BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

I was going to take the statement seriously, but then I came across this paragraph:

"He should be mindful of bringing the game and the club into disrepute and being completely disrespectful to a player who has served Blackburn Rovers with distinction during his eight year career representing the club in 260 matches and scoring 34 goals."

'Distinction' for 2 maybe 3 years, not 8.

Or you could have quoted this, right at the beginning of your sentence:

"Any comments that are made should be based on fact, and it is our understanding that the club’s statistics on prozone over the last season completely disproves any such uninformed views"

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KEAN DISAPPOINTED WITH SINGH COMMENTS

By Dominic Farrell, Press Association Sport

Blackburn Rovers manager Steve Kean has hit back at the club's global adviser Shebby Singh, claiming comments made about himself and midfielder Morten Gamst Pedersen have disrupted preparations for the new season.

Rovers begin their quest for an instant return to the Barclays Premier League at Ipswich on Saturday, but - as has been the case far too at Ewood Park in recent times - the build-up to an important match has been overshadowed by off-field controversy.

Speaking at an open meeting with fans last weekend, Singh stated Kean - deeply unpopular among sections of Rovers supporters - would be dismissed from his post if he lost three consecutive games early on in the season.

The former Malaysia defender and television pundit went on to liken long-serving Norway international Pedersen to a ``pensioner''.

Singh apologised for his comments earlier this week but that failed to satisfy the Professional Footballers Association, who issued a statement in support of Pedersen this afternoon following talks with union representative David Dunn and members of the Rovers squad.

The statement chastised Singh's ``subsequent apology which didn't seem to retract the comments, rather Mr Singh simply implied he was 'too honest for his own good''', a point of view Kean appeared to subscribe to when addressing the media shortly after it became public.

``I don't really think it was an apology,'' he said.

``I think there was an apology that feelings might have been hurt and people might have been rubbed up the wrong way, but I don't really see a retraction being in there.

``So, we'll just move forward. I don't really want to discuss it any longer. I'd rather focus because it's been massively disruptive this week and we just want to get on with the job in hand which is getting prepared for Ipswich.

``It's massively disruptive in a very important, if not the most important week. I think that statement shows how disappointed and unhappy the players are with it.

``Morten has been a fantastic servant. He's probably one of the true gentlemen and it's really affected him.''

For his part, it seems Singh - appointed this summer to mediate between Rovers owner Anuradha Desai and Kean - is unlikely to keep a low profile as he is slated to fulfil radio summarising duties for BCC Radio Lancashire on Saturday.

Irrespective of Singh's comments, Kean was set to begin the forthcoming campaign under significant scrutiny, but he points to summer acquisitions such as Danny Murphy, Nuno Gomes, Dixon Etuhu and Colin Kazim-Richards as evidence of the support he continues to enjoy at boardroom level.

``I've spoken with Mrs Desai at length,'' he said. ``There were some great conversations at the end of last season and she's been very supportive of us building a squad.

``I think everybody wants us to succeed, none more so than me and the players.''

Murphy is fit to feature in midfield against Ipswich having missed last Sunday's friendly in Cork with a foot injury.

The former England international came out in support of Kean and revealed some of his team-mates sought discussions with Singh while in Ireland.

``Speaking on behalf of all the players, rather than getting into individual opinions, I think everybody was hugely disappointed at the content of what was said,'' Murphy said.

``Unfortunately I wasn't over in Cork, but some of the lads there had a meeting with him and expressed their opinions.

``What's been said will stay in house, but the lads certainly weren't happy about it and we are together, we stand by each other's side and we also back the manager.''

Or you could have quoted this, right at the beginning of your sentence:

"Any comments that are made should be based on fact, and it is our understanding that the club’s statistics on prozone over the last season completely disproves any such uninformed views"

Prozone stats might show he covers a lot of ground, that doesn't necessarily mean he is a good player. Prozone can be a useful tool from what I know, using it as the sole method of judging a players performance and contribution to the team is pretty stupid.

Prozone stats might show he covers a lot of ground, that doesn't necessarily mean he is a good player. Prozone can be a useful tool from what I know, using it as the sole method of judging a players performance and contribution to the team is pretty stupid.

Absolutely right. Prozone is a coaching aid which, when used correctly can enhance performance by highlighting certain things to players ie tracking back, making runs off the ball etc. In the hands of good coaches it is a useful tool but the likes of Kean uses it to quote how many times we were in the oppositions penalty area and other inane and mind boggling data.

When I was refereeing I used to get Prozone data on my performances occasionally and I can almost guarantee that I ran further than the vast majority of players. What it didn't do was help me get any decisions correct.

I wonder if Pedersen thinks much of Kean?

perversely , if there was a rift between Kean and some players , SS comments about MGP and Kean , may have healed it

I wonder if Pedersen thinks much of Kean?

At Anfield I think it was I'm pretty sure I saw him clearly ignore Kean's hand after he had extended it to shake Pedersen's.

Yep. He's pretty much been top of goal assists and distance covered every season he's been at the club and I'd say scoring and running are the 2 most over-rated and useless aspects of football.

He takes set pieces so of course he'll be top.....but last season he got less assists in the league than Nzonzi who apparently only passes it backwards. As for running, important sure but I wonder how many attacks he broke up.

Personally, I think Pedersen still has much to offer, particularly in the Championship. I'd be happy to see him playing in the centre of midfield or coming off the bench when Murphy is withdrawn after 60 or 70 minutes.

Dead right

Pedersen lost all my respect with that pathetic dive, just in front of us, at Arsenal. If he where to come back and show some guts and determination I would give him my full support, but I think the likelyhood of that happening are nil.

Pedersen's problem is over the years he has shown a few flashes of brilliance which have left people always expecting more from him. I can't say I particularly like or dislike him to be honest he's just an average player.

I suspect the reason it was brought it up was to counter the "lost his legs" and "pensioner" comments.

am i right in thinking pederson doesnt think much of kean? well kean coming out and defending him has probably converted another player into the kean camp. Who is next for lord coco? robinson? n'zonzi? all shebby has done is drive players into baldylocks open arms!!!

• 11 months later...

Reports in the local and national media that MGP is set to leave Rovers.

I know he is a high earner and quite rightly the club are looking to move him on, but he is one my favorite Rovers players and someone who genuinely cares for the club so will be sad to see him go.

• Backroom

Reports in the local and national media that MGP is set to leave Rovers.

I know he is a high earner and quite rightly the club are looking to move him on, but he is one my favorite Rovers players and someone who genuinely cares for the club so will be sad to see him go.

My sentiments too. I have an added respect for the guy after he personally helped out in some cancer-charity work I was doing in memory of my uncle.

Think its about time, really respect him and thank him for what he has done but for the last 2-3 seasons he has been very poor...we cant afford to have him on the books with the performances he is puttin in...that money could be better spent elsewhere

Archived