BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

If he could take a wage cut I don't see why we couldn't keep him here, has something to offer imo. Take Palace at home last season, Morris had a poor first half, Peds came on and covered for him, as mostly he is assured in possession, Morris could get forward more and became a real threat.

His experience could be valuable at some point in the season imo.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revidge, I made the point in another topic that his contribution over the last 5 seasons is 19 goals and 40 assists. Glad I've finally found a stat for the assists cause had a feeling it was a lot but its hard to convince his critics without the facts in black and white. That's taken from espn.com by the way, so I'd say a pretty solid source. Hasn't that changed your view that he's been "milking the club dry"?

19 goals and 40 assists over 5 seasons (his worst 5 seasons I might add) is on average 4 goals and 8 assists a season. Compare that to the other players we've got in his position:

Marcus Olsson - 1 goal and 3 assist in 2 seasons (0.5 goals and 1.5 assists per season).

Judge and King have never scored or created a league goal for Rovers.

Add on that Pedersen provides significantly more defensive cover than Judge and King. How exactly is the guy milking us? Cause he looks soft, isn't a tough tackler and has no pace? These are the meaningless qualities on which a lot of our fans seem to judge Pedersen, and they mean naff all compared to end product. Pedersen's end product is statistically head and shoulders above our other options on the left.

Oh and the pensioner goal? Twice as hard as Judge's chance in the first half against Derby, and made to look twice as easy. Quality-wise the 2 players are worlds apart.

I think the word disgrace in relation to Pedersen is a bit harsh and i'm one of his biggest critics.

The only time I think he has been a disgrace on the pitch was that blatant dive against Arsenal. Someone could perhaps argue he was a disgrace when he suddenly found some form when his contract ran out which then dried up after he signed a new deal - though that seems to happen to a lot of Rovers players.

If someone was to say it was a disgrace that the club has kept him on for so long despite a decline in ability then I would completely agree it was a 'disgrace'. You can't blame the player for taking the money on offer.

Can't believe how many people are getting annoyed bye this. He's had some good games, he's had some bad games while the majority of games he's played in he's been the grey man.

But he runs around, not particularly fast or energetically but he does run around a lot, often in circles and nowhere near his man or the ball but his stats say he runs around a lot. So he's a legend,

Whether you like him as a player or not, it is obvious it's time to move on,

But he runs around, not particularly fast or energetically but he does run around a lot, often in circles and nowhere near his man or the ball but his stats say he runs around a lot. So he's a legend,

Watch that video Jbizzle posted, that's why he's a legend. And they could have made that twice as long and every second would still have been utterly blinding quality. They'll never make a video like that about Rochina at Rovers, or Judge, or any of the other current fan darlings.

Watch that video Jbizzle posted, that's why he's a legend. And they could have made that twice as long and every second would still have been utterly blinding quality. They'll never make a video like that about Rochina at Rovers, or Judge, or any of the other current fan darlings.

Pedersen being a decent player a few years back isn't being disputed here as the highlights video shows - he was a very good player his first couple of seasons. If someone were to compile a video of the last 3-4 seasons then you would see he is a shadow of the player he once was. Just because he was pretty good in 2004-2006 doesn't mean we should keep him now.

does seem with pederson we`ve been waiting most of his time at the club for him to display similar form to when he first signed for the club, which has never materialised. he has however still been a pretty decent player, if not outstanding, despite that and deserves respect for it. it is for the best though that he now goes and we all move on to the next potential stars like judge, taylor, king etc.

Pedersen being a decent player a few years back isn't being disputed here as the highlights video shows - he was a very good player his first couple of seasons. If someone were to compile a video of the last 3-4 seasons then you would see he is a shadow of the player he once was. Just because he was pretty good in 2004-2006 doesn't mean we should keep him now.

It was by the poster that quote was in response to. He seemed to be of the opinion that Pedersen was considered good because he apparently runs around like a headless chicken.

