BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] GAME THREAD - Ipswich Town Away 12/13

m1st

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I went to the Everton away game last season, I was sat with the Everton fans (got my mates season ticket for free being from Liverpool), all the Everton seemed confused on how we could be one of the worst teams in the league. All seemed sure we wouldn't go down because there was "worse" teams than us in the league. The point is maybe there was worse teams but they had organised managers who had a clue on how to organise a side.

I get the feeling I could be hearing this "Not poor enough to go down" this season too. Frankly it's possible we will though.

that was probably our best performance of the season. nzonzi and petrovic ran that game. still didnt win though but its the only game i can think of where we looked better than the other team

Can't comment on specifics as I'm not in the country, nor in the permission to watch any highlights but a draw away from home is a decent first game of the season for anyone not nailed on for promotion. And I don't know of anyone who is. Best result out of all the newly promoted teams, new boy scoring and own goals are obviously unfortunate. I'm guessing with all things considered the fans are relatively... appalled, no doubt.

we played awful and it was down to how he had us set up. i know you have a strange belief that we are better than what we are but your upbeat look on things are bemusing

Parsonblue's match report is now published to the front page here.

Thanks Parson - and thanks to all of the fans who went to the game and put their reviews in this topic.

Sounds as though this summers transfer window went the same way as the last ones under Kean, plenty of signings, most of whom Kean probably knew little about. More airy fairy midfielders who wouldn't have got an English club otherwise, plus two or three 30+ year olds who probably wouldn't have got the contracts that Rovers gave them elsewhere. Only one game gone I know, but Gomez is a player with a huge reputation and according to the reports I've read - and heard on the Radio, he had nothing to offer. That doesn't bode well for this season, because surely if he still had any kind of class or form, someone would have seen something at Ipswich? If he has shown nothing at all, then we know why he's at blackburn Rovers. Any views on that anyone?

For the people who watched the game, did Formica keep losing possession because he was getting knocked off the ball, was it because he kept passing it to the opposition, or was it a bit of both?

To be honest he hardly featured in the game. I honestly don't remember him having any impact on the game. Rather like Gomes he seemed to find the pace of the game too quick for him. This is why I fear that the young Portuguese lads are going to take at least a season to adapt to English football. Formica has been here 18 months and like Rochina is struggling to come to terms with the English game.

For the people who watched the game, did Formica keep losing possession because he was getting knocked off the ball, was it because he kept passing it to the opposition, or was it a bit of both?

Formica has done nothing since he arrived at the club Salgado.

Personally I was amazed and delighted by the support for Pedersen. A lot of the people I see abusing him at games actually seem to enjoy doing it so for even some of them to stick up for him was reassuring. He's a rovers player at the end of the day, and if he's trying his best then we as fans should defend him. So great stuff everyone who did.

Thanks Parson - and thanks to all of the fans who went to the game and put their reviews in this topic.

Sounds as though this summers transfer window went the same way as the last ones under Kean, plenty of signings, most of whom Kean probably knew little about. More airy fairy midfielders who wouldn't have got an English club otherwise, plus two or three 30+ year olds who probably wouldn't have got the contracts that Rovers gave them elsewhere. Only one game gone I know, but Gomez is a player with a huge reputation and according to the reports I've read - and heard on the Radio, he had nothing to offer. That doesn't bode well for this season, because surely if he still had any kind of class or form, someone would have seen something at Ipswich? If he has shown nothing at all, then we know why he's at blackburn Rovers. Any views on that anyone?

I dunno....you could give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's his first game.....hardly any foreign players play well in their first games in England.....Ben Arfa, Van Der Vaart and Aguero are the only recent exceptions I can think of......maybe his role was unclear.....I didn't see the game tho so it's all just speculation on my part.

Formica has done nothing since he arrived at the club Salgado.

But if he took an occasional good set piece I'm sure he would be a vital part of our team.

But if he took an occasional good set piece I'm sure he would be a vital part of our team.

It would help.

What I don't understand, is why when Peds covers more ground than anyone else and makes more goals than anyone else that's not enough - which it isn't, to be fair, Formica's only attribute of running a lot is deemed enough for him to be a first team regular by many on here.

Explain that to me?

I dunno....you could give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's his first game.....hardly any foreign players play well in their first games in England.....Ben Arfa, Van Der Vaart and Aguero are the only recent exceptions I can think of......maybe his role was unclear.....I didn't see the game tho so it's all just speculation on my part.

Perhaps it's unfair to judge him on one game but Gomez looked slow and off the pace of the game. He was always second to the ball and won little or nothing in the air. I'm afraid I cannot see how a 36-year-old coming in from abroad is going have any impact a team that already is full of "old" legs.

As regards Formica at Portman Road he did what he always does - quite neat and can retain possession but is not quick, cannot beat a man, does not deliver telling passes, is weak in the tackle and apart from not scoring goals offers absolutely no attacking threat. He's one of those players who you wonder how they ever made it as a professional.

