real pro like MGP gets labelled a fraud its ridiculous IMO. Like others have said he does alot of the unseen work in the team and i can think of a hell of alot of others id rather see go than him. If this is to comply with the FFP rule I can understand that but if it isn't then it seems like a waste.

Bang on. His performances may have faltered in recent years (have many Rovers midfielders actually done better though?) but to call him a "disgrace" and a "fraud" is truly ridiculous, especially when there have been, and still are, many more deserving recipients of those terms.

To go back to jimmy's question about Dunn, I think it is a very valid comparison to make. I would have to say from the off that neither should still be on the books imo. Even if we were still in the Premiership and awash with cash I'd find the argument for sticking with either of them on sentimental grounds a very thin one. I find the argument that Dunny should have a new contract because he scored against Burnley no more compelling than the one that we should keep lobbing money into MGP's pension fund because he was brilliant 6 years ago.

That's if we were in the Premiership. As a Championship Club haemorraging cash we can"t afford to have too many players of any description on the payroll who aren't featuring regularly in the first team. If those same players also happen to be your highest earners then that's where it descends into madness.

The one distinction I would make between Dunn and Pedersen is that when I look at them I see one player who desperately looks like he wants to do and play well, but these days whilst the spirit is still willing, the flesh is a bit weak and a combination of the advancing years/past lifestyle/injury have taken the edge off his game and he's not quite at where he needs to be.

The other is in much better physical shape and there appears to be no obvious reason why he shouldn't be something approaching the player he was at his peak even now. Other than the fact he looks and plays like he can't really be bothered and his performance levels have been correspondingly poor over a number of seasons.

So I do have a more favourable view of one player than the other and no prizes for guessing which is which.

Normally incidents like that are always talked up worse than they actually were. However that one doesn't.

Had it gone in then there would have been the best Rovers-related party ever around Manchester that evening.

Was sat directly behind that post, seemed to take an age to come back off it

I remember that day well, my pie was colder than the beer they served at OT and we came within inches of spanking the cockney keaners, how far away those days seem now.

Rev, you say MGP was execellent 5 years ago. I think your wrong. He's stopped scoring the wonder-goals yes, but his all-round play really isnt much different now to then. If anything his role in the team changed when Hughes left and he didnt play so high up the field.

He's been a decent servant, generally honourable but after a great 18 months on the park probably 7 years ago when we should have cashed in when we had the opportunity, he's been rank average.

As its all about value for money these days in addition to the above and the reputed contractual issues if he plays another game, it's definitely time MGP moved on.

That said, he doesn't deserve a torrid amount of abuse no more than 'hero worship' but just thanks and we wish him well. Just my opinion of course.

Finally, an honest answer, how the hell did he miss that header at Old Trafford? I swear to this day I saw the net bulge!

"Again it paints a very misleading picture of the quality of his performances as a whole over those 9 seasons as a whole, although no-one could deny he was exceptional for two of them"

9 seasons a Premiership and international player? Must be pish. I see your point now.

Yeah its half a dozen managers, numerous coaches, countless pundits and at one point reportedly Alex Ferguson who are wrong. And its a section of Rovers fans who are right. That's believable.

What serious interest have we received from clubs for Pedersen, even in his prime? "Reportedly" Alex Ferguson? That's it. Whereas players like Bentley were leaving for £15m after a couple of seasons.

Pedersen was available on a free in 2010 and no one came in for him. No one bigger than Rovers, that's for sure.

What serious interest have we received from clubs for Pedersen, even in his prime? "Reportedly" Alex Ferguson? That's it. Whereas players like Bentley were leaving for £15m after a couple of seasons.

Pedersen was available on a free in 2010 and no one came in for him. No one bigger than Rovers, that's for sure.

When in his prime did Pedersen stamp and scream for a move? That's usually an essential starting point of getting one when you're after attracting the big boys. Bentley certainly did it, Santa Cruz did it, Bellamy did it contractually, Samba did it, Neill and Hoilett did it in the most unappreciative manner possible. Pedersen has never done it, verbally or through his contract, which immediately adds millions onto his asking price. Do our fans appreciate that? Nah.

As for 2008 onwards, I agree, he wasn't better than Rovers. But I was arguing against a point made that he was basically a fraud. A fraud who Allardyce made an important part of a team that finished 10th, a fraud who was still an ever-present for Norway, and a fraud who almost all of Kean, Black, Berg, Appleton and Bowyer refused to leave out of the team for too long. Seriously, do his critics never contemplate that they might be missing something?

Well I hope people do actually thank him Blue and White Army, without tagging it onto a disparaging, disrespectful comment. He's taken more than enough stick from the idiot brigade amongst our support to destroy 20 players. Good luck Josh King is all I can say, what a horrible experience he could have ahead of him with our "support".

"Thank him" was purely rhetorical as his bulging bank account and future life of riley is all the thanks he needs

Righto, well that works both ways then. If being given money is all players deserve from fans, then playing football is all fans deserve from players. So if every fan becomes like you then players have every right to walk straight off the pitch after every game without even glancing at the fans. They shouldn't bother giving interviews, doing photoshoots, visiting hospitals, turning up to supporters dos, signing autographs, celebrating goals with fans. They should instruct their agents to always screw the club for money at every opportunity and make sure they can walkaway whenever and however they feel like. Pedersen should also have turned round to the fans giving him abuse and told them to go **** themselves on countless occasions as well. Doesn't matter, he doesn't get paid to be nice. He gets paid to play.

Scrap the fan-player relationship and the sometimes wonderful activity it brings. Scrap the reason most kids become fans, because they worship their heroes. They don't deserve affection, they don't deserve appreciation, they have their money. If there's no difference to you between the conduct of someone like Pedersen and someone like Hoilett, that neither deserves thanks, then no player should ever bother to make the effort to conduct himself in the manner Pedersen has over the years. No point, according to you all that should matter to them is their bank account. 9 years at the club? Who cares, you got paid for it, bye.

Does it make you wonder in puzzlement at why fans thanked past legends? I mean, the ones before the early 1990s didn't get paid as much, so its ok to thank them. But from the early 90s onwards, they got paid. Rhetorical thanks is all they need. That palava surrounding Tugay's last game a few years ago? You must have been fuming about that, I bet you posted something in his thread on here saying he's past his best, thank him (which apparently means don't thank him) and put him on the grass (no idea what that means). Correct?

Archived