I agree he's a shadow of the player he once was, but as that player was roughly about 1,000 times as good as our other current left-wing options, I find it odd that Bowyer thinks even its shadow doesn't have something to contribute. But then I suppose we have no idea whether that's what Bowyer thinks, this decision stinks of Venky cost-cutting to me. Our transfer activity lately has been very reminiscent of when Venkys culled the golden oldies in 2011-12, and how many times during that season did we then wish for Andrews instead of Petrovic, Salgado instead of Lowe, Nelsen instead of Dann, Roberts instead of Goodwillie, Emerton instead of Formica. Pedersen or Judge? I must be the only one who thinks this is madness, really hope that means I'm wrong.

Delighted with the news. We've carried the guy for years. Some times it was liked playing with 10 men. Just reading the news that David Wagstaffe has passed away. Now he was a winger. In his earlier days at City he was electric, when he came to Rovers his pace had gone but he could still pull the strings from out wide. Craft and guile , something that MGP never learned. I don't recall him getting a poke in the eye by a little soft Spanish guy either.

Interesting to look at this 'disgraces' statistics. Below I have collated a very quick list of wingers/midfielders that have played consistently in the PL since it's creation. They are all part of the PL's 'all time most assists list' within which Pedersen falls in 16th place. I have also included number of appearance plus number of PL goals.

Please be aware I have left out the top 8 or 9 players as they can all be considered world class -http://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeCompetitionMostAssists?comp_code=EPL

Oh and also- look at Danny Murphy there, impressive assist stats - over a lot of games granted.

Player

Appearances

Assists

Goals

Ashley Young

Gareth Barry

Nolberto Solano

James Milner

Morten Gamst Pedersen

Stewart Downing

Damien Duff

Mikel Arteta

David Beckham

Aaron Lennon

Antonio Valencia

Luis Boa Morte

Here I have tried to compile a list of players that I considered to be wingers, but also have included players that have regularly taken corners e.g. Arteta, Milner and so on.

Interesting to see that our fraud actually has a very decent assist rate. This surely can't be from corners because for 6 years now I have been sat amongst Blackburn's brainiest telling me that 'he never beats the first f***ing man'. So either his corners have actually been more use than first thought, or he does contribute in general play?

Interesting also to see that since the beginning of the 2005/06 season he has been our highest 'assister' in 6 of the 8 seasons, finishing 3rd behind Hoillet and N'zonzi in our relegation year. In fact last season he finished with 7 assists in a season comprising of 19 starts.

Since 2005/6 he has played over 30 games in 5 of the 8 seasons, playing 27 in the other two PL seasons and 19 as mentioned above in our Championship season.

Now I understand that football isn't played on paper but Pedersens stats are not those of a fraud or a disgrace. In fact, I find Rev's comments to be pathetic and insulting to a player that for 8 seasons has been a mainstay in a Premier League team that each and every one of us has been proud of. He has been a model professional - no off-field issues of any note, never ever injured, committed and always reliable. He has always respected the fans, he has always respected the club, and I believe that he has always worn that shirt with pride.

Yes, we have all been frustrated when his pass has not reached it's destination, yes we have all cursed when his corner has hit the first man, it happens. Maybe he has ducked a few challenges, but I'll tell you he's also put some in.

The abuse Pedersen has received from some sections of our fan-base has been completely unjust - and now I click on here to see that people are calling him a disgrace and a fraud after 8 years of honest service to our club. I really do wonder what some people think when they watch a football match. He's been a well paid player because he was offered a contract when big clubs were after him... Can i point out that that isn't his fault. Since then he has EARNED another contract given to him by Sam Allardyce, and quite frankly I'm willing to accept his judgement over that of a few numpties posting on a message board.

If Bowyer has decided that he is not in his plans then okay, let the guy leave with his head held high. He might have come to the end of his journey here, but I can promise that if he ever walked in my local I'd be the first to buy him a beer.

EDIT: Apologies for the format of the list - i did have it in a table but clearly it won't hold it. All still kind of makes sense but it's not in a great order now

I can only conclude that the people who find it necessary to bad mouth MGP have never learnt anything about the game of football - no matter how many games they have watched, I'm almost that none have played the game to any standard.