From what ive seen and heard Formica was his usual self. He's looks a busy player cause to be fair he does a lot of closing down and tracking but with no end product as he never wins, tackles or blocks the ball. Just another whose never going to be suited to any English league i think. In short Venkys have had their pants well an truly pulled down on that one by we know who. Good to hear Dann had a decent game for once, hope he's turned the corner.

It would help.

What I don't understand, is why when Peds covers more ground than anyone else and makes more goals than anyone else that's not enough

I keep hearing this "Pedersen covers more ground" stat. That's cos he's so slow in the first place. By the time he gets to where he should be to block or tackle the ball has gone so he sets off again. Plus every time a winger or full back skips past him he has to set off running back after them.

If you put me and Usain Bolt in a chichen pen and we had to catch the chicken, I would cover more ground than Bolt.

The only plus point in this is that MGP is obviously fit and can keep running at his one pace (unlike Dunn)

From what ive seen and heard Formica was his usual self. He's looks a busy player cause to be fair he does a lot of closing down and tracking but with no end product as he never wins, tackles or blocks the ball. Just another whose never going to be suited to any English league i think. In short Venkys have had their pants well an truly pulled down on that one by we know who. Good to hear Dann had a decent game for once, hope he's turned the corner.

it might be different with a different manager but, for me, he doesn't look good enough to do it out wide in england. he's tidy enough but i've rarely seen him put someone through or look a real goal threat. i think rochina has something more about him but it will need a decent manager to get it. why the hell we signed gomes when we had simon, dunn, rochina, formica and rosado i will never know but it's probably something to do with agent fees going where they shouldn't...

I keep hearing this "Pedersen covers more ground" stat. That's cos he's so slow in the first place. By the time he gets to where he should be to block or tackle the ball has gone so he sets off again. Plus every time a winger or full back skips past him he has to set off running back after them.

If you put me and Usain Bolt in a chichen pen and we had to catch the chicken, I would cover more ground than Bolt.

The only plus point in this is that MGP is obviously fit and can keep running at his one pace (unlike Dunn)

Right but would you agree he was better than Formica, Gomes and Etuhu yesterday? Formica was identical to Pedersen but didn't create a goal, Gomes was off the pace from start to finish and didn't contribute anything, and Etuhu's distribution was very poor.

Personally I don't want to have to defend Pedersen all the time because its obvious he's a shadow of his former self, we do have better players, and I'd prefer to talk about how promising the performances of Kazim-Richards and Murphy were. But this singling out of him by our fans pretty much every single game is blatantly unfair when he's rarely actually been the worst player.

Right but would you agree he was better than Formica, Gomes and Etuhu yesterday? Formica was identical to Pedersen but didn't create a goal, Gomes was off the pace from start to finish and didn't contribute anything, and Etuhu's distribution was very poor.

Personally I don't want to have to defend Pedersen all the time because its obvious he's a shadow of his former self, we do have better players, and I'd prefer to talk about how promising the performances of Kazim-Richards and Murphy were. But this singling out of him by our fans pretty much every single game is blatantly unfair when he's rarely actually been the worst player.

Yep, that's how I see it as well.

I was referring to that 'covers more ground' stat in general rather than with regards to the Ipswich game. I didn't see the game but I agree Formica has done very little since he joined and have serious doubts about Gomes being anywhere near effective enough now even at this level. The reports of a poor game by Etuhu are worrying as I thought he would be a decent signing.

Individual performances were clearly disappointing but I wouldn't write any player off until they have the chance to perform for a real Manager.

Having said that, I fear we have spent the last 20 months signing the sort of players we rightly used to laugh at other clubs for signing.

Yep, that's how I see it as well.

Pedersen lost the ball a couple of times through mis-controlling the ball, something he does quite regularly.

I wouldn't have as many bad touches as him and I'm well off championship standard.

For me three players stood out as not being good enough. Pedersen, Formica and Gomes.

• Moderation Lead

I went to the game, and I was happy with CKR, thought he was our best player. Dann even played alright.

Kean and his daft tactics of sitting back and 'protecting wor lead' where eerily reminiscent of Sunderland away last season where we got mugged 2-1 at the death, could easily have happened on Saturday as well.

It would help.

What I don't understand, is why when Peds covers more ground than anyone else and makes more goals than anyone else that's not enough - which it isn't, to be fair, Formica's only attribute of running a lot is deemed enough for him to be a first team regular by many on here.

Explain that to me?

last season Formica's continuing selection just behind the striker with Hoilett put back onto the left wing after his incredible impact as support striker at the back end of the season before contributed massively to our relegation. The only logical explanation is that somebody must be 'having a taste' of the Formica deal. No prizes for guessing who.

Pederson spent more time drinking water,I was gona buy him a beer at halftime,but they didn't sell any

Relevence?

After watching both the rovers game and Burnley v Bolton we are really gonna get a spanking off the dingles.

All of there team are superfit and hungry. Everything we are not. They might run riot if we don't get Kean out!!!

Not going to disagree that, with Kean in charge, we might lose our proud record against the Dingle's this season. But personally I wouldn't read too much into opening day games - they often throw up unusual results and performances - any QPR fan will tell you ^_^

Archived