BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Colin Hendry - An Asset?

369 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Hendry as assistant manager should Black leave?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know enough to judge

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly OOJW.

Some on here are getting bogged down in his misdeeds away from football, I am interested in the game and therefore his support of Kean at the expense of the fans throughout last season were not the deeds of a 'legend'

I don't think anyone is picking on him, just saying it how it is.

Do you know Hendry? NO

Do you know anyone involved? NO

Do you know how he thinks? NO

Do you know anymore about the situation than what has been reported? NO

Ergo you know nought and yet judge. Just as every fan in the country is now labelling us the worst fans in England (many said this last night) as all they know is what has been reported, you do the same to Hendry.

So the reality is you don't know how it is, isn't it.

If the manager's job comes free I would expect the club to open up the role globally and properly assess candidates in a proper competency-based process.

If Colin goes through this process and is deemed the best applicant, then there is no reason he shouldn't be given the job.

If he gets the job under other circumstances (like Kean did) there will obviously concerns raised.

Do you know Hendry? NO

Do you know anyone involved? NO

Do you know how he thinks? NO

Do you know anymore about the situation than what has been reported? NO

Ergo you know nought and yet judge. Just as every fan in the country is now labelling us the worst fans in England (many said this last night) as all they know is what has been reported, you do the same to Hendry.

So the reality is you don't know how it is, isn't it.

I presume you are being deliberately stupid pal.... :blink: I did not claim to know how Hendry thinks, nor what he had for tea, or the colour of his pants. Please read back. I said Blackpool's players were VERY glad to get rid of him, which I know to be factually correct, but disprove that with pleasure if you wish to try.

Anyway, that is not the issue here. The issue is whether Hendry is the best possible recruit for the position at the club he has been given and whether the motives for choosing him are the right ones, or in fact anyway football related. Excuse my sceptism, but defensive coaches have come and gone pretty quickly of late. I did not know how they thought either, nor had I met their Mrs.

The title of this thread asks if Hendry will be an asset and a modest 86% of the posters on here do not think so. 4.84% only think he will prove to be an asset and I presume you are one of them.

As an aside, who are all these knowledgable people you know who have worked with him, who speak so positively about his abilities? They must have a bloody good memory as Hendry has been unemployable for years due to personal traits and failings. The clue is in the word UNEMPLOYED if you need one, with no-one in football touching him with a barge pole. Why do your hugely informed people think this is?

I presume you are being deliberately stupid pal.... :blink:

We'll put this one here as we'll need it later.

People who have worked with him speak highly of him. Even if he's not that good he cares about Rovers as a club that much is obvious and who else can truly say that at Rovers these days.

Blackpool's players could not wait to get rid of him.

Anyhow, Hendry's influence is already showing dividends witnessed by how few these non-league teams are putting past us pre-season.

So I've stated he cares for the club and you come along with blackpool? What on earth does that have to do with Hendry's feelings for Rovers? I'll answer the next part later on.

Next, again I take it you've been at Brockhall since he arrived and jetted out to Austria as well? Otherwise how on earth could you know what coaching/trainings Hendry has delivered? Skulduggery persists at Rovers so for all anyone knows Hendry may not be doing that much and be more of a way to re-link with the fans? Who knows, but assumptions do not lead to knowledge.

However neither points carry any relevance to what I stated. I posted he cared about the club and it was nice to see an ex-player from our glory days on the staff at Ewood. I've said many a time it's a failing of the club well before Venky's.

People who have worked with him speak highly of him. Even if he's not that good he cares about Rovers as a club that much is obvious and who else can truly say that at Rovers these days.

You want to name clubs I don't, but most on here know I wouldn't say that without knowledge.

I presume you are being deliberately stupid pal.... :blink: I did not claim to know how Hendry thinks, nor what he had for tea, or the colour of his pants. Please read back. I said Blackpool's players were VERY glad to get rid of him, which I know to be factually correct, but disprove that with pleasure if you wish to try.

Anyway, that is not the issue here. The issue is whether Hendry is the best possible recruit for the position at the club he has been given and whether the motives for choosing him are the right ones, or in fact anyway football related. Excuse my sceptism, but defensive coaches have come and gone pretty quickly of late. I did not know how they thought either, nor had I met their Mrs.

