BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Colin Hendry - An Asset?

369 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Hendry as assistant manager should Black leave?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know enough to judge

If you're referring to the comments about the ST deal, then yes I have. I have no doubt that he was asked to comment on it and was told about the '13 free games', but it's the sort of thing professional athletes say all of the time. I am sure that he wants more fans to attend, that his desire to have a stadium full of supporters is genuine and he probably honestly believes that saying something like that may help. It's a throwaway interview, but one that mentions a few important figures and one where the intent is correct.

He has come to the highest bidder Eddie.

Do not be fooled into thinking he is here for any other reason. He has no affiliation to Rovers, he could have got a club in the prem but he has a year left, maybe two and he is probably getting paid double what anyone else would have given him.

You're probably right. No point getting on at him for doing an interview like that. He will have been told what to say, but all players are these days.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Colin Hendry story is very sad indeed i wouldn't wish a death of a spouse on anybody. but to think he had the riches of playing in two title winning sides and had the clubs supporters in his pocket with his displays on the pitch, with many footballers it can be thier conduct off the pitch which can soil people's memory of them.

As I said he obviously had it all. money, car the wife and family and the love of the fans and yet it still didn;t seem to be enough that he needed to borrow a huge sum of money from a friend after Denise passed for legal bills and to keep up payments on his luxury lifestyle in Lytham.

I can only go off what i have read and heard as i don;t know him personally.

His management record isn;t the best so i am unsure what Hendry can add to the backroom team and even Kean has got more experience in coaching. you can say that Kean will use Hendry to HIS advantage of that he used to be regarded as mr Indespenable by the clubs fans and became a firm favourite so that when the going gets tough in the Championship (and it will) Kean will send out Hendry to appease the supporters and defend him.

Can only hope that Hendry hasn't sold his soul to the devil in order relieve his money worries(if he still has them) or he genually wants to become a firm favourite with the fans again and help us back up.

i hope it's the later but it's probably the former

Hendry = Latest bullsh1t man. "We've got a top coaching team here with Steve, Eric Black and Ian Brunskill blah blah blah" Really? Then how the hell did we let all those goals in and get relegated? Good job we don't have a crap coaching team isn't it?

So so glad none of my money is going to that lot. 4 miles from Ewood yet I've never ever felt so distant from BRFC. Ewood park and the blue and white halves are the only things left down there that I have any affinity with. Not the owners, not the management and not even the players. Nowt but a corrupt bunch of chancers with not a care for the best interests of the club in the lot of em.

Hendry = Latest bullsh1t man. "We've got a top coaching team here with Steve, Eric Black and Ian Brunskill blah blah blah" Really? Then how the hell did we let all those goals in and get relegated? Good job we don't have a crap coaching team isn't it?

So so glad none of my money is going to that lot. 4 miles from Ewood yet I've never ever felt so distant from BRFC. Ewood park and the blue and white halves are the only things left down there that I have any affinity with. Not the owners, not the management and not even the players.

+1

Hendry = Latest bullsh1t man. "We've got a top coaching team here with Steve, Eric Black and Ian Brunskill blah blah blah"

Sickening to listen to...why Hendry?

So so glad none of my money is going to that lot. 4 miles from Ewood yet I've never ever felt so distant from BRFC. Ewood park and the blue and white halves are the only things left down there that I have any affinity with. Not the owners, not the management and not even the players. Nowt but a corrupt bunch of chancers with not a care for the best interests of the club in the lot of em.

+ 100

Its a very sad situation,the club has basically been hijacked.It feels as though they have the club in a strangle hold and a ring of Steel around Ewood.Despite all protests NOBODY has been able to touch these 'squatters' while they seemingly strenghten their positions....despite all the utter failure and tragedy of their tenure to date.

They seem to hold all the Aces...very depressing :(

He's always been a gobby arse hole, nothing new for Danny "Blackburn are a dirty team" Murphy

hang on a minute!!

