BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

• Backroom

Have a bit of a mixed view on Pedersen. Personally he can't be faulted - a nice bloke and a good professional. When there are players in the team able to carry the bulk of the creative and physical work (Tugay, Bentley, Savage, and so on) Pedersen is a worthwhile asset. He'll run all day and can produce fantastic free kicks and crosses.

However, when placed in a team with significantly lower class players - as has been the case in the past few years - he simply isn't anywhere near as effective. He still has the ability to produce great set-pieces but we're at a stage now where we need more than that from him, and he's not able to provide it. Not necessarily his fault, he's just not suited to the current Rovers team. Best for all parties if he moves on, though I'm not sure exactly where he would go at this stage of his career where his talents could be utilised with players around him who can hide his weaknesses. He'd probably do quite well in Scotland with a team like Celtic, though I don't know whether they could afford his wages.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Compared to what we were we are a ruin, whether you like my term or not, we are rebuilding after years of abuse.

It's not all as simple as money in football, he's one of the best trainers has been there and bought the T-shirt. You want people like that around the club to help the kids and keep things calm when it's needed, they'll also look up to him as he's done exactly what they aspire too.

He can still do a job on the pitch for Rovers and don't underestimate his influence in the dressing room and on the training pitch.

The club is better for having Professionals like MGP here at present and there's plenty of time left to try and shift the others before letting 'positive influences' go.

Can't believe I'm reading that Maj, in my view his performances on the pitch for the last 5 seasons have been an absolute disgrace and no matter how pleasant a chap he is off the pitch he sets the worst possible example for other young players. They must look at him and think they only have to be decent for a couple of seasons (admittedly he was exceptional briefly) and they'll be set for life and can con a lengthy career with numerous contract extensions and increases out of the Club.merely by going through the motions.

Was an exceptional player once, only he will ever know why his game dwindled away to next to nothing some years ago right at the peak of his career as physically he seems extremely fit even now. Should have been a really great player with the potential to carry on into his later years like Giggs.

Can't believe I'm reading that Maj, in my view his performances on the pitch for the last 5 seasons have been an absolute disgrace and no matter how pleasant a chap he is off the pitch he sets the worst possible example for other young players. They must look at him and think they only have to be decent for a couple of seasons (admittedly he was exceptional briefly) and they'll be set for life and can con a lengthy career with numerous contract extensions and increases out of the Club.merely by going through the motions.

Was an exceptional player once, only he will ever know why his game dwindled away to next to nothing some years ago right at the peak of his career as physically he seems extremely fit even now. Should have been a really great player with the potential to carry on into his later years like Giggs.

Whoa steady on. An absolute disgrace? We all know he isn't fast, panics and plays some stupid passes but he has contributed with nearly 50 assists and 20+ goals in that time frame.

If that is what people describe as an absolute disgrace these days then i'd hate to hear your summary of Cameron Stewart last season.

• Backroom

Again massive hyperbole

You seem to have a real problem with Pedersen for some reason way beyond what his performances merit

Probably the fittest player at the club and never stops running when he's on, trains hard and keeps himself in shape, yep terrible example to young players

Whoa steady on. An absolute disgrace? We all know he isn't fast, panics and plays some stupid passes but he has contributed with nearly 50 assists and 20+ goals in that time frame.

If that is what people describe as an absolute disgrace these days then i'd hate to hear your summary of Cameron Stewart last season.

Just as a point of order where has this alleged figure of 20+ goals come from?

As far as I can see he's scored 12 League goals since 2008/9. Less than 2.5 per season. Hardly impressive for a winger/ offensive midfielder who also takes all your corners and setpieces. Similarly the fact someone might score from one of your deliveries once every five games or so doesn't indicate a great deal.

The stats though (even though I would say they're not in MGP's favour) are irrelevant . I have seen with my own eyes the levels of commitment and motivation the player has shown at Ewood over the last 5 seasons and it is that which I view as a disgrace. Other people seem to see it differently and that is their prerogative.

Again massive hyperbole

You seem to have a real problem with Pedersen for some reason way beyond what his performances merit

Probably the fittest player at the club and never stops running when he's on, trains hard and keeps himself in shape, yep terrible example to young players

No problem whatsoever with Pedersen beyond his on pitch performances and the fact he's been swinging the lead for 5 years and has got away with it.

Strange how he gets away with playing badly season after season for 5 years and other people such as Murphy (with some justification) are hung drawn and quartered by the fans after a few months worth of poor performances.

I can't remember a player that divides opinions so much.

I can't wait to get him shifted, agree he has been very poor for years, he is one of our senior players, which to me means he should of stood up and been counted when the club was in turmoil, he didn't and couldn't get in the worst Blackburn team in years.

His fans point to the fact he covers a lot of ground, and works hard, but they also acknowledge he can't tackle. Very rarely is he not five yards behind play. His greatest strength is his set plays and throw ins which we don't see enough of.

I can't believe people are saying he is loyal, I don't think it's an accident he was the first player to state he was staying when we was relegated, think his bank balance played a part in that.

I'm gutted that he still ain't gone, gutted we gave Dunn a new contract, disgusted with the size of our squad. Can go on and on. We are playing Russian roulette with the club if these players aren't pushed out the door.

I'm just hoping the fact GB has been able to sign players means he is confident he will get rid, other wise I feel he will have added to the last three years mismanagement.

Strange how he gets away with playing badly season after season for 5 years and other people such as Murphy (with some justification) are hung drawn and quartered by the fans after a few months worth of poor performances.