The title of this thread asks if Hendry will be an asset and a modest 86% of the posters on here do not think so. 4.84% only think he will prove to be an asset and I presume you are one of them.

As an aside, who are all these knowledgable people you know who have worked with him, who speak so positively about his abilities? They must have a bloody good memory as Hendry has been unemployable for years due to personal traits and failings. The clue is in the word UNEMPLOYED if you need one, with no-one in football touching him with a barge pole. Why do your hugely informed people think this is?

Again I posted my comments in the Hendry thread, I've stated above the topic of my discussion and yet you tell me it's not that. My point is was and always has been Hendry cares about Rovers, it's obvious if you speak to him.

When have we ever had the best possible recruit in Venky's tenure? So why state that here, it's not the reality of the situation and never has been. In a time when we're getting No-bodies and mates it's nice to see, regardless of method an ex-player like Hendry on the staff. So many have commented over the last months that we have no-one here anymore who cares about Rovers, now we do.

Hendry was last employed in football in 2008 and you struggle to remember that far back? I can remember well back into my youth and yet you think people can't remember what Colin was like as a boss or player? Just as you like assuming I don't, so clearly two differing people can have a differing view on an individual? Mine do not concur with yours. Again you assume he was looking during the time his Wife was ill etc? Ever lost a loved one unexpectedly, young and without warning? I'm sure the first thing you do is look for a job. Everyone deals with these things differently and when your world gets flipped upside down and crushed you tend to change. But that doesn't mean you can't get back to where you were once you get your head round it all which takes different times and journeys for us all.

I voted then deleted my vote as it's a stupid poll on reflection. As quite clearly no-one on here has the knowledge to comment.

At this stage I'll ask you to return and read your first quote at the top of this quote.

So he's an ok appointment with you Maj because he 'cares for the club'? Fair enough, personally I'd like someone with coaching credentials, but as you say, you can't expect much with Venky's.

However, my main issue is the way he supported Kean throughout last season, even when it was painfully clear he was relegating the club. He repeatedly appeared on various media outlets, even in May stating that 'most fans are behind the manager'.

This was done because he fancied a job, not because he wanted the best for BRFC.

Maj, if you are talking about issues away from football I can conirm I do know more than has been reported.

To that end I can confirm that he's a grade A sh1tebag.

Grief can be a strange beast, not offering it as an excuse just saying.

All of the positive comments come from prior to his wife becoming ill and whilst he may have fallen, he clearly wishes to rise again and with Rovers.

Given all of the choices made since Venky's came along I came a positive in having a legend like Colin back at the club as previously I haven't seen many.

So he's an ok appointment with you Maj because he 'cares for the club'? Fair enough, personally I'd like someone with coaching credentials, but as you say, you can't expect much with Venky's.

However, my main issue is the way he supported Kean throughout last season, even when it was painfully clear he was relegating the club. He repeatedly appeared on various media outlets, even in May stating that 'most fans are behind the manager'.

This was done because he fancied a job, not because he wanted the best for BRFC.

Perhaps he felt him getting a job at Rovers would be best for the club? That he could help Rovers? So he said what he said to put himself in that position?

Maj, if you are talking about issues away from football I can conirm I do know more than has been reported.

To that end I can confirm that he's a grade A sh1tebag.

Surprised at that view Jason, Colin has had well publicised problems off the pitch and more personal tragedy than you would wish on anyone. I've met him briefly on numerous occasions albeit before his various problems and found him an extremely nice guy. I've also yet to hear anyone speak ill of him on a personal level. (Although his creditors might have had a different view I guess)

I do have reservations about him joining the coaching staff based purely on his previous record elsewhere. However I do think some of the terms branded about about him such as "traitor" are ridiculously over the top as I have little doubt that he has genuine affection for the Club and enough belief in his own ability to believe he can make a positive impact.

I believe he is coming back in good faith, whether it turns out to be a success remains to be seen.

Surprised at that view Jason, Colin has had well publicised problems off the pitch and more personal tragedy than you would wish on anyone. I've met him briefly on numerous occasions albeit before his various problems and found him an extremely nice guy. I've also yet to hear anyone speak ill of him on a personal level. (Although his creditors might have had a different view I guess)

I do have reservations about him joining the coaching staff based purely on his previous record elsewhere. However I do think some of the terms branded about about him such as "traitor" are ridiculously over the top as I have little doubt that he has genuine affection for the Club and enough belief in his own ability to believe he can make a positive impact.