I too read the interview and to say it sounded contrived is an understatement.All that balls about number 13 on my shirt and 13 free games rubbish.HOWEVER, i don't think anybody could envisage us capturing that sort of player once we went down.To be fair (on this very isolated occasion) if they dont pay a big salary then how do they attract quality players?? there's a fair bit of '' damned if you do , damned if you don't about all this''.If you are a fan with any feeling at all then calling a decent signing a gobby arsehole before he kicks a ball is ridiculous.I can only conclude you are wanting us to lose games and go down again are you??Otherwise what players do you want them to buy?

My biggest problem with all this is why it didnt happen when we had a chance of staying up??? Worse than that , where has all the money for these deals suddenly come from?? I cant think the owners have emptied their own pockets to gamble on us going back up so that suggests the club is being plunged into debt somewhere .The most worrying thing about that with these clowns in charge is what state the Club will be in if we dont go back up.The current squad wages bill must by now be massive even with relegation clauses and with only £16m parachute money coming in (naff all ST sales/sponsors etc) it don't stack up.So either we are yet to see a mass exodus or we will be playing our home games in the Algarve shortly. I really fear for where this Club will be in 10 months time.

So the Danny Murphy PR splurge is minor and there is no need to attack a guy who has yet to play a minute for us -just look at the bigger, much darker picture ..Exciting times ahead Kean? I will put that on your ridiculous quotes page.

hang on a minute!!

I too read the interview and to say it sounded contrived is an understatement.All that balls about number 13 on my shirt and 13 free games rubbish.HOWEVER, i don't think anybody could envisage us capturing that sort of player once we went down.To be fair (on this very isolated occasion) if they dont pay a big salary then how do they attract quality players?? there's a fair bit of '' damned if you do , damned if you don't about all this''.If you are a fan with any feeling at all then calling a decent signing a gobby arsehole before he kicks a ball is ridiculous.I can only conclude you are wanting us to lose games and go down again are you??Otherwise what players do you want them to buy?

My biggest problem with all this is why it didnt happen when we had a chance of staying up??? Worse than that , where has all the money for these deals suddenly come from?? I cant think the owners have emptied their own pockets to gamble on us going back up so that suggests the club is being plunged into debt somewhere .The most worrying thing about that with these clowns in charge is what state the Club will be in if we dont go back up.The current squad wages bill must by now be massive even with relegation clauses and with only £16m parachute money coming in (naff all ST sales/sponsors etc) it don't stack up.So either we are yet to see a mass exodus or we will be playing our home games in the Algarve shortly. I really fear for where this Club will be in 10 months time.

So the Danny Murphy PR splurge is minor and there is no need to attack a guy who has yet to play a minute for us -just look at the bigger, much darker picture ..Exciting times ahead Kean? I will put that on your ridiculous quotes page.

Good post , personally think an exodus of players will happen !!! Murphy and Best have been signed to get a few bums on seats ,knowing full well the exodus will fund the costs ,,,Gomes signing is daft as for the others little is known...Silva looks like he is not coming surprise surprise !

It wouldn't surprise me if we made no more signings and then the exodus starts with Kean blaming the fans for not renewing !

Without this message board would people be aware of Hendry's antics in his private life? Speaking to my dad earlier and he was quite happy about him being offered a role at the club, he had no idea about THAT website, not sure I would either if I didn't come on here. I doubt my old man is the only fan who was a bit in the dark about all that carry on....

Without this message board would people be aware of Hendry's antics in his private life? Speaking to my dad earlier and he was quite happy about him being offered a role at the club, he had no idea about THAT website, not sure I would either if I didn't come on here. I doubt my old man is the only fan who was a bit in the dark about all that carry on....

Will he have the decency to start repaying some of the innocent victims of his bankruptcy now that he is earning again.

Somehow, I doubt it.

hang on a minute!!