How else can one explain that a guy that has played for us for nine yrs, showed his adaptability by playing all across the park in midfield, up front and even filled in at the back, is two footed, scoring goals with both right and left foot, is a threat in he air, volunteers to take the responsibility for set pieces when many others cower away from such tasks, always seems respectful of the fans, is always available for selection when he must have carried injuries, has never thrown tantrums and seems to be an upstanding individual in times when many footballers are not. I would have thought he is the archetypal godsend to a manager.

I think when people calm down and look back on his contribution to BRFC they will have to bow to the inevitable conclusion that he has been a legend and has been central to many a night that will live in the clubs history books like the away win at OT, the cup replay vs Burnley, the wonderful goal vs Fulham, vs Wigan, etc.

Yes all things come to a natural end and this may be it, but the guy deserves more respect than many are showing him and they should hang their heads in shame at their lack of appreciation.

When we consider that modern Americanism called tge assists I recall that Dave Seaman once lumped a kick out of hid hands that was misread by a defender and Henry ran onto it and scored. Many an inadvertant deflection to a goalscorer has been classed as an assist. I am pessimistic about stats other than goals scored and feel an assist is often a world away from a "set up". You even get an assist if you put the ball in the general area of the penalty area and the team scores from it :/

There are lies, damn lies and statistics

Some also say offence too ;)

I'll miss him on a personal level for sure. His screamers against Utd, Burnley, Newcastle, Fulham etc. Luton, that was a nice goal. His celebration after scoring his only goal of the season against Portsmouth (I think). Or his walking stick one. The handball against Newcastle that wound my mate up, the ridiculous dive against Arsenal. His blog used to be a good read. The free kick against Arsenal or Sheff Utd in the last minute, among others....the ones he scored directly from outwide like against Wigan and someone else, the ones from out wide swung in to the worst place to defend, scoring from a corner against P'boro (I think). Some of the crosses, along with Bentley on the other flank.

He seems to care which is a rarity these days. 9 years is a long time in modern football. If he does leave, I'd love to see him play in a friendly next season for his new club against us. I'd love to be there to give him a standing ovation.

But he's not the same player. We could do better for less money. It's been time for him to go for a while now imo. I'd wish him the best of luck.

His performance last season when he came on to help Morris out sums him up, he got stick from fans in that game yet Morris improved ten fold due to the work morten put in to help out

And people actually call that one of his better games though. The time he came on and did nothing offensively, just covered his full-back. Basic footballing 101.

When we consider that modern Americanism called tge assists I recall that Dave Seaman once lumped a kick out of hid hands that was misread by a defender and Henry ran onto it and scored. Many an inadvertant deflection to a goalscorer has been classed as an assist. I am pessimistic about stats other than goals scored and feel an assist is often a world away from a "set up". You even get an assist if you put the ball in the general area of the penalty area and the team scores from it :/

There are lies, damn lies and statistics

Some also say offence too ;)

So we are too assume that Pedersen being 16th highest assist maker in PL history is through meaningless punts forward and sheer luck? What an absolutely appalling argument haha.

There is a very strange, irrational hate for Pedersen that I do not understand in the slightest from some Rovers fans. What a shame for a guy that has represented the club very well for almost a decade - both on the pitch and off it

Nothing but pathetic performances? And goals and assists!

His performance last season when he came on to help Morris out sums him up, he got stick from fans in that game yet Morris improved ten fold due to the work morten put in to help out

Unbelievable that. He gifted MoM to bloody Morris, I said it on here that night! He provided terrific cover, allowing Morris to overlap and play in a more comfortable, advanced role.

I walked off Ewood that day and said to a friend, Pedersen made a big difference there, and he laughed out loud, simply because of an irrational hate for Pedersen.

Rev would be the same, he wouldn't even have recognised the positive impact Ped had that day due to

his unfounded, unbalanced, irrational hate for him.

I can completely understand frustration with MGP during the match. When all is said and done, there are few things more frustrating than an easy pass going astray.

What I really don't get is when you're looking at the Pedersen balance sheet, so many fans have a complete blindspot to all of his positives and only remember the frustrating parts of his game.

Archived