I believe he is coming back in good faith, whether it turns out to be a success remains to be seen.

Fair enough Rev, you can only speak as you find.

The stuff that I know to be true, regardless of grief, are IMO, despicable.

I can only add this, with regard to his managerial skills, a young proffessional who played for him at Clyde (Juan Carrio)

see below

Carrio joined Clyde from Motherwell in July 2007. He signed a YTS contract with Clyde, and was part of their Under 19 side. He captained Clyde in 4–1 Reserve League Cup Final victory over Livingston in May 2008.[1] Carrio only made one first team appearance, as a substitute in a Scottish Cup tie against Montrose. He was released in June 2008 along with the rest of the YTS players.[2

Juan told me Colin was brilliant, helped the young lads so much and got a real good young squad in the reserves, all he said would have come through but after Colin left due to Denises illness, the new manager got rid of all the YTS players!!

"So I've stated he cares for the club and you come along with blackpool? What on earth does that have to do with Hendry's feelings for Rovers?"

What you ACTUALLY said if double checking was that people who have worked with him speak highly of him. It is there in black and white. I pointed out Blackpool players were very happy to be shut of him, as were those in charge of the club.

As you chose to mention these people, explain who they are and why they are relevant to this discussion and why you therefore value their opinions so highly.

Please be sure to prove they 1) Know Hendry 2) Know all the people involved 3) Know exactly how he thinks 3) Know more than has been reported 4) Have been to Austria.... :blink: 5) Live at Brockhall...

Otherwise you are going to look a bit stupid after levelling those silly questions at me as though they had any relevance at all.

So agreed, lets go right back to the beginning like you say as we definately need that now.

He was a shocking manager. He was proved to be a liar, a cheat and a drunk. He has had his own personal tragedy which I sympathise with. I instantly forgot the great service he did for the club when openly criticised the fans and backed Steve Kean. He is just another 'yes man' that Kean has surrounded himself with. He won't bring anything to the party.

He was a shocking manager. He was proved to be a liar, a cheat and a drunk. He has had his own personal tragedy which I sympathise with. I instantly forgot the great service he did for the club when openly criticised the fans and backed Steve Kean. He is just another 'yes man' that Kean has surrounded himself with. He won't bring anything to the party.

I'm totally with you RoyRover, but if Hendry was placed here to push Kean out and we ended up with a Hendry/Black management team with Kean being completely removed from the club. Then i'd be prepared to bend for this scenario in the short term at least.

I'm totally with you RoyRover, but if Hendry was placed here to push Kean out

Yeah alright JAL, think that if it gives you something to hope for.

This is a Kean appointment all over. He's got a former player to back him up and stick up for him against the fans.

Once again, divide and conquer.

I'm totally with you RoyRover, but if Hendry was placed here to push Kean out and we ended up with a Hendry/Black management team with Kean being completely removed from the club. Then i'd be prepared to bend for this scenario in the short term at least.

I think one of the new signings has been made with a managerial role in mind!! ;)

Perhaps he felt him getting a job at Rovers would be best for the club? That he could help Rovers? So he said what he said to put himself in that position?

That is almost an Agnewesque statement. He backed Kean and took the job for cash end of story, at no point has he considered the club or fans and by association with Kean and Co. he has sullied his own reputation.

As for him being an alternative to Kean, that would show almost as much stupidity as the initial employment of Coco, his managerial track record is abysmal.

• Moderation Lead

My personal view is- Hendry is skint, and needs a job, he'll say anything to keep said job. All this talk about being a former Rover is lip service. Anyone who sides with Kean who used to play for the club and was indeed a legend then, has p1ssed all over any good memories I had of said player ultimately.

My personal view is- Hendry is skint, and needs a job, he'll say anything to keep said job. All this talk about being a former Rover is lip service. Anyone who sides with Kean who used to play for the club and was indeed a legend then, has p1ssed all over any good memories I had of said player ultimately.

Would all be forgiven though, if he were to replace Kean and win matches.

C'mon K-Hod you know how fickle football is.

I bet he does! :o:lol:

Archived