BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

Good luck to MGP, always gave 100%, scored some wonderful goals (inc winners at Old Trafford and against Burnley). Treated poorly by the club, (and only because his wages were high.)

Rev, frankly your post is a disgrace.

Theres been dozens of players who have stolen more of a living from our club than MGP, in the 10 years he's been here.

E.g.

Basturk,

Van Heerden,

Grella,

Goulon,

Righters,

Orr,

Murphy,

Gomes,

Markus Olsson,

Djorkaeff,

Kalinic,

Vukcivic

To name the first dozen.

Aside from the fact that none of the above players were here for anything remotely approaching 5-6 seasons playing poorly, there is a major difference between the players you've listed above and MGP. None of these players were any good in the first place or at least any good by the time they joined the Club.

None of the players listed above had anything like MGP's ability, nor was it the case that they reached the point whereby they reached a fairly exalted standard that relatively few players reach, then just inexplicably stopped playing at age 25/6 at the peak of their career.

Did that happen to the likes of Shearer and Duff? Did it heck. Did that happen to the likes of MGP and Bentley? Yes it did because on the pitch the first two players possess heart and the latter two don't and couldn't be bothered doing anything other than going through the motions once they reached a certain level imo.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to MGP, always gave 100%, scored some wonderful goals (inc winners at Old Trafford and against Burnley). Treated poorly by the club, (and only because his wages were high.)

Rev, frankly your post is a disgrace.

Theres been dozens of players who have stolen more of a living from our club than MGP, in the 10 years he's been here.

E.g.

Basturk,

Van Heerden,

Grella,

Goulon,

Righters,

Orr,

Murphy,

Gomes,

Markus Olsson,

Djorkaeff,

Kalinic,

Vukcivic

To name the first dozen.

I don't think Kalinic " stole a living ". He did his best, he just didn't come off.

What a pathetic post Rev. There are times when I think our supporters and Venky's deserve one another such is their lack of respect for others.

Pedersen showed precious little respect for the fans with his pathetic half hearted displays over the last 5-6 seasons either Parson.

Respect has to be earnt - well usually - but not in MGP's case in the eyes of many it seems.

I don't think Kalinic " stole a living ". He did his best, he just didn't come off.

Neither does Marcus Olsson. He's as keen as mustard and I don't think I've ever seen anyone try harder. He just doesn't have any ability.

I'm told he got a nice send off yesterday Simon. Your opinions appear to be

a. becoming very personal

and

b. at odds with a lot of your fellow supporters.

Just on the send off he got, I didn't even realise he'd come on the pitch at the end as I was already on the way out and I suspect many were in the same boat If there are those who wanted to cheer him off the Club should have done it properly by parading him at half time or before the game, not have him troop belatedly on after everyone had gone.

Similarly I don't think there's any reason why you can't apply for permission for an early testimonial etc so provided all the proceeds go to charity that would be a fitting way to send him off for those who like him and some good would come of it.

Not my bag in either case but each to their owb.

Aside from the fact that none of the above players were here for anything remotely approaching 5-6 seasons playing poorly, there is a major difference between the players you've listed above and MGP. None of these players were any good in the first place or at least any good by the time they joined the Club.

None of the players listed above had anything like MGP's ability, nor was it the case that they reached the point whereby they reached a fairly exalted standard that relatively few players reach, then just inexplicably stopped playing at age 25/6 at the peak of their career.

Did that happen to the likes of Shearer and Duff? Did it heck. Did that happen to the likes of MGP and Bentley? Yes it did because on the pitch the first two players possess heart and the latter two don't and couldn't be bothered doing anything other than going through the motions once they reached a certain level imo.

Out of curiosity, how would you describe MGPs performances in his prime?

We all know he was banging in more goals (mainly due to him being played much further forward) but the stuff which really wound people up like the misplaced 5 yard passes and the hit and miss set pieces were there from day one.

Literally the only difference to my mind was that he scored less spectacular goals because he was playing further back, so to blame him for 'inexplicably stopping to play' seems a bit daft.

Pedersen showed precious little respect for the fans with his pathetic half hearted displays over the last 5-6 seasons either Parson.