Maybe cos Murphy plumbed new depths of awfulness?

Sorry Rev, but I think you are way out of order with that. Pedersen has been the perfect professional whilst at this club. Pedersen may not be the player he once was but he has given some good performances in recent times and particularly when Sam moved him inside. He does a tremendous amount of work in defence, particularly off the ball, which often goes unnoticed. He closes spaces and prevents passes being made and covers defenders. Of course, because he doesn't do the spectacular anymore he is not appreciated. However, as the most capped player whilst wearing the 'Blue & White' his niche in the history of the club is already assured. Personally, I have enjoyed watching him at the Rovers and the fact that various managers have continued to utilise him for almost a decade suggests that those who play the game valued his contribution. Good luck to him in the future if he does indeed leave.

Just as a point of order where has this alleged figure of 20+ goals come from?

As far as I can see he's scored 12 League goals since 2008/9. Less than 2.5 per season. Hardly impressive for a winger/ offensive midfielder who also takes all your corners and setpieces. Similarly the fact someone might score from one of your deliveries once every five games or so doesn't indicate a great deal.

The stats though (even though I would say they're not in MGP's favour) are irrelevant . I have seen with my own eyes the levels of commitment and motivation the player has shown at Ewood over the last 5 seasons and it is that which I view as a disgrace. Other people seem to see it differently and that is their prerogative.

Since 2008-9 he has scored 21 goals in all competitions. Also it is not my prerogative to see things differently, I am simply stating that describing MGP as an "absolute disgrace" is way off the mark.

Bit part player, a nancy boy, touch like a midwife, a let down and a quivering wreck (particularly at Ewood) would be terms to describe him - mainly the let down side because the start to his career here was excellent. I still think he could be useful in the squad, but probably a little expensive for that.

Rating him as "an absolute disgrace", is in my eyes.... an absolute disgrace.

Best of luck in the future Peds. When the club was doing well he played well, once the club went into decline so did he.

Personally I will remember the goal against Wigan, what a game that was. That team was full of rovers legends and like it or not Peds is a rovers legend.

Sorry Rev, but I think you are way out of order with that. Pedersen has been the perfect professional whilst at this club. Pedersen may not be the player he once was but he has given some good performances in recent times and particularly when Sam moved him inside. He does a tremendous amount of work in defence, particularly off the ball, which often goes unnoticed. He closes spaces and prevents passes being made and covers defenders. Of course, because he doesn't do the spectacular anymore he is not appreciated. However, as the most capped player whilst wearing the 'Blue & White' his niche in the history of the club is already assured. Personally, I have enjoyed watching him at the Rovers and the fact that various managers have continued to utilise him for almost a decade suggests that those who play the game valued his contribution. Good luck to him in the future if he does indeed leave.

Fair enough Parson, we'll obviously have to completely disagree on this one.

Personally I think it's a huge feather in Gary Bowyer's cap that he has apparently managed to suss out and shift the fraud that is Pedersen within a few weeks of being in permanent charge, when Ince, Allardyce, Kean, Berg and Appleton appeared unable to see through him.

Another small but significant step to "getting our Club back' if you want to view it in those terms.

Personally I think it's a huge feather in Gary Bowyer's cap that he has apparently managed to suss out and shift the fraud that is Pedersen within a few weeks of being in permanent charge, when Ince, Allardyce, Kean, Berg and Appleton appeared unable to see through him.

Another small but significant step to "getting our Club back' if you want to view it in those terms.

Wow. What is wrong with so many Blackburn Rovers fans. I can't people are calling Pedersen a disgrace. Fair enough he may not be good enough but a disgrace is ridiculous. A player who has given everything to the club and not moaned once. What with Keith Andrews, Bradley Orr, Lowey and Peds it seems we must hate someone. The club has been a laughing stock for a while due to the owners but we as supporters are getting a very bad reputation. The only disgrace is ourselves at the moment. So many people were slating Best a few weeks ago.

If calling the club's most capped player a fraud is "getting our Club back", then I think I would prefer it if we don't get it back! The fact that he has played on a world stage for Norway, the fact that the Hughes and Allardyce picked him suggests that Pedersen has something that the professionals admire. Gary is having to allow him the leave simply to save money and rebuild the club on players who don't cost money or who he can bring through the Academy system. It is going to be a long term project and I can understand why coming to a financial arrangement with Pederson, as they did with Murphy and Gomes, will allow the club to reduce the ever increasing debt. As you say Rev, we will never agree, I'm just happy that I've been able to support a club with Pedersen in it's ranks for the past nine years.

Who put the ball in the dingles net? Morten Gamst Pedersen MGP MGP MGP

I for 1 thank him for the years of LOYALTY and wish him every success in the future

I do believe it is now time to say good bye tho and i do also believe he deserves the testimonial 1 way or another ROVERS LEGEND IMO

I wish we had more "absolute disgraces" over the past 10 years.

In attempting to defend MGP by showing those clips you've highlighted perfectly the problem with him.

You've managed to find a clip of his one and only League goal ilast season in the first clip whereas in rhe second when he was playing well I don't think there's anything more recent than when the shirts were sponsored by Everlast. If there is it's still fairly ancient footage.

Disgrace is very harsh. Whilst the word great has lost all its meaning in this modern era of sky hype, hysteria and hyperbole.

Pele was a great. Moore was a great. Plodersen was meerly average in the grand scheme of things ;)

Archived