BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roy Hodgson - Assessment

I think Hodgson will keep his job- quite rightly as he has had very little time to work with the players - but I was just wondering what everyone’s impression is of him as an international manager. For me he has done okay – better than McClaren, similar to Capello, not quite as good as SGE – falling into the wellworn England groove of being well organised, unspectacular and consistently beating the teams we should beat – but then falling down when we play superior or equivalent opposition.

One thing that really stood out in the analysis of yesterday’s game is how England’s midfield was totally dominated. We were defensively very well organised but Parker and Gerrard just could not cope against the worldclass midfield trio that Italy had. It does seem a pretty enormous tactical error which Hodgson did not correct across any of the 120 minutes. You do have to wonder If Welbeck had been dropped and Chamberlaine played centrally (or indeed if he had dropped Rooney into midfield) whether that would have made the difference. In Hodgson’s defence he might have done that if Lampard or Barry had been available, but felt we didn't have a third midfield specailist to play in the centre….

I suppose a big question mark is if ‘Arry could have made a better selection against Italy.

It will be interesting to see how Hodgson develops the team over time with Wilshire back who does look like he can genuinely be a first rate player. On the other hand Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, A Cole and Parker must all be on their way out by 2014 and you have to ask if the likes of Barry, Rodwell and Cleverley can take up the reigns. It looks pretty unlikely as it stands… At least Rooney has another two tournaments in him.

In the first 10-15 it looked as if Rooney had been assigned to stick within 5 yards of Pirlo when not in possession. We didn't really get to see the full effectiveness of this plan however as after the 15 has passed Rooney pushed higher up the pitch leaving Pirol unchecked. During the second half there were several occasions on which I saw England players struggling to comprehend just who was supposed to be making him and as such he had all the time in the world inside that 20-30 yard circle he set himself in.

Why even mention his job….he had 7 weeks to prepare so he isn’t going to be at risk.

He did quite well considering he had little time to prepare. The one thing I would say is that his squad choice was too safe.

Question marks over people like Milner, Downing, Wellbeck, Kelly who could have been replaced with the likes of A Johnson, Micah Richards, Sturridge etc.

The main thing England need to look at is, who is good at retaining the ball…..Scholes would have made a MASSIVE difference, as would Wilpshire. It’s key England get the youth into the team, and build a midfield around Wilpshire, and also use the pace of Chamberlain somehow.

Hope he can pick players based on form, rather than status…..but not sure he has the balls to risk it against the media.

I think we need to look at the fitness levels of our players, after a bright start we just deteriorated , parker, rooney, gerrard had no lrgs, maybe its why young constantly gave the ball away also - milner should have stayed on and young off, henderson should have got no where near and i still cant fathom why henderson kelly etc were taken leaving johnson and richards at home after they won title. ???

In the short period of time that he had to prepare for the championship and considering the injuries we had (particularly in midfield) Roy has done a very good job.

The “real” job starts now for Roy, he needs to firstly qualify for the world cup and at the sametime develop the team so that they retain the defensive solidity but add some attacking threat. The key thing for me is that he needs to develop a couple of formations that the players are comfortable with, so that the team has some flexibility in terms of different ways to approach games. The second thing he needs to do is to try and introduce players in midfield with technical ability (Wiltshire etc.) we aren’t blessed with this type of player. The FA also need to support the national side by investing in youth football, St Georges Centre is a start but they need to do more.

Overall though I feel that Roy can take the England time forward, after the 2010 world cup we had so many problems, after this European championship many of those problems remain, but at least the players showed pride, passion and commitment.

hodgson could have made a few different selections for the squad but they probably wouldn't have made much difference. with the squad that he had and the time that he had to work with it he did well to get us so close to the semis no matter what the football was like. the lack of technique in the squad is probably a separate issue and one which is going to take 10 years to really change (that's provided we start making the right changes now).

in the meantime, hodgson has to try to bring in what promising young players we do have and integrate them into the side without going backwards in terms of results. i think he's done ok so far but the 4-4-2 will see us wiped out by the top teams.

i think your right bish regarding the 4-4-2 that roy prefers. I dont think it will match up well with the better nations on the international scene. The midfield simply isnt good enough to be setup that way and as the modern game often involves teams playing with 3 in the middle of the park, you will often be a man short.