Respect has to be earnt - well usually - but not in MGP's case in the eyes of many it seems.

Neither does Marcus Olsson. He's as keen as mustard and I don't think I've ever seen anyone try harder. He just doesn't have any ability.

Couldn't disagree more Rev. You clearly don't like Pedersen and it has totally blinded you to the contribution that he makes to the team during matches. His stats are impressive and the fact that he has made a such a major contribution to the club over the past decade, not to mention becoming the most capped player in the club's history, means that his niche in the history of Blackburn Rovers is assured. Pedersen has been an excellent servant to the club and would seem to have the respect of the majority of fans and rightly so.

Couldn't disagree more Rev. You clearly don't like Pedersen and it has totally blinded you to the contribution that he makes to the team during matches. His stats are impressive and the fact that he has made a such a major contribution to the club over the past decade, not to mention becoming the most capped player in the club's history, means that his niche in the history of Blackburn Rovers is assured. Pedersen has been an excellent servant to the club and would seem to have the respect of the majority of fans and rightly so.

I didn't know that. I'd imagine that record might well now stay for all time unless we decide to raid the Faroe Islands or San Marino or similar for our future talent.

Simon do you never wonder why your opinion appears to be a minority one? You say MGP is not as good as he once was and you site Shearer and Duff (two really exceptional talents as their transfer fees prove) and neither finished anywhere near to where they were in their pomp with us. Shearer in his final 5 years was a pale shadow of the player that we saw in those 1st 6 months here. If they had stayed here then maybe we would have witnessed their decline at 1st hand and been better positioned to comment.

However another old timer is still here so would you like to now give us all the benefit of your opinion on the young David Dunne to the one we have now? You haven't mentioned him I notice. MGP might not be what he once was but 90 mins on a pitch is no problem for him is it? Put both through their paces in a fitness test and MGP would stroll through whilst Dunny would be a complete embarassment to his profession. DD's appearence and mobility on the pitch is an embarrassment now. Lets be honest if Dunny was a horse they'd have shot him long ago. Do I still think he has something to offer then yes I do but ditto with MGP. I can only assume that when DD's contract ran down that he accepted a vastly reduced remuneration package and that is wht he hasnt been sent to footballing coventry. In other words I'm sure that it's not MGP's talent or fitness that is questionable it's just his contract that is the issue and the club is responsible for that

Everybody will decline over a decade. Maybe the lesson is lost cos so few stay for that long these days but to suggest that the likes of Duggie, Ronnie Clayton, Faz, Mekky and SG were as good when they retired as they were in their early years would be to lie. There are very very few exceptions like Giggs and Scholes out there and far more Fowlers, Rooneys, Robsons and Owens whose flame flickers much more briefly thats fior sure.

Before you continue in your completely irrational hatred of MGP it might serve to remind you that you continually called for the club to bin off Brad Freidel in 2003 as you considered him to be 'past it' too. I might be wrong but I seem to rem that you even started a thread on here saying as much. The Brad Freidel who became a Premier league legend and who is still in Tottenhams squad today a decade on. We never replaced him thats for sure and imo it rather adds a certain perspective to your opinion on MGP I'd suggest. ^_^

• Backroom

Simon do you never wonder why your opinion appears to be a minority one?

Bit rich this, considering your extreme minority stance on Lancs Utd :lol:

And no, I don't want to debate it before you start with the rhetorical questions ending with "off you go".

Simon do you never wonder why your opinion appears to be a minority one? You say MGP is not as good as he once was and you site Shearer and Duff (two really exceptional talents as their transfer fees prove) and neither finished anywhere near to where they were in their pomp with us. Shearer in his final 5 years was a pale shadow of the player that we saw in those 1st 6 months here. If they had stayed here then maybe we would have witnessed their decline at 1st hand and been better positioned to comment.