He is a gobby arse hole, always has been since his Liverpool days, it has nothing to do with his footballing ability, its everything to do with him opening his mouth.

His record at coaching and managerial level is poor. He'll fit right in.

http://www.soccerbas...manager_id=1906

But hes not coming in as a Manager, hes coming in as a coach, i think we know some good coaches dont make good managers...

This can going be a good thing for the club, if anyone else was the manager there would be nothing said bad about this, starting to think some people's hatred of kean is blinding them, that they cant accept any appointment while hes here

Quite true, but that's the way it is. If Hendry were coming in as coach under a competent manager you might think "let's see what happens" even if you had heard all the off the field stuff about him because you'd think that if he was no good a competent manager would get rid soon enough. However, a combination of the allegations against him, the way he last left rovers, the fact that his record is not that good and then his alliance with Kean, means he has little chance of getting any support whatsoever from many fans.

Quite true, but that's the way it is. If Hendry were coming in as coach under a competent manager you might think "let's see what happens" even if you had heard all the off the field stuff about him because you'd think that if he was no good a competent manager would get rid soon enough. However, a combination of the allegations against him, the way he last left rovers, the fact that his record is not that good and then his alliance with Kean, means he has little chance of getting any support whatsoever from many fans.

every player and employee thats joined rovers since kean has been manager should not be given a chance ?

99% of people have some sort of black mark againt them.. im sure there current employers dont hold the past againt them, if every mistake was held against everyone we would not get anywhere.

Just a side question.. I wonder if Colin Hendry has his coaching badges :-)

Hendry was offered a job. He needed it. He took it.

Don't blame him.

Legend, though? No, that's now gone.

The last line pretty much sums it up for me. THAT document had its own thread on here ages ago I remember reading it and he went from childhood hero to almost zero in my eyes. Like others have said though, he'll fit right in with the current mob.

every player and employee thats joined rovers since kean has been manager should not be given a chance ?

99% of people have some sort of black mark againt them.. im sure there current employers dont hold the past againt them, if every mistake was held against everyone we would not get anywhere.

I don't know if he does or not, but it would not matter to either the Venky's or Kean one way or the other and that is the point people are making generally on this thread.

Hendry has been appointed as he is a good drinking buddy of Kean, will not rock the boat and will toe the party line, needs the money and had some affinity with the fans due to his previous links with Rovers.

Notice that I did not say he was the most qualified person for the role - in much the same way as shelving salesman Shaw, third rate Scottish coach Kean, newspaper reporter turned PR man Agnew, or the tv pundit were recruited.

Of course not every mistake should be held against people. The point is that Hendry appears to have done more than one or two things wrong. (I say appears, notice, as I do not know how true some of the stuff is) he has also been less than complimentary about fans and has then allied himself with Kean, not just Blackburn rovers, and has been taken on because he is on Kean's side, not because he is the best available for the job. As I said, under a competent manager, even with all the stuff he has supposedly done, he'd get a chance from most, but under Kean, firmly in Kean's camp, no, he won't be, and probably shouldn't expect to be, welcomed by fans.

I don't know if he does or not, but it would not matter to either the Venky's or Kean one way or the other and that is the point people are making generally on this thread.

Hendry has been appointed as he is a good drinking buddy of Kean, will not rock the boat and will toe the party line, needs the money and had some affinity with the fans due to his previous links with Rovers.

Notice that I did not say he was the most qualified person for the role - in much the same way as shelving salesman Shaw, third rate Scottish coach Kean, newspaper reporter turned PR man Agnew, or the tv pundit were recruited.

If Rovers could attract the most qualified people for roles within the club we would be laughing..

Drinking buddys.. im sure we had santa cruz's brother on the pay role, im sure Paul Dalglish was on the books to keep KD happy.

Im sure if you look at other clubs there are people on the pay role to keep others happy..

Im not sure there anything wrong with kean being scottish..?

Archived