If you decide to go the way roy seems to go, the 2 central midfielders really needs to be pure class, how else would you match the 3 opposing central midfielders and would it ever be possible to equal or better the opponents in midfield, if the opposition is france, holland, italy, spain, germany and so on. Imo its a no go, overmatched in quality and numbers = what you saw against italy.

against italy, one and really basic part of football, was really neglected by england. When you decide to put the opposing team under pressure, the entire team must follow through and join in. If they dont, you end up looking foolish and in the long run, tired as hell. The headless chicken routine does not work at this level.

In his short period in charge Hodgson has turned the disorganised rabble who played in South Africa into a well organised defensive team that unlike its predecessors in 2010 looks to have pride in playing for its country. Presumably he will lead England into the 2014 World Cup campaign and try to build on this summer by introducing younger players such as Wilshere and Jones. Whether he should continue beyond 2014 is open to doubt - at times in the Italy match he looked as if he would rather be anywhere else than sitting on the England bench and I'm not sure he is comfortable with the job or has the tactical flexibility to be a success at international level. A short-term appointment and England should look elsewhere after 2014.

• Backroom

Given the injuries we've had to deal with and only having just over a month to prepare for the Euro's, I'm pretty chuffed that we ever made it out the group stages. I think Roy has done a very good job all things considered.

I would look at doing what the Germans did in 2010. Keep a few experienced players in there, but basically fill it with youth. Chamberlain, Walcott, A.Young and Adam Johnson would me my wingers for the next squad (assuming availability, ofc).

The likes of Phil Jones, Kyle Walker, Keiron Gibbs, Jack Wilshere, Tom Cleverley, Dan Sturridge etc should all be introduced to international football at a fairly rapid rate with only the likes of Rooney and Hart (in relative terms) and such providing the experience.

Interesting comment I noticed today was that pehaps England should have taken Leon Brittain - the Swansea playmaker rivalled Xavi in the pass completion percentage and had an outstanding season. When you consider we took Jordan Henderson it does not sound like such a daft thought....

Soemone who could retain possession in the middle might have made all the difference.

Looking up the stats, Sir Alf Ramsey became England manager in May, 1963, England somewhat flopped at the 1964 Euro:

England had been drawn against France for a two-legged knockout fixture to progress to the last sixteen qualifiers. The home leg, played under Winterbottom, had been drawn 1-1. Ramsey took charge for the away leg in Paris, which was lost 5-2, England thus being eliminated from the competition.- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf_Ramsey#England

All of England's results here: http://www.eloratings.net/England.htm

So, yes, Roy should stay on, he had a plan, heck, RH managed AC Milan with Pirlo though one can say England really got caught in this game, it had to go to penalties.

A lot of times, I will hear someone say see how Sir Alf Ramsey did in his early time with England.

Yesterday, SGE probably could have done better but I don't think Capello would have however, my personal view is that Capello's belief in John Terry has been vindicated in at least JT is a key figure in the game but can see how this whole affair with JT is a polarising incident with fans.

We will know more when Italy play Germany, however, Italy managed too defeat Germany in overtime at the 2006 World Cup, minutes away from a shootout so surely, the Germans will remember this and probably be up more for this "revenge factor" and Germany probably does have some weaknesses all the same that a good manager might be able to put a good plan against.

Still, the game yesterday was a disaster.

We will know more when Italy play Germany, however, Italy managed too defeat Germany in overtime at the 2006 World Cup, minutes away from a shootout so surely, the Germans will remember this and probably be up more for this "revenge factor" and Germany probably does have some weaknesses all the same that a good manager might be able to put a good plan against.

I remember that I think that cheating, diving scumbag Fabio Grosso scored one of the goals. My German mate tells me Italy are the team they most wanted to beat in this tournament because of that game as the tournament was being held in Germany. He also tells me a lot of Germans wanted Klose to start ahead of Gomez becuase he gets involved more in the play whereas Gomez only comes alive in the box. But Klose looked rusty the other night so maybe not so much after all. I'm still waiting to watch Kroos and Gotze as well. Fair play to Germany they really do have an amazing squad.

The back bone of the England team is still the same as other glorious failures. The time has come to break up the old dependable team. Different managers have come and gone but the majority of the team remains the same as Ericcson. The team now needs rebuilding around the likes of Wilshire in midfield and Jones in defence.

Hodgson has the experience which could prove invaluable to these younger players but whether he has the nerve to rebuild time will tell.

The back bone of the England team is still the same as other glorious failures. The time has come to break up the old dependable team. Different managers have come and gone but the majority of the team remains the same as Ericcson. The team now needs rebuilding around the likes of Wilshire in midfield and Jones in defence.