However another old timer is still here so would you like to now give us all the benefit of your opinion on the young David Dunne to the one we have now? You haven't mentioned him I notice. MGP might not be what he once was but 90 mins on a pitch is no problem for him is it? Put both through their paces in a fitness test and MGP would stroll through whilst Dunny would be a complete embarassment to his profession. DD's appearence and mobility on the pitch is an embarrassment now. Lets be honest if Dunny was a horse they'd have shot him long ago. Do I still think he has something to offer then yes I do but ditto with MGP. I can only assume that when DD's contract ran down that he accepted a vastly reduced remuneration package and that is wht he hasnt been sent to footballing coventry. In other words I'm sure that it's not MGP's talent or fitness that is questionable it's just his contract that is the issue and the club is responsible for that

Everybody will decline over a decade. Maybe the lesson is lost cos so few stay for that long these days but to suggest that the likes of Duggie, Ronnie Clayton, Faz, Mekky and SG were as good when they retired as they were in their early years would be to lie. There are very very few exceptions like Giggs and Scholes out there and far more Fowlers, Rooneys, Robsons and Owens whose flame flickers much more briefly thats fior sure.

Before you continue in your completely irrational hatred of MGP it might serve to remind you that you continually called for the club to bin off Brad Freidel in 2003 as you considered him to be 'past it' too. I might be wrong but I seem to rem that you even started a thread on here saying as much. The Brad Freidel who became a Premier league legend and who is still in Tottenhams squad today a decade on. We never replaced him thats for sure and imo it rather adds a certain perspective to your opinion on MGP I'd suggest. ^_^

I've already given my opinion on Dunn Gordon, neither he nor MGP were worthy of new contracts imo and I have no knowledge of the make up of Dunn's latest deal but if it was the case that Dunn agreed a cheaper pay as you play deal to keep himself at the club then that speaks rather more favourably about his character than MGP's doesn't it?

You are also with respect completely missing the point with MGP. Of course players form tails off gradually as they get older and approach the end of their careers. That's the general scenario. In MGP's case his form fell off a cliff over the space of about 6 months when he was still in his peak years of 25/26. His game started to deterioate before Hughes left imo.

MGP has been a loyal servant to the club and deserves nothing but the utmost respect for staying as long as he has, I'd even go as far as to say the man bleeds blue n white.

But I must add that like Dunn he's never fulfilled his full potential, probably for different reasons, but he could have been a better player than he turned out to be. His performances over the past few years have been average at best, but thats probably because he’s been playing for clueless managers and surrounded by average players.

Still he’s been a great servant and I wish him the best of luck for the future :tu:

Does it really matter if a player stays loyal to the club? If the player isn't performing and is having a detrimental effect on the team surely that is more important?

I would always take players who were only going to stay for 2-3 seasons if they performed very well over that time over a player who ends up staying for 10 seasons and is average for 8 of them. Loyalty and long service shouldn't matter in this day and age, performance is what matters especially to a club that is struggling both on and off the field and needs to sort itself out fast.

I will say this though I don't blame Pedersen for taking the contracts he has. If the club offers you a deal on good money despite a clear and obvious decline in your play you are going to take it, we all would. I blame the club for keeping him on longer than they should have, by letting their hearts rule over their head.

Does it really matter if a player stays loyal to the club? If the player isn't performing and is having a detrimental effect on the team surely that is more important?

I would always take players who were only going to stay for 2-3 seasons if they performed very well over that time over a player who ends up staying for 10 seasons and is average for 8 of them. Loyalty and long service shouldn't matter in this day and age, performance is what matters especially to a club that is struggling both on and off the field and needs to sort itself out fast.

I will say this though I don't blame Pedersen for taking the contracts he has. If the club offers you a deal on good money despite a clear and obvious decline in your play you are going to take it, we all would. I blame the club for keeping him on longer than they should have, by letting their hearts rule over their head.

This is true if that were the case but Pedersen is more often than not one of our better players and I cannot recall many (if any) matches where he was having a "detrimental effect on the team".

There's a whole list of players you could name who make the team worse but Pedersen is not one of them. In my opinion he still merits a place in the side now. .

Thought Pedersen's send off on Saturday was very poorly done by the club - half the crowd had gone and he wasn't announced until he was walking off again.

For me, it probably is time for Pedersen to go if his wages are that high (if they're not he would still be a good squad player) - his delivery is being adequately replaced by Cairney, but he remains one of my favourite players and few have given me more moments of joy as a Rovers player than he over the past decade. Don't understand the vitriol he receives from certain fans, he may not be what he was but he is still better than most in our midfield and has given us good service.

So many similarities to Allardyce. "Rubbish, boring, hoofball, ugly, I'd rather get relegated if it meant us playing passing football, blah blah blah". He gets sacked, we get relegated playing passing football, we end up with mediocre players in front of 13,000 crowds, and everyone is given a massive reality check on what the word rubbish actually means.

Pedersen - "Rubbish, can't take set pieces, can't keep hold of the ball, can't tackle, money-grabber, lazy". Give it a few years of grubbing around mid-table in this division with free transfers from the football league farmers market. By then I expect the massive reality check to have filtered through of how much of a pleasure it was to watch the scorer of the some of the best goals seen at Ewood, an ambassador to a whole other country, a guy with 80-odd international caps, who finished top of our assists almost every year, could produce moments of brilliance with both feet, who's highlights reel would be worth showing your grandkids in 50 years, likely one of the last genuine Rovers fans to play for Rovers, and (because it should matter) one of the nicest human beings you'll ever meet.

History will show Pedersen in the light he should be. Just as it did with Souness, Shearer, Allardyce, Atkins etc. In the meantime this short-sighted, bitter criticism from some is frankly a disgrace to our support.

Thought Pedersen's send off on Saturday was very poorly done by the club - half the crowd had gone and he wasn't announced until he was walking off again.

For me, it probably is time for Pedersen to go if his wages are that high (if they're not he would still be a good squad player) - his delivery is being adequately replaced by Cairney, but he remains one of my favourite players and few have given me more moments of joy as a Rovers player than he over the past decade. Don't understand the vitriol he receives from certain fans, he may not be what he was but he is still better than most in our midfield and has given us good service.

At the end of Ronnie Claytons playing days, did he not just get a letter saying he was no longer required. Seem's the club has not learn't much.

Along with Paul Scholes, Morten Gamst is my favourite player ever. He was an absolute inspiration to me over the years. Really sad to read all these negative stuff about him coming from Rovers fans. Wish him all the best. His loyalty to the club, makes him look like a legend in my eyes

MGP has been a loyal servant to the club and deserves nothing but the utmost respect for staying as long as he has, I'd even go as far as to say the man bleeds blue n white.

But I must add that like Dunn he's never fulfilled his full potential, probably for different reasons, but he could have been a better player than he turned out to be. His performances over the past few years have been average at best, but thats probably because he’s been playing for clueless managers and surrounded by average players.

Still he’s been a great servant and I wish him the best of luck for the future :tu:

I agree with all of that. Balanced and fair.

Don't know why he should be the subject of so much bitterness, when there are others who are much more deserving of condemnation.

And, believe me, I have a grudge bank that is full to overflowing,

I've never understood the bitterness to MGP the lad is one of the most honest and likable footballers going for someone who has played so much for our club to get the treatment he gets is unforgivable. I for one will miss the lad and wish him well where ever the rest of his career takes him and Hope to see him back watching football at Ewood in the future.

I've never understood the bitterness to MGP the lad is one of the most honest and likable footballers going for someone who has played so much for our club to get the treatment he gets is unforgivable. I for one will miss the lad and wish him well where ever the rest of his career takes him and Hope to see him back watching football at Ewood in the future.

Guess when the bug clubs came crawling fans would gave been happy if he kicked up a fuss like bentley but this guy stuck around and all his got is abuse in return absolute joke

End of an era-----last link back to Souness (apart from Dunny!!!!). The last player Souness signed for us?

I well remember Morton's debut at Southampton. Like a rabbit in the headlights!

Was months before Hughes gave him another chance. He gave us sone great memories, particularly his 2 goals at Old Trafford.

However, he'll always be remembered for THAT header against Chelsea, sadly for him.

Good luck Morton!

Great to see Morton on the pitch at the end of the game on Saturday and i for one will be sad to see him go. Great he made it to the game to say goodbye as no other player would've done that and that's testament to him. True Professional.

Archived