Hodgson has the experience which could prove invaluable to these younger players but whether he has the nerve to rebuild time will tell.

Yes totally agree, now is the time to say goodbye to Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Parker and probably Gerrard for good and look to the future, it's a brave move, because it would be a nightmare for the manager if it didn't start out well and results suffered.

IMO I would keep probably Lampard and one of Terry and Ferdinand perhaps in the squad for the experience and that. And then play:

Hart

Richards Jones Lescott Baines

Oxlade-Chamberlain ? Wilshere Adam Johnson

Sturridge Rooney

Don't know who to play defensive midfield. Maybe someone like Rodwell. Against the top sides in tournaments drop most likely Rooney and play an extra man in midfield. Maybe Carrick or Milner who is better in the middle.

Looking up the stats, Sir Alf Ramsey became England manager in May, 1963, England somewhat flopped at the 1964 Euro:

All of England's results here: http://www.eloratings.net/England.htm

So, yes, Roy should stay on, he had a plan, heck, RH managed AC Milan with Pirlo though one can say England really got caught in this game, it had to go to penalties.

A lot of times, I will hear someone say see how Sir Alf Ramsey did in his early time with England.

I remember that France v England game well, it was played on a bone hard, icy pitch in Paris and French had a great player called Raymond Kopa from Real Madrid playing as a deep lie ing centre forward, he ran us ragged , they were up for it and we weren't. A month later and we went on a European tour.

Czechoslovakia 2- England 4. Nobody put four past the Czechs at home in those days.

East Germany 1- England 2. Obviously another tough away game.

Switzerland 1- England 8 , played the reserve team for this one.

When we got back we played -

Wales 1- England 4

England 8- Northern Ireland 3

After that we were up and running . Nobody fancied playing us then. We could defend and we could attack.

Yesterday, SGE probably could have done better but I don't think Capello would have however, my personal view is that Capello's belief in John Terry has been vindicated in at least JT is a key figure in the game but can see how this whole affair with JT is a polarising incident with fans.

Don't what happened to the above post, bit of a mixture.

As well as better youth coaching, we should also look at making the Premiership 16 or 17 teams and scrapping the league cup. Far too much football played.

Disagree Bryan. Seria A play 38 matches and Italy didn't seem tired.

I've heard all these excuses before. We stopped playing the Sat before an international fixture cos players would be tired, we went from 42 matches down to 38 cos players would be tired, we cut out never ending cup replays and introduced penalties cos players would be tired. And guess what?..... It hasn't made a scrap of difference.

Why not ban pre season money spinning tours? That would make more sense. and if you cut Prem matches down pre season tours will increase.

After the 2008 euro qualifiers and the 2010 world cup it was just refreshing watching an England team play with pride and passion. We can debate tactics, squad selection and fitness but the players were pushing the pain barriers against Italy. Roy has instilled a sense of pride and for that I would say this tournament has been a huge success.

Another interesting question - how does the Olympic GB compate to the England Euro side? I would say the two sides are pretty evenly matched to be honest.... Conjecture as the squad has not been announced and it depends on players recovering from injury, and being released by their clubs, but I would say this lot could beat England on a good day…

-------------------- Sturridge

----Bale------Josh McEachran---Bellamy

------------Beckham-----Ramsey

Gibbs----Smalling-------Ferdinand----Walker

---------------------Butland

Hodgson can"t make a silk purse out of a cow"s ear. With the players he has he probably got as far as you would expect. I was a bit surprised though at how inept in all areas we were on Sunday, and how he couldn't"t seem to get the players to follow any kind of plan. I would give him the next 2 yers and see how it goes but with the dirth of talent coming through I won"t be expecting much.

Hodgson can"t make a silk purse out of a cow"s ear. With the players he has he probably got as far as you would expect. I was a bit surprised though at how inept in all areas we were on Sunday, and how he couldn't"t seem to get the players to follow any kind of plan. I would give him the next 2 yers and see how it goes but with the dirth of talent coming through I won"t be expecting much.

Dirth of talent coming through.. Cleverly, JonJo, Jones, Rose, Walker, Wilshire, Walcott, Kelly, Lansbury, Sturridge, Smalling, Welbeck, Zaha, the Ox, Caulker, Whickham, Rodwell, Henderson and Gosling.. I actually thought we had some very decent players coming through, and allot of them are already first team regulars for their respective clubs.. Wilshire for me is better than anything we have in the middle of the park atm, Sturridge is a far better striker than Carroll or Defoe IMO and our selection of defenders are not exactly awful.